Blizzard's in-game meters vs Recount et al.

90 Tauren Druid
Yesterday I was threatened with kick from LFR Will for being top DPS (seriously). I asked the guy what he was on about and he said that the meter proved I was doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
I wonder how much of the community actually doesn't use addons.

I know for many years I didn't run recount and it did affect my dps. In those days I'd hope someone would link damage done at the end of the heroic so I could see how I measured up.

In a similar vein, who would want to dps a target-dummy if you couldn't get useful information from it?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Well, the target dummy does have the major limitation that you are missing most of the raid buffs and debuffs.

I'd like to see a "buffed dummy", if you are standing near the dummy then you gain all buffs , and the dummy is afflicted by all debuffs.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Actually, no, DPS and damage done represent the same values. If your damage meter has someone doing more dps than a person they did less damage than, it's an artifact of the meter. You know, just like I posted above.EDIT:To clarify, if your Arcane Mage bursts 200kdps and dies 40 seconds into the fight, and at the end of the fight your damage meter has him as the top dps, it means your damage meter is very stupid, not that DPS and Damage Done are not intrinsically linked concepts.

I guess you did not read the part about how "different" people view DPS and Damage Done in different ways (the people who made the meters). You probably did not read the part about "putting to much stock into meters" either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/04/2013 03:32 PMPosted by Salilenda
I guess you did not read the part about how "different" people view DPS and Damage Done in different ways (the people who made the meters). You probably did not read the part about "putting to much stock into meters" either.

You realize that your example (a class hitting with large single-hit burst abilities vs a dot class doling out damage in bits and pieces being measured different in "DPS") is completely false, right? And that you bumped a 2 month old thread to add this in?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Blizzard doesn't need to put numbers in people's faces, but they obviously design content around an assumption of a certain DPS output and healing throughput/tank incoming damage. They just need to show you a red/yellow/green/blue/gold indicator

red = far below standard (more than 30% below standard)
yellow = below standard (within -30%)
green = standard (+/- 5%)
blue = above standard (within +30%)
gold = far above standard (move than 30%)

This would apply for DPS (damage), healing (effective heals or absorbs) and tanking (actual damage taken).

Most guilds have no idea they what they are deficient in unless they have one person who has the knowledge to check world of logs (and even then, that kind of person doesn't stay in those kinds of guilds for very long).

While good in theory, the type of guild/person this would help, IMO, is one which also cannot stand being told what to do and "wants to play my way". You know the ones who say "no one is forcing you to play x spec even though its 2x more dps on that fight"?

It's pretty similar to the idea of, should Blizzard do more to teach players? My general response is: people HATE being told what to do. They do that and tons get offended.

Also, people would view something like that as the end all of checking performance. Even though obviously any serious or semi serious raider doesn't go solely by recount, they just use it as a quick method during progression without going through logs. But pugs and lower tier guilds would. And that wouldn't be pretty.
Edited by Chïrpa on 2/6/2013 9:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
please don't feed the trolls.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]