Story Brainstorm Session: Night Elves' "Fix"

90 Night Elf Death Knight
The Night Elves need something to replace or, at least, supplement the energy the World Tree provided to them at full strength.

The World Tree once provided the Night Elves with the energy to fight and defend their lands to the best of their ability. While not a step back, this supplement, an energy vitamin or something similar could prove to be a great way to get the Night Elves out of what appears to be World Tree energy withdrawal, in the course of the story since Warcraft III.

The primary counterpoint I can think of is that this may not be safe at first, or at all. Druids trained as herbalists might be key to seeing if this is a viable, workable solution.

Any thoughts would be welcome; I realize this may break the flow of the story and be outright dismissed as not like the Night Elves. To make a case for this idea in general, the Druids of the race can help trees heal and wildlife recover, when they wish to do so. I do not see the NE's saying they should be killed off to better the world. Rather, I would expect them to try to "fix" their race; this may mean growing a medicinal herb, that functions similar enough to the World Tree at full strength long enough for said tree to recover and help the race it empowered for so long.

This solution may lead to dependency, however, since said dependency on the World Tree appears to be greatly hampering the race now, any alternative at least in theory may be better than not having what they are used to. Of course, this may also work against the Night Elves and lead to other issues.

Edit: I'll add what I seem to have forgotten: Wisps gather wood and seem to convert the tree's effort to grow into lumber for the Night Elves. While there are not many Wisps around now, there may be ways to fix that. If there are more Wisps, there's more energy in the NEs' supplies; perhaps some can be directed into a reverse process of getting it, creating a fruit, berry, or something useful that can safely be ingested to supplement the energy NE's are as individuals used to having day to day, before the World Tree was injured?
Edited by Relesa on 12/3/2012 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
The World Tree didn't provide Night Elves with energy that made them stronger.

Immortality did. Yes, the blessing was on the World Tree, but no supplement can replace that. Increased strengh is a side effect of immortality in WoW
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
Somewhere in 6.0 during the war against the Legion the night elves suddenly become rejuvinated, stronger, more powerful.

Teldrassil flourishes, granting the Kal'dorei renewed power and immortality, better than ever before.

The source? A 'redeemed' Illidan Stormrage convinces Tyrande and other key Kal'dorei leadership of the effectiveness of his own methods, partially caused by increasing disillusionment in Malfurion's leadership. This triumphant illidan returns to the Kal'dorei with a gift: A captured pit lord, whose life force is consumed to bless the new world tree in a way that the dragon aspects refused to do.

Bam. Loose ends all tied up.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Hey, I called Illidan's finding a cure for Blood Elf addiction "ages" ago.

My bet is Illidan is going to return in 5.2 (because Fargo said an interesting thing not long back that Illidan wasn't going to return in 5.1 when he was asked if he would return in MoP), possibly join the Night Elves, updating their magic moxy so the Blood Elves don't have a huge advantage.

Though, with the return of Dalaran to Alliance, I'm probably wrong.

Illidan should definitly return to Night Elven faction though.. Mal needs him to function as a character, and vice versa.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The Night Elves need something to replace or, at least, supplement the energy the World Tree provided to them at full strength.

The World Tree once provided the Night Elves with the energy to fight and defend their lands to the best of their ability. While not a step back, this supplement, an energy vitamin or something similar could prove to be a great way to get the Night Elves out of what appears to be World Tree energy withdrawal, in the course of the story since Warcraft III.

I can only assume by "strength" you mean "immortality". In which case, I disagree. I personally think the whole immortality angle is to deal with the themes of Night Elves having to let go of the image of the self, the ego, and find balance and enlightenment. Malfurion has done this, but it just pisses everyone else off because he makes decisions that to others seem disloyal or illogical...when really he's just looking at the big picture.

This solution may lead to dependency, however, since said dependency on the World Tree appears to be greatly hampering the race now, any alternative at least in theory may be better than not having what they are used to. Of course, this may also work against the Night Elves and lead to other issues.

Dependency seems to be a major theme of Elves in Warcraft, so it's fine. The Blood Elves were dependent on magic, and one of the ways this was shown in their starting area was by having a special herb called Bloodthistle.

Night Elves are often egotistical about their history and importance, and that gives them a great emotional attachment to what they are. Kind of like how Illidan looked down on Arthas when they first met because he was an undead human. Or when Malfurion met Thrall, Jaina and Medivh and asked, "Who are you to help us?"(to paraphrase). And...yeah. Tyrande. Enough said.

Edit: I'll add what I seem to have forgotten: Wisps gather wood and seem to convert the tree's effort to grow into lumber for the Night Elves. While there are not many Wisps around now, there may be ways to fix that. If there are more Wisps, there's more energy in the NEs' supplies; perhaps some can be directed into a reverse process of getting it, creating a fruit, berry, or something useful that can safely be ingested to supplement the energy NE's are as individuals used to having day to day, before the World Tree was injured?

The wisp population is fine. It's just that the Night Elves don't treat them as property, but as allies. When a time of need arises, they go out and catch the wisps in the forest. There's a quest that shows this in Feralas.

As for the thread title....Night Elves aren't broken.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Well, "balance" in your example (from what I recall of that thread) was in the sense of leaving behind what it meant to be human, and instead operate in the grander scope of things. Be part of the world, instead of being a person in the world type deal.

Which is all well and good for a person, but horrible for people.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Not quite, though I know that was a long time ago now.

"Balance" being living in balance.

"Separation from the ego" being a letting go of the image of the self, and therefore, the need to hold onto your own life. To put the universe and those in it ahead of yourself, I suppose. To not be concerned with how you change your environment, as leaving a mark on society is our natural way of obtaining immortality as a memory....even if it's a memory we can't take with us.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Again, good for a person, bad for people.

Just my opinion, of course.
Edited by Ferlion on 12/3/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
If it was a good decision for the people, then he should be able to explain that to everyone, including his wife. From what we've seen however, either they don't know, or care.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
I think Malfurion's concept of balance is inherently flawed, considering he's still immortal when it comes down to it. The only difference is when he dies, he just has to make sure his spirit is in the Emerald Dream.

We already know spirits in the emerald dream stay there and continue life if the body is destroyed.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue

I can only assume by "strength" you mean "immortality". In which case, I disagree. I personally think the whole immortality angle is to deal with the themes of Night Elves having to let go of the image of the self, the ego, and find balance and enlightenment. Malfurion has done this, but it just pisses everyone else off because he makes decisions that to others seem disloyal or illogical...when really he's just looking at the big picture.

I really don't see what the 'big picture' here really amounts to.

Frankly the idea that it's just to teach them a lesson in humility makes him even more disgusting and disturbing as a character.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

Frankly the idea that it's just to teach them a lesson in humility makes him even more disgusting and disturbing as a character.

It makes him a hypocrite.

" I think my people need to be more humble, so I'm going to make a decision that chooses how they live, since I'm so humble... That's humble, right guys? Guys? No? Well, screw you. I'm banging my wife in tiger form. The barbs keep her from getting lippy. So It's not like she'll object"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Seeing as how the draenei are effectively immortal, and the death knights and forsaken aren't crazy or evil BECAUSE of immortality, i can't understand Malfurion's arguement. The only arrogant people that wanted immortality were Maiev, who's crazy, and Staghelm. All the Night Elves did was live on a corrupted tree that they've been trying to cure. They are a part of the Alliance and have been helping out the world. So what arrogance?
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Caring more about themselves than nature... Which is causing a schism between not only the Alliance and the Night Elven druids, but I'm betting it's going to cause issues with the Night Elves as well.

I hope the mirrors between the Highborne of old and modern day druids are highlighted in the Azshara expansion....

But I doubt it, since Malfurion's probably going to push tyrande out of the spotlight.

Tyrande being the replacement queen for Azshara in the eyes of hte naga doesn't really work anymore now that Tyrande isn't the sole ruler of the Kaldorei.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/03/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Noitora
Seeing as how the draenei are effectively immortal, and the death knights and forsaken aren't crazy or evil BECAUSE of immortality, i can't understand Malfurion's arguement. The only arrogant people that wanted immortality were Maiev, who's crazy, and Staghelm. All the Night Elves did was live on a corrupted tree that they've been trying to cure. They are a part of the Alliance and have been helping out the world. So what arrogance?

They think they're better then the flowers they take care of. THE ARROGANCE!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

That's not the case at all. The big picture would be the cycle of life, and their place in it.

It's not about humility, it's about letting go of the ego(which I think people tend to take the word the wrong way when I use it. I don't mean "the ego" as in they are egotistical--I mean "the ego" as in their acknowledgement that they are an individual. It's the difference between thinking inward and thinking outward).

People are born, they live, and they die...returning to nature(which isn't just a theme about trees and animals by the way). Malfurion believes standing in the way of this process is heresy. This is why he likely views immortality's loss as a "selfish act".

And remember: The idea behind them regaining their immortality after the War of the Ancients wasn't so much a reward as it was a sacred duty placed upon them. They were meant to be immortal caretakers of the world. Since it took all of the races in WCIII to fulfil that duty, it no longer made sense that only Night Elves would have that boon if they couldn't do it on their own.

And so, the Night Elves and the Druids in general made the decision to stay in the waking world so that they could find their way in the new world. Unfortunately, Staghelm spear-headed the opinion that they deserved their immortality back because none of them wanted to die of old age. Unable to convince his people otherwise, Malfurion went back to the Emerald Dream and distanced himself from them. He's back, now, and a lot of people still disagree with him, which is a major theme of contention in the race.

I think Malfurion's concept of balance is inherently flawed, considering he's still immortal when it comes down to it. The only difference is when he dies, he just has to make sure his spirit is in the Emerald Dream.

We already know spirits in the emerald dream stay there and continue life if the body is destroyed.

This is true. Knowing Blizzard though, if he did die, they would probably have him as a character vanish and just say "he has become one with Azeroth", or something.

Seeing as how the Last Emperor of Pandaria achieved actual enlightenment and became "one with Pandaria" after he acknowledged that Pandaria was more than just the Pandaren, I would think the same thing would happen to Malfurion and Kalimdor(at the very least). After all, there's no denying the Japanese influences with the Night Elves, just like there's no denying the Chinese themes with the Pandaren....even if the Night Elves aren't quite as "Asian".
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
So... the real question is do you think Malfurion will ever suffer from this decision and attitude, or will everyone else be painted as evil and foolish?

And... Can I just say the whole Fandral thing was stupid as hell?

I mean, first you have a race that protects this big bad magic well. Without protection, it can be tapped for evil purposes.

So, after new people and potential abusers come to their land, the answer is to......run as far away from said well as possible and living in a giant tree grown by a dude who deliberately pissed the dragons off and telling them to go screw themselves? Because what, he thought they would rebless it?
Edited by Ferlion on 12/3/2012 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/03/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Ferlion
So... the real question is do you think Malfurion will ever suffer from this decision and attitude, or will everyone else be painted as evil and foolish?

He suffers all the time. Him and Tyrande fight like a dysfunctional family. Not all of his people trust him. Even in the starting area, there's a few Night Elves who talk about his return being suspicious.

And this theme started in vanilla, it just wasn't so prevalent. He allowed Tauren into the Cenarion Circle, and if I recall correctly Staghelm opposed it.

I think Malfurion's real character flaw here isn't so much that he wants to impose his beliefs on people. It's that he does it but doesn't want to explain it in detail. He has a good heart, but he also has a messiah complex---so how could he actually obtain balance?

The answer is I don't think he should be able to as a character. Except, Blizzard doesn't view him the same way we do. They just didn't think him through when they created him as the fans did--and you can't blame them on that part.

Night Elf fans tend to be a bit vocal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/03/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Ferlion
So, after new people and potential abusers come to their land, the answer is to......run as far away from said well as possible and living in a giant tree grown by a dude who deliberately pissed the dragons off and telling them to go screw themselves? Because what, he thought they would rebless it?

We're talking about a game here where they put the Argent Tournament in Icecrown, to host a tourney RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCOURGE STRONGHOLD, because it wouldn't technically work very well underneath resource-hog Dalaran.

How do you think Teldrassil would have faired if they put it on Kalimdor?

I could totally see Horde players complaining about how they auto-flew right into a damn Alliance capital though. That'd be pretty funny.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/03/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Draile
He suffers all the time. Him and Tyrande fight like a dysfunctional family. Not all of his people trust him. Even in the starting area, there's a few Night Elves who talk about his return being suspicious.

This is Malfurion's response to everything. NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7S8B3WGpA
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]