Smuggling into Gilneas

90 Blood Elf Hunter
I just made worgen and I was thinking about his back story, I want him to be from Lorderean and there are a few ways that is possible. I was wondering though, after the Greymane Wall was erected, would there be any smuggling lines going in or out of the city?

Also I'm aware that this might be lore breaking, don't get me wrong I'm not expecting to have people give me a trophy for trying, but please if you feel a vehement hatred do not post.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I believe there are mentions of Crowley and his rebels smuggling in cannons and such into Gilneas City during the first part of Worgen questing. However, from what I recall, it isn't explicitly stated if it came from beyond the Wall, or if they just brought them in from rebellion-sympathizing hideouts in the country.

Could you go into more detail as to what you'd had in mind for the backstory? Can't really critique it without a bit more detail.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
It could be possible, I can't remember the lore for the Gilnean pirates who you kill in the Booty Bay questline...

And finding them, nope - seems Gilneas was sealed by sea as well.

I mean... it's possible smugglers could get in, that's what they specialize in after all. Granted, getting in over land would be nearly impossible, it'd take getting in from sea to be effective in any way - and I could only see it happening if he was smuggling at the time of Crowley and the rebels - if as Marriama said, the cannons were brought in from beyond the Wall or from sympathizers and fellow rebels.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
you could say you moved into gilneas before the wall was erected
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I believe there are mentions of Crowley and his rebels smuggling in cannons and such into Gilneas City during the first part of Worgen questing. However, from what I recall, it isn't explicitly stated if it came from beyond the Wall, or if they just brought them in from rebellion-sympathizing hideouts in the country.

Could you go into more detail as to what you'd had in mind for the backstory? Can't really critique it without a bit more detail.

I was thinking about being born in Westfall and participating in the third war and into the Northrend campaign, I realize though that there isn't a way to get back into Gilneas after that. So I wanted to have my character get into Gilneas by using smuggling lines.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
it's possible but any information on how well gilneas was closed off from the sea is really really foggy

gilneas has ports and it is stated they were closed off, we don't know how they were closed off or just abandoned?

and that it also had shelter from cliffs and reefs

and yet

the forsaken still manage to get in?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Mmm... To be honest? It does sound a bit contrived. What would your character's motivation be in going to a country that'd declared itself neutral and sealed itself off for a number of years prior to the Third War? Why would they just so happen to be in the area to do this? And (roughly) when would all of this be taking place?

And Dragon, it's stated in questing in the Worgen zone that the reefs and such were destroyed by the early rumblings of the Cataclysm, which the Forsaken fleets seized upon seized upon... only for their early landing force to just so happen to be caught at the site of a major earthquake.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
12/03/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Marriama
And Dragon, it's stated in questing in the Worgen zone that the reefs and such were destroyed by the early rumblings of the Cataclysm, which the Forsaken fleets seized upon seized upon... only for their early landing force to just so happen to be caught at the site of a major earthquake.

ahhh

i missed that

but i also only did the whole zone once, at the start of cata
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/03/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Alenlor
I was thinking about being born in Westfall and participating in the third war and into the Northrend campaign, I realize though that there isn't a way to get back into Gilneas after that. So I wanted to have my character get into Gilneas by using smuggling lines.

Eh, I'd say have them be from Lordaeron, or maybe Pyrewood and Ambermill. If from Lordaeron your character could have been an enterprising smuggler who wanted to make a quick amount of money on goods that couldn't be purchased in Gilneas - or even charging Gilneans for moving letters and packages to and from relatives in Lordaeron/beyond the wall.

Pyrewood and Ambermill would have him being a Gilnean who was locked out, and he became a smuggler more to get in and see relatives again than to make any money off of people.

Sadly, no matter which it is, we still run into the same problem of not knowing how well Gilneas was sealed off... I mean, we know the worgen were able to get in - but they're inhuman beasts.

Sea is probably the only way you could theoretically get in and out of Gilneas safely - a small single-man boat with a high-bottom so reefs would be no major problem.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
12/03/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Maoseitun

Eh, I'd say have them be from Lordaeron, or maybe Pyrewood and Ambermill. If from Lordaeron your character could have been an enterprising smuggler who wanted to make a quick amount of money on goods that couldn't be purchased in Gilneas - or even charging Gilneans for moving letters and packages to and from relatives in Lordaeron/beyond the wall.

Pyrewood and Ambermill would have him being a Gilnean who was locked out, and he became a smuggler more to get in and see relatives again than to make any money off of people.

Sadly, no matter which it is, we still run into the same problem of not knowing how well Gilneas was sealed off... I mean, we know the worgen were able to get in - but they're inhuman beasts.

Sea is probably the only way you could theoretically get in and out of Gilneas safely - a small single-man boat with a high-bottom so reefs would be no major problem.

Lorderean was my back up plan, Pyrewood or Ambermill both have very interesting stories. I'm quite surprising my idea wasn't shot within five minutes of me posting; thank you all for the positive feedback, I will work from here. If I receive to much negative feedback I will rework the back story.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/03/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Alenlor
Lorderean was my back up plan, Pyrewood or Ambermill both have very interesting stories. I'm quite surprising my idea wasn't shot within five minutes of me posting; thank you all for the positive feedback, I will work from here. If I receive to much negative feedback I will rework the back story.

Well, y'see, being a smuggler kind of muddles a lot of things - I mean, good smugglers are supposed to be able to get in and out of a tight situation easily. Bad smugglers tend to not last long. And then it comes down to having the proper type of ship and knowing how much you can smuggle in with weight before the reefs would become a real danger again.

So it's hard to shoot down the idea of a smuggler getting stuck in Gilneas from being bitten/scratched by a worgen. I'd say, if you do write the back story - have him be getting in through sea. Only way I can really see it working out well enough.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]