Atonement healing

90 Blood Elf Priest
The new 40 yard change to atonement is really filling a gap in my toolkit.

My healing doesn't feel quite as slow with heavy mastery and i don't have to worry about where the heal is going (during light raid damage) because the damage is substantial enough that I know i'm still helping out the raid.

Plus, i must admit, not having to cancel a cast of heal because the shammy has gotten off a healing wave or monk has done their thing and topped a person off is refreshing.

Hell, on some fights i do more dps than the main tank.

I do wish there was some sort of aoe atonement heal that would function much like a monk's spinning crane kick (decent dmg and healing to everything within range) Maybe a reskin of holy nova targetted on an enemy? Healing percentage would need to be lowered though.

Perhaps 30% of each hit spread across the whole raid. It could be tweaked to make it less overpowered and it could solve some of Disc's extra spread clunkiness(which is mainly due to PoH being our bread and butter aoe heal).

Or, as a completely different idea, give us something else to use Evangelism stacks on. A new ability, sharing a cooldown with Archangel, could cause all of our atonement healing to spread across raid members within 40 yds of the target.

Making it somehow equal to archangel so that it's not just another wasted button would take some tuning, but if it could be worked into a viable ability, i'd be willing to give up some of Disc's hotfixed overpoweredness.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
We really don't need another CD.
Reply Quote
Agreed that we don't need (or want) another CD as disc. Realistically, every healer has a gap or two where they don't excel. Light, smart raid healing is not a niche that disc has ever filled.

Arguably Holy priests can do a little bit of everything, but in exchange they don't excel at any one thing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
On the topic of CDs (even if we don't want "another"...

What do you guys consider your "Oh !@#$, raid is going to die if I don't pop something quick" button? I don't have hymn anymore and it saddens me greatly. What do you guys use? I don't really want a light, raid healing CD because I already have shields to prevent that light damage. For times of heavy damage it would be nice to at least have something, though. :( I know we are preventive, but COME ON, throw me a bone! When (and it will likely happen) disc gets appropriate nerfs, I know I'm going to really want said button. ._. Or I am bad.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
12/03/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Fluffychoo
What do you guys consider your "Oh !@#$, raid is going to die if I don't pop something quick" button? I don't have hymn anymore and it saddens me greatly.

DH was never that button for Disc Priest in Cata. It was only somewhat worthwhile as a boost to better healing cds, like Tranquility, and/or with haste buffs/raidwide Vampiric Brood (blood dk 4pc T13). Otherwise its throughput was absolutely abysmal. PoH spam was better HPS so if you thought the raid was in danger of dying, popping DH would be hastening its demise.

Disc Priests' Spirit Shell is absurdly strong at the moment when used properly. It's on the Disc Priest to use it properly. Conveniently, a lot of encounters have their burst damage lined up just right for SS use (Wind and Blade Lords say hi). The aim of the Disc Priest is to reduce the risk of the raid getting to the brink of death as quickly.

If Blizz has any idea what they're doing right now (which, lol who knows) Disc Priests are not going to be getting additional toys anytime soon. They're hands-down the strongest healers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Quite frankly, Fluffy, we don't have that button. We are a proactive healer.

Other healers have to be the reactive, "OH CRAP" button.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Alright. Fine. >:(

/crosses arms and grudgingly leaves
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Alright. Fine. >:(

/crosses arms and grudgingly leaves

Don't worry, when your Druid hits Tranq, you can take a nice mini-vacation from having everything piled on your back.

It's really lovely.
Reply Quote
I was an Atonement healer in Cat, even when everyone said it sucked, so I was kind of tickled to see it become a permanent aspect of Disc healing. I'd always liked the "battle priest" aspect of Disc. However, it seems to lack focus, to a certain degree. There are many encounters in 5-mans where you can do nothing but Atonement. But when you get into more serious boss fights, you have to drop it for the more obvious direct heals and then you don't seem to maintain enough stacks to really take advantage of Archangel. I suppose the trick is to spam Smite/HF early on before the tank is really taking damage (since you open the fight with him shielded) and then ride Archangel for as long as you can into the fight. Certainly, the range increase might help with that problem, since if you have the tank shielded, you can focus healing on other group members that no longer have to be melee.

I still really haven't gotten the hang of SS, either. It seems to be just another excuse to spam PoH, which already creates bubbles. Does anyone actually use single-target heals to boost SS? It doesn't seem to have a long enough effect period to make that worthwhile.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'll be honest...I only rarely encounter a fight in a 5 man where I actually have to use Archangel.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
12/03/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Tiriél

I really disagree. Disc needs something in that sort of niche. Nothing but Prayer in that regard just feels so damn wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/03/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Aureus

I really disagree. Disc needs something in that sort of niche. Nothing but Prayer in that regard just feels so damn wrong.

We're already tracking Grace, Evangelism stacks, Archangel CD, Pain Supp, Power Word: Barrier, Power Word: Shield (Weakened Soul), Inner Focus, Spirit Shell, Mindbender, Holy Fire, Penance...

And you want ANOTHER CD for us to track? o_O
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
12/03/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Aureus

That doesn't mean we need another CD. It could mean we need another spell—but certainly not a CD.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
12/03/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Tiriél

We're already tracking Grace, Evangelism stacks, Archangel CD, Pain Supp, Power Word: Barrier, Power Word: Shield (Weakened Soul), Inner Focus, Spirit Shell, Mindbender, Holy Fire, Penance...

And you want ANOTHER CD for us to track? o_O

By my last count, we're tracking 17 cooldowns or timers. Around...11 or 12 of which are all a minute or less.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't want to fill the niche of aoe smart raid healing. i just want something to make it a little less punishing. It's frustrating when you have to use PoH for everything aoe. Spirit Shell is incredibly strong, I will agree.

I guess i just want quality of life. My PoH button is getting a bit overused.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

This is pretty much how I feel here. We have this amazing, dynamic and nuanced toolkit for almost everything... and then suddenly when it comes to AoE we just mash PoH.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't want to fill the niche of aoe smart raid healing. i just want something to make it a little less punishing. It's frustrating when you have to use PoH for everything aoe. Spirit Shell is incredibly strong, I will agree.

If it's frustrating when you have to use PoH for everything else, you need to train your raid.

Our weakness is spotty incoming damage, and damage we can't predict. It seems to be a weakness the devs want us to have.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

This is pretty much how I feel here. We have this amazing, dynamic and nuanced toolkit for almost everything... and then suddenly when it comes to AoE we just mash PoH.

That and PoM. I agree, it isn't enough. Holy has CoH as its third option. I wish Disc did as well, because the amount of healing from PoH, PoH-DA and PoH-SS is silly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

That and PoM. I agree, it isn't enough. Holy has CoH as its third option. I wish Disc did as well, because the amount of healing from PoH, PoH-DA and PoH-SS is silly.

I think the problem is that if they gave us something to fill in that gap, we'd lose another weakness.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]