Patch 5.1: Realm Event Time Changes

100 Blood Elf Hunter
Why is it always Pacific time? You know that screws with people living on the East Coast, right?

Why not make CRZ +/- 0 hours from home server? No one gets screwed then, since, you know, thats where they decide to play?
90 Draenei Monk
11/28/2012 01:35 AMPosted by Xoss
Can we assume the Kalu'ak Fishing Derby will be at 2pm PST as well?

The kaluak derby has been permanently removed and the rewards from it moved to STV.

11/28/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Kurasii
Why though? Why would Blizzard HQ make the default time zone different than their own in California? lol. "Hey lets make the timezone east coast just to mess with their heads!"

Also this.
100 Human Warlock
Why do we even have servers with different time zones if I have to do math to figure out when events are going to happen. Just make all servers PST, you save more money by retarding server times and we lose a headache as changes like these no longer matter for non PST servers. It would at least eliminate the need for a time sheet for events.

TLDR: Make all servers PST and get it over with already.

Actually my vote is now for "Central Azeroth Time", so nobody has to get upset about it not being their own local time zone.
90 Draenei Monk
Why is it always Pacific time? You know that screws with people living on the East Coast, right?

Why not make CRZ +/- 0 hours from home server? No one gets screwed then, since, you know, thats where they decide to play?

To be fair, putting it on EST screws over the West Coast as well.

Nothing like getting that phone call at 4 am to get up and kill this raid boss because the EU and Asians are assembling and we want a shot to kill it. It goes EST, it screws with people making it earlier for the PST people.

Dailies, dungeon reset timers, profession timers, etc were all set to take place at night for a reason. Same reason they pick their maintenance times. Less people online.... because it's night. People should be asleep. Normally anyways.

And they're doing PST because well, they're in CA. Most games with a universal time are on PST. This isn't new.
90 Human Paladin
Everyone seems to be saying that things are based on PST now. But they aren't. They are PST+3. Why would they be PST+3. I'm on a PST server and now things are bumped to 3AM server time instead of midnight. Why aren't they on PST?
90 Troll Druid
Just exactly how many other servers are you going to compete with for the tournaments?

I'm not really looking to complete my Salty achievement... but it's ridiculous enough competing with the entire realm... Having to compete in the fishing tournament against 10-12 or more realms worth of people seems ridiculous to say the least.
100 Draenei Death Knight
I don't understand why people are having an issue with the profession and daily times part of this post.

People want to stay up late to do the quests at reset? Do you same people not realize that you can still do them at that time, if you really feel like staying up late. Daily means daily, just because you do them at the reset doesn't mean you are doing an extra set of them. It doesn't matter what time you do them as long as you do it 'daily'.

East coasters that are QQ-ing, think of it this way- Blizzard just made life easier for you all, now you can go to bed at a reasonable time, sleep in that extra 30 minutes before school/work. Just do them during the time you would probably be sitting in SW/Org jumping around the AH.
For those folks whose play schedules are adversely affected by this, and who are blaming realm coalescing, let me clarify. It was only a matter of time (get it? ... humph) before we moved to this reset system. The problem with the fishing tournaments and CRZ was just a more blunt reminder that having non-standardized reset times is confusing in a game where realm transfers and cross-realm features are a reality.

We've used a similar system for European realms for quite some time and it's cleaner.

The new system will be better for some people, and worse for others, in terms of life schedules. But people have always had different play schedules that we can't always account for, and there are unavoidable inconveniences in that regard. The new system will just take some adjustment.

I'm on a realm where my dailies have been resetting at 1 a.m. my local time, which I've used to my advantage to do back-to-back dailies many nights before bed. I won't be able to do that anymore. But I don't think that's somehow unfair to me. It's logical, to me, for an online, very "real-time" game on the scale of World of Warcraft to have standardized times for time-based content, similar to a basketball game being broadcast live from the west coast.

Okay Zarhym, I'm REALLY trying to understand how this does anything but make some things more convenient for you guys at HQ at the obvious expense of hundreds of thousands(or millions) of players.

The reset system now isn't confusing. Maybe if you're a brand new player who's playing on 2+ servers which are all in different time zones it could be confusing, but that's about it. I mean, I guess someone who transferred servers may be thrown off but they had to expect it if they were paying money for this service, it's not something you do on a whim and later say "Oh geeze, this decision is effecting my dailies!". I don't get where CRZ comes in for MoP dailies resetting and the population of people doing non-MoP ones is so small you'd be crazy to make this change for them. So now if anyone chose a realm because the realm time better fit their schedule you have thrown that out the window in favor of the five people that care about the Sunday fishing contest?

Unless you mean it's easier for you guys at Blizzard I fail to see how this system being used in Europe is evidence it will work well here when I'm guessing the majority of EU players are all in GMT +1 as opposed to the majority of NA players being in -5, -6 or -8. It makes most sense that you would use the GMT+1 for EU and it happens to be a central timezone there instead of the 3 hour difference one you're forcing on us here.

The new system is a violent three hour change for people who have been in sync with your schedule for years, or at the very least used to it and well aware of it. The inconveniences are actually completely avoidable by not making this (in my opinion awful) change.

I do think the option to be able to do back-to-back dailies for one coast is unfair when the other one doesn't have it. If they are all at the same time(3am reset, 12am cd) then everyone has equal opportunity to take advantage or not. You're drastically changing the time dynamic for what must be millions of players and pretending the impact is laughably small. Additionally your account from a player's perspective isn't exactly the most worthwhile considering your station.

Lastly I guess I don't know what you mean by "real-time". It makes sense that people would want the same opportunity to see the results of a professional basketball game, I can agree on that. It doesn't make sense for people to desperately want to be in sync with players not on their server doing dailies. Does it negatively impact PST players that I do my dailies 3 hours ahead of them? Does this change to force my earliest allowed time to do them to be in sync with players I'll never see or interact with enrich their lives? If you want them to reset 9pm and leave me my 3am time slot I'm fine with it, I don't care if they are able to complete quests a few hours before me. I do care that my allowed times to do dailies are getting shafted for no good reason.

If the "real-time" thing is more about dungeon resets so everyone can progress at the same time I think that's more understandable but you don't need to change the reset timer on everything in the entire game, just the dungeons.

Overall I can understand how it would have been logical from the start to have the times be standardized, but doing it 8 years later is just senseless, annoying and incredibly inconvenient for a large amount of players.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
...this change here is convincing me to turn to the side of the CRZ haters.

and i actually liked the feature at first too. :(
100 Blood Elf Hunter

Nothing like getting that phone call at 4 am to get up and kill this raid boss because the EU and Asians are assembling and we want a shot to kill it. It goes EST, it screws with people making it earlier for the PST people.

Dailies, dungeon reset timers, profession timers, etc were all set to take place at night for a reason. Same reason they pick their maintenance times. Less people online.... because it's night. People should be asleep. Normally anyways.

And they're doing PST because well, they're in CA. Most games with a universal time are on PST. This isn't new.

I can understand, but its screwy to a lot of people. I had raiders miss raid times because they live in Cali and forgot we raid on server time. Now I need to think of all timed events as in Pacific time? Hell, gonna have to reset one of my clocks to PST just to remind myself (Which will suck, as I have a JPN time, and a Beijing time clock for work).

As far as maintenance, thats been screwy for EST players for a long time. I have had us EST players lose whole days due to maintenance (for those that work / school)... while PST players have the time to play. Have we ever been compensated? A few times. Is it still suckage? You bet!

I agree with the one poster: divide the US in half. EST + CST = ? and PST + MTN = ? and leave it alone. Its like the time changing in game... would be easier to just combine like time servers imho.... or better yet, do away with the whole thing.

I logged in, and sure as I am awake at this god awful hour, my server time is CST. I would like to remember everything as far as CST, because then I can just -1 hr to everything, like normal. Like has been happening for the 6 or so yrs I have been playing x.x

EDIT: Changed +1 to -1
Edited by Kwanyi on 11/28/2012 2:35 AM PST
100 Troll Mage
I still see this not helping with CRZ fishing weekly..........

you now head out at the pacific time ... and by the time you arrive at STV you are in a realm an hour later.... or earlier...

so the problem still should remain.

Yes, putting it on EST screws over west coast just like east coast is currently being screwed over. Dailies resetting at midnight for West coast isn't as impactful as them resetting at 6am for EST though as it effectively destroys the option to stack them or get some things in before sleeping.

No one gets a phone call at 4am for raid unless they are actively trying to be on the forefront of progression and their schedules are always going to be more difficult because of that decision. Besides, dungeon resets and daily/cd resets don't need to be linked.

Also, this is new. I've been playing WoW for a long time and besides maintenance(which i feel is even less impactful for EST) I've never been subjected to PST time. This is incredibly new that they are making this change 8 years into a game, or I guess 6 years into dailies existing. I don't want PST subjected to EST time either, but its objectively interferes less with the average schedule if it were EST based instead of PST. 6am is a garbage reset time, midnight would not be.
85 Human Death Knight
Wow, proof positive players will complain about anything.
90 Pandaren Monk
SO that means now I have to wait till 5am to do my dailies and having more A$$ players Ninjaing the Fatty Goat steaks (among-st MANY other Daily based issues). There was a reason I'd stay up till 3/4am to do my dailies.
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
You had the chance for constructive input, But most choose to just scream that they needed to remove CRZ's.

1) As a comunity You choose to just complain instead of offering constructive feed back.

2) As a comunity you were told they were not going to remove CRZ but you choose to scream about they needed to remove them instead of offer help in making them better,

3) As a comunity You did not help in any way to improve the game you just made 100's of unconstructive threads..

4) as a comunity you now need to eat your poo sandwich and smile.

5) Most of you now wish you had kept your mouths shut.
90 Draenei Monk
11/28/2012 02:21 AMPosted by Kwanyi
I can understand, but its screwy to a lot of people. I had raiders miss raid times because they live in Cali and forgot we raid on server time. Now I need to think of all timed events as in Pacific time? Hell, gonna have to reset one of my clocks to PST just to remind myself (Which will suck, as I have a JPN time, and a Beijing time clock for work).

Your server time *should* be PST now. If I read them right. I don't keep clocks for other time zones.. I just do the math. Like right now it's quarter to 3 am here, it's quarter to 6 in New York.

11/28/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Drominar
Yes, putting it on EST screws over west coast just like east coast is currently being screwed over. Dailies resetting at midnight for West coast isn't as impactful as them resetting at 6am for EST though as it effectively destroys the option to stack them or get some things in before sleeping.

Why they moved the time to 3 pm PST I'll never know but you guys honestly should freaking be in bed. That's why they set the resets and maint at night in the first place ><

11/28/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Drominar
No one gets a phone call at 4am for raid unless they are actively trying to be on the forefront of progression and their schedules are always going to be more difficult because of that decision

You haven't been playing MMORPGs very long, have you?

4 am phone calls were quite common 10 years ago. When everything was world bosses only. ;)
100 Troll Monk
I'm trying to find some sort of insight into why people are claiming that everything resetting at a single time regardless is game breaking and rage quit worthy...but I just can't.

I work nights, and regularly did two sets of dailies on my nights off. I live in Central and play on an Eastern Server. So this directly effects me as the reset is now at 5 AM for me instead of 2 AM. This won't effect anything else, not even a raiding guild's raiding schedules since they set that themselves...unless they were for some reason raiding around reset time.

I don't see why people are freaking out about this. It's honestly mystifying to me right now.
100 Goblin Hunter
I also like the semi alone time from crowds of people. I have character's on Stormrage.I checked Realm pop a few weeks ago and it was listed at around 35,000 people. Granted not all are on at the same time,with the most populous time being between 4 pm to 11 pm. The worst is right after school and for some right after work. Ever tried to do dailies between those hours when everyone else is trying to because they have a limited time to play? Chaos. Ever tried to do dailies when you can't even get a single target because someone is pulling them all to get his/her's done? Ever tried to do dailies and you get a smarta@@ player who will drop down beside you aggro everything then vanish or run off and leave you to finish his kills? He gets the credit but you don't. Oh and no you dont have a choice,the mobs don't care who started the fight they just want to break someones bones and do not care whose those might be.So yea I at times (getting a bit more frequent as of late ) like my time alone. I like the knowledge that there's people around but there are times when enough is enough.

I whole hearted agree with this.

Having the daily reset at 3am EST was a huge blessing.
Reasons:
-it allowed me to get my dailies done in NON_PEAK HOURS
-able to avoid the majority of the immature players who LOVE to mount park on NPCs, drop mobs on my pet while I am fighting rare spawns (like Kar in Dread Wsates) which ends in me dieing at times and other infantile acts
-senseless general chat spamming/chatter
-just plain easier to get stuff done in a much more enjoyable fashion

Yes, WoW is a MMORPG, but Peak Hours on my server (and maybe others) is not a fun experience. Even during the twilight hours, my server is still highly populated, but its with a more manageable crowd. Now with the reset at 6am EST, having this nice quiet time before the crazyness is gone. It will also push players who got their dailies done early to have to play at peak hours, increasing the competition to complete for the daily mobs.

Things that are not broken get 'fixed' and end up broken. Things that are broken, just stay broken. IMO, this is how I feel Blizzard has approached their game since the fiasco that was 5.0.4. I pray I am wrong, but I doubt it.
90 Draenei Monk
11/28/2012 02:43 AMPosted by Northernlite
You had the chance for constructive input, But most choose to just scream that they needed to remove CRZ's

You must have missed the constructive feedback that was given in most of those threads, copied and pasted into every thread that was made afterwards?

Oh wait, you weren't in those threads. That explains it.

2) As a comunity you were told they were not going to remove CRZ but you choose to scream about they needed to remove them instead of offer help in making them better,

Leave me out of it. I could care less about CRZ. I *do* care about the Greater Internet <this space for rent> Theory and what happens when you shove 20 realms into one zone, where no one cares how badly they treat others because "they're not from my server who cares?" and that they won't be banned, ever.

5) Most of you now wish you had kept your mouths shut.

Actually, no, we don't. This time zone thing was actually suggested by quite a few people. Myself included. I knew there were people that didn't like it.

I'm just laughing at the people that LOVED CRZ till they pulled this one and now since it affects them in Pandaria by messing with their dailies, they HATE it.
90 Gnome Mage
11/28/2012 02:48 AMPosted by Yodathehulk
-it allowed me to get my dailies done in NON_PEAK HOURS

Silly question - but what is stopping you doing the dailies at EXACTLY the same time you always did?

I do my dailies at 7pm every day (my time) - if the dailies reset at 3am, 12am, 4:52pm or what ever ... I still do my dailies every day at 7pm.

You might have to do them half an hour later, if you used to do them 5 minutes before the new time... but apart from that NOTHING changes.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]