Atonement Healing. When?

90 Goblin Priest
Pretty much any time PoH won't be that great (< 3 targets in the same group) or there isn't damage to preempt with Shell, I spam atonement healing. In dungeons and raids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My priest is 87 and I find I simply cannot get away with atonement healing. Everyone, tank AND dps, just take waaaaaay too much damage! Did anyone find that while leveling or do I just get stuck with the utmost crappiest groups that leap over each other just to stand in bad stuff?! Believe me, if I didn't heal the people standing in "bad", I'd have no one left alive in my group but me.

You guys make it seem so easy but in my priestly world, it's hard! On recount, I am ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the person who is taking the least amount of damage from anything! That goes for melee AND casters.

It makes me a sad panda! Does it get better??
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
My priest is 87 and I find I simply cannot get away with atonement healing. Everyone, tank AND dps, just take waaaaaay too much damage! Did anyone find that while leveling or do I just get stuck with the utmost crappiest groups that leap over each other just to stand in bad stuff?! Believe me, if I didn't heal the people standing in "bad", I'd have no one left alive in my group but me.

You guys make it seem so easy but in my priestly world, it's hard! On recount, I am ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the person who is taking the least amount of damage from anything! That goes for melee AND casters.

In all honesty, it depends on the groups. If you get a paper tank, atonement isn't gonna cut it. Unfortunately, a lot of leveling tanks are made of TISSUE paper.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I bubble, PoM tank between pulls.

Then I just HF, Pennence, SW:P, Smite, Divine star . I do go ahead and keep my wings up.

90% the time that works.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

In all honesty, it depends on the groups. If you get a paper tank, atonement isn't gonna cut it. Unfortunately, a lot of leveling tanks are made of TISSUE paper.

At 85, I was attoment healing. Leveling after that I did switch to holy. IMO holy is superior when groups suck.

Now I dual spec holy and disc. And usally roll disc. Sometimes in LFR I will switch to Holy when groups are failing. Everytime it has made a huge difference. BUt if was going along just fine. I stay disc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

start of slow, you should always bubble your group and keep pom on the tank and be casting it on him on cd before each pull like overfed said. this will give you some breathing space to get some smites in which will keep everyone topped up when the absorbs wear out.

Put a shield on someone whos taking damage and use holy fire as a flash heal to give them a quick heal or cast inner focus shield someone for borrowed time and poh the group then use penance for atonement to throw 3 heals across the group to whoever needs it. Atonement is a smart heal so it will heal the 3 lowest people for 20k each.

Remember, the point of disc heals is mitigation, we're supposed to heal proactively by getting our absorbs up on the group to mitigate as much damage as we can, rather then being a reactive heal spec like holy which just replaces lost hp from damage.

bubble your group like overfed said at the start of each fight and youll give yourself enough breathing space to ignore their healthbars to let off some smites because youre going to absorb alot of the initial damage
Edited by Sâshagrey on 12/5/2012 1:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If people's health drops when you start smiting, you aren't smiting hard enough!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thank you, Overfed and Sashagrey for your helpful tips! <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]