Item Upgrade API Changes

90 Dwarf Hunter
Is there any chance we can get some information about what changes will be made to the API to support the new item upgrades coming in 5.1?

I'd like to start looking at how to implement support for this on my site (as it sounds like we may see this patch soon), but I'm not really sure how the information will be represented so any information would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
We're not going to have anything on day 1, we're working on it now and I will update once I know what it will look like. Sorry for the delay.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
By inference , patch 5.1 is tomorrow?

:)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Thanks for the update Peratryn- looking forward to more information when it becomes available!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Hopefully this gets implemented soon.

It seems like before the armory interface is updated, the upgrade value could be exposed through the JSON API:

For the request:
http://us.battle.net/api/wow/character/Suramar/Edgy?fields=items

I'd expect the upgrade value to appear as a key in "tooltipParams"
Edited by Edgy on 11/28/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
We definitely will provide an upgrade id on the item in the tooltipParams referencing a /data api that will expose the cost and ilvl upgrade. I'm not positive how we'll show stat changes yet. Once we get it implemented on the site I'll post with final information of course.

EDIT: We're putting the ilvl upgrade right in the tooltip params. I just posted an example at the end of this thread. We're not exposing the cost information in the api [yet], if there is a large need for this let me know.
Edited by Peratryn on 12/17/2012 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Even just an upgrade count as an integer would be helpful.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
It seems very difficult to construct the proper item stats after a +4 or +8 ilvl upgrade is provided without access to all the internal item information (like the underlying stat allocation distribution and the stat-socket modifier coefficient).

Is there any possibility that the item stat distribution and socket-stat modifier coefficients can be exposed in the Item API?

For example, in the JSON for: http://us.battle.net/api/wow/item/90411

For each bonusStat, you could add: "alloc" which designates the underlying stat distribution and "sockmod" which determines how it's penalized due to sockets.

From the above request, the Agility stat would appear like:
{"amount": 983, "reforged":false, "stat": 3, "alloc": 5259, "sockmod":1.5}
Edited by Edgy on 11/29/2012 5:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
bump, any idea when armory will reflect upgrades?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Edgy -- I don't think that blizzard can really supply just a set of multipliers to get the upgraded item stats... the item budget formula isn't that straightforward. And then there's the issue of trinkets with temporary effects and all that.

For most uses, just having an "1" or a "2" in the tooltipParams when asking for a player's armory info will be sufficient -- I just spent a whole week getting the item upgrading stuff to work on askmrrobot, so I can imagine the wow community api people are having just as much fun ;)

At the moment, I'm having a little difficulty figuring out the stats on upgradeable random-suffix items... nobody seems to have the actual stats for those items (wowdb, wowhead, battle.net).

What would be super-pro mega-extra-credit would be if /api/wow/item took a couple extra parameters: suffix=[random suffix id] and upgrade=[1 or 2]. I would definitely send a christmas card AND cookies if that happened at some point. And if anyone at blizzard wanted an MVP-of-the-universe t-shirt, if the item API returned a list of the random suffix ids available on an item when querying for the base item information... I know a guy who knows a guy who knows of such a t-shirt.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Upgrade level shouldn't be in tooltipParams, since it is not really part of the tooltip structure, whereas gems and enchants are. It would make more sense if it's key is included like so:

"back":{
"id":87026,
"name":"Cloak of Peacock Feathers",
"upgrade" : 1,
"icon":"inv_cape_pandaria_d_01",
"quality":4,
"tooltipParams":{
"enchant":4424,
"tinker":4897,
"reforge":161
}

Something as simple as this would be very easy to add. I would be very happy as well as I am developing an application that requires consistency in players' gear and stats.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Rogue
Can't wait for this addition to the API!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Edgy -- I don't think that blizzard can really supply just a set of multipliers to get the upgraded item stats... the item budget formula isn't that straightforward. And then there's the issue of trinkets with temporary effects and all that.
At the moment, I'm having a little difficulty figuring out the stats on upgradeable random-suffix items... nobody seems to have the actual stats for those items (wowdb, wowhead, battle.net).

The item upgrade stuff is tricky. It took a lot of work (and the help of some of the simc developers) to get upgrades working exactly for my Feral simulator:
http://raffy.antistupid.com/wow/catsim/sim_ui8_icons.png

The upgrade calculation for armor and weapon damage follow nice formulas, especially since it only applies to MoP stuff. However, the item stat scaling is impossible to resurrect without the internal stat allocation distribution and socket penalties. With these two numbers, getting the correct stats is pretty straight forward.

Blizz needs to show the upgraded stats on the Armory regardless, so either they allow us to pull an item already pre-upgraded, like api/item/xxxx?up=1 or w/e. Or, they expose 2 numbers in the item API and anyone can easily calculate the upgrades. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

The real question is, why isn't the upgrade level exposed yet in the character API? That's gotta be like a 5 minute change.
Edited by Edgy on 12/5/2012 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Rogue
Mr Peratryn, any news on the progress of this feature request? As Landsoul suggested above, an "upgrade" : 1 in the equipped item properties would be fantastic.

Is there anything we can do to help - like asking Santa for it to be delivered as a special Christmas gift to the community?
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
Item upgrade information will be available tomorrow (afternoon, pst) if all of the deploys go as planned. Sorry it took so long to get this out. We're working on ways to speed this up for future patch changes.

We also realize that this first pass doesn't give all the data people wanted in the way that they wanted it. Hopefully we'll be able to fill some gaps in future updates.

The fields=items option on characters is getting a bunch of data added to it. First there is a new tooltip param section for updates that has the current and total upgrade options and the current item level upgrade.

On top of this the item (when viewed on a character profile) also is getting the item level, stats, armor and weapon info added to it since these are all of the values that can be edited. This means that character profile items now have all of their stats in edited forms (with reforges, enchants, upgrades etc). The values you see on the profile page tooltips are listed here.

One of the current issues we have is for viewing items NOT in the context of character profiles (/api/wow/item for instance). We have no data about how much an item can be upgraded in this view so all we can add is one boolean flag "upgradable". The logic for how an item can be upgraded is extremely flexible so while in game it's pretty clear what it is (currently), we weren't able to add it into the api for this update.

An example of a character profile item (weapon in this case to show all fields):mainHand: {
id: 81279,
name: "Tempestuous Longbow",
icon: "inv_bow_1h_pandung_c_01",
quality: 3,
itemLevel: 471,
tooltipParams: {
upgrade: {
current: 1,
total: 1,
itemLevelIncrement: 8
}
},
stats: [
{
stat: 32,
amount: 646,
reforged: false
},
{
stat: 3,
amount: 969,
},
{
stat: 31,
amount: 646,
},
{
stat: 7,
amount: 1454,
}
],
armor: 0,
weaponInfo: {
damage: {
min: 7433,
max: 13805
},
weaponSpeed: 3,
dps: 3539.6667
}
}

I will try to get the docs updated with this and the other things that are missing this week.
Edited by Peratryn on 12/17/2012 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Nice! This will save everyone from having to manually mark what gear is upgraded on AskMrRobot.

While we are waiting for the official update, if anyone needs item stats for upgrades with no modifications, you can reach me on MMOC for data from our API like this:

{
"ID": 81279,
"Build": 16357,
"Name": "Tempestuous Longbow",

.... (Other non upgrade related stuff)

"Upgrades": [
{
"UpgradeTypeId": 452,
"RequiredCurrencyName": "Justice Points",
"RequiredCurrencyId": 395,
"RequiredCurrencyAmount": 1500,
"ItemLevel": 471,
"Armor": 0,
"MinDamage": 7433.0,
"MaxDamage": 13805.0,
"DPS": 3539.693,
"Stats": [
{
"StatID": 3,
"Quantity": 969
},
{
"StatID": 7,
"Quantity": 1454
},
{
"StatID": 32,
"Quantity": 646
},
{
"StatID": 31,
"Quantity": 646
}
]
}
]
}
Edited by Chaud on 12/17/2012 5:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Can you provide an example of one where it's an epic quality item; something like Fang Kung, Spark of Titans. Having info about a blue quality is nice but when your talking about double upgrades, that could get complicated. Or for that matter, Chinese and TW servers, 4 upgrades (2 baseline and 2 extra)
Edited by Delritha on 12/17/2012 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
For an epic the "current" field would be 0, 1 or 2, and total will be 2 (if the item upgrades like most epics do). The "itemLevelIncrement" field will be 0, 4 or 8 depending on what upgrade level you're at.

The stats will be whatever the stats of the item currently are, just like on that blue example.

For the CN/TW upgrades it will be the same. The stats should be the current stats of that character's item while the "total" will be the max number of upgrade states, and "current" being which one you're at. The "itemLevelIncrement" will again say how many item level points are being added onto the item.
Edited by Peratryn on 12/17/2012 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for this update.

However, before you deploy tomorrow, could you update the weapon Min/Max damage calculation to use the exact value? In the API, you are incorrectly rounding to integers, and then the provided DPS number is being derived from those integers.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7393669846
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
12/17/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Edgy
However, before you deploy tomorrow, could you update the weapon Min/Max damage calculation to use the exact value? In the API, you are incorrectly rounding to integers, and then the provided DPS number is being derived from those integers.

I will look at this tomorrow morning, but let me make sure I understand correctly. You just want unrounded min/max numbers exposed, and then for us to use those values when calculating dps correct? (I'm not going to remove DPS from the api, but making it more correct is fine).
Edited by Peratryn on 12/17/2012 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]