My beard is too clean...

90 Tauren Warrior
I have spent 95% of my WoW career only focusing on PVE. Simply put, I want to begin to PvP but do not know where to begin. I ask my veteran beards for some beginner tips to consider when going into a BG. I am not looking for any serious pvping, but don't want my face stomped in whenever I go into a BG, and at least make my opponent work for the kill if and when I decide to do Arena's. Here are some of the issues I am aware of and want to work on and other things I am curious about.

I am a keyboard turner. I have worked my mouse into a way where I can move any way I want including strafing, but still keep going back to the keyboard. Besides continuing to tell myself not to, is there any other suggestions to get rid of this bad habit?

Along with keyboard turning, I am a mix of keyboard and clicker on abilities. I attempted to use Dominoes but was really confused by it. If someone has a different add-on or a guide that goes into Dominoes, would be very helpful

I am NOT asking for what's the better PvP spec is, but what is, in your opinion ,more beginner friendly? Also, which one would have a better time adjusting to PVE when needed without moving around as much would be helpful

Is it better to gain PvP gear through trading JP into honor and avoid causing a lost battle, or to tough out BG's in PVE gear to learn the ropes?

Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Keyboard turning and mouse clicking on abilities will get you killed.

Unbind all of your movement keys except for strafe left and strafe right. Use mouse to move forward. Using a combo of a strafe key and forward you can spin in circles. This tends to be 90% of melee battling. By no means ever move backwards (back pedal). It will feel weird at first, but you will get used to mouse movement pretty quickly.

Regarding keybindings, you don't have to use an external addon but they can make key binding easier on you. Personally I use Bartender which is pretty simple to configure. Bind all of your keys so you can reach them with the hand you strafe with. This will allow you to access a lot more abilities a lot quicker than having to move your mouse anywhere (especially since you will be using that for running forward). Personally I have A and Z bound as my strafes and use those with my pinky and all my abilities radiate out from there. Basically all the keys up to and including the H column on my keyboard are bound to abilities. Shift can also be reached easily from this position so you can add a few more (for example Shift+G is my Safeguard macro).

BGs will be faster if you win because with JP you lose some points in the conversion. But if BGs are frustrating you can always go do heroics to get JP until you have enough dreadful to hold your own.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Unbind your keys that allow you to keyboard turn. Make "A" and "D" strafe left and right. Personally I think back pedal has its place, such as when you need just a micro adjustment in your position (if you've tanked you'll understand) but many people seem to unbind it.

As Mightymaus said above, bind up to the H column and use shift to allow for more key binds. I would suggest just sticking with the default UI, it works fine, but if you need a new look I would recommend Bartender.

PvP in the spec you know best since you are new, though if I had to suggest one then spec Arms. Also don't get married to your 2H, some fights you will spend the whole time, or close to it, with your sword and board.

Since you are a Blacksmith make yourself pvp gear or buy some, at the very least you will live long enough to learn something instead of just being blown up by everyone. If the battle isn't one sided you'll see that pvp is usually about trading cooldowns, so take time to learn when you can pop everything and when you have to use CD's one at time.

Also, depending on how much of an edge you want you're gonna have to make some macros. I recommend a banner charge macro, and personally I find mouseover macros for charge and pummel are fantastic.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Keyboard turning and mouse clicking on abilities will get you killed.

Unbind all of your movement keys except for strafe left and strafe right. Use mouse to move forward. Using a combo of a strafe key and forward you can spin in circles. This tends to be 90% of melee battling. By no means ever move backwards (back pedal). It will feel weird at first, but you will get used to mouse movement pretty quickly.

Regarding keybindings, you don't have to use an external addon but they can make key binding easier on you. Personally I use Bartender which is pretty simple to configure. Bind all of your keys so you can reach them with the hand you strafe with. This will allow you to access a lot more abilities a lot quicker than having to move your mouse anywhere (especially since you will be using that for running forward). Personally I have A and Z bound as my strafes and use those with my pinky and all my abilities radiate out from there. Basically all the keys up to and including the H column on my keyboard are bound to abilities. Shift can also be reached easily from this position so you can add a few more (for example Shift+G is my Safeguard macro).

BGs will be faster if you win because with JP you lose some points in the conversion. But if BGs are frustrating you can always go do heroics to get JP until you have enough dreadful to hold your own.

As this is something I am working on as well, I appreciate your response. I have no problem mouse-moving, it's just hitting all the buttons correctly and keybinding things.

A tip for the OP, I had a rogue friend who has always been very good at PvP. He suggested that I try turning off my UI when I get my keys bound so I am not tempted to click anything. I tried this once and, of course, failed terribly. But it makes you practice hard so you learn quicker. Just a suggestion you may want to try. Tell ya what? I'll try it again too. :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
11/28/2012 11:32 PMPosted by Kuraiaki
Unbind your keys that allow you to keyboard turn.

I bind Q to Charge and E to Pummel, just because those are abilities I want to have close to hand but don't want them on my regular bar that I use for priorities/rotations. I leave A and D as turning keys, but since I run around with the right mouse button depressed 95% of the time they are just strafing. I still use A and D to turn if I'm doing something lazy, like flying on a mount with autorun, and just want minor course corrections without using my mouse.

I have alternative keys assigned with the shift key. For example, while Q is for Charge, shift-Q is Heroic Leap. Shift-E is for Spell Reflect. And so on. I'm able to get all my shorter CD abilities within easy reach of my left hand and click my long CD abilities (anything more than a minute long) so that I don't accidentally waste something at the wrong time. I've never suffered because I couldn't Shield Wall fast enough, for example.

Don't forget mouse buttons too. I mapped my middle mouse button (mouse wheel click) to Thunder Clap and if I hold shift it becomes Shockwave. I don't need a mouse with 15 buttons on it to get all my important abilities within reach. It then just takes practice to get used to hitting the keys but it will happen faster than you think, especially if you're logical about how you organize your abilities (putting similar abilities together, etc.).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Razor Naga says hi
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Gamming mice are very nice I just got one a month ago.

You'll stop keyboard turning when you fight other melee, target rogues and ferals and you'll need to mouse turn.

Fury is actually a more basic spec imo. You just use Bloodthirst and Ragingblow when available and Wildstrike as a filler to put it very simply. There is more to it but you don't have to worry about it. Arms is seen as better atm.

I raced a guildie and he beat me gearing up with JP for the same time investment.
Using defensive stance is better than battle if your taking any damage.

Target warlocks/priests and use berzerker rage to break the fears/spellreflect chaos bolt.
If see a frost mage charge over and spell reflect almost immediatly. It will freeze you.
It can be advantageous to kill a hunters pet if he opens on you from range and you can go behind a LoS object.
Using disarm on DK's is great just stun them first with shockwave and minimize the overlap.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
First step, trim your beard. I have been killed several times because of the pesky alliance grabbing me by the beard and slitting my throat. I now have it cropped close to my chin, which still provides a fine sponge for human blood, but does not offer a handle for my foes.

Second step, keep your blade sharp & polished. While it is tempting to notch your weapon and leave it crusted with the blood & guts of your foes, a warrior is only as strong as his blade, so you must treat it well.

Third step, stop keyturning, clicking, and backpedaling. You must be extremely mobile, capable of heroic leaping behind an enemy warlock casting chaos bolt, over a Ring of Frost, or past hunter traps. A warrior is worthless if he can't stick on his opponent.

Fourth step, go get murdered in duels and bgs and you will start to learn :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]