Vampire Genre, what is the appeal

100 Undead Warlock
A disturbing number of my female friends (all 4 of them) like one or more of these shows. Although I have never attempted to watch nor understand the allure of them is, can somebody abrogate the mystery for me.

And I honestly want to know what it is about these shows they draw people in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I don't really watch the current vampire stuff. Geez that makes me sound like a hipster. My mom watches Trublood though so I hear all about it from her. ( According to her the new season is subpar. )

If I were to guess. People are drawn to vampires because they're basically immortal. They are excess in human form. Being able to live forever while getting to do pretty much whatever they damn well please. Understandable if people have fantasies about that. No one likes the idea of dying.

Last thing I watched vampire wise was a really really really really stupid but likeable soap opera called The Lair. Maybe 30 Days of Night. The whispering in that movie drove me bonkers but I enjoyed how they looked more beastly. Rather then over done on the sexy factor.

That or people have a very common bite fetish. Who knows.
Edited by Rosenivy on 12/4/2012 3:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think it's the whole immortal thing. I personally would love to see how technology and the world ends up way past the day I was suppose to die.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
For a lot of those shows the Vampires are invariably sexy and good looking. The intensity of their hunger mixes with their desire for the female characters. The Vampire lover is the boyfriend who needs you above all else, he needs you just to live. Combined with the thrill and the danger, the Vampire is the sexy bad boy personified. James Dean x100.

One of the reasons I liked the British version of Being Human is their vampires were a bit different. Those were not sexy vampires, they were not all beautiful and smoldering good looking types. Those were drug addicts, whose drug of choice whipped out every trace of morality they had.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Vampires are kind of the sexy bad boys of evil undead, of course women are attracted to them. But in all fairness don't be hypocritical Selene in Underworld was totally hot.

One of the reasons I liked the British version of Being Human is their vampires were a bit different. Those were not sexy vampires, they were not all beautiful and smoldering good looking types. Those were drug addicts, whose drug of choice whipped out every trace of morality they had.

The vampires in Being Human really came off to me as overly preachy, ultimately they didn't explore any moral concepts that Buffy the vampire slayer didn't and managed to be annoying while doing so.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
12/04/2012 05:37 AMPosted by Pluton
I think it's the whole immortal thing. I personally would love to see how technology and the world ends up way past the day I was suppose to die.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5-reasons-immortality-would-be-worse-than-death.html
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Twilight has ruined Vampires for me forever I think. at least I can still watch The lost Boys if I want to see a real vampire movie
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Are we talking about real Vampires or Twilight "Vampires"?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
From Nosferatu to Twilight.

All hope was lost.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
12/04/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Tovi
Interview with a Vampire had potential. Tom Cruise's Lestat was perfect but Louis and Claudia were the most boring vampires. All they did was whine. Ugh.

I still read that book every October, usually pulling the old movie down and playing it mid month.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
12/04/2012 08:03 AMPosted by Temnozar
Twilight has ruined Vampires for me forever I think. at least I can still watch The lost Boys if I want to see a real vampire movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4oRM6tC8PQ

Yeah I know you meant the movie but I had to share this too
Reply Quote
11 Blood Elf Rogue
Soon bimbos will forget whats right in a man
- good personality
- Open Minded
- Knows how to treat a woman
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Death Knight
Vampires are cool (to me) as the ultimate master of cunning. They can shape shift into anything, blend into shadows, are ridiculously charming, and are much more powerful than the average human. They were the master killers and could raise an army if they wanted to.

The recent stuff is terrible, I won't lie. It really helps if you don't think of the new vampires as actual vampires. They're just humans with mutations, as I like to think.
so what your saying is that soon teenage women will find the X-Men sexy?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
so what your saying is that soon teenage women will find the X-Men sexy?

....They don't now?

I mean cmon. Nightcrawler
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm a dude, but I can see why people find vampire stories interesting. There's a romantic aspect about eternal life, as the dual gift/curse of being able to do whatever you want to by moonlight, but also outliving anyone you grow close to, making for an eventually lonely existence. A lot of people understand the desire to escape from your everyday life, and a lot can identify with feelings of loneliness in general.

Aside from that, there's the turmoil of a creature that was once good, struggling to fight the evil inside. It is now an evil thing, and must do what comes naturally: use the blood of others for sustenance, and defile others for their own survival. That dark atmosphere and borderline tension of trying to resist your more basic urges is a raw, volatile kind of sexy that drives a lot of vampire stuff in general.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Have you folks watched the old chinese vampire movies? Those are hilarious. Current vampire stuff simply do not appeal to me, as there are far too much romance stuff going on. In fact, only a handful of romance related media has caught my attention, such as LoZ: Skyward Sword and Eureka Seven.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Interview with the Vampire is the only vampire movie I like. It's also the only Tom Cruise movie I like. He was pretty much born to play the pompous jerk type of character, and he really amps it up for Lestat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
12/05/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Cowbacca
Interview with the Vampire is the only vampire movie I like. It's also the only Tom Cruise movie I like. He was pretty much born to play the pompous jerk type of character, and he really amps it up for Lestat.

Van Helsing is pretty good imo. In the cheesy Universal style. CGI is a little dated but it was good for its time.

Also Near Dark. But no one seems to know about that movie. Bugged the snot out of me when that movie came out on Blu Ray. Whoever made the cover was obviously copying Twilights dvd case. Just "Oh it's vampires. Lets have the guy be really gray even though he's not in the movie. And make it look like the girl is the human when she's the one who bites him in the movie"

Blargh. Least it has Bill Paxton as a vampire killing people in a bar done to Cramps music.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]