New Character Models

89 Night Elf Druid
People need to realize that asking for new models is a much bigger undertaking than ~95% of people asking realize.

It's way more than just making new wireframe models and skinning, and then designing animations for movement, emotes, combat, etc. That's probably one of the smaller parts of the task.

The part most everyone seems to NOT realize, is that suppose they finish all the models.

Great. Now they have to move on to rebuilding, remodeling, and reskinning ALL EXISTING GEAR.

Unless you really want a brand spanking new human model, with armor clipping through the body everywhere, with boots that are now ankle high, or out of proportion, or look like 4 polygons over your nice new 3091380985 polygon count model.

Every piece of gear for every race/gender model would need to at the very least have its scale played with to make it fit right to not look totally bad.

That's pretty easy for most vanilla cloth gear, since it seems like a lot of that was just flat skin on the model itself. But any of the complex gear would need quite a bit of tuning to fit any new model they come up with.

So in summation; It's a way bigger task than folks seem to think. It's not something you could round up the art team to work on on weekends and finish in a few months. It's a pretty large undertaking.

Just look at things from Cataclysm like Stormwind. Stormwinds buildings are a static object. Not much real motion needed, banners and flags and such I'd expect are already made. Redoing that, to make it repaired since Deathwing is gone now would be way way WAY easier compared to the task of new character models & animations. Yet they've not done it, because it is still quite a bit of work for little return.

So try to have some patience. It is a lot of work.
100 Human Priest
I think they should add a facelift shift to the barber shop so we can change our original looks also. And what if they update character models and I want to change to a new face. I would love the option not just people making new toons.
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/01/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Daralii
Please, for the sake of sighted people everywhere, enable the alpha worgen models that are already in the files. That way there would actually be some options for how worgen look. Faces, hairstyles, etc, instead of 'what color of derphound would you like?'
Female pandaren, unfortunately, also suffer from one face syndrome.

Please Blizzard, give the females of the next playable race face customization on part with the goblins.

I agree that the Pandaren suffer from uniface syndrome, but at least they don't make me feel the need to vomit. I really hope that whoever the 'artist' was that designed the current worgen model is working a drivethru somewhere these days, because their skills as a creative talent are absolutely laughable.
90 Tauren Druid
12/01/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Rygarius
New character models haven't been forgotten and are still being worked on. Our artists aren't ready to reveal what they got yet. When they're ready, you'll know!

Any idea when they will be ready?

This expansion or will we have to wait till next expansion?
90 Dwarf Shaman
If Orcs don't continue to have giant shoulders when new models are done, then it was all for naught, and the attempt was a failure. :P
Edited by Hagderk on 12/1/2012 4:12 PM PST
31 Dwarf Warlock
They were supposed to be done by MoP's launch, but we dunno if they're just being held back for now or what.

correction they said "AT BEST" they would be done with the dwarves by MoP's launch.

my guess is instead of rolling them out one race at a time they are going to wait and announce the new models at around the same time (blizzcon 2013?) and then release them all in the same patch (5.3? 5.4?)

If they're released before September 2013 I'll be very surprised. New character models would be a significant draw for returning players. Not on the level of an expansion perhaps, but not far from it. I expect the new models will be the marketing counterbeat in between MoP and the next expansion.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
eyebrow customization for blood elves.
90 Goblin Hunter
As much as I like Moolah and explosions, if Orcs get straight backs, I will definitely be race switching.

12/01/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Noitora
You all are just setting yourselves up to be disappointed. Any change made will most likely upset somebody. I'd be surprised if there's someone who'd even like the newer models.

I'll like them, I'm sure. The blizzard art team would have to really work hard to make them worse looking than they already are. PS1 polygons with XBOX renders is starting to become an eye sore in this ever advancing genre of entertainment.
Edited by Kazreth on 12/1/2012 5:03 PM PST
100 Dwarf Paladin
In the meantime how about making dwarf beards not stick through helms?
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/01/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Gherothar
I really hope they give orcs straight backs. Please, Blizzard, my chiropractor is a tyrant.

That happens and I am playing my Orc again.
20 Gnome Warrior
New character models haven't been forgotten and are still being worked on. Our artists aren't ready to reveal what they got yet. When they're ready, you'll know!
could we at least see some concept art maybe? i would love to see what they have in mind.
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/01/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Setzer
eyebrow customization for blood elves.
90 Human Paladin
New character models haven't been forgotten and are still being worked on. Our artists aren't ready to reveal what they have yet. When they're ready, you'll know!

^ Fixed that for ya'.
85 Night Elf Druid
New character models haven't been forgotten and are still being worked on. Our artists aren't ready to reveal what they HAVE yet. When they're ready, you'll know!

woot! Come on 5.2! /fingerscrossed

@Sinethal:
I see what you did there.
Edited by Cosmicshift on 12/1/2012 5:13 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Mage

Omggg awesomeee
90 Human Warlock

Why not?

Why can't we have a preview? D:
88 Tauren Druid
12/01/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Gherothar
I really hope they give orcs straight backs. Please, Blizzard, my chiropractor is a tyrant.

This^

In my situation, just look at my neck, my chiropractic bills are through the roof!
90 Night Elf Death Knight

Just seeing this is still a priority makes me very happy I will probably spend way too much on race changes when these drop!
90 Human Paladin
Ok, I am very excited to hear this is happening. In light of City of Heroes going offline forever last night, I am glad to hear WoW is getting a bit of a facelift. One of the complaints I have heard by many people that quit playing was the fact that WoW is way to cartoonish when it comes to the models and skins of the content of the game. One of the great things about City of Heroes was that players were able to customize the size, shape, color of all the characters they created. No other MMO has what City of Heroes had in that area. I know there are those that say Aion and other do, and they are now the current holders of the mantle. If WoW had as much customization for players it would be even more competitive in the market, and definitely would draw more players. WoW with customization and graphics like Skyrim, Aion, or City of Heroes = EPIC!

On another note, it would be great to see the human males not look so brutish. Not to mention the whole cleft lip thing going on w/out any facial hair, really?

Lastly, perhaps a bit more attention could be given to how characters sit on mounts? It's still odd to see my toons sitting through a gryphon, wyvern, or dragon mount, or the cape cutting through the saddle lol.

Looking forward to the update!
Edited by Zeander on 12/1/2012 5:17 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]