Replacing Ice Barrier

90 Worgen Mage
Blazing Speed is mad fun and it helps with my survivability much more then an Ice Barrier.

You can macro Blazing Speed and Frost Nova together to snare your opponent and put some space between you very quickly. This is probably more beneficial for Fire and Arcane as opposed to Frost, since Frost can snare people from further away.

You can also macro Blazing Speed and Blink to either help you escape and get quickly around that corner to break LoS, or to get out of range from classes .. including a Priest's Mind Flay, a Lock's Malefic Grasp, and a Hunter's attack.

You can also use it to kite someone, which I've done on occasion.. particularly other Mages who try to blink away from me ;)

It also allows you to propel off cliffs and down hills, and with Slow-Fall the momentum will allow you to launch yourself from Lumber Mill over to Farm and the bridge near Stables.

Trust me, this is one Talent that has a lot more potential then what it first appears.. not just in BGs, but in Arenas too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
@Deist: Those applications sound very cool. I hadn't thought of Blazing Speed as anything more than a shorter, slower Nitro Boost. But being off of the GCD makes the combination of it with other things appealing. Though, I'm still a bit concerned about getting stunned mid-Blazing Speed. Does this happen?

@Opnobo: Oh God, I felt the Spellsteal nerf before even going into Arenas. Just doing my Golden Lotus dailies, my fairly insignificant spellsteals that I use to sped up my dailies became huge decisions as I'd see my mana drain away very quickly. And I agree that, with a faster CD, Blazing Speed would be more attractive. As it stands, Blazing Speed has the same CD as damage mitigation talents, but offers no such mitigation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
@Toskosa: That is a huge concern of mine, as well. It seems like Blazing Speed only really works against melee, making it situational, at best.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/29/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Æsthetîcs
..........so many bads

I'm not sure if you're referring to every mage that posted before you or what. But ... When some mage comes a long, and calls people out on being bad in PVP... and has ZERO exp in pvp. I hope you get punched in the dong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Its funny because despite the ice barrier nerf it still remains the best in pve.

instead of nerfing ice barrier they should have buffed temperal sheild to heal you up faster.
Perhaps a faster heal up time would have been better.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
11/29/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Koviko
@Deist: Those applications sound very cool. I hadn't thought of Blazing Speed as anything more than a shorter, slower Nitro Boost. But being off of the GCD makes the combination of it with other things appealing. Though, I'm still a bit concerned about getting stunned mid-Blazing Speed. Does this happen?

I've not been stunned during Blazing Speed as when I use it it's to snare and setup for a deep, or used in combination with blink to escape a pack of horde, or get out of range from a spriest's mind-flay when everything else is on CD.

As with Hunters, I use Ice Ward to proc Frost Nova when their pets attack, then blink+blaze speed to close the gap between myself and the Hunter, then use Frost Nova and deep as I'm now within range.

Similarly with Spriests who create distance with fear. Sometimes Blink alone doesn't quite get you close enough to them to use Frost Nova (for a deep), and they'll keep you from getting close with Mind-Flay. Blazing Speed will give you that added distance, plus you're not affected by their movement-reduction debuff.

It shines with melee, particularly Warriors. I never blink out of the first stun as it's a short-duration. Then Blaze Speed + Frost Nova to snare, follow up with a Deep. If they trink out of it, or fear me, at least I have Blink available for their second stun, and Ice Ward to proc Frost Nova again ;)

Aside from that, with being Arcane I have the advantage of robbing other Mages of their Ice Barrier and other goodies, which can't be spammed in return. And there seems to be plenty of Frost and Fire Mages out there in the BGs to steal from :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]