Non-pandaren Monks

12/03/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Kolaran
Well, I imagine many were warriors or rogues before being trained in the ways of the monk. I'd assume they'd have some martial skill beforehand.

This.

Svarga here was a warrior, and has been fighting for the Horde since the Orc internment camps. She was starting to feel burnt out but the fighting style the Pandaren have introduced has rekindled her love of butt kicking and her dream of dying in honorable combat someday. No more axes for Svarga, it's punchin enemies right in the face now, baby!
Edited by Svarga on 12/3/2012 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Yes, he said that. Your point is?

I don't think he ever encountered a dragon capable of breaking the world before. Sure, the legion is pretty capable of doing that, but they weren't omnipresent.

When a threat was present the leader the religious dictator, for all intents and purposes, of the Draenei, chose to flee. His first reaction. It suggests, and only suggests, that it would be feasible to believe that the Draenei as a whole didn't practice to the militaristic precision the rest of Azeroth did, because they always had the option to get the hell out of there.

A bit akward for them to have a whole structure of military with the anchorites and the hand of argus then. Also, many military draenei units stationed all over outland, ready to fight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

When a threat was present the leader the religious dictator, for all intents and purposes, of the Draenei, chose to flee. His first reaction. It suggests, and only suggests, that it would be feasible to believe that the Draenei as a whole didn't practice to the militaristic precision the rest of Azeroth did, because they always had the option to get the hell out of there.

A bit akward for them to have a whole structure of military with the anchorites and the hand of argus then. Also, many military draenei units stationed all over outland, ready to fight.

Maybe, I don't know and I have to go
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/03/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Erydani
I believe in the rare case it's possible someone developed their own style long

Female blood elves martial arts as hand to hand combat. Just unequip your weapon and right click.

AM NOW KUNG FU MASTER.

But a lot of people that swapped to monk are warriors and ex-rogues, from what I see. Which makes sense.
Edited by Arielen on 12/3/2012 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gotta tell ya... not having to pry yourself out of dented plate after battle before you can go to the bar and drink-fight with your fellow soldiers is a really nice change of pace. Leather's really cozy in comparison plus we get to drink-fight before, during, AND after combat!
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Mage
I'm curious about the non-pandaren master monk trainers at the monastery in Kun-Lai Summit, especially since they have Chinese-sounding names. I think the dwarf is Master Woo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Suaris here was an ex-body guard. But after the disaster left in the wake of the Cataclysm he felt lost and without purpose, but after time to grieve the loved ones lost he encountered the traveling Pandaren monks and started to train with them and pick his life back up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Have the non-pandaren masters on the Peak of Serenity been promoted under affurmative action paws rather than their own merit?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Have the non-pandaren masters on the Peak of Serenity been promoted under affurmative action paws rather than their own murrit?

Can't believe you missed making that joke.
Reply Quote
58 Troll Monk
12/03/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Kolaran
Well, I imagine many were warriors or rogues before being trained in the ways of the monk. I'd assume they'd have some martial skill beforehand.

This is kinda it for Katchina. She was always athletic, and a trained ceremonial dancer. One of the things which drew her to train as a monk was the combination of spirituality with the dance-like moves. She pretty much had that down pat! She also doesn't use beer so much as she uses hallucinogenic inducing drinks that she is used to preparing for ceremonies to mark enemies. It has the bonus of being highly flammable!

So her main issue is learning the put strength and force behind her fighting moves, as well as to just heighten her speed and such. When she hits 90, which will take a couple months so that will work IC wise, she will have mastered much more thanks to the war.

12/03/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Svarga
Gotta tell ya... not having to pry yourself out of dented plate after battle before you can go to the bar and drink-fight with your fellow soldiers is a really nice change of pace. Leather's really cozy in comparison plus we get to drink-fight before, during, AND after combat!

I hear ya! It's nice ta not have skirts and tassles be cloggin' up the works, and helps to protect ya when you be draggin' drunks home to make sure they don't get in any more trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I'm seriously not role playing that I'm a master at level 80. Yezian is still a student and will be for a very long time, probably until the end of his life.

This is one example when I put game mechanics aside and pursue my own path.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I don't play Kamazhi as a master monk. However, for thousands of years before he ever touched monkhood, he was an unarmed fighter, feeling shapeshifting [he was a druid] and weapons weren't really suited to him. Even since 2007 when I first rolled him, he's near-exclusively been a hand to hand fighter.

He's already trained in boxing, wing chun, and wrestling, monkhood is just providing him increased discipline and the ability to manipulate his chi [which he's roleplayed as still very much becoming adept at, nowhere near a master].
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A lot of this has been interesting in the sense that it shines light on how people justify their monks being strong. The general consensus here seems to be that it becomes a blend of what you were doing before with the monk tradition. Essentially you're not "pure" monk. You're monk plus a hefty dose of your previous combat style. I actually like that explanation. The previous Orc Warriors, Night Elf Sentinels, and Stormwind Assassins who have learned the monk style have adapted it, and their own prior training, to synthesize something new. New mutations of the Monk style are growing quickly.

Honestly, now I would like to RP a powerful non-pandaren monk, just because I think the mix-matching of styles sounds like an awesome RP hook.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Waellyn Tiderunner, failed rogue. Sanitation worker in Silvermoon. Those magic brooms are only so effective you know. Spent her nights partying in Eversong and beyond.

Your typical lowly alcoholic failure turned drunken fighter story. It was a Pandaren that befriended her and opened her eyes to a more ambitious future. Not a master by any means but definitely learning fast.

~~ Sef
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My monk was part of the Scarlet Crusade in his youth, and learned the weaponless fighting style of the Scarlet Monks. He will no doubt learn more techniques from the Pandaren now that he is in Pandaria, though he is by no means a Master and I do not intend that he ever will be.

Brother Korloff first learned of the monk's deadly arts from pandaren ambassadors as they journeyed through Azeroth. When the crusader demonstrated this martial style to his superiors, they unanimously ordered Korloff to train an entire generation of initiates in the ways of the monk.

- WoW Dungeon Journal
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I RP Seyna as a boxer. Had monks been available in the beginning, Sey would have been a monk instead of a rogue.

So now I have a rogue Seyna and a monk Seyna (Kailiang).

I just RP that with the pandaren showing up, Sey's expanding his knowledge in unarmed fighting.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I'm just going to put this out there: There are many, many NPC monks in the game that date back to pre-MoP. Remember that Pandaren monks are special because they channel/manipulate chi.

The less mystical hand-to-hand experts and clerical monks still were in the game before MoP/Pandarens, and newbie monks could be veterans of those sort of monk archetypes who are either downplaying the mystical/magic chi side (like Fides mentioned) or have been skilled in mundane techniques previously and are now picking up the chi focusing part.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Monks existed in some way, shape or form for a lot of races and just not in the big (generic) pool that we now know a la Mists of Pandaria.

Humans had them, draenei had them and like a lot of people have mentioned already, it's not hard to imagine characters skilled in particular things like hand-to-hand combat and grappling.
Reply Quote
Must have gone through one hell of an 80's training montage. Whoever their montage editor is I need to know. Because damn did they become kung-fu masters fast.

Seriously though, does everybody think it's lore viable to say that otherwise untrained members of other races just kunged many fus and are now as badass as Pandaren who have been practicing martial arts their whole lives? If so, by what justification? Discuss.

I'd give my own non-Pandaren monk at least a year before they're even average. Monk-ism (Monkdom? Monkification?) has just been introduced into the rest of Azeroth. No, monks like the Scarlet Monks do not count. They just, as someone said in another thread, punch things really well. More akin to a warrior. Apples and oranges.

So, no, non-Pandaren monks shouldn't be Sensei Master Pootisfist the Strong XIV in, what, a month? Two?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I punched things to death before they made a class for it.

Also, Seyna is a good puncher.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]