Non-pandaren Monks

90 Pandaren Monk
Must have gone through one hell of an 80's training montage. Whoever their montage editor is I need to know. Because damn did they become kung-fu masters fast.

Seriously though, does everybody think it's lore viable to say that otherwise untrained members of other races just kunged many fus and are now as badass as Pandaren who have been practicing martial arts their whole lives? If so, by what justification? Discuss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
They were taught by said Pandaren and advanced through their own exploration and experimentation.
Reply Quote
Well, I imagine many were warriors or rogues before being trained in the ways of the monk. I'd assume they'd have some martial skill beforehand.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
We even have the training montages to prove it, there's a questline in Jade Forest.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I believe in the rare case it's possible someone developed their own style long before Pandarens joined the Horde/Alliance, but the majority would be still learning from Pandaren monks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
The fact that Blizzard put in Masters for the 10x Monk Quests that are varying races may add significantly to the comfort that some feel in claiming their characters to be master monks.

I haven't seen many non-pandaren claim to be masters. Depending on how they RP themselves out...I might not take issue with it. If they claim to have worshiped the August Celestials for an extremely suspect amount of time, not sure I'd dig that. If they're looking at it from a purely martial aspect (am I using that word right? Idk, I'm in fevertown) I can see it making sense, supposing they claim to be masters of their own technique and not one learned from a Pandaren source.

's far as my monk? Tsoka, while not a master, is a fire dancer. I've decided not to take Blizzard's class quite so literally and have set her to have honed combat skills based off of her tribal dancing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Syra herself is a bit of a talent when it comes to the way of the monk, but she wasn't always; in fact, during her training, Syra showed how green she was, making mistakes that would probably get her killed in a real fight. Sure, Night Elves are naturally spry, so she had that going for her. In fact, she still does; Kaldorei athletics are part of her fighting style.

I look at it this way; true, there may be non-pandaren monks of exceptional ability; but ability does not replace experience. Talent and memory are entirely different things.

To be honest, I think the reason monks are concieved as so amazing in battle is that until the mists withdrew from Pandaria, almost -nobody- outside of Pandaria or the Wandering Isle had even seen the monk martial arts styles; in terms of most Azerothian combat styles, it's completely unorthodox to fight barehanded. Therefore, even an inexperienced monk could take down opponents with much more battle scars then themselves simply because monk combat is so new and unfamiliar.
Reply Quote
My monk was originally a Draenei who was "in training" and not very good at it yet, despite being nearly Lv90. I personally do not think they would have mastered everything so quickly. That is just me, though.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Monk
Tabaki is still learning the ropes, but he is a fairly fast learner. He's gone through so many life style changes since the Darkspear joined the Horde that it's almost second-nature for him to adapt to new schools of thought. The only thing he really needed to work on was getting himself physically in shape enough to be able to use his body for combat.

He started out as a Priest of Hir'eek and a witch doctor, became a full-fledged alchemist until the Shattering since he had to drop the "good" voodoo, then turned to shamanism until he realized the forceful taunka way of dealing with the elements was wrong. He had also picked up the darker aspects of voodoo again after Garrosh's disrespect to Vol'jin, as a proverbial "middle finger" to the Warchief (since he doesn't have one.) After his revelation, he exiled himself out of shame until he met a Huojin pandaren monk, who gave him a new challenge to take and renewed purpose.

So in other words, Tabaki loves the challenge of adapting to change. Even before I made him as a monk, I had sorta set that aspect of him up and that really lent itself to him picking up a new path. But I would most definitely not call him a master, unless it was referring to his potions.
Reply Quote
94 Human Death Knight
Must have gone through one hell of an 80's training montage. Whoever their montage editor is I need to know. Because damn did they become kung-fu masters fast.

Seriously though, does everybody think it's lore viable to say that otherwise untrained members of other races just kunged many fus and are now as badass as Pandaren who have been practicing martial arts their whole lives? If so, by what justification? Discuss.

Just as much as the newly trained night elves mages are as capable as the millenia old tradition mages blood elf has.

Or taurens as paladins compared to human/draenei/dwarf/belf paladins.

Or any race compared to draenei in everyything.

Suspension of belief.
Reply Quote
My monk was part of the Scarlet Crusade in his youth, and learned the weaponless fighting style of the Scarlet Monks. He will no doubt learn more techniques from the Pandaren now that he is in Pandaria, though he is by no means a Master and I do not intend that he ever will be.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I'm a spirit champion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
http://youtu.be/pFrMLRQIT_k

Anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/03/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Berengerius
My monk was part of the Scarlet Crusade in his youth, and learned the weaponless fighting style of the Scarlet Monks. He will no doubt learn more techniques from the Pandaren now that he is in Pandaria, though he is by no means a Master and I do not intend that he ever will be.
I accept this justification seeing as how the Scarlets did in fact have pugilist monks in their ranks.

Just as much as the newly trained night elves mages are as capable as the millenia old tradition mages blood elf has.

Suspension of belief.

Newly trained night-elves are not necessarily equal to Blood Elf mages. In fact, Azshara has a lot of quests showing that even their high ranking magisters are prone to making stupid mistakes in arcanistry that the Blood Elven traditions would never make, simply because they're kind of new to this sort of thing and learning as they go.

Tauren paladins? Well, the Light is faith based, so I don't know that it necessarily is a training intensive skill. I'm sure you can train to be better at it by training your faith, but I don't think it's necessarily... you know... I don't think you can montage building a connection of faith to the Light.

As for Draenei? Just because they're older doesn't make them immediately better. And it's also implied that many Draenei are very skilled warriors, that is to say, there are less Draenei than there are other races, but overall their individual warriors tend to be more skilled.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Death Knight

Or any race compared to draenei in everything.

Lets be honest here?
Draenei lore is pretty much them running away not much combat experience to the near half century of apocalyptic war Azeroth is going through.
Reply Quote
94 Human Death Knight
I accept this justification seeing as how the Scarlets did in fact have pugilist monks in their ranks.

Suspension of belief.

Newly trained night-elves are not necessarily equal to Blood Elf mages. In fact, Azshara has a lot of quests showing that even their high ranking magisters are prone to making stupid mistakes in arcanistry that the Blood Elven traditions would never make, simply because they're kind of new to this sort of thing and learning as they go.

Tauren paladins? Well, the Light is faith based, so I don't know that it necessarily is a training intensive skill. I'm sure you can train to be better at it by training your faith, but I don't think it's necessarily... you know... I don't think you can montage building a connection of faith to the Light.

As for Draenei? Just because they're older doesn't make them immediately better. And it's also implied that many Draenei are very skilled warriors, that is to say, there are less Draenei than there are other races, but overall their individual warriors tend to be more skilled.

But in game, they are exactly the same and have the same potential. The player nelves are just as capable as the belves. And it's never shown how the nelves are actually less effective than belves, apart from those few quests.

Paladin is a extremely training intense skill. Just praying to the light and believeing in it isn't enough. You also need to be trained in the skills of a warriors. You need to become a beacon to the light, so it can pass through you.

For the draenei, being older means they have more time to train and to develop better and more effective techniques. Even more considering draenei are extremely long lived creatures. A draenei that trained for 5 thousand years in the skill of anything should be more skilled than a human who trained in the same skill for 20, if both are naturally talented.

Or any race compared to draenei in everything.

Lets be honest here?
Draenei lore is pretty much them running away not much combat experience to the near half century of apocalyptic war Azeroth is going through.

List any lore of the draenei between argus and draenor.

You can't. Don't make assumptions. They might have lived in a planet for thousands of years, or maybe only a couple of years each.
Edited by Kalad on 12/3/2012 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Lets be honest here?

You can't. Don't make assumptions. They might have lived in a planet for thousands of years, or maybe only a couple of years each.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, my lunch break is almost over, but isn't most of that just filled with "They were fleeing the legion," and we see in the pre-cata book that slips my mind at the moment, Velen's first thought when hearing of Deathwing was to get on the Exodar and leave Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
I downplay the mysticism part of the Monk class and stick to Fides here being a melee fighter.
Reply Quote
94 Human Death Knight

You can correct me if I'm wrong, my lunch break is almost over, but isn't most of that just filled with "They were fleeing the legion," and we see in the pre-cata book that slips my mind at the moment, Velen's first thought when hearing of Deathwing was to get on the Exodar and leave Azeroth.

Yes, he said that. Your point is?

I don't think he ever encountered a dragon capable of breaking the world before. Sure, the legion is pretty capable of doing that, but they weren't omnipresent.
Edited by Kalad on 12/3/2012 1:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Yes, he said that. Your point is?

I don't think he ever encountered a dragon capable of breaking the world before. Sure, the legion is pretty capable of doing that, but they weren't omnipresent.

When a threat was present the leader the religious dictator, for all intents and purposes, of the Draenei, chose to flee. His first reaction. It suggests, and only suggests, that it would be feasible to believe that the Draenei as a whole didn't practice to the militaristic precision the rest of Azeroth did, because they always had the option to get the hell out of there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]