Patch 5.1: Realm Event Time Changes

90 Human Rogue
I.... Don't understand the thought process of this community.
90 Draenei Monk
11/27/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Shalhoub
What about the Northrend fishing tournament? When is that?

Not coming back at all.

11/27/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Giga
Funny isn't it?

It is. I'm a bit annoyed that I can't do my prof resets at midnight but eh, it gives me a reason to maybe log out a bit earlier. Always stayed up to do that most nights.

11/27/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Alera
And that makes it okay for you to force people that live on the East Coast and play on Eastern Standard Time servers to shift their play schedules three hours to Pacific Standard Time...how? Who cares of the datacenter is in California or if it's in New York. The fact that timed events are all now shifted to PST time regardless of what time you physically live in is....silly.

Silly, because it wasn't this way at the start. Only.

No other game that has a static day/night schedule has varying time zones like this one did. They all either followed EQ style time where 72 minutes = 1 in game day, or this type of time schedule on pacific time(Rift does this).

The fact that this wasn't changed a few years ago astounds me.
90 Gnome Priest
I know this may seem a silly complaint, but i play later in the day as i like the zones at "night" but being on the east coast i'll be having 3 more hours of daylight on my server now?

(sorry, the whole time conversion business has always left me with a headache, and this just sends me reaching for the advil)
90 Draenei Paladin
Just a heads up, the Sha Crystal cd seems to be at 12am PST/3am EST this is the only profession I've noticed that doesn't have the same cd timer as the rest.
Sunrise
5:30 a.m. EST*

Sunset
6:30 p.m. EST*

You know whats weird?

The sun and moon both rise and set on the same side on, meaning Azeroth rotates 180degrees one way then stops and rotates back the other way 180 degrees. Then you throw its second moon the blue child doing the same thing and azeroth starts making impossible rotations.

Perhaps Azeroth is flat, and it rocks back and forth like a seesaw (teeter-totter).
90 Dwarf Hunter
Why oh why, Blizzard, didn't you tell us about this during the PTR, instead of waiting until 5.1 went live? You say you value our feedback, then you DUMP something like this on us.

As a long-time WoW player, I'm insulted. As a software developer, who knows better than to roll out a change like this without fair warning, I'm appalled.

Let me add that I play on two Pacific time servers, and live in the Pacific time zone, so this doesn't affect me directly at all. It's just the OMG WTF (BBQ) -ness of it all.
Edited by Brunstal on 11/27/2012 11:26 PM PST
60 Troll Hunter
This is gonna be a fiasco. Yet again Blizzard has fumbled the ball & is gonna let "other" gaming companies capitalize on this failure.

You're the same guy that said Rift, SWTOR, GW2, LOTRO, etc. were going to kill wow aren't you?

Also quotes I don't think that's how you should use them.
Edited by Jilixx on 11/27/2012 11:43 PM PST
70 Gnome Priest
11/27/2012 11:12 PMPosted by Reshaari
The fact that this wasn't changed a few years ago astounds me.

I kinda have to agree with this. Almost all their updates and maintenance are PST. To me the server time more a point of reference to coordinate guild events. So many people on my Pacific realm are on east coast anyway, so guild runs still had to take into account different time zones.
100 Night Elf Druid
Why oh why, Blizzard, didn't you tell us about this during the PTR, instead of waiting until 5.1 went live? You say you value our feedback, then you DUMP something like this on us.

As a long-time WoW player, I'm insulted. As a software developer, who knows better than to roll out a change like this without fair warning, I'm appalled.

Let me add that I play on two Pacific time servers, and live in the Pacific time zone, so this doesn't affect me directly at all. It's just the OMG WTF (BBQ) -ness of it all.

So, it doesn't affect you, and yet you're insulted?
What would you expect people who were "warned" to do? I don't get it.

People just seem to be looking for controversy.
70 Gnome Priest

So, it doesn't affect you, and yet you're insulted?
What would you expect people who were "warned" to do? I don't get it.

People just seem to be looking for controversy.

I was almost going to say something about that post but decided not too.

Also, Blizzard did mention that they were looking into standardizing the time zones a little while ago.
90 Draenei Monk
11/27/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Febreeze
I really can't name one company that has had the luck to surpass or even match Blizzard in the MMORPG community.

Therein lies the problem.

Ever heard the phrase "too big to fail"? It was used for American banks during the financial crisis.

Blizzard thinks they're too big to fail. Too big to fall. They need some serious competition going on there to eat away at their profits so they have to do something to retain.

No real competition over the past 6 years or so is what's killing it. And Rift? Tera? All those other games? They're trying to COPY WoW. That's why they're not as successful. WoW players don't want a clone. They want something *new*.
90 Human Warrior
I claim I'm in the Software/Hardware/Networking/Gaming/Developing industry, my opinion is now worth more than everyone elses, maybe should be considered fact.

Bow down to my will!

To be honest, anyone who complains about CRZ or the new standardized timezones/daily resets is just complaining for the sake of complaining about something Blizzard is doing.

CRZ was added to populate dead zones on dead servers. This game was NOT built around 1 person per zone doing quests/picking herbs. Deal with it.

Standardized timezones/daily resets was added to FIX the issue with CRZ and different timezones.

People are getting mad because they wont be able to do their profession CD at 12:00AM anymore? Why? Do it the next time you log on?

I can SOMEWHAT understand dailies. If you are on the East Coast you have to wait until 6AM before doing another set of dailies if you were one of those people, like Zarhym, that did back to back dailies. But will this truly ruin your day because you won't be able to do that anymore? No I doubt it. You will still be able to do your dailies at your regular time as before but you just won't do back to back dailies like you used to.

And question, how does making 72 mins = 1 in-game day EQ style fix anything? What will this accomplish? There will ALWAYS be set times things will reset. If things reset EQ style in EQ It would be even worse since now you must calculate EQ time into RL time and figure out when things are actually resetting and doing multiple resets per RL day and getting your dailies/professions CD done every 72 mins. So again, I see how changing it to EQ style will fix or even DO anything at all besides just pissing everyone off because it's turning night/day every hour.
90 Gnome Mage
I can't understand the issue people are complaining about.

If you used to do something at X every day, then you continue to do it at X every day.

The fact that X might now be 3 hours before the reset rather than 3 hours before (or what ever) seems irrelevant to me.

Maybe it is because I am from Australia and play on a US (non-Oceanic) realm, that I'm used to starting raiding at 3AM/2AM/1AM (i.e. 8pm my time) and having my farm sprout at 5pm and the dailies reset at 9pm already.

Point is - just keep on doing your stuff at about the same time each day, and nothing will change.

Now - for events like fishing, that had to standardise even without CRZ because of cross realm groups. There was no way around that.
90 Human Hunter
This is really inconvenient.

Instead of resetting at the start of a new day, my professions reset at six AM.
Instead of resetting at the start of a new day, my crops bloom at six AM.
Instead of resetting at 3AM, my dailies reset at 6AM.

I like doing things early in the morning to get away from people, but this is really starting to get inconvenient. And just when I was starting to get willing to do dailies again with the changes with rep. :/
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 12:21 AMPosted by Emmaryin
I like doing things early in the morning to get away from people

WoW is a MMORPG. MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Note the "multiplayer" part. The game is designed around multiple players, not single players.

Edit: Anyway, the reset time changes nothing. You can still do all of your dailies and professions at the EXACT same time you did before. You will just be doing it for a different reset period.

Nothing changes with the amount of times you can do things.
Edited by Giga on 11/28/2012 12:31 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]