Patch 5.1: Realm Event Time Changes

90 Human Death Knight
For those folks whose play schedules are adversely affected by this, and who are blaming realm coalescing, let me clarify. It was only a matter of time (get it? ... humph) before we moved to this reset system. The problem with the fishing tournaments and CRZ was just a more blunt reminder that having non-standardized reset times is confusing in a game where realm transfers and cross-realm features are a reality.

We've used a similar system for European realms for quite some time and it's cleaner.

The new system will be better for some people, and worse for others, in terms of life schedules. But people have always had different play schedules that we can't always account for, and there are unavoidable inconveniences in that regard. The new system will just take some adjustment.

I'm on a realm where my dailies have been resetting at 1 a.m. my local time, which I've used to my advantage to do back-to-back dailies many nights before bed. I won't be able to do that anymore. But I don't think that's somehow unfair to me. It's logical, to me, for an online, very "real-time" game on the scale of World of Warcraft to have standardized times for time-based content, similar to a basketball game being broadcast live from the west coast.

Time features aren't confusing.

The confusion comes from your bizarre stance on CRZ.

Players don't like CRZ, we've had 100's of threads with thousands of players who hate the way CRZ works. Who want it to be like MOP CRZ where it's invite only and non-intrusive.

If you would just listen to the player base, there would have been no abuse of the fishing tournament, there's be no skybox issues, there'd be no problems at all.

Instead you change the way daily resets work to FORCE your CRZ to work.

That is why this change is terrible. Instead of making the smart fix. you make the fix that effects the most amount of players in a negative way.

Simply put, This change is bizarre, the reasoning is flawed and the community is worse off because of it.
Edited by Cervarius on 11/27/2012 10:55 PM PST
90 Troll Druid
Blue posts really need to quit trying to be funny when people are already ticked off. The time (get it...?) has come for you to realize that you guys are making mistakes. The hole just gets deeper and deeper with screwing with player time commitments and it is getting ridiculous. I would think that Blizzard would pride itself more on being a wide-reaching company with respect to the players that are all across different time zones and would do more to accommodate that... not less.
90 Night Elf Hunter
You just decided for me the fate of my subscription. Depending on my hours after Christmas, does anyone want my stuff? :(
Blizzard Employee
11/27/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Negåtive
Why not just CRZ realms with the same time zones together...

Not to patronize you here, but the infrastructure behind World of Warcraft is incredibly complex. As stated in the original post, just because you're on, say, a realm labeled with an east coast time doesn't mean you're connecting to a server cluster or database on the east coast. Look at the Battlegroups. There are no time zone correlations between the realms within each.
90 Tauren Death Knight
11/27/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Cervarius
Players don't like CRZ, we've had 100's of threads with thousands of players who hate the way CRZ works. Who want it to be like MOP CRZ where it's invite only and non-intrusive.

Might not be able to say that for long, Blizzard said they planned for Pandaria to not be a part of forced CRZ for only a few months, and then it would be integrated after the expansion has been out for a while.
90 Goblin Shaman
Why in the world the change to prof resets? Midnight was wonderful... I remembered to do my prof things before bed. Now I would have to wait until 6am, or the following day.. idk seems stupid to change something because someone at Blizz has OCD.
90 Human Death Knight
I seriously get the feeling from this expansion that blizzard just doesn't want to listen to the player base at all.

All of these "it's not broke, but we're going to fix it and break it" changes. with no real justification.

it's tiresome, frustrating and it feels like blizzard doesn't take the players seriously anymore.

I dunno.
80 Worgen Druid
11/27/2012 10:51 PMPosted by Tajit
I'm wondering why you didn't just change all servers to Pacific time. If that's what everything's based on now.. what's the point to having differing server times?

Yet another major change to the game to accommodate a "feature" that few people actually asked for. I can't imagine you guys are looking forward to spending the near future continuing to plug leaks on this ridiculous system.

Here's an idea: Use the tech you spent so much time on to continue to support friends visiting other friends servers to quest and level, since that seems to be the only part of the feature that people actually enjoy. The caveat should be that if you're not on your original server, you can't participate in any world events or tournaments. I know that's not how the tech works now (in that there's no real origin or destination server) but these forced server mergers are becoming too much of a headache to be worthwhile.

QFT
90 Blood Elf Priest
Wouldn't a better solution be to only link EST with EST, CST with CST, etc... That way 3/4 of the country wouldn't need to change.

Sorry but a bad idea is bad no matter what time zone you're in.
90 Undead Mage
11/27/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Linii
Wait you're whining because you get everything 3 hours earlier???

I wasn't complaining... this works out well for me. Dailies used to reset at 12:00am PST for me (I'm on an EST server), now they will reset at 3:00am. That's great.

My point was that the east coast usually gets everything first - that's just most things work. Look at everyone complaining now because the west coast gets something in our favor for once. Oh the horror!

Dailies don't reset until 6:00am EST? Big deal, find a way to make it work for your schedule.

I get that a lot of people have a huge problem with CRZ but it's still new and we're all getting used to it. Give it time. A more populated world is better than an empty world... this is a MMORPG after all - we are supposed to see and play with other people, not fly around an empty world.
Edited by Giga on 11/27/2012 11:04 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/27/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Zarhym
Not to patronize you here, but the infrastructure behind World of Warcraft is incredibly complex. As stated in the original post, just because you're on, say, a realm labeled with an east coast time doesn't mean you're connecting to a server cluster or database on the east coast. Look at the Battlegroups. There are no time zone correlations between the realms within each.

Who cares the solution you've come up with makes 3/4 of the country change.

Maybe link the NY servers on East coast time, The Chicago servers on Central time, etc...

There are so many more options then making 3/4 of the country use a different time zone.
Edited by Blackgoddess on 11/27/2012 11:07 PM PST
90 Human Warrior
The only thing this change actually affects(aside from the day/night cycle in zones) is back-to-back dailies and cooldowns. I can understand that people who have had it good(myself included) with that nifty feature will be upset that it might now be as accessible anymore. But understand that it was never intended, nor was anything ever designed around doing 2 sets of dailies right after each other. It is nothing more than a convenience, and one that not everyone has had access to over the years. All that is happening is the deck getting shuffled, in regards to which timezones will have this convenience. Sure, I'll miss it too, but it really is only a very minor perk, and one that many people have taken for granted over time. If you truly feel like you'll miss entire sets of dailies because of this change, there are probably other things that are impacting you more than this.
90 Draenei Monk
11/27/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Blackgoddess
Who cares the solution you've come up with makes 3/4 of the country change.

This is the only game that's done the server time system the way it is that I've played. Most games do not use a real time clock.

As for the rest of the thread, I can't stop laughing simply because "Omg CRZ is fiiiine shut up already!!!!" and then this happens, because of CRZ, and now it's all "Omg it affects me now!!! get rid of ittttt!!!!! Nao!!!"

Hypocrites.
100 Night Elf Hunter
I still don't understand why realm time exists instead of just having all servers on the same time with this change, other than to maintain the realm specific dungeon and raid reset time. Which, with the already drastic time event overhauls, why bother?
90 Draenei Death Knight
11/27/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Zarhym
For those folks whose play schedules are adversely affected by this, and who are blaming realm coalescing, let me clarify. It was only a matter of time (get it? ... humph) before we moved to this reset system.

System yes, time zone choice no. You could have made it EST and those behind EST are at even more reasonable times. But no, it and everything else have to be at the last hour of the continental US so those to the east are left out.

Bad choice after bad choice after bad choice bliz. This expansion is forever going to be known for me and my guildmates as the expansion of loss. Its a shame too, because there is good content in MoP. I am all for a 'standardized system' but your choice of PST is awful, has been awful, and will always be awful.

In a few years when I look back at MoP with other players, we won't remember epic raid battles, we'll remember losing HGWT, Quick and the Dead, Cauldrons, and having our realm shifted to PST time.
90 Human Death Knight
why not midnight pst? that's a fair time.
90 Pandaren Monk
What about the Northrend fishing tournament? When is that?
90 Undead Mage
As for the rest of the thread, I can't stop laughing simply because "Omg CRZ is fiiiine shut up already!!!!" and then this happens, because of CRZ, and now it's all "Omg it affects me now!!! get rid of ittttt!!!!! Nao!!!"

Hypocrites.

Funny isn't it?

Everyone wants everything their way, but this game isn't about any one person. Blizzard can never please everyone and things have to reset at some time during the day. Someone is always going to be upset about whenever that happens.

This change is not a big deal. Just play around it and move on. You can still do the same number of dailies, raids, etc that you could do before.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Why not just CRZ realms with the same time zones together...

Saying not to patronize does not excuse actually being patronizing. Just like saying with all due respect and then being totally disrespectful is still being disrespectful.

I think this is a bad change.
Edited by Saraphina on 11/27/2012 11:23 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]