Chakra 5.1 holy Priest DPS

I noticed the change to Chakra. Does it make the holy priest anywhere close to DPSish damage?

Wanted to add that I know nothing about level 90 priest and have no clue as to the damage. That's why I'm asking.
Edited by Morghanne on 11/28/2012 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's a nice buff for soloing and maybe some specific raid encounters, but no you won't get anywhere near a real DPSers #s in Chastise Chakra.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I shared my thoughts about this in a previous thread that was going really well, but then it was removed by the mods. So without sharing specifics, a holy priest in chastise can do more dps than a disc priest but still not as much as shadow.
Reply Quote
Thats interesting, im really struggling to find any hard data about this, simulcraft isnt up to date with 5.1 yet. From my testing last night i was pulling 4k more dps than i was in shadow (just on dummies)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It also depends on your gear. From what I've read, priority stats are slightly different ( at some point shadow prefers crit once it has capped a limit on haste, apparently) so if you're loaded on haste gear your shadow dps would probably suffer.. I think. Good to know we can actually hurt things now though... maybe I'll stick with holy spec for questing :)

Also, a question while I'm here: If you're using Holy spec to quest with the Klaxxi, what's the best buff to use?
Edited by Helenurash on 11/29/2012 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Well in LFR I managed 54k on Will of the Emperor smiting as holy, good enough for third or fourth on the damage meters. But that's LFR...it's not a viable spec for proper raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've tried to find people talking about this, but haven't had much luck.

There is a nice little-something no one is talking about: Holy Priests get a huge buff to Hit.

So, taking all my gear, reforging everything away from hit/spirit and into Haste > Crit, my holy priest now does more DPS than I could do in shadow (and still has 20% hit). Also, this is using proper talents and glyphs for doing DPS as holy (Holy Fire and Smite Glyphs, Mindbender talent, etc).

Keep in mind this is at my ilevel of 468 and I have not tested this with a simulator -- Simulcraft was not up to date, last I checked.

The real downside to Holy DPS is that your dps while moving is horrendous, and your multi-target dps without Halo up is pretty low, but thats common among other classes -- its just low compared to SPriest. I would recommend the Shadow Word: Death glyph as a possible 3rd glyph just to improve movement dps.
Edited by Wyndorn on 11/29/2012 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

So, taking all my gear, reforging everything away from hit/spirit and into Haste > Crit, my holy priest now does more DPS than I could do in shadow (and still has 20% hit). Also, this is using proper talents and glyphs for doing DPS as holy (Holy Fire and Smite Glyphs, Mindbender talent, etc).

I was surprised to find that I could squeeze out slightly more DPS in holy than in shadow, against a single target. And that's despite my gear being optimized for shadow rather than for holy DPS (i.e. I have way too much spirit for a holy DPS spec).

But that's in a theoretical best-case Patchwerk-type fight where you can just stand there and blow everything against a single target. In any fight with lots of movement or multiple targets, shadow is miles ahead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/29/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Wyndorn
The real downside to Holy DPS is that your dps while moving is horrendous, and your multi-target dps without Halo up is pretty low, but thats common among other classes -- its just low compared to SPriest. I would recommend the Shadow Word: Death glyph as a possible 3rd glyph just to improve movement dps.

Mind Sear should do pretty solid dps in Chastise. For that matter, Shadow Word: Pain still hits pretty hard with Chastise.
Edited by Medeyn on 11/30/2012 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Mind Sear should do pretty solid dps in Chastise. For that matter, Shadow Word: Pain still hits pretty hard with Chastise.

Oh, yeah, I'm still using all available spells, apologies if that wasn't obvious.

I ran an LFR last night (The second MSV one, I can't remember the name). On the boss fight with the 2 huge guys, and all the adds that jump down, I was able to hit 4th on DPS as holy. I actually beat a shadow priest that had higher ilevel than I did, and I was slightly behind another spriest with that same ilevel. So, it seems that holy dps, while probably not optimal for many fights, is certainly feasible. I was right about 50k dps by the end of the fight, with the other guys being 51k and about 48k.

That fight is definitely a Patchwerk style one... can just stand in one place, hit 4 or 5 things with Halo, keep everything dotted. I'm always 1st or 2nd on Activity in recount, maybe thats part of why I can get decent number -- not lazy! lol

This has been a fun little experiment, I always enjoy odd-ball builds in mmos.

Has anyone tried to get some theoretical max numbers of simulcraft? They updated to 5.1 but I can't seem to make it actually add the bonus from the Chakra.

Lastly, I will top off everything I've learned with this: MOST BORING ROTATION EVER, lol
Edited by Wyndorn on 11/30/2012 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/30/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Wyndorn
Lastly, I will top off everything I've learned with this: MOST BORING ROTATION EVER, lol

Well, you'd probably want Test of Faith for damage purposes - which would probably necessitate using something like Circle of Healing to trigger it above 20% on the boss.

The Shadow spells are also questionable since you'd be running 0% hit with them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/30/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Medeyn

Well, you'd probably want Test of Faith for damage purposes - which would probably necessitate using something like Circle of Healing to trigger it above 20% on the boss.

The Shadow spells are also questionable since you'd be running 0% hit with them.

Unless I got very lucky testing on dummies, SW:P seems to benefit from the hit passive.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
My raid leader has no excuse now to not let me holy dps!
Wahahahahahaha
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I literally have never seen SW:P miss, for what its worth. Ever.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
[quote="71987060529"]

Do you mean Twist of Fate?

Assuming so, using circle of healing to trigger it isn't a bad idea! Probably hard to actually do very effectively though, if your healers are good, lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
CoH weaving for ToF would also add some complexity to the rotation (not much, but some).

I assume this is really something they don't want us to be doing, but it's a really cool, if gimmicky, spec.

e: Btw, was parsing 33k self-buffed on dummies last night with ToF (so not proccing + no SW:D used) and Divine Star (I was testing how significant the buff was), so this at the very least works in LFR and maybe 5-mans.

Also notice my gear isn't exactly amazing, so...
Edited by Arrhythmic on 12/1/2012 2:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/30/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Wyndorn
Do you mean Twist of Fate?

Yep. I always get the name confused with the old talent.

Assuming so, using circle of healing to trigger it isn't a bad idea! Probably hard to actually do very effectively though, if your healers are good, lol

In LFR, it would indeed be tough - you'd probably get some Lightspring (presuming you can glyph it) procs as well. I imagine in harder content, there's far less of a healing glut so you have at least some chance of getting people naturally at low health rather than hammered down by a mass AE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I just finished my first run trying holy DPS in first half HoF LFR and it went really well. I used Test of Faith, but I was thinking on Zorlok that power infusion would have been better.

I only reforged for it, so I still had a lot of spirit that I don't need, but my gear is really good for healing purposes (495 ilvl) so I had a lot of spellpower.

I ended up getting #2 on Zorlok @ 62k DPS, #2 on Blade Lord (I forget the DPS), and #1 on Garalon @ 85k DPS. This was with me doing 54500 DPS on the dummies using halo + test of faith.

I'm pretty sure if someone optimizes their gear for holy, it could actually be a pretty decent DPS spec. LFR isn't the best way to test it for a real raiding environment because it's largely dependent on your group's skill but at least it gives an idea of where holy stands right now
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I just did 98k on lfr stone guards as holy.

Edit: 78k on Gara'jal as holy.

Multidotting and aoe in general seems really strong.

Edit2: 65k on Gara'jal as disc.
Edited by Amabella on 12/1/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Just to update this thread some more, I've decided that this week will be my holy dps experiment week in LFR. I've only done the first three bosses of Terrace so far this week, but I was #4 or higher on each fight with 72k on the first boss and a bit over 65k on the next two. I didn't reforge any of my gear to optimize for holy dps (i.e. reforge spirit to haste or crit), but I switched out Kri'tak + Inscribed Red Fan for a Jin'ya since the staff has much better secondary stats for holy dps.

I'll do the rest of the LFRs later, but so far I'm quite impressed with holy dps. It's not fantastic for multi-target fights and the rotation is downright boring (memories of arcane mage...), but it's surprisingly effective and on some encounters it's actually competitive with shadow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]