Why ever use Kill Command?

5 Pandaren Hunter
Assuming GCD is 1 sec and fights last longer than 3 seconds -

I do 1100 Damage with Arcane Shot for 20 focus, and I do 1300 damage with Kill Command for 40 Focus.

If say you only get to use 3 spells in a fight, then yes, kill command is going to do more damage. 3 Kill Command drains full bar of focus and does 3900 Damage.

Now if a fight lasts longer than 3 secs:
4 Secs with arc shot = 4400 Damage

And it only scales up from there. So why would I ever use Kill Command?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

I do 1100 Damage with Arcane Shot for 20 focus, and I do 1300 damage with Kill Command for 40 Focus.

If say you only get to use 3 spells in a fight, then yes, kill command is going to do more damage. 3 Kill Command drains full bar of focus and does 3900 Damage.

In PVP situations, this question is kind of silly. 100 yard range. Enough said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Are you referring to low level hunters?

Different story at higher levels. Especially if BM.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Elegon numbers, damage buff, blah blah blah.

Two average non-crit Arcane Shots: 2x58k = 116k in 2 GCD
Average non-crit Kill Command: 134k in 1 GCD

I'll stick with my Kill Commands.
Edited by Melhunt on 12/3/2012 10:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
5 Pandaren Hunter
You all say but you don't explain why. Unless you are posting something with SUBSTANCE then don't post at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/03/2012 10:48 PMPosted by Origination
You all say but you don't explain why. Unless you are posting something with SUBSTANCE then don't post at all.

Kill Command hits a lot harder at higher levels than Arcane Shot. Well certainly it does for a BM Hunter. Not too sure about other specs.

I don't have any screenshots, but take my word for it, at higher levels, Kill Command > Arcane Shot, despite being a focus dump ability.

For BM, escpecially important, hit Wrath plus stacked with Mastery, Kill Command is a great ability.

Blink Strike is even better for a no focus ability, but for focus, I use KC, then Arcane, but always KC when it's up.

The 'SUBSTANCE' you put on your original post is probably for a low level hunter, in which maybe Arcane is still better than KC. But like I said earlier, KC overtakes Arcane for damage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

If "more damage per focus in fewer global cooldowns" isn't substance i don't know what is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Mastery increases Pet dmg, lvl 90 = kill command hits 2-3x as hard
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Lol damage aside it has benefits over other abilities.

If a healer is running around a pillar and my pet is on his butt but I'm being CC'ed...I can use kill command and finish off my opponent instantly before he can heal and i can run over to get to him.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
And plus, never ignore an ability that has the word KILL in it!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
For someone askin such a dumb question you're being awfully catty.

Based on your op, you're talking low level. At higher levels KC is stronger in one global than 2 arcane.

Reply Quote
89 Undead Rogue

You're asking what it's use is out of context as the burning man effigy of a sec fight being exagerated kinda is overplayed. Also asking about 'Why would you ever... ?' about anything without first actually looking at max level scaling shows you to be ignorant of anything truly relevant to your question.

That said in general Arcane shot is much better damage per focus at most levels BUT short of mobility fights pre steady/cobra on move it will never result in better damage per second. Why is that?

Cobra shot = 70% weapon damage + 6 seconds to SS +14 focus

Arcane shot = 100% damage + 2302 at max level(this is easily only 20% damage at most once decently geared max level) + costs 20 focus, (for easy math calling this 120% which is generaous in favor of your argument)

Kill Command = RAP scaling ability but will be asumed to be 200% damage as this is lowballing it to defer to you argument making it more likely it's not needed the higher it is the more you would want it + costs 40 focus (scales directly with additional mastery and pet frenzy as well)

For napkin math we will assume ALL passive focus regen is being used on arcan shots and is being discounted as being equal. Also assumes no haste or crit as they scale linearly in relevance to this argument. Mastery is being assumed to be 0 but more mastery favors Kill Command use.

So now to be focus neutral you will need: (Focus neutrality is only consideration for being in relation to eachother as all others will be consistent and equal exclusive of these, ie auto shot damage, passive focus regen used on arcane shots etc.)

NO Kill Command for ~30 sec of the rotation

10 CS + 7 AS = 700% + 840% = 1540% damage in 30.5 seconds (50.5% weapon damage per second change to dps secluded from mastery, haste, crit all which are equal or favor KC directly)

WITH Kill Command for ~50 sec of the rotation

7 KC + 20 CS = 1400% + 1400% = 2800% in 50.5 secs (55.45% weapon damage per second change to dps secluded from mastery, haste, crit etc)

End result direct relation there is a 10% portion share damage increase over not using KC BUT in your total damage rotation including all other factors (arcanes from passive regen, Auto shots, crit, haste) KC roughly would be safe to assume about 2-3% edge at most but KC is more and more desirable the more mastery you have AND is mandatory during BW use as pet damage is increased 20% your's is only increased by 10%
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
This thread looks similar to those trying to convince some mm hunters they still need to use their pet. OP has already convinced themselves somehow and will learn the hard way when they hit the level where it matters.
Reply Quote
You're level 5....

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
When you get mediocre gear, your Arcanes start to look like:
http://i.imgur.com/C8P2u.jpg

and KC looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/ViQhb.jpg

thats 41.1k arcane avg and 82k KC average. Its not with flasks/raid buffs, but I was in DO, so theres a 6% dmg increase, however. Even with TOH you'd still want to save/ready for KC.
Edited by Fiddlery on 12/5/2012 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
At 90 kill command does more damage... You can't base a hunters moves off a low level character.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
At 90 kill command does more damage... You can't base a hunters moves off a low level character.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
From worldoflogs.com
This is from my fight on garajal heroic.

Kill command total damage: 4,309,558 (32% of pet's total damage after melee hits)
Auto shot: 3,648,955 (this was my most damaging ability).
Arcane shot: 3,024,920

And it goes down from there.

Kill command is our #1 damaging ability and should NEVER be off cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Are you referring to low level hunters?

Different story at higher levels. Especially if BM.

Only BM has kill command.

@OP. remove KC from your bars till 80. If at 80 you still don't know why it is better than arcane shot, then delete your toon and uninstall immediately.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]