The State of each PvP Bracket

This is a personal opinion, however, it could still be valuable information for anyone deciding on a bracket.

20-24: I have decided to take this character and my other 24 twink to a higher bracket, and likely the 49 bracket, for the following reasons:

1) Too low of health. Things, including myself, die too quickly.

2) Heals are very powerful at this level, specifically Priests with their bubble.

3) I need more spells.

4) I need more than two choices for BGs.

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT - I am simply just expressing my opinion of this bracket and I have decided to move on up :) Hope people looking for a bracket were able to take some of this information into consideration.

Even though it's just the 20-24 bracket, you still need to put considerable effort into finishing your character.

Check out my 24 lock's armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonmaw/Feardotjpg/simple

1. It's super important to be hit capped (6%) so your fears and burst damage does not miss.

2. Demonology is not very good until much later in the game (it's more of a gimmick spec). You would be much better off as Destruction or Affliction (I prefer Destro atm).

Also, I wouldn't move up to the 29 or 39 brackets atm, they do not have activity. 29s do not have the numbers or interest for a revival right now, as many people are MIA for the holidays or in general. The 39s are planning on trying for games this Wednesday, but it's a lot of work to finish a 39 before then, especially if games don't end up happening.

24s are the only bracket right now which has consistent activity (24-7 pops) and a lot of people are migrating to that bracket from other places. 49s are a good bracket (a lot of fun) but 24s are equally fun depending on who you end up playing with. Many of the level 20 F2P twinks are skilled players and games consisting of 20s/24s group queuing are usually quite fun (and competitive).

I would give the 24 bracket a second chance, since it's going to become the new go-to bracket for twinking, much like 19s were in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Im leveling right now a prot warrior, the ques can be somewhat lengthy and the exp is god awful but hey its so unbalanced I get to enjoy 1v3ing people and winning.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
@JD: What did you mean exactly by "present your findings?" Great suggestion though for saving this just in case something happens to it. I will do so immediately. Oh, and JD it is :)

I mean you are gathering all this information up. What are your plans once you have all of your findings? Call GC up and give him the information? =)

Just going to keep the thread active and hope people find it of good use :)
Reply Quote
24 Undead Warlock
Even though it's just the 20-24 bracket, you still need to put considerable effort into finishing your character.

Check out my 24 lock's armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonmaw/Feardotjpg/simple

1. It's super important to be hit capped (6%) so your fears and burst damage does not miss.

2. Demonology is not very good until much later in the game (it's more of a gimmick spec). You would be much better off as Destruction or Affliction (I prefer Destro atm).

Also, I wouldn't move up to the 29 or 39 brackets atm, they do not have activity. 29s do not have the numbers or interest for a revival right now, as many people are MIA for the holidays or in general. The 39s are planning on trying for games this Wednesday, but it's a lot of work to finish a 39 before then, especially if games don't end up happening.

24s are the only bracket right now which has consistent activity (24-7 pops) and a lot of people are migrating to that bracket from other places. 49s are a good bracket (a lot of fun) but 24s are equally fun depending on who you end up playing with. Many of the level 20 F2P twinks are skilled players and games consisting of 20s/24s group queuing are usually quite fun (and competitive).

I would give the 24 bracket a second chance, since it's going to become the new go-to bracket for twinking, much like 19s were in the past.

I appreciate your feedback. You are right in that I should give it another effort, especially considering my warlock is not nearly finished. The fact that it is so active is very reassuring.

However, I would like to consider the following: The additional pieces of gear and the change of my specialization do not solve my primary opinions of the bracket.

1) My health would not significantly increase
2) Heals would still be powerful
3) I would still like more spells
4) I would still like to have more options than just AB and WSG

Again, I sincerely appreciate your input, and I certainly will be giving it another chance, however, I still am comfortable saying that the 20-24 bracket is not my favorite. Nothing against the bracket or it's community whatsoever :)
Edited by Dody on 11/25/2012 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
11/25/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Chrisboxed
Im leveling right now a prot warrior, the ques can be somewhat lengthy and the exp is god awful but hey its so unbalanced I get to enjoy 1v3ing people and winning.

Which bracket are you referring to?
Reply Quote
I appreciate your feedback. You are right in that I should give it another effort, especially considering my warlock is not nearly finished. The fact that it is so active is very reassuring.

However, I would like to consider the following: The additional pieces of gear and the change of my specialization do not solve my primary opinions of the bracket.

1) My health would not significantly increase
2) Heals would still be powerful
3) I would still like more spells
4) I would still like to have more options than just AB and WSG

Again, I sincerely appreciate your input, and I certainly will be giving it another chance, however, I still am comfortable saying that the 20-24 bracket is not my favorite. Nothing against the bracket or it's community whatsoever :)

1. I don't have any particularly difficult to get items on my lock aside from AgM. 500 extra HP is another attack's worth of hp. It's nothing to sneeze at. Health is not the only reason to finish gearing. The offensive stats between spell power and crit rating also make a huge difference.

2. Heals are manageable, especially with teamwork/coordination. You're not going to find a bracket where the healing is significantly less than 24s by comparison. I can do enough damage to most healers by myself as Destro to where they need help to survive.

3. More spells doesn't really make a difference if the quality of your spells aren't up to par to begin with. Demonology requires that you stand still building up Demonic Fury in order to have any mobile damage. Demo has good control over fights, especially against melee, but does not really do much damage at this level. Not without standing around free casting all day.

Destro solves the burst problem with better overall damage without a bunch of ramp up time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/Squigis00/WoWScrnShot_112512_164639.jpg?t=1353890866

4. Most brackets play WSG exclusively. 24s are the only bracket where you can do something different, unless you want to make a 70, 80, or an 85. At that point you might as well just level to 90 and play end game pvp.

Ultimately, you're not going to find a nice balance of having a great set of abilities for you class, tons of BG map options, and the ability to play 24/7. You have to make sacrifices based on what you prefer most, and unfortunately, 49s and 24s are the only really viable options atm.
Edited by Baeloro on 11/25/2012 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
10-19 monk healers just annihalte anything here...was in a bg with a monk healing with soothing mist..one tick and he was on full hp even with 4-5 dps on him...hard to interrupt when he has a macro that casts then stops casting straight away..shouldnt tick so fast
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/25/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Flamazz

Which bracket are you referring to?

Well he was lvl 60 when i posted this, now hes 70 and not much has changed.
Reply Quote
24 Undead Warlock
There was a balance druid in WSG last night that was very frustrating. Impossible to kill. :(
Reply Quote
24 Undead Warlock
11/25/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Baeloro

This is an accurate depiction of the 24 bracket. If you already have access to a heirloom head, shoulders, chest, legs, weapon(s), and trinkets, for a particular class then you can have an extremely well-geared 24 twink (minus AGM) in about 8-12 hours of play time.

I recently deleted a 24 shaman and druid, but that still leaves me with 8 twinks in this bracket. Classes that I would not roll for this bracket at the moment are mage, warlock, and hunter. Personally, I like a lot of 1v3 action, and while these classes may have good dps output, they have poor survivability verses multiple opponents as compared any class that has access to self-heals. Rogues are a popular non-healing class in this bracket, but with the loss of Shadowstep, Sprint, and Vanish, I find the class to be "meh" to play right now.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Priest
35-39: Arguably the best mechanics/very balanced, however slow/no queues. Heirlooms very effective. Next Wednesday, November 28, this bracket will attempt to resurface.

45-49: Very balanced, great queues, and great quality on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays after 9:00pm EST. Heirlooms very effective. No queue times outside of those three nights.

From what I have been reading, the the low level xp-off brackets that have the best chance at revival, along with providing a more balanced pvp experience are the 39 and 49 brackets.

The 39 bracket looks especially good to me, but I will be checking it out for the scheduled games tomorrow for the very first time.

We are queueing Wednesday November 28, 2012 at 9pm EST (6pm PST).
Reply Quote
49 Blood Elf Priest
The 49 bracket has alot to offer with the 49pvp.com website, a longstanding community, and consistent and reliable games.

Along with some of the best balance mid/game.

If you are interested in seeing the games, we have several people streaming from the 49 website, and those streams are available on the 49pvp.com website.

39's are very similiar to the 49 bracket but currently aren't getting games, hopefully they have better luck tomorrow.

I have a 70 but haven't played her recently, but every 70 player I have talked to said the bracket is not playable anymore since the resilience changes.

I unfortunately have no experience with upper tier pvp at this point.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Priest
Obviously, threads like this one are a testament to how many players enjoy low level PvP and how they like to create a few low level alts to park in brackets that they perceive to be fun to play in.

WoW is a great game, and its devs obviously do a lot to make it so, but they have consistently failed to comprehend much about the low level PvP community (which includes twink communities). These communities did manifest and flourish for a long time, despite WoW's much apparent indifference to them.

It is clear WoW has been more than just indifferent to the "twink community" as was best demonstrated by what would be the obvious ramifications a poorly-timed and implemented battleground xp-gain (xp-off) patch --which effectively made xp-off brackets dead on arrival. The support and transitions that were needed to make sure that xp-off-PvP would be viable were simply not in place when the changes were made.

Now due the expansion of the number of realms that can participate together in a particular battleground, combined with the improved ease of queuing (which includes quueing with friends via battletags or real-ID) for bgs, a platform has arisen with the potential to resurrect many low level PvP brackets.

Even so, it is apparent that the devs still do not "get" or that they they continue remain "indifferent" to the low level PvP communities. The evidence for this provided by the growing imbalance between classes in most brackets, and by the increasing amount of grandfathered gear or enchants that exists in many brackets, or by the lack of decent gear that is available in a bracket for certain classes or specs.

WoW should not be treated as though its just one game with one main purpose, which is to do level 90 PvE content. WoW is a game that has the potential of providing a diverse amount of of positive experiences if the game is developed to support a variety of its communities, who like to focus on completely different aspects of the game.

In my opinion, if more development, balance, and support was aimed at the low level PvP experience (which includes xp-on and xp-off expereinces) this would translate into millions of more active WoW subscriptions.

/popcorn
Edited by Shebad on 11/27/2012 12:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
49 Blood Elf Priest
I will agree that Blizzard has made several mistakes over the years and that their main priority has never been xp-off brackets.

We have seen a shift to where are acknowledging some issues that are specific to low level pvp, and this is something we haven't seen in the past.

I disagree about class imbalance issues.

I remember playing low level pvp 5 years ago and even then some classes were always better.

I think there is always going to be an imperfect balance somewhere.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I agree with you Shebad, that WoW shouldn't be treated as one game with one purpose. I've still been enjoying myself soloing old dungeons and raids, pet battles, pvp, and gearing up all my alts without purchasing MoP.

Ok, now to get to what my post is about. Recently, one of the devs mentioned that the season 11 gear had to be delayed and will most likely make it's return in patch 5.2. After logging into the game and visiting the vendor in the Dalaran sewers, all of the Ruthless season 10 gear and weapons have returned. Only a few pieces of the season 11 Cataclysmic gear made it through such as the weapons, neck, ring, and trinket off-pieces. The cost of all the items have been reduced by half as well. It may not be completely what we wanted, but it's still better than what we had before. My holy spec has been in full ruthless with a couple cataclysmic pieces and MoP blues since 5.0 and has done rather well.

Also, if you really want the Cataclysmic gear, remember that it still drops from the Tol Barad raid.

Update: It seems that some classes' cata gear has returned, but for others like Paladins, Shamans, and Druids (hybrid classes) we have little to no season 11 gear. Warrior, Rogue, Death Knight, Mage, Hunter, Warlock, and most of the Priest cata set pieces have been confirmed to be back.
Edited by Factor on 11/27/2012 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Goblin Death Knight
This being added today made me very sad.. 90 players can now queue for Wintergrasp and Tol Barad via the PvP tab to battle one another in these epic conflicts.

Blizz really needs to stop thinking everything is about end-level. Though I have two level 90s, just like every other expansion. I enjoy twinking far more then I ever have with end-game (even back when I was a hardcore raider in a top US 20 guild). Many 85s still played TB, I don't get why Blizz had to do this. 8 million active (non-ft2) subscribers * $14.95 a month.. I think you can afford the programmers to create new zones rather then recycling classic zones taking away from the fun many of us have in it, for whatever reason.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Lailu
I will agree that Blizzard has made several mistakes over the years and that their main priority has never been xp-off brackets.

This is 100% true. They have explained their focus on game balance as being driven primarily by the progression of characters towards the end game. This means that unless they intentionally focus on something for low levels, anything we get is accidental. Blizzard never imagined there would be a segment of the player base who would intentionally want to halt the progression of their characters.

We have seen a shift to where are acknowledging some issues that are specific to low level pvp, and this is something we haven't seen in the past.

I don't think they are willing to acknowledge anything of great importance. They've mentioned adding scaling to low level BGs which would be a blanket fix that makes it so they don't have to put any effort into the things that are supposed to matter to us.

Put in the effort to update low level gear? Or make it so it all just scales? One is undoubtedly the easier and more cost effective fix, and the other is one that players would actually WANT.

Put in the effort to balance low level abilities and class disparity? Or just scale everyone up to the level of the person at the top of their bracket? Again, one is undoubtedly easier and more cost effective, while the other one is what players would actually WANT.

In the long run, I think Blizzard is both blind and ignorant to the issues we want fixed.

I remember playing low level pvp 5 years ago and even then some classes were always better.

This is because Blizzard has never ever aimed to make sure things are balanced, especially at low levels. There is no one at Blizzard HQ asking important questions like 'does it make sense to give Priests AoE fear @ level 14, but not to warriors or warlocks until level 45?' Or 'does it make sense to give classes magic CCs @ level 12, but not give anyone a dispel button until level 18?'

8 years of development has shown that Blizzard works to make changes for the sake of making changes, not for the sake of balancing things. It's job security at this point.

It would be amazing if they actually worked to address the actual problems with this game, rather than throwing out new content and half baked ideas in hopes that something sticks.

I think there is always going to be an imperfect balance somewhere.

I agree, simply because I have zero faith that Blizzard will ever get their act together.
Reply Quote
49 Draenei Shaman
While Blizzard may continue to deprioritize many issues in XP-off PvP, they have made specific fixes for XP-off brackets that would have otherwise severely hurt or even killed off such a niche activity. Designating XP-off brackets in the first place was a big move. Blizzard could have simply flipped the XP switch for all battlegrounds, and called it a day.

Regardless, XP-off players continue to impress me with their tenacity, even after all these years.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
While Blizzard may continue to deprioritize many issues in XP-off PvP, they have made specific fixes for XP-off brackets that would have otherwise severely hurt or even killed off such a niche activity. Designating XP-off brackets in the first place was a big move. Blizzard could have simply flipped the XP switch for all battlegrounds, and called it a day.

Regardless, XP-off players continue to impress me with their tenacity, even after all these years.

Blizzard might as well have just implemented XP gain with no XP off switch, for all the sour grapes we are eating these days.

I will say this though, low level pvp is STILL miles better than level 90 pvp.
Reply Quote
39 Undead Priest
The 39 bracket had a few scheduled games last night (Wed. night).

11/28/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Shebad
I played two games, and I think this 39 bracket has some potential.

11/28/2012 10:27 PMPosted by Jancith
I will remain 39 for awhile to see if this bracket can get off the ground and it looks like horde can use another priest on its side.

Posted by Rána
Most of the grandfathered items have obtainable replacements that are just as good. There's actually multiple viable options for most item slots now anyway

Thanks. Yes, I noticed that there is grandfathered gear in the 39 bracket too, but as you pointed out, there seems to be decent replacements for such gear (based on what I have seen so far).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]