A guide for Holy Paladins 5.1

90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/03/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Ayfo
Holy Pally's real strength lies in being a reactionary healer,

Holy pally IMO is in no way a reactionary healer. Other classes (shaman for example) have much better tools to react with, especially burst/aoe damage.

Where hpally is at right now we do NOT want to panic heal. Leave that to other classes, we just chug through channeling Holy Light and Shock through the raid with the odd Radiance and we can keep up with most heals.

Reactionary isn't the same as panic heal imo. We are extremly good at spot healing, and a well placed Light's Hammer and specced Holy Avenger you can pump out some amazing aoe heals in a heartbeat as well. We aren't disc priests that needs to watch timers in order to SS the raid before the damage happens, and we aren't druids that slowly heal the raid up with hots, so I would say that in that aspect we are reactionary. We control the healing we do and in order to play well you need to know your entire toolkit and use the correct spell for any given situation, maybe even more so than other classes (granted my shaman isn't 90 yet but my other healers are).

I really don't know what panic heal is, unless your raid group is doing it wrong all damage should be more or less expected and you can prepare for it to avoid any panic. If you mean high raid wide damage that is what you have raid wide cooldowns for, and granted Devotion Aura only works on some of it there are other classes that have better suited cooldowns (Rallying Cry, Tranq, Hymn, etc).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would love to see some more of our utility brought into the guide because right now it seems like a guide to just help throughput, which is good, but great Paladins use many tools of utility at their disposal.

Clemency vs HoP (Purity)- 2 HoSacs/ 2 HoPs/ 2 HoSalvs and 2 HoF's VS A HUGE single target CD which is being buffed in 5.2.

While each have their benefits, Clemency suits every encounter to a net gain benefit where-as Hand of Purity is basically mandatory on some encounters. Any encounter with a DoT effect (Bleeds too).

MSV:

Stone Guards, Feng of the Accursed.

HoF:

Blade Lord is questionable, if you have multiple Paladins, especially in 25, you can cheese wind steps for the most part with Paladins specced Clemency, but it's still good to have one Specced Purity just incase someone get's Wind Stepped and they have Forbearance.

Amber Shaper Unsok- Hand of Purity can be very powerful for Parasitic Growth ESPECIALLY for Phase 3 when the fight becomes mayhem.

Paladins can carry so much weight on their shoulders, it's never just about how much epeen flex you can do with huge HPS numbers, I am talking about preventing huge amounts of damage from occuring. That is one fine line between a great Paladin and an amazing one. Sure, we have some AMAZING burst Healing capabilities, but we also have tools at our disposal that can make us godly, while not showing up on "meters", we just saved the Raid.

And to the poster above me ^ an emergency heal is a Heal you need to do to save someone life after a major incident occured that sometimes they had power over, and sometimes they did not. Yes, these incidents do occur in Raiding and if you have never seen incidents like these then I congratulate you, because you have seen something that 99.99% of other Healers have not.

ie: Multiple gibbing unavoidable mechanics go off simultaneously on one person, yes, there are many encounters where RNG like this has a chance to happen, regardless of Raidwide CD's. An emergency heal in this case would depend on how close to dying said person is, Lay on Hands? Possibly, but Flash of Light is more probable to ensure they can survive a quick second while they receive more heals to make sure they live.
Edited by Codez on 12/25/2012 9:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Garalon- Basically a must have for Pheramones.

Hand of Purity don't work on Pheromones.

Didn't say a word about emergency heal, we have great tools to save SOMEONE's life in an emergency situation (LoH, HoP or FoL), we don't have great tools to save the entire raid's lives but we have great utility in other ways. If you read the posts prior to mine they're talking about panic healing AoE damage, and I would say that there are classes that are way better suited to deal with that, but I don't think that's something bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Totally agree with "I'm not trolling guy" I don't heal at all like what is being talked about here. Theory craft all you want..... but if you really want to know how to build your hpally, go to world of logs and then look up what the top healers are doing. Spirit coming out of every possible source and relying on holy shock and those benefits you get from using holy power. The days of spamming holy light and divine light are gone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
this is nice could you include a section on pvp?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/10/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Uthred
Totally agree with "I'm not trolling guy" I don't heal at all like what is being talked about here. Theory craft all you want..... but if you really want to know how to build your hpally, go to world of logs and then look up what the top healers are doing. Spirit coming out of every possible source and relying on holy shock and those benefits you get from using holy power. The days of spamming holy light and divine light are gone.

checking out hpallys on world of logs isn't the best place. WoL has pally rankings from when paladins cheesed fights with an OP 4 piece pvp set, or they're doing normal fights in terrace absolutely carrying another healer. doing either of those things doesn't make you a "top healer."

if you guys want to look up a good holy paladin, look up Nodzz @ Illidan. That's Blood Legions hpal. One of the best holy paladins I've ever seen before, who by the way, doesn't rank on World of Logs...because world of logs healer rankings are bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/02/2013 02:38 AMPosted by Xss
because world of logs healer rankings are bad.

How are ranking healers bad? Please explain.
Edited by Virsta on 2/3/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Vex
There will always be a lot of debate on how-to-holy-pally-heal. I am a 10 man Holy Pally and the only use I have for Sacred Shield in current raids, is the 2nd part of Empress when the 2 tanks take a ton of damage handling the adds. It's the only fight I choose sacred shield over eternal flame....but we also run with a Disc priest.

Ranking healers aren't baddies...just cause a holy pally is in Blood Legion, doesn't mean he is the only one who can possibly be any good. If that was the case, there would be no point in having holy paladins in the game at all.
Edited by Wyntery on 2/4/2013 4:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There will always be a lot of debate on how-to-holy-pally-heal. I am a 10 man Holy Pally and the only use I have for Sacred Shield in current raids, is the 2nd part of Empress when the 2 tanks take a ton of damage handling the adds. It's the only fight I choose sacred shield over eternal flame....but we also run with a Disc priest.

This is an important point, and a big part of why it's so difficult writing a good healing guide in general. Example: I can think of at least 2 other situations where I find SS to be very helpful: Gara'jal on vodoo tank and ambershaper on debuffed targets. There is not optimal priority list, or a set best ability list for each fight. In my opinion a good healing guide would attempt to highlight the various viable playstyles without pushing players toward any one size fits all solution.

Edit: Not to be rude, but what exactly is the point of this guide? We already have a good established holy pally pve guide sticked, and your reasons for making this guide refer to errors in icy veins etc, not to the guide on these forums. Are there things you wish to be added? Post on Tailias'(s? What's the possessive of Tailias? I wonder about these things) page, i'm sure she would be more then happy to have a discussion about it.
Edited by Corvala on 2/4/2013 10:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/04/2013 04:45 AMPosted by Wyntery
Ranking healers aren't baddies

I know. I just want to hear why Xss thinks they are not good healers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rise, my undead minion... RISE!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ranking healers aren't baddies

I know. I just want to hear why Xss thinks they are not good healers.

You misread that statement.

because world of logs healer rankings are bad.

How are ranking healers bad? Please explain.

They didn't say the healers were bad. They implied the ranking system was, which they provided examples of in the start of the post.
Edited by Necai on 2/23/2013 12:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]