Game-locking FPS drop in Silvermoon

90 Blood Elf Priest
When leaving the throne room in Sunfury Spire in Silvermoon city, a massive framerate drop occurs, resulting in a lock up of the game sometimes requiring a force close. Setting all graphics to low and reloading the UI does not help. Removing addons does not help. It was not occuring until the release of 5.1 and seems to be tied to something phased that is either not active yet or not set to be active until a later patch.

from what I've been able to work out. the drop happens because of something phased. I cannot get a good look at it But it seems there are city guards at the edge of the fountain near murder row and what looks like a pile of bodies. For some reason they are phased into view when you leave the spire and cause the FPS to crash until you can get close enough to the fountain for the proper phasing to occur.

Steps to reproduce the bug :
1) Take the translocation orb from Undercity to Silvermoon.
2) Head for the exit leading to the fountain outside.
3) Watch carefully in the distance. When the fountain and the entrance to Murder row become visible, you are able to see city guards in a defensive position and piles of what looks like bodies.
4) Continue to move forward through the FPS drop if possible and walk in the direction of Murder Row, jumping into the fountain to continue forward.
5) Notice when you are close enough for these npcs to phase out the framerate will jump back up to normal.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I had the same problem, but after zoning into Stormwind from Dalaran. I could not move out of the portal room, so I just logged out and got on another character.

Hopefully this gets fixed. :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For Silvermoon, it has something to do with a bunch of Blood Elves that look like they're training around the base of the fountain in the lower level. When you get closer they disappear and the framerate jumps back to normal.

For Stormwind, no idea. :P
Reply Quote
It completely locks up my wow. My main is stuck like this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It was happening since the PTR. I thought they would fix it before 5.1, but they didn't.

It makes your FPS drop from 100+ to 7-10.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Yep I'm getting legendary FPS lag, not server lag in Silvermoon with this patch. Everywhere else so far to me seems fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm getting this issue as well... hope they fix it soon..

I've also seen some problems in some other areas randomly. When I went over to the southern barrens for the first time it dropped to below 15 FPS as well, and I had to just deal with it for a couple minutes, then suddenly everything went back to normal.

Weird.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
And yet again some bug makes me unable to play the game i pay for...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Can confirm the lag near the fountain. It happens when getting close to the spire from anywhere else in the city as well as when porting in and heading to the fountain from the spire. Typically it locks my game for a few seconds, and then remains at ~3 FPS (on a brand new computer) until I am out of sight of whatever is phased.

Others aren't so lucky - many of my friends DC outright and some people can't log onto characters that are in the vicinity.

While I may be biased, as I'm a blood elf RPer on an RP server, I feel like this is something that should be addressed sooner rather than later; It's difficult to enjoy RP in SMC when DCs are inevitable and frequent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Yea i can't even move in SIlvermoon City. totally locked... Thankfully I moved inside quickly.. But as soon as you get closet to the exit from the spire room i get extreme lag.
Reply Quote
47 Blood Elf Warlock
I got it within the Spire from orbing from undercity. Thankfully it goes away after you get past the upper level of the fountain.
Edited by Luthacin on 11/30/2012 10:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Yeeeeep. Confirming all of the above. I've lagged my way through it, going from Farstriders' Square up through the Court, but I made the awful mistake of teleporting to SMC on my mage and I'm stuck in the door leading out of the Spire into the Court. I can't see the phasing stuff mentioned above because I don't ever get that far. My client just explodes and crashes into tiny little pieces all over my desktop.

So much for working on this toon tonight.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
For a temporary solution, backpedal to PAST the fountain, or run forward with your camera facing behind you (like in this screenshot).

http://i.imgur.com/ahzfc.jpg

Once you are at around this point here:
http://i.imgur.com/RNEgq.jpg
You can turn the camera back around. The game might hitch for a second but it should resume to normal.

The problem are the 1,000+ blood elf NPCs that are phased out near the fountain, but phased in near the teleportal/throne room. I could only get a brief glimpse of them from afar, in this screenshot before either my game locked up (from turning the camera more towards them) or they phased out (from getting closer):

http://i.imgur.com/u6ltk.jpg

Notice once my other character turned around, the mass of BEs is gone:

http://i.imgur.com/kyIye.jpg
Edited by Tsurara on 12/1/2012 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I don't even have the option to quickly do aaaaanything. soon as I'm out of the loading screen, I'm stuck.

EDIT: Just remembered my processor is kinda on the poop side. Gonna try this fix on my husband's PC and will report back!

EDIT NUMERO DOS: No dice. Same result on his PC.
Edited by Bloodsinger on 12/1/2012 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I don't even have the option to quickly do aaaaanything. soon as I'm out of the loading screen, I'm stuck.

EDIT: Just remembered my processor is kinda on the poop side. Gonna try this fix on my husband's PC and will report back!

EDIT NUMERO DOS: No dice. Same result on his PC.
What I did to eventually fix it was turn all the graphics options down to the lowest possible, and then as fast as I could upon logging in, turn the camera around.

You should have a 1-2 second gap at low graphics settings between when the NPCs are loaded, and you can move the camera.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'll give it a shot.
The only other option I'm finding right now is to mash my Blink button, force-close it once it hard locks, reload, rinse, repeat. That's not gonna help anyone not playing a mage though.

I will beat this fountain. And then I will pee in it. Argh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Oh god thank you. That worked.

Though I might've run all the way to Murder Row backwards. Precation, you know.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Oh god thank you. That worked.

Though I might've run all the way to Murder Row backwards. Precation, you know.
No harm in being cautious. :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What I do to keep my frame rate from complete lock up is to zoom all the way in and then keep my camera on the ground till after I pass the water. This seems to stop all the lock ups for me and a few of my friends. Its a bit annoying, but better then waiting 10 minutes or so for everything to pass by.... v.v
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]