servers up, no new pets?

90 Pandaren Monk

They're random, so they're not going to spawn on every realm at the same time. So yeah, working as intended.

With all the frustration that stemmed from the Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling spawns I'm surprised you guys chose to take a similar route with the brand new pets. A heads up so your customers didn't get too excited would have been nice.

No kidding, I was really excited. Now I just feel tired. At least the raid pets drop pretty decently.

EDIT:

Spawn rates don't seem to be too bad, I just got a Runt. Might just need to camp a bit more and rotate through the areas.
Edited by Nerkiepaw on 11/27/2012 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why do they have long timers? Isn't' the point to have more magic and other rarer pet types available earlier in the game?
Reply Quote
I have come to a conclusion: Blizzard want people to stop doing pet battles.

People complain about hard to find pets that only spawn at restarts, so they make it completely random so now you'll be lucky if you ever see one period.

Then introduce a bunch of new pets on the same timer.

Not to mention the whole fact I got 100 exp for killing a pet tamer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

Wait, what?? I haven't bothered to try leveling a pet yet since patch. They nerfed XP that hard??? If so I really wish we could have gotten a heads up so I could have leveled more pets before patch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Wait, what?? I haven't bothered to try leveling a pet yet since patch. They nerfed XP that hard??? If so I really wish we could have gotten a heads up so I could have leveled more pets before patch.

Basically an 80-90% experience nerf. Hell why don't they just release epic and legendary battle stones so we have something to hope for while grinding out levels. I'm hoping they overnerfed it and reverse it.

If someone could get 600 level 25s that wouldn't ruin my game. That's a minimum of what 600-1200 hours hardcore non-stop leveling pre-nerf. Now it's multiple times longer / worst than that.
Edited by Nightsbane on 11/27/2012 7:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It's quite possible the numbers were tweaked too hard, in which case they will be tweaked back. I hope? It's day 1 of 5.1, no need for pitchforks.

I like how you've added new pets, but from the alterations to experience I can say that (myself) will be doing little save collecting pets. Levelling a few pets to 25 is a thankless task that gives very little in the way of incentive (save PVP queues and a minor advantage for trainers/pet bags). Given that there are so many pets, the old experience system was fine and provided a bit more incentive. (a 10% nerf would have been understandable).

I agree with your nerf of the trainer grinding, seems logical (never used it, may have soon if it still existed).

From what people are saying, experience is too low. Imagine levelling characters to 90 and ONLY doing dungeons? Now slice those dungeons down content wise. Pet battles require more interesting features if you're to enforce an eyebleeding grind for each pet to 25 while removing all mechanisms to speed the process.
Edited by Crimsonmage on 11/27/2012 7:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
11/27/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Bashiok

Is "some" realms rather than all the realms working as intended? Which special realms are these so I can go make alts on them?

They're random, so they're not going to spawn on every realm at the same time. So yeah, working as intended.
So, after we complained that we did NOT like this system, you decided to impliment it for every new pet? ... WHY would you do that??
Reply Quote
73 Human Death Knight
11/27/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Bashiok
The new pets are on fairly long spawn timers, and are randomized (i.e. will not spawn on server restart). We've confirmed they have been spawning on some realms, so just keep an eye out!

WHY?! No seriously who green lit that decision? Do the devs hate us or something? Taking into account the Minifernal, scourged whelping etc why... you know what nevermind. I'm not dealing with this tonight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I feel as though Blizzards communication is not so good between whoever makes the pets and whoever places them.

It's quite understandable to make awesome super unique amazing pets rare spawn or tied to interesting mechanics.

However, taking pets stated to be fillers for families that lack them, and putting them on spawn timers of a long duration (when they're reskins especially) is pretty shoddy. I don't want to get every pet in a month, and likely wouldn't, but I also dont want a case of ONLY luck determining my capture of a reskin.

Minfernal spawn timer long, good. Reskin Protodrake respawn timer long, mediocre. Reskin raptor spawn timer long, bad.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
The new pets are on fairly long spawn timers, and are randomized (i.e. will not spawn on server restart). We've confirmed they have been spawning on some realms, so just keep an eye out!

Why though (long spawn timers, I mean)? There are a lot of people that just cannot live on their computers all day and all night- I have seen people actually doing this in regards to this.

Minfernal and scourgling whelps- for example- these things just do not spawn. Over the weekend, I saw the same gnome mage at the minfernal site every single time I checked that area (every couple of hours while I was awake). When I went back in the morning- he was still there.

I could have sworn one of your screen change things said to play in moderation.

Also, CRZ is making it extremely frustrating with some of these spawns. I landed in Coldara and there was literally one of the new dragonlings sitting right next to the camp. The very second I landed- it was gone (the server had switched into CRZ mode). Same happened with the scourgling pet. Why can these not be a random spawn with say a cockroach or a rat or something? In other words, zone wide?

I never had a reason to hate on CRZ before, but this is making it to where I see no point with it. This and the long spawn timers are causing more frustration for your customers than it's worth.
Edited by Jujubiju on 11/27/2012 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
11/27/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Bashiok

I was very excited about the new pets. Now, reading this, I honestly feel like a kicked puppy and am basically giving up on trying to collect them. Congratulations, you killed fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Got a infinite whelp before a battle for mt. hyjal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/27/2012 07:43 PMPosted by Crimsonmage
It's quite possible the numbers were tweaked too hard, in which case they will be tweaked back. I hope? It's day 1 of 5.1, no need for pitchforks.

It's just that they do this crap all the freakin' time! They need to fire all the hatchet people and hire folks who know how to wield scalpels.

Pet xp was fine and didn't need to be touched. They should have left well enough alone but if for some reason they're intent on not letting their customers have nice things then how hard is it to say "hey maybe we shouldn't nerf pet xp by 90%. Let's try 30 or 40%". I mean how do you get to be a billion dollar company with yahoos like that running the show?? I don't get it!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight

But why long timers when you know people are going to want them and be camping for them, and why all of the new pets?

Maybe a few, sure, but all of them? It makes no sense to make all of them like that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Want to comment about the xp changes?

Apparently they don't wish to comment on this. But a snarky response to an admittedly snarky response from a frustrated customer is a high priority.
Reply Quote
55 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't like the long respawn timers, but it's better than having them up at a server restart and then once a week or something after (if you're lucky). Many players are at work/school/etc on Tuesdays. I only got my scourged whelping after camping many hours on several alts and servers because Bliz decided to do a restart on a Saturday morning when I happened to be playing. Otherwise, I expected to never get one since I'm not home on Tuesdays.

I hate the XP nerf though. That aspect of this side game shouldn't be so time consuming, leveling pets won't be nearly as fun as it has been. I only have a handful of level 25s, at this rate it's going to be a long time before I even have one of each type. It looks like I need to level a new one for the Thundering Spirit too :/

We have more than enough long grinds in this game to keep us busy or mindlessly farming on our mains. Fun mini games shouldn't be that way. I don't think anyone wants this to become Archaeology 2.0.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Someone just implied pet battles as Archaeology 2.0.

Oh Blizzard, you done goofed XD.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Fun mini games shouldn't be that way. I don't think anyone wants this to become Archaeology 2.0.

There is hope, archeology is much improved one short expansion later!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I like how they fixed the problem of 'pets only being available at restarts' by not making them available at restarts. Great job blizz you hit the nail on the head with this one!
Reply Quote
Battle Pets was too fun as side game, better inject painful grinds that are hard on casuals.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]