Non-pandaren Monks

90 Pandaren Rogue
12/03/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Duffmcwhalen
I punched things to death before they made a class for it.

*puts on Hipster glasses*

12/03/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Duffmcwhalen
Also, Seyna is a good puncher.

<3
Reply Quote
There is an assumption that monks are a pandaren thing which is not true. In real life, monks were in multiple cultures, not just Asia. In fact, monks were very important to and prevalent in the western European era for the Christian faith, which is what the humans of the Alliance seem to be based off of. Therefore, a monk can likely be based off of other religions in Azeroth.

But regardless, the concept of a monk is not strictly Asian by any means, and while many asked for monks to be a class, I don't think they envisioned it as being a pandaren thing. Anyone can be a monk.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbLtHg5HgE
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
12/03/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Máirin
Sensei Master Pootisfist the Strong XIV

I.. think I found a name for my monk!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
There is an assumption that monks are a pandaren thing which is not true. In real life, monks were in multiple cultures, not just Asia. In fact, monks were very important to and prevalent in the western European era for the Christian faith, which is what the humans of the Alliance seem to be based off of. Therefore, a monk can likely be based off of other religions in Azeroth.

But regardless, the concept of a monk is not strictly Asian by any means, and while many asked for monks to be a class, I don't think they envisioned it as being a pandaren thing. Anyone can be a monk.

Mmm... I don't know. I'm aware that many cultures in the real world, in fact MOST of them, have developed unarmed fighting styles... but it's not really the same as an Asian themed
kung-fu master monk, which is what the Monk class clearly emulates. I'm aware that you can RP a monk and NOT be a kung-fu fighter in the style of Asian monks, but then you wouldn't have been trained by Pandaren, and your backstory is different. Which I suppose is a fair position to take.
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Death Knight
It's not hard to imagine many heroes(We are, after all, heroes of Azeroth. The multitudes of questlines that state that are nearly on a "Shepard, take pistol, save galaxy" level) had great martial training before choosing to hone the martial skills and learn the more mystical ways of the Pandarens.

Bear in mind that our characters are above average citizens of Azeroth. We are stronger, faster, smarter..better. We are GREAT at killing, and probably can adapt to new fighting styles very quickly.

Now I'm talking most characters. If you are seeing one of those Humans who RP still in their teen years and claim to be a Master Monk..It doesn't stick.

But a 5-10,000 year old Draenei Warrior who decided to take up the Pandaren's combat approach? Believable that they would master it. Hell, I'd settle for the bare minimum of adulthood for most races.

Note: This all only applies if this is a Warrior, or perhaps Rogue, or some other MARTIAL class that became a Monk. If you were a Mage, became a Monk, and are already a Master...No one is buying that. You were a Mage. You sucked in melee, by definition.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

... Why hasn't this been linked in this thread yet? XD
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Death Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

... Why hasn't this been linked in this thread yet? XD

Just write that in your MRP, and you are solid. XD
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Monk

Mmm... I don't know. I'm aware that many cultures in the real world, in fact MOST of them, have developed unarmed fighting styles... but it's not really the same as an Asian themed
kung-fu master monk, which is what the Monk class clearly emulates. I'm aware that you can RP a monk and NOT be a kung-fu fighter in the style of Asian monks, but then you wouldn't have been trained by Pandaren, and your backstory is different. Which I suppose is a fair position to take.

This is kind of where I work my RP. But luckily, Blood Elves are noted for their grace with power even in the novels. Shifting from a fighter with a sword or the like to unarmed isn't ~too~ hard.

My monk here is actually this way because he's against killing people, deep down. He doesn't want to bring death, so instead, he's focused more on high fighting with his own body or a staff. It's mostly self taught, but has taken to the Pandaren training since it was available.

And considering a staff in this sort is much like fighting with a polearm, I try to keep it less Asian oriented. Though his style physically is more based off muay thai than anything when not using the staff.

Luckiest part of all of this is we don't really ~know~ what all kinds of fighting, what techniques and the like existed throughout. Simply that there are many varying kinds throughout the lore.
Reply Quote

Here is another way to look at it. I feel priest lore is very similar in this regard. Priests traditionally were known to be simply as followers of The Light. However, many different races can be priests but they don't typically follow The Light even though the animations show holy spells.

A Night Elf priest is following Elune.
A Tauren priest is following An'she.
A troll priest is following the Loa.
etc.

I think this logic can be applied to the non-pandaren monks as needed to fit one's back story. And this is all just my opinion too as while I don't currently play anything other than Ros-y here, I see monks as having a lot of potential than just "I was trained by a bunch of pandaren."
Edited by Rosalynnd on 12/4/2012 9:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Here is another way to look at it. I feel priest lore is very similar in this regard. Priests traditionally were known to be simply as followers of The Light. However, many different races can be priests but they don't typically follow The Light even though the animations show holy spells.

A Night Elf priest is following Elune.
A Tauren priest is following An'she.
A troll priest is following the Loa.
etc.

I think this logic can be applied to the non-pandaren monks as needed to fit one's back story. And this is all just my opinion too as while I don't currently play anything other than Ros-y here, I see monks as having a lot of potential than just "I was trained by a bunch of pandaren."

This the model I use. The short version of this character's background is that he's a Vindicator studying ancient techniques from manuals and documents recovered from Auchenai Crypts in Auchindoun. To him, the monk abilities are an alternate method of understanding and using the Light, though he'll find it interesting that Pandarens insist on calling it "Chi," when they are already aware of the existence of the Light.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Listen. According to the montage I did in Valley of the Four Winds, I have mastered the art of egg punching and brick breaking and I'm way better than Lin Tenderpaw.

Honestly I don't know why I had to use my fists, I can throw fire just fine.
Reply Quote
I couldnt think of a way around the rather unfortunate paradox of being a Gnome trapped underground for years, not even knowing what a Pandaren is, and then suddenly being rescued with full blown martial arts skills and everyone calling him a monk. Especially since there were no Gnome monks when Gnomeregan fell.

I thought about just making him a badazz who punched irradiated Troggs to death with his bare hands to survive, and quickly discarded that idea because I wanted him to be a slightly older Gnome.

So I fudged it a bit, and decided my Gnome had met Chen Stormstout in Kalimdor, and followed him back to the Wandering Isle, and stayed there, studying Pandaren cuisine, and learning how to fight from the Pandarens there while Chen went off on more adventures.

Now, years later he has heard about the catastrophe at Gnomeregan from the Alliance members who crash landed on the Wandering Isle. So he has decided to return and use the skills the Pandarens taught him to help his fellow Gnomes.

- Chin Lo
"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities." - Bruce Lee
Reply Quote
20 Orc Monk
Lasihka's about as green as a monk can get. (Figuratively speaking.)
As a former warrior who's only just begun basic monk training, she can hold her own in a fight, but has yet to fully grasp why "Hulk smash!" isn't the most practical solution to any problem she encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I couldnt think of a way around the rather unfortunate paradox of being a Gnome trapped underground for years, not even knowing what a Pandaren is, and then suddenly being rescued with full blown martial arts skills and everyone calling him a monk. Especially since there were no Gnome monks when Gnomeregan fell.

I thought about just making him a badazz who punched irradiated Troggs to death with his bare hands to survive, and quickly discarded that idea because I wanted him to be a slightly older Gnome.

Why not? As I said, I RP Sey as a boxer, even though I made a monk version of him. You could just RP him as a brawler.

I like the idea of a tough gnome with Popeye arms (complete with anchor tattoos) punching out troggs, and Popeye ain't exactly a young guy. Or, at least, I don't think so. He doesn't look it. XD
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Monk
Crove was a fromer rogue, he was injured and turned to the monks for help. Seeing how great they were and how focused on person improvement, he decided to become one. He still uses alot of the moves and styles of being a rogue, but is quickly learning to master new things. Will he be a master soon? More then likely not. But he is still a great warrior and becomeing a monk will only make him greater.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Jorinde doesn't fully remember her life but she was somewhere along the lines of a warrior. The whole "dead" thing freaked her out a great deal and was kindly whisked away from the Eastern Kingdoms to Kalimdor where she "lived" peacefully but greatly disturbed until she met a wandering pandaren. A training montage in Mulgore later, she's "spiritually" in the Peak of Serenity now.

She's not a master by any stretch of the imagination but she's a little ways ahead of the curve. She doesn't need to sleep or eat so the time is spent learning, training and meditating instead.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
I feel like this song belongs here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9Uwhjlog8
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
As a martial artist myself, I do see that it does suspend belief somewhat that newly bred monks are "masters" with percieved very little training... But perhaps not so.

#1. Pandaria is deemed (or at least was) a peaceful place with very little to no conflict until only recently. Now it is one thing to practice a martial art for years and years, but without any combat experience (sparring does count, but it is very different to "real world fights") your technique only takes you so far. In this case, Pandarans would have semi-experience in battle (mostly) as they spar with one another without fear of death or real injury. Most Azerothian's have toiled in the heats of battle for years, unending wars and whatnot. They are far more used to the adrenaline and fear that comes with it.

#2. "Reverse Engineering" oddly enough comes into play quite alot here (and has been brought up before) Many monks started as something that wasn't a monk. Rogue, Warrior, Paladin, etc... This basis adds to your foundation. Interestingly enough, it is generally the other way around that people learn such. Most weapons arts (not all) use weapons as an extension of self.
A good example of this is "Knife Hand" technique. As the name suggests, you use your hand in a similar way to using a blade. A master swordsman, would very easily pick up this technique, and style, as it follows very closely to the style and technique already learned.

#3. Everyone can learn a martial art. Most people learn it maybe 2 hours a week, and it takes maybe 3 years (or less or more depending on style) to become a black belt. These Monks in game, would be spending considerably more time learning these techniques, doing stints of likely closer to 8 hours a day, minimum. This would certainly make the learning process faster.

#4 Final point. "What is a Master?" A master in martial arts terms varies from person to person, from school to school. It can be viewed as something as simple as "Black Belt" (Usually 4th dan) Or when one has no more they can learn from their school. It can be when one is able to take what they know, and not only teach others, but look upon themselves, and teach themselves further.
Personally, for me, it is that last one that makes you a "Master" in the style. You have evolved past the realm of student, to a point where Martial arts becomes your own journey that you can tread and walk without the guidance of others, and evolves into your own self discovery of Martial arts, and of yourself.

Hope that helped out a bit, and hope that you enjoyed reading a little into Martial Arts Philosophy. As a wise man once said.
"He whow speaks, does not know. He who knows, does not speak."
... Which means... I guess I'm full of it :) Anyway. Have fun Monk'eying about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]