[PvE] Best spec for first 3 HoF bosses?

90 Undead Mage
My mage sometimes gets brought in for HoF after our MSV.

What spec (including Arcane, as I hear the jury is still out on that) performs the best for the first 3 encounters in HoF?

Seperate question due to the AoE factor - What spec for 4th boss, Wind Lord?

If gear level makes any difference, last I checked I was around 473.

Thanks for taking the time,
Mev
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Just fire. Fire for everything and anything. Wind Lord Fire still. Especially with combustion buff, big big numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Frost can hold it's own I think on the first two bosses, assuming average RNG from Fire. After that, the gap starts to widen, not sure about the 5h boss though (I haven't killed it yet other than LFR).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/28/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Ragnaros
Just fire. Fire for everything and anything. Wind Lord Fire still. Especially with combustion buff, big big numbers.

This attitude is likely to change during this raid lockout, as the new Arcane numbers start coming in.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Naishee

This attitude is likely to change during this raid lockout, as the new Arcane numbers start coming in.

That's kind the vibe I'm getting, hence why I asked.

I also feel like Frost would potentially improve my dps right now.
I really just wanna put a frost orb into that AoE on Wind Lord.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Naishee

Excuse my ignorance, never play Arcane due to my burning hatred of it (no pun intended), but isn't Arcane severely limited by movement? So even with the 3% boost, it isn't extremely viable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Ragnaros
Excuse my ignorance, never play Arcane due to my burning hatred of it (no pun intended), but isn't Arcane severely limited by movement? So even with the 3% boost, it isn't extremely viable.

I don't either, but from what I hear the more significant part of the buff is a substantial mana cost reduction that allows much more time at high mana = more damage modifier from mastery for longer.
Edited by Schmerlin on 11/28/2012 11:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Just wanted to add, what spec and more specifically what Talents and Mage Bomb would you guys take for progression on 4th boss in HoF (Wind Lord).

I've personally found that I can perform alright as Fire with;
Scorch
Temporal Shield (Saves healers so much)
Cauterize
Living Bomb*
Invocation

What I'm not sure is the last two.

Would Frost Bomb be better?
Considering it may lead to a better combustion (30% modifier), would it be worth getting Incanter's Ward?
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Invocation on all of the ones you're asking for except Garalon (IW for that).

You can use LB on all of the fights, but it's probably min/maxing to use NT on the first two as it's slightly higher single target.

Shield is not that important although I'm not sure how Temporal does on the tornado phase on the 2nd boss in HoF vs Ice Barrier now that Barrier has been nerfed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

You can use LB on all of the fights, but it's probably min/maxing to use NT on the first two as it's slightly higher single target.

Shield is not that important although I'm not sure how Temporal does on the tornado phase on the 2nd boss in HoF vs Ice Barrier now that Barrier has been nerfed.

Tornado phase without ice barrier is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/29/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Noomage

Now that I think about it... that's the really obvious choice. Thanks.

And you'd run fire on all the fights too? Let's say Bosses 1-4
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Mage
Frost is fine for the first two, I spanked our exceptional Fire Mage on those a couple of times, but fire pulls ahead so much more on other fights like Garalon that unless you want to reforge constantly there's no point in not speccing it.

IMO Blizzard has completely screwed up on our class balance, Arcane and Frost both seem fine but Fire is so stupidly OP at the moment that a rather large Nerf Bat is probably Inc.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Why is it that fire pulls ahead on Garalon?

Any spec will benefit from the vulnerability on the legs. Have I not noticed that combustion with that extra modifier will spread or something?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Frost is fine for the first two, I spanked our exceptional Fire Mage on those a couple of times.

See, this is why I made the thread - I wanna do this as we make our start on HoF. What glyphs and talents did you use? Especially curious about the Mage Bomb.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Main reason why fire generally pulls ahead on Garalon is because it's a constant movement fight. If you aren't under his legs, you aren't getting the damage bonus. If you aren't moving with him, you aren't under his legs. Thus, because scorch benifiets best with fire, you get the best damage from fire. Other specs can pull out decent with him but fire just sims better.

As for the first two bosses, I say play what you want. This is my second mage and on my other one I do fine as both arcane and frost (personally, I hate fire and refuse to play it untill it's required for something like Garalon.)
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Mage
As frost I went NT because I have the elegon trinket and it wont proc of living bomb. I used PoM but itd probably be worth going scorch for the discs. The biggest reason Fire pulls ahead so much on Garalon is because the leg bonuses help build huge ignites for your combust, you can then also spread combust from the back legs to the body and from the body to the front. The whole fight is about cleaving and right now fire seems to be the closest thing to a legit cleave outside of melee.

All that being said I wish Frost was just on par with fire, I hate playing this spec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]