Patch 5.1: Realm Event Time Changes

Community Manager
With Patch 5.1: Landfall we’ve reactivated the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza. To accomplish this we reevaluated the way time-based events work in World of Warcraft. The time zone designation for a realm doesn’t always correlate with its real-world location, and that designation has traditionally directed a player to choose a realm that shares their local time. With cross-realm features like zone coalescing (CRZ) and Raid/Dungeon Finder, linking event reset or lockout times to realm times has caused a lot of confusion, such as zones flipping between day and night upon zoning, and created substantial issues with limited-time events, such as Azeroth’s fishing tournaments.

North American Daily Event Times

In Patch 5.1 we’ve moved most time-based events on North American realms to standardized, region-wide times. Below are the updated event times for all North American realms, regardless of your realm’s local time (excluding Oceanic realms).

Times displayed in North American Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8 hours)

Sunrise
        5:30 a.m. PST*

Sunset
        6:30 p.m. PST*

Daily quests reset
        3:00 a.m. PST

Profession cooldowns and farm reset
        3:00 a.m. PST

Dungeon & raid lockouts reset
        Unchanged (times still shared between NA and Oceanic realms)

Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza begins
        2 p.m. PST every Sunday

Battleground holidays
        12:00 a.m. every Friday - 12:00 a.m. every Tuesday PST

Darkmoon Faire begins
        12:00 a.m. PST first Sunday of every month

Oceanic Daily Event Times

Note that, due to the extreme time zone difference, Oceanic realms have a separate standardized time, and Oceanic realms aren’t coalesced with non-Oceanic realms for cross-realm zones. Oceanic realms are, however, still a part of the North American matchmaking pool for Scenarios, Dungeon Finder, Raid Finder, Battlegrounds, and Arenas, in order to ensure that the matchmaking system is able to draw from a healthy population of players at any given hour. Because of this, raid/dungeon lockouts will continue to reset at the same time for North American and Oceanic realms (i.e. reset times will still vary depending on your local time).

Times displayed as Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT +10 hours)

Sunrise
        5:30 a.m. EST*

Sunset
        6:30 p.m. EST*

Daily quests reset
        3:00 a.m. EST

Dungeon & raid lockouts reset
        Unchanged (times still shared between NA and Oceanic realms)

Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza begins
        2 p.m. EST

Battleground holidays
        12:00 a.m. every Friday - 12:00 a.m. every Tuesday EST

Darkmoon Faire begins
        12:00 a.m. EST first Sunday of every month

*Day/night changeovers are not currently set to the times listed above and will be updated in a hotfix as soon as possible.
90 Human Paladin
Awesome!!!
100 Gnome Mage
Annnnd....the Kalu'ak?
100 Pandaren Priest
Couldn't the resets have been set at a compromise time in the central or mountain time zone instead of pacific? Daily resets at 6:00 am EST seam a lot weird. Should have left it on server time and just ditched the CRZ catastrophe. Would save you and us a bunch of grief.
100 Human Death Knight
This kind of seems a bit hard on the East Coast players also what's the point in having servers have their own time zones at this point?
100 Human Paladin
How does this affect time based battle pets? Like the Restless Shadelings that spawn at Midnight under Karazhan?
97 Night Elf Druid
While I appreciate that I won't have a sudden change in light when crossing into zones, it seems a little unfair that I have to wait until 6am to do certain things on my EST realms. It was nice being able to start the Faire early on my EST characters and get a few things done before bed. I'm rarely ever up until 6am.

It's not the end of the world or anything. It just doesn't make me that happy.
90 Night Elf Druid
Really? Daily reset at 6am? That's AWFUL. How could you drop the ball so badly this patch? I've loved this expansion, and now... this patch... sigh.
90 Undead Mage
I knew it wouldn't be long before the east coasters came in complaining. For once, something isn't centered around the east coast.

"It's just 3 hours"... isn't that what you have been telling us west coasters for years?

You will be fine :)
31 Night Elf Rogue
Might as well just set all the servers to PST if you're going to do this. Otherwise, it's still confusing. If all events in wow take place on PST's schedule, there's no reason to have the "server time" at all.

I can't use the "server time" anyhow, because it changes around with every zone. When I use my time instead, it's not perfectly in sync with server time, and my calculated "midnight" doesn't line up with the server's.

I'd say set all servers to CST, but not daylight savings. This way it'd shift between Central and Mountain times throughout the year, I think. Or, just declare WoW time to be GMT-6.5 hours and set all the servers to that.

Whatever you do, it's strange to have events tied to PST and not have our servers match that time.
100 Draenei Hunter
So now not only does the East coast have the latest time on Tuesdays to log on after maintenance but lose the ability to get crafting and farming done before leaving for Work/school!

11/27/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Giga
"It's just 3 hours"... isn't that what you have been telling us west coasters for years?

Wait you're whining because you get everything 3 hours earlier???
90 Worgen Mage

For Oceanic the Farm reset was never the same as the Dungeon reset time (3:00am) but was at exactly Midnight PST. Does this mean these things were pushed back several hours? I only ask because it appears to be the only time that is changed, and it just seemed odd so making sure this was not a communication error.
100 Human Death Knight
Yeah I don't understand why you couldn't make it so that it was tied to Central or just at least leave the time of day alone. Central TIme zone would have been more than a fair comprise and like Subterfuge said just leave off the daylight saving time. Also I don't understand the need to tie professions and the farm to this either especially since Pandaria isn't CRZ yet...
100 Pandaren Monk
11/27/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Eadoin
Really? Daily reset at 6am? That's AWFUL. How could you drop the ball so badly this patch? I've loved this expansion, and now... this patch... sigh.

3am was good, but 6am is evil? I'm on the east coast and the three hours don't matter!

Edit:

So now not only does the East coast have the latest time on Tuesdays to log on after maintenance but lose the ability to get crafting and farming done before leaving for Work/school!

So do your dailies for the previous day before work now? You can still play at 5am if you want, you're just working on the prior day's events instead of the fresh ones...
Edited by Rabbsm on 11/27/2012 8:50 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]