You have in game music turned OFF!?!?

90 Pandaren Monk
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8

See this? This is pretty epic music. It's music I can sit back and just listen to. WoW's music rarely does this for me. For a little while I listened to the Pandaria inn sounds, it was pretty fun. I also listened to some zone music for a while. However, it's simply on repeat. It gets old fast. You don't need to listen to the music to get the full experience at all.

WoW isn't even an immersive game. When you talk to players, it takes you out of that experience. I can only immerse myself in single player games, like Demon's/Dark Souls where the enemy players don't speak, and Fallout/Elder Scrolls or other RPGs like Chrono Trigger/Cross.[/quote]

If you take "loop" off, music only comes on during certain moments, or when you enter certain zones, or when something epic is happening. It's pretty nice. I don't have the music on repeat. I like it going off then coming back at certain times!

P.S. - sorry for the fail quoting, I only wanted to quote part of it.
Edited by Reibo on 11/30/2012 10:36 AM PST
1 Troll Priest
Definitely have to be in the mood. I like the older music more though, since it's more of a traditional fantasy experience. The Asian-inspired music is well-done but I can't say I really love it to the point that I want to listen to it every day. Pandas are bad enough :p
58 Night Elf Death Knight
But I don't like the music in Pandaria. *shrug* I have it turned on everywhere else though.
100 Night Elf Hunter
I have the game sounds on, the game music off. I listen to it on occasion because it is epic and beautiful and awesome....but it breaks immersion for me....especially if I'm ACTUALLY trying to RP.

See, in reality there ISN'T loud (albeit beautiful) music raining from magical speakers in the sky. In reality, you don't mystically hear music everywhere you go...magical music that changes when you walk into a new city or building...unless you have headphones on and keep changing the song everywhere you go.

But see.....we don't HAVE headphones in game. Our toons don't have iPods or portable CD players or even something as primitive as a portable cassette player. Our toons have no technology to listen to music as often as the in game music is playing...which is ALWAYS.

One could argue that Goblin or Gnomish technology could, in fact, make a device that plays music....obviously the cars we get in the Goblin starting zone have radios....but it's not par for the course throughout the game. Musical technology is not something that is regularly utilised by our characters and I imagine there are reasons for that beyond it slipping someone's mind. Reasons like...it's harder to notice a big orc sneaking up on you to smash your face in with a mace when you've got your ears plugged up with sound other than atmosphere.

So you see........I have good reasons for keeping my game music off. It's all about immersion.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/30/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Reibo
How exactly is saying "your missing out on the whole experience"..."Judging" someone? And I clearly stated it was OK for someone do what they wanted, but it was just my opinion that the music is part of the whole experience. There was no judging going on here, my attitude is not garbage. You sir need to take your inappropriate attitude out of this thread OK?

How is telling someone they are playing the game wrong judging them? Am I reading that right?You try to cover it up by saying you never said it was wrong, but you clearly said they weren't getting it right. Maybe people actually get more immersed than you when they listen to different music. Maybe they get into even more than you (gasp!). Who knows? I won't judge someone if they like to play naked rocking out to techno while eating hummus. Hell, that person sounds like they're having a blast. I wouldn't say he isn't getting the full experience. Fictional player man can play how he wants.

I guess I'm just more of an RPG buff then most people, but for those people that have played Final Fantasy 7 for the playstation way back then, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's like that moment where you finally reached Sephiroth and you want to kick his !@#, then all of a sudden this super awesome music kicks in and now you are way more psyched to kick his $%^ now! That's the kind of experience I'm talking about.

You can't fully enjoy this game unless you have the music turned ON!

Problem is that doesn't happen in WoW. Most music is very generic whimsical-airy-fairy fantasy music. I don't even notice the music most of the time because of it. There are a lot of great things about WoW, I don't personally don't think the music is one of them.
90 Undead Warlock
Please explain to me how turning off sound and music to World of Warcraft GIVES you more of an experience then if you had the sound and music ON?

So you are saying that if you went to a football game, (big professional one) and you sat there and couldn't hear the music, couldn't hear the tackling, the crowd, couldn't feel the vibration in your chest of the thundering roars of the crowd and music and everything else around you, you would indeed be getting the whole experience?? I don't think so...

So yes, I will say if you don't have the sound or music on you ARE missing out on the whole experience. But what I'm also saying is that it's OK to listen to your own music and have the sound off, I never said it wasn't.

It doesn't, it simply does not take away from the experience to turn them off. Players are all different, we don't need to hear the cheap game sounds or the repetitive music to really enjoy and experience the game. If I feel more immersed listening to background music from a game I played years ago (Ragnarok Online), then how am I missing anything? Every player is different, we are not all the same. I personally can't stand listening to the game sounds, nor can I listen to the same music over and over. I haven't said turning them off increases immersion or provides a better experience, like you have for turning them on.

And no, you wouldn't, but that is not the same thing. As a player who has played WoW for 8 years, the game sounds and music is just obnoxious to me. I've listened to real sounds, I've listened to games that have amazing soundtracks and amazing in-game sounds. WoW is not one of them anymore. You do not need to hear the game to feel it.

Again, every player is different. I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I turn the sound off or turn the music off after I've heard the song before.
90 Undead Warlock
If you take "loop" off, music only comes on during certain moments, or when you enter certain zones, or when something epic is happening. It's pretty nice. I don't have the music on repeat. I like it going off then coming back at certain times!

P.S. - sorry for the fail quoting, I only wanted to quote part of it.

If I take loop off, I'm simply listening to game sounds most of the time. Most of which are obnoxious to me, as they are very outdated sound bits. A game that needs sounds is Demon's/Dark Souls, because that's part of the immersion and you need to listen to it or you'll probably die over and over from something you could hear.
91 Pandaren Monk
Oh man, I can't imagine playing WoW (or any game really) with the music turned off. One of the reasons I always get the collector's editions for WoW expansions is for the soundtrack. I adore the in game music.
90 Pandaren Monk
How exactly is saying "your missing out on the whole experience"..."Judging" someone? And I clearly stated it was OK for someone do what they wanted, but it was just my opinion that the music is part of the whole experience. There was no judging going on here, my attitude is not garbage. You sir need to take your inappropriate attitude out of this thread OK?

How is telling someone they are playing the game wrong judging them? Am I reading that right?You try to cover it up by saying you never said it was wrong, but you clearly said they weren't getting it right. Maybe people actually get more immersed than you when they listen to different music. Maybe they get into even more than you (gasp!). Who knows? I won't judge someone if they like to play naked rocking out to techno while eating hummus. Hell, that person sounds like they're having a blast. I wouldn't say he isn't getting the full experience. Fictional player man can play how he wants.

I'm pretty sure you are totally missing the point of this thread or you are just trolling.

This is a fact. It's not speculation, it's not hear say, It's fact. Just stop and think about it for 10 seconds before you reply to this.

If you have the Music off, AND Sound off, and you never turn it on. Half the time you are listening to music, the other times you are watching T.V., maybe you are on vent, who knows, who cares. But the FACT is, that if you have THOSE things off, you can not hear World of Warcrafts MUSIC, or SOUND, you are not getting the whole WORLD OF WARCRAFT Experience because you can't hear there sound, or music. You can't here the punches, kicks, sword clangs, speech, epic battle music of the moment, ect ect...

If you are playing techno music, instead of WoW music, then you arn't getting the whole WoW experience because you are not listening to WoW's music. Do you get my point Eranos? Think about it, before you decide to troll this thread more. Do not turn this into some other arguement that it wasn't ment to be. Everyone else on the thread seemed to get what I was talking about except you apparently.
Edited by Reibo on 11/30/2012 10:49 AM PST
91 Worgen Death Knight
Game isn't the same if the sound if off for me. I personally love to be FULLY immersed in any game, even since vanilla the sound never turned off. I say let the people play how and what they wanna play, whatever is on/off that is their WHOLE experience.
90 Pandaren Monk
11/30/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Thugnificënt
I don't like the world of warcraft music at all, it's all generic garbage. If I want to listen to quality RPG music while playing, I'll listen to something from Chrono Trigger.

Best game ever btw. (next to Xenogears)
100 Goblin Shaman

I guess I'm just more of an RPG buff then most people, but for those people that have played Final Fantasy 7 for the playstation way back then, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's like that moment where you finally reached Sephiroth and you want to kick his !@#, then all of a sudden this super awesome music kicks in and now you are way more psyched to kick his $%^ now! That's the kind of experience I'm talking about.

You can't fully enjoy this game unless you have the music turned ON!

Problem is that doesn't happen in WoW. Most music is very generic whimsical-airy-fairy fantasy music. I don't even notice the music most of the time because of it. There are a lot of great things about WoW, I don't personally don't think the music is one of them.

Exactly. There's no emotion/epicness to it.

Hard to explain what i mean by 'emotion', but WoW music is like the stock music of the fantasy genre.
91 Pandaren Monk
11/30/2012 10:47 AMPosted by Gekkomoria
Game isn't the same if the sound if off for me. I personally love to be FULLY immersed in any game, even since vanilla the sound never turned off. I say let the people play how and what they wanna play, whatever is on/off that is their WHOLE experience.
Exactly! I completely agree with you. Personally, I hate having to get into vent because I have to turn the music way down. :(
Here is how to do actual battle music since you mentioned Final Fantasy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgi4NBhL3GM

Every time you go into battle battle music starts, and there are several different themes, not just one for the entire game. Regular FFXI had certain music, zones from each expansion had other music. Boss music was different from generic battle music.

It's actually quite distracting in WoW to me when I'm fighting something and music doesn't cut on, but then again, battles only last 10 seconds most of the time, so it's not feasible to have a 2minute+ song start playing, I guess.

As someone else said though, there is a genius behind the Final Fantasy music. The man is a legend and there tends to be an entire orchestra doing the music instead of just a piano, harp, and flute like what most of WoW's music seems like to me.
11/30/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Reibo
You are missing out on a HUGE part of the experience!!

Agree ... for the first few times you're there. After the 30th time in the same place, i'm listening to iTunes.
80 Night Elf Priest
I have always had the ingame music going - good stuff although my favorites are from Wrath. It does help with the immersion into the game along with such minor things as not walking through people or NPCs.

I have had to turn down the fighting sounds - hearing a prot pally hit on something for 5 minutes before it dies does get old.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]