Mages most complicated class to play

85 Undead Rogue
Mages are indeed the hardest class to play, requiring more setup steps in order to make respectable damage...This is not a keyboard head banger class like the majority on MOP, mage requires alot more skill then any other class to play..Blizz should not take away from a class just because the players who pick the easy classes complain about the few really good mages who practice and know how to play a mage..There is nothing OP about this class, it requires multiple steps on a target to get good damage and the mage hopes that the target doesn't break out of one of these fragile steps or everything goes in the toilet
Reply Quote
Good to know.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It's easy enough to quantify how a class performs at various skill levels. Just look at the 60% damage, the 70% damage, the 80% damage, the 90% damage, the 100% damage. Not just the top 100 and say "It's cool, they're just REALLY skilled."

If it were indeed an unusually high skill cap class you would see a more extreme curve than you do with the other classes. This just doesn't seem to be the case though. Fire mages are either at the top, or fighting with Affliction for the top slot across all existing raid encounters all the way across the spectrum.

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that fire is not the top, or second spec on literally every encounter. I meant to say overall for the entire tier. On most encounters it still holds true anyway, but it's an important difference.

We can extrapolate from this that, while awesome mages are better than mediocre mages - mediocre mages are still performing better than any other mediocre player. Unlucky mages are still performing better than any other unlucky class.

It's not a handful of players; it's data gained from literally every log posted to worldoflogs. It's trends in arena representation.
Edited by Intoxicreep on 11/22/2012 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
lol...

spam fireball, keep living bomb up, force pyro! procs after you lunch fireball if heating up is up.

stack ignite to 35k+, combust. rinse and repeat.

THAT WAS HARD!

now if ur talking about pvp ignore my post since i dont really pvp lol
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
11/22/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Peztilence
it just takes 1 deep freeze to kill someone

Let me finish that phrase: "someone that just got to level 90".
Reply Quote
87 Human Mage
Yeah, I miss BC too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I got dropped 100-0 in a Deep Freeze by a single mage last night.
Edited by Sliphe on 11/22/2012 10:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Mage setup is now no different or more complicated than anyone else. This would have held true back in TBC when mages had setup and the *majority* of the other classes either had passive ramp ups or no true setup at all.

Now? No. Popping CD's appropriately to set up a deep freeze is no different from a warrior doing Csmash->CD macro->shockwave+stuffs. Or from a rogue setting you up with stuns and bleeds + energy pooling. Or an enh shaman setting up his Ascendance burst with Capacitor totem to avoid getting counter-CC'd. Or a lock setting up ember usage to provide burst in windows.

The list goes on to pretty much every class. Mages are no longer the "hard to play but amazing if done well" class. They are the "simplistic mechanics but played with training wheels" class.

That isn't to say that there aren't some downright amazing players that play mage, that do so better than I ever could. Chances are, you aren't one of them. No matter how much your ridiculous state makes you believe you are so awesome.
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Phöbös

I was in a BG with you the other day.

You blew me up in a single deep freeze repeatedly.

I sit in defensive stance, and have 60.8% resilience.

This is not uncommon. Mages who are equally geared as me can blow me up in a single deep freeze and kite me forever.

Patch 5.1 is going to destroy melee pvp even further as a single mage (once again) will be able to lock down multiple melee indefinitely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's kind of embarrassing that fire is drop dead easy to play and is also consistently in like the top 3 of damage. How convenient!
Reply Quote
11/22/2012 07:03 AMPosted by Twinkeduout
Mages are indeed the hardest class to play, requiring more setup steps in order to make respectable damage...This is not a keyboard head banger class like the majority on MOP, mage requires alot more skill then any other class to play..Blizz should not take away from a class just because the players who pick the easy classes complain about the few really good mages who practice and know how to play a mage..There is nothing OP about this class, it requires multiple steps on a target to get good damage and the mage hopes that the target doesn't break out of one of these fragile steps or everything goes in the toilet

As the people in this thread whom are smarter than you have pointed out, and despite bliz's love affair with mages, there's nothing whatsoever that sets the skill requirements for a mage above those of most other classes.

Imo, a combat rogue takes the most skill for melee, that's just me though, as keeping SnD up, revealing strike up, rupture up, and exposed armor up, all while watching your energy, and trying to coordinate your big hits with bandit's guile is challenging for me.

As for casters, imo affliction lock is pretty involved.

Just my opinions though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT

I have been blown up from 100 to 0 in a deep plenty of times.

E V E R Y O N E else has experienced something similar and WILL back up that statement.

Thats why you see the massive complains about the retarded broken mage burst

You also have 0 RBG rating and are under the 1500 mark in Arena.

Yeah, methinks you're a bit butthurt from not having a good healer dispel you or a smart ally to CC the mage during a DF.

11/22/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Healbøt
It's kind of embarrassing that fire is drop dead easy to play and is also consistently in like the top 3 of damage. How convenient!

Too bad it requires crazy RNG to line up your combustion with trinkets and hot streaks as well as all 3 speccs being dreadfully boring, clunky, and having huge QoL issues due to our L90 talents.

Damage vs fun. It shouldn't be a tradeoff.
Edited by Pewpewblast on 11/22/2012 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Mages: Bring a friend to kill me by myself.

When warriors used that argument, they were laughed at.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

Mage logic
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Damage vs fun. It shouldn't be a tradeoff.

I agree that mages are not entirely fun to play. It has come to a point where I enjoy my shaman as elemental now more than any spec of my mage (PvE at least). The class that once did nothing but spam lightning bolt now feels more fun to me than the class heralded as masters of magic. My mage has been collecting dust ever since TBC as I have felt that it never fully evolved fun-wise compared to what some other classes have. The addition of Hot Streak and Living Bomb was great fun in Wrath. For like a day. And then the frustrating RNG of it started bearing down on you.

And now it just feels weird.

Damage be damned.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

1v1 lol

cry more about it as if it actually matters
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

1v1 lol

cry more about it as if it actually matters

OK.

2v2. Rogue Mage vs whatever. OH LOOK YOUR PARTNER CAN CC TOO! SO YOU CAN CC WHILE YOU CC CHAIN TO PREVENT GETTING CC'd SO YOU CAN BURST

MY GOD THAT WAS HARD, I'M SO GLAD I BROUGHT A PARTNER

Overly dramatic QQ aside (as initially I wasn't crying, just calling out what was dumb), the argument to "bring a partner" is only applicable if say a class has major issues with one or two other classes. In other words, a game of Rock Paper Scissors. We don't have that anymore. Some classes are just markedly better than others, and normally it boils down to ease of use. Is it easier to set up a deep freeze CC chain than Capacitor totem? Yes? Well then, I wonder what will succeed more often.

The fact of the matter is, yes we can bring a partner. So can you. And if your partner is anything other than a slobbering buffoon, and plays a class that compliments yours, then any perceived issues are laughable.

I am not saying it is impossible to kill a mage. Far from it. I am saying that the class lends itself to having decent performance in the hands of even bad players.
Edited by Stierzorn on 11/22/2012 3:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
clearly a dont nerf me bro post in reaction to the mass complains about mages

Any horrible player can faceroll with a mage, it just takes 1 deep freeze to kill someone, everything else is irelevant, and if it fails, the op bs is back again in 30 seconds!!!

That makes effectively the easiest class in pvp by a long shot.

...... Are you Paihn?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]