I am a Prot Pally who does 8.3K DPS@90 HELP!!

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, I have been playing prot since WOTLK, mostly dungeon finder to be honest. I have always been seen as a good tank, but not anymore.

My damage SUCKS. I see other prot pallies doing respectable DPS while tanking and I can barely hit 8.5K.

So I throw myself to the mercy of the forums. Please help me out, spec, glyphs, whatever.

What is wrong with me/my pally?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
More hit and expertise, NUMBER 1, you can get some enchants and gems pretty cheap as you will be upgrading soon
Don’t worry about reforging into dodge and parry.
P1ss off eternal flame and take sacred shield
Lights hammer is also a great talent.
How’s your rotation? Try to focus on HotR (or CS for single target) and judgment to build your holy power, use fillers in between on their cooldown (consecrate, holy wrath, Avenger shield), pop AS when you get the buff.
Use Shield Of the Righteous and not WoG (unless necessary) the damage reduction combined with Seal Of insight is going to keep you alive.
So long as you hold aggro, don’t stand in the fire and keep an eye on your healers mana/ability to keep moving you will be doing fine. The DPS need to worry about the numbers.

Vengeance builds up and your damage increases, as your gear improves (hit and expertise) your damage will also improve
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
...Pull more?

Seriously, though, only things gear-wise I can see is that you have a touch too much hit and nowhere near enough expertise and dodge gems are bad. Though, personally, you're using too much tank gear for a Pally tank.

For Paladins, DPS gear is widely considered superior to actual tanking gear since you can find DPS plate with haste. Haste is good because it lowers your ability cooldowns and your globals. This translates into greater uptime on Shield of the Righteous' damage reduction buff. Another thing to consider with DPS gear is that it has more strength than tank gear, and strength converts to parry at a startlingly good rate; I have 19% as Ret, and it's only the first tier.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
...Pull more?

Seriously, though, only things gear-wise I can see is that you have a touch too much hit and nowhere near enough expertise and dodge gems are bad. Though, personally, you're using too much tank gear for a Pally tank.

For Paladins, DPS gear is widely considered superior to actual tanking gear since you can find DPS plate with haste. Haste is good because it lowers your ability cooldowns and your globals. This translates into greater uptime on Shield of the Righteous' damage reduction buff. Another thing to consider with DPS gear is that it has more strength than tank gear, and strength converts to parry at a startlingly good rate; I have 19% as Ret, and it's only the first tier.

As true as alot of this is, am I the only one that gets horribly depressed that stacking haste is becoming mainstream for a plate user shield wielding tank? Monks and druids cover the niche dps geared tank, kinda sad to see one of the two "True style" tanks going that way.

Guess its not a suprise though, stat values are all over the place and fairly screwed for alot of specs, gotta love that new expansion I have no idea what Im doing vibe -.-.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Cap Expertise (15%), Cap Haste (7.5%)

Reforge to hit and expertise, and gem if necessary, then dump all yellow sockets and reforging you have left into haste (It's harder at earlier gear levels, but you can once you start raiding).

Check out my character, as i put up HUGE numbers in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

Reforge to hit and expertise, and gem if necessary, then dump all yellow sockets and reforging you have left into haste (It's harder at earlier gear levels, but you can once you start raiding).

Cap haste? I assume you mean Hit
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
As true as alot of this is, am I the only one that gets horribly depressed that stacking haste is becoming mainstream for a plate user shield wielding tank? Monks and druids cover the niche dps geared tank, kinda sad to see one of the two "True style" tanks going that way.

Guess its not a suprise though, stat values are all over the place and fairly screwed for alot of specs, gotta love that new expansion I have no idea what Im doing vibe -.-.

And why can't there be one "DPS geared" leather tank and one "DPS geared" plate tank? I don't agree with the term to begin with because if it helps you survive longer and do your job more effectively, it's tank gear, no matter what other people want to call it. It allows for greater variety, lets more drops see dual use (both my Prot main tank and myself get excited when we see Haste/Expertise plate drop, because it'll get put to use), and distinguishes Prot Paladin gearing from Prot Warrior gearing.

Stat values are far from "screwed" and particularly not with tank or healer classes in PvE, because Blizz's top priority when an expansion hits is to make sure those two roles are functional. People now need to know how *their* class tanks, not just follow a generic cookie-cutter stat priority.

Besides which, it's damn fun.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I dont know how you're only doing 8.3k dps XD i'd do that white dmg XD

Crusader strike > Judgement > Avenger shield > Consecration (if more than one target you may want to use this earlier) > Shield of the Righteous when ever you have 3 HoPo, (its off GCD so you can use it at any time.

Lights Hammer for any AoE, Execution Sentence for Single target.

i personally rock this macro when ever i want to smash the dps
/use Potion of mogu Power
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Holy Avenger
/use Lessons of the Darkmaster
/cast Avenger's shield

Even if AS is on CD you can quickly hit it, than just go with your normal rotation and it just wont AS.

Though you should have Sacred shield, having eternal flame shouldn't be a dps loss. But still change that, i WoG for over 300k in raids with mastery.
Glyph of focused shield for single target fights.

You dont NEED to cap your expertise to 15%, especially with your gear level, just soft cap at 7.5% exp / 7.5% hit for now.

Think Less about stam / dodge and more about Mastery / Haste.

I personally go with Hit/exp 7.5% > Mastery > Haste > Dodge = Parry,
As you can see i still even use a blue trinket for the Dps boost, and brute Expertise it offers. also remembering that for each 1000 STR i get 1% parry =D.

Also remember, the higher level mob you tank, the higher dmg you take, the higher vengence you get, the higher attack power you gain, the higher dps you'll do!

I still cant believe you only do 8.3k dps. Do you hold threat? lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

And why can't there be one "DPS geared" leather tank and one "DPS geared" plate tank? I don't agree with the term to begin with because if it helps you survive longer and do your job more effectively, it's tank gear, no matter what other people want to call it. It allows for greater variety, lets more drops see dual use (both my Prot main tank and myself get excited when we see Haste/Expertise plate drop, because it'll get put to use), and distinguishes Prot Paladin gearing from Prot Warrior gearing.

Stat values are far from "screwed" and particularly not with tank or healer classes in PvE, because Blizz's top priority when an expansion hits is to make sure those two roles are functional. People now need to know how *their* class tanks, not just follow a generic cookie-cutter stat priority.

Besides which, it's damn fun.

Yeah i agree, though i'm not that big of a fan of haste / expertise, i cream over mastery / haste gear.... like my belt... CREAM! The stat's aren't screwed or out of whack because of this expansion, they have improved prot paladins to be more fun to play, and not so face roll, timing your Active Mitigation / when to WoG and what not, that and we crank the deeps!
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight

am looking at your gear, you got a lots of dps plate gear, so you do a lot of dps, but do you get also a lot of damage ?

i got a paly tank, ive been tanking since BC, now am haveing trouble olding some aggro ?
this is my toon, maybe you can help me out :)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ysondre/Pasteur/simple
Edited by Furaxor on 12/8/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Furaxor
am looking at your gear, you got a lots of dps plate gear, so you do a lot of dps, but do you get also a lot of damage ?

Because prot got the sanctity of battle ability, haste provides a direct increase to survivability by increasing holy power generation and resulting in higher shield of the righteous uptime. Along with being hard capped for expertise and hit, the most noticeable side effect of it is the damage output. You don't miss, you don't get parried, you don't get dodged, and your attacks come faster.

The general upshot is that anything that doesn't have crit is absolutely valid tanking gear, and a piece with crit can still be a good option depending on the other stats, what you're doing, and what your healers are comfortable with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]