Atonement Healing. When?

100 Undead Priest
Hello fellow priests.
I have a couple of questions about disc healing (PvE - dungeons)

When should I heal with atonement? Is it worth it?
I'm having a problem when the tank and a DPS or two is taking a lot of damage.
I try to conserve mana as much as I can so I usually PW:S the tank, Renew, penance the one with lowest health and Heal until they are 80%+.

The thing is, should I fit smite healing in my rotation? Heal takes too long to cast and it feels weak.
I did similar rotation with my shammy (Riptide + Healing Wave with T W buff up) and it works wonders, I barely have to cast a GHW.
I just feel that, as a disc Priest, casting low and efficient heals isn't helping me much, forcing me to cast Greater Heal.

Any advice is welcome.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
PW: Shield the tank and save big heals for when he's taking a lot of damage. I usually macro Inner Focus with Greater Heal to give him a huge heal with a chunky shield. Keep Prayer of Mending on CD.

Other than that, use Smite, HF, and Penance on the mobs to take care of spot healing. Yes, it is worth it. I do the bulk of my healing with Atonement, and with the new 40 yard range, it's even better.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
i barely use any other spell, i just holy fire and smite the whole time. if it gets a little rough, alot of people taking damage inner focus prayer of healing usually takes care of that easily. i macro my wings to my prayer of healing so its pretty potent when i do finally use it.

once in a while i will bubble the tank, but not very often, most globals are used for smite and holy fire. i dont even use renew anymore might just take it off my bar. this is for heroics by the way which i believe is what you were asking about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Now that I'm a bit geared up I mostly just bubble, smite, and occasional Prayer of Healing when I'm in dungeons. But, that doesn't output as much healing as I need in raids, nor did it output enough in dungeons before I had all purple gear. If you need more output, Greater Heal is your best friend.

Situations are always changing in an encounter, but as a general rule:
1 - Cast Penance every cooldown
2 - For single target heavy healing use Greater Heal
3 - For group healing use Prayer of Healing
4 - Bubble tank as appropriate (not the most efficient use of mana, but I try and keep a bubble on the tank as often as I can during heavy damage times.

That's the heart of Disc in a nutshell. I only bother with smite and attonement if there are low damage times when I can get away with it. It's a 'nice to have' but not part of my rotation when I have to step on the gas.
Edited by Denalar on 12/3/2012 2:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

When should I heal with atonement?
Is it worth it?
I'm having a problem when the tank and a DPS or two is taking a lot of damage.I try to conserve mana as much as I can so I usually PW:S the tank, Renew, penance the one with lowest health and Heal until they are 80%+.

Never heal with atonement in a raid setting. Terrible idea unless it's to gain AA stacks without hindering your healing by too much. In a 5man setting save atonement spamming for bosses only.
Edited by Dasaq on 12/3/2012 2:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Is it worth it?
I'm having a problem when the tank and a DPS or two is taking a lot of damage.I try to conserve mana as much as I can so I usually PW:S the tank, Renew, penance the one with lowest health and Heal until they are 80%+.

Never heal with atonement in a raid setting. Terrible idea unless it's to gain AA stacks without hindering your healing by too much. In a 5man setting save atonement spamming for bosses only.

Are you on crack?

Wait...are you speaking from a 25 man setting or a 10 man setting?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
For the most part it should be used in the following situations and for the following purposes.

1. Holy Fire to generate Evangelism stacks.
2. Penance to generate Evangelism stacks provided you don't need to maintain or apply Grace.
3. Holy Fire, Penance or Smite when specific damage modifiers are present (say, a boss is taking % increased damage).
4. Smite when healing needs are low and/or under control to output damage and/or generate Evangelism stacks.

Yes, based on the list above there aren't many situations where you should be using Smite. This is because, quite frankly, Smite sucks for healing output and is primarily for DPS output during irrelevant/low damage or for speeding up your Evangelism generation.

If you feel like your other spells are "sluggish" I'd recommend you abuse Borrowed Time more. Just remember instants don't consume BT, so if at all possible you want to use spells like Penance, Holy Fire and PoM, if applicable, immediately after gaining BT and cast-time heals at the back-end of the buff.

The most important fact to remember for Discipline is you're not going to be good at healing reactively. The spec is ill equipped to be played in this fashion and relies on anticipation, a pro-active healing approach and, you guessed it, cool-downs (and Prayer of Healing, which the developers love championing as the go-to spell for creating band-aids to cover up issues with the spec).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

Is it worth it?

This is wrong in just about every possible way.

Atonement healing absolutely can and should be used in a raid setting—both to gain AA stacks and as filler during low/spotty damage.

In a 5-man setting, you should also be able to use it on trash and bosses. You simply need to be aware of when the damage is low enough to warrant its use, and when you need to swap to Greater Heal, etc.
Edited by Elethia on 12/3/2012 4:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
In 5 mans? I don't know what the accepted practices are, but I Fire/Smite non-stop. Every pull, all the time. As long as I remember to Mindbender on cooldown, I don't have manna issues.

I give myself bonus points any time I can out damage a dps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
With the new 40-yard range Atonement spam during low damage phases is (sadly) generating a pretty sizeable chunk of my effective healing. Maintain Evangelism stacks and when damage isn't worth worrying about Smite some more.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
heroics/LFR

shield tank, POM and atonement heal your butt off (Use pennance on mobs, more damage and 3 separate attonement heals so can hit 3 different targets)

normal/heroic raids, havent done, so cant tell you.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Dungeons? Absolutely! Makes runs faster and heals for a significant amount too.
Reply Quote
I seem to be having issues with Atonement healing... I want to like it, hell... I want to LOVE it. But the throughput just doesn't seem enough for me. In areas when more than 1 person is taking damage, I just cannot do enough healing.

I cast IF>POH and crit for 40k... that makes me sad. What should I be doing otherwise? I wouldn't mind having the priest be my 'main' but I feel much more capable to handle things when I'm on my monk.

Lack of an "OH !@#$" button... unless I'm missing something... hurt as well.

Please don't flame me, I'm just looking for feedback and a desire to play as a Disc priest, just struggling with the actual playstyle. There are some fights where its zero problem, Atonement handles everything just fine and nobody drops below 75% health and other times when we wipe because I just can't keep up with the damage. Is it just a gear thing?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You just gave me the idea to macro wings to spirit shell, i always use those two together
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
ive only healed a few times in mop, you always use hf on cd bcoz its the equivalent of a flash heal otherwise just smite in between casting pom, cascade and pw:s on the tank.

also i dont agree with using penance for atonement, i save that to use on the tank to keep 3 stacks of grace on him or to use as a topup but thats just me Ive pretty much always got my wings either procced or on cd, we have them for a reason :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
I seem to be having issues with Atonement healing... I want to like it, hell... I want to LOVE it. But the throughput just doesn't seem enough for me. In areas when more than 1 person is taking damage, I just cannot do enough healing.

I cast IF>POH and crit for 40k... that makes me sad. What should I be doing otherwise? I wouldn't mind having the priest be my 'main' but I feel much more capable to handle things when I'm on my monk.

Lack of an "OH !@#$" button... unless I'm missing something... hurt as well.

Please don't flame me, I'm just looking for feedback and a desire to play as a Disc priest, just struggling with the actual playstyle. There are some fights where its zero problem, Atonement handles everything just fine and nobody drops below 75% health and other times when we wipe because I just can't keep up with the damage. Is it just a gear thing?

Penance/HF/Smite spamming becomes quite possible at higher gear levels. I can with my gear (plus buffs) cast Atonement non-stop without worrying about ooming. It can be sustained by Mindbender and/or Rapture procs. Even just using one of the other, I can keep my many pretty much full the whole time.

I use Atonement healing for almost all fights. The only exception I can really think of is Tsulong cause there's so much constant AOE coming in Night phase and you can't hit the boss during Day phase.

I use Atonement mostly to add DPS though rather than because it's an OP heal (it really isn't unless there is a mechanic that increases the damage/heal component).

12/04/2012 05:19 AMPosted by Sâshagrey
also i dont agree with using penance for atonement, i save that to use on the tank to keep 3 stacks of grace on him or to use as a topup but thats just me Ive pretty much always got my wings either procced or on cd, we have them for a reason :)

If Atonement healing can sustain the tank's hp, there's zero need to save Penance for the tank. You don't really need 3 stacks of grace if you'll be able to heal the tank up within one offensive Penance and maybe a Greater Heal w/ Inner Focus. The only time I'd switch to casting Penance on a tank is if I know he will take huge amounts of damage that will surpass his health plus any heals of Atonement within a short period of time.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I love smite/holy fire spamming in dungeon heorics. I can do 40-50k dps, which is better then most people in blues/greens and i am usually top dps lol
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
In 5 mans? I don't know what the accepted practices are, but I Fire/Smite non-stop. Every pull, all the time. As long as I remember to Mindbender on cooldown, I don't have manna issues.

I give myself bonus points any time I can out damage a dps.

I was almost proud of myself when I managed top dps for the final boss in jade serpent heroic with atonement. Of course then I thought about it and realized I'm not sure what that actually says about the dps. . .

My personal decision on 5 mans is that I'll start a pug using holy fire/smite for damage, keeping penance available if I need to quickly heal the tank. If I barely have to touch penance in the first couple fights, then I'll switch to using penance in a dps lineup. In general I see atonement as a replacement for heal. If the damage is not severe enough to use a greater heal or prayer of healing, smite applies damage as well.

Going back to the OP's situation - I'd suggest trying to use Prayer of Mending in that situation. If both of them are taking damage you should get some awesome bouncing (and prayer bouncing is the best sound in the game *ping* ping* *ping*). Personally, I avoid using renew as disc unless it's a situation where I'm moving. If both dps and a tank were taking large damage, I'd shield whoever is most likely to die in the next second or two, penance the other, and throw out a greater heal. If both are stabilized at 75% health, I'll probably switch back to atonement healing
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
disc healing (PvE - dungeons)

12/03/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Dukës
When should I heal with atonement? Is it worth it?

Always. Yes.

I'm having a problem when the tank and a DPS or two is taking a lot of damage.

PW:S, Spirit Shell + PoH when you know group-wide damage is incoming.

PW:S the tank, Renew, penance the one with lowest health and Heal until they are 80%+.

Take Renew out of your rotation - it eats up mana and does very little healing as Disc. It's fine for topping people off between fights, but not efficient as a main heal.

Save Penance for the tank to heal when your PW:S falls off and they need a heal, or for emergency healing a DPS/yourself AFTER you PW:S them.

Take Heal off your actionbars and don't use it.

The thing is, should I fit smite healing in my rotation? Heal takes too long to cast and it feels weak.

Think of Smite as the same as Heal - you just happen to target a mob instead of someone in your group when you cast it.

Use Holy Shock. Get the glyph to make it instant. Also get the glyph that makes Smite do 20% more damage against targets with Holy Shock.

I just feel that, as a disc Priest, casting low and efficient heals isn't helping me much, forcing me to cast Greater Heal.

In 5mans, Greater Heal should very rarely be used. Atonement and Penance are your bread-and-butter here, with PW:S on the tank/individual targets and Spirit Shell + Prayer of Healing to prevent group-wide damage rather than trying to heal it all later.

Some other tips:
Use Archangel in boss fights when you know you'll have to output a little more healing. You can even keep it up whenever it's off cooldown and quickly build up another 5 stacks via Smite. Also use it before you cast PoH.

Prayer of Mending on the tank gives you a nice "AFK" heal when you need it.

Mindbender offers a lot of mana return - but if you're at >= 75% mana for most of the dungeon, Shadowfiend on bosses offers a lot more. You can also use PW:Solace as part of your rotation - Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, PW:Solace, or even Smite, Solace, Smite, Solace...but if you have a dumb group taking a lot of damage, you may find yourself not having enough time to fit in Solace.

Pop Archangel/Inner Focus before Prayer of Healing. Then pop Spirit Shell/Power Infusion and spam Prayer of Healing until Spirit Shell expires to quickly put massive shields on the group.

Smite/Atonement favors Crit heavily - it's beautiful seeing Smite go BOOM and make a massive heal.
Edited by Fibromyalgia on 12/4/2012 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
actually i was just healing dungeons with atonement and penance is awesome, i didnt realize how powerful it was, it works great as a group heal via atonement
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]