Tanking Tanked: Drink Up! 5.4 Ready

90 Pandaren Monk
Brewmaster! Time to bring out your finest. This guide has been overhauled and its information condensed. I hope you enjoy it. I've certainly put a lot of work into it!

Do you wish to know more about the patches for this expansion? Look no further!
Patch 5.1 Notes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7922040/51_Landfall_Patch_Notes-11_27_2012
Patch 5.2 Notes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552#class_monk
Patch 5.3 Notes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9679398/#monk
Patch 5.4 Notes: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10788364/54_Patch_Notes_Siege_of_Orgrimmar_-9_9_2013#monk

This guide is meant to cover everything. I give you our basic tools, and how you should use them. You know, things you'll learn while reading the guide. That said, it's likely not perfect, and I may have jumbled up my words here and there. If I have made a mistake please let me know!

About me:
I'm Zeg. I spend a ton of time here on the monk forum lurking (and often posting) for brewmaster posts. I've been playing the monk since the third wave of beta invites. I've spent countless hours reading discussions, contributing, and following the class since it was announced. I can be snarky at times, but I mean well. And after spending a lot of time answering the same questions over and over for other players, I decided to write my own guide for this.

My goal for this guide is so that other players can read and feel like they learned something and then apply it, and improve. We're a brand new class, and I feel like there's a lot of potential here.

I will admit, there is still plenty I'm learning. I learn something nifty everyday I log in and do some dungeons, questing, and dueling. This is the sum of the things I have learned, and will always be a work in progress.

Anything else?
I hope this guide answers (and prevents) the frequent posts of "new brewmaster here, how am I doing/what do?" and gives those still leveling (or wanting to level) a brewmaster a better grasp of what they're getting into.

I'll be pulling the tooltips directly from wowhead and commenting on them where appropriate as we go along.

Sit down with a drink, it's time to do work.

Table of Contents
1a. Primary Abilities: Let's Get Hammered!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950#2
  • Blackout Kick
  • Clash
  • Dizzying Haze
  • Expel Harm
  • Guard
  • Jab
  • Keg Smash
  • Provoke
  • Purifying Brew
  • Summon Black Ox Statue
  • Tiger Palm
  • 1b. Cooldowns & You: The OH !@#$ Button
  • Avert Harm
  • Elusive Brew
  • Fortifying Brew
  • Nimble Brew
  • Grapple Weapon
  • 1c. Passive Abilities: Stay Awhile And Listen
  • Brewing: Elusive Brew
  • Brewmaster Training
  • Desperate Measures
  • Gift of the Ox
  • -
    2. Resources, Mechanics & Addons or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Keg
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#3
  • Class Resources
  • Mechanics
  • Addons
  • -
    3. Talents & Glyphs: The Bear Necessities
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#4
    Talents
    -Level 15
  • Celerity
  • Tiger's Lust
  • Momentum
  • -Level 30
  • Chi Wave
  • Zen Sphere
  • Chi Burst
  • -Level 45
  • Power Strikes
  • Ascension
  • Chi Brew
  • -Level 60
  • Ring of Peace
  • Charging Ox Wave
  • Leg Sweep
  • -Level 75
  • Healing Elixirs
  • Dampen harm
  • Diffuse Magic
  • -Level90
  • Rushing Jade Wind
  • Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger
  • Chi Torpedo
  • -
    Glyphs
  • Clash
  • Fortifying Brew
  • Guard
  • Spinning Crane Kick
  • Touch of Death
  • Transcendence
  • -
    4. Building A Better Brewmaster: Harder Better Faster Stronger
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#5
  • Stats & Builds
  • Dual Wielding versus Two-handed weapons
  • -
    5. The Secrets of the Drunken Fist: From The First Pull To The Last
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#6
  • Pull That Boss Like You Mean It: A How To
  • One Last Call For Alcohol: Other Classes & You
  • Closing Time
  • Edited by Zegreiart on 9/12/2013 5:41 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    1a. Primary Abilities: Let's Get Hammered!
    Need to go back to the top? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#1

This is a long rundown of every one of our more important abilities that we will use for tanking. It's very straightforward, and moderately painless. I'll explain each ability and how they work together in its own section further down in the guide.

Blackout Kick - Buff, Chi Consumer, Damage
    Learned at level 7, 2 Chi, Melee Range, Instant.
    Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing X to X physical damage. Also causes you to gain Shuffle, increasing your parry chance by 20% and your Stagger amount by an additional 20% for 6 seconds.

Brewmaster Training
    After you Blackout Kick, you gain Shuffle, increasing your parry chance by 20% and your Stagger amount by an additional 20% for 6 sec.

Clash
    Learned at level 18, 8-40 yd range, 35 sec cooldown, Instant cast, Requires Ox Stance.
    You and the target charge each other, meeting halfway then stunning all targets within 6 yards.

Dizzying Haze - Debuff
    Learned at level 10, 20 Energy, 40 yd range, Instant, Requires Ox Stance.
    You hurl a keg of your finest brew, reducing the movement speed of all enemies within 8 yards by 50% for 15 sec. Deals a high amount of threat.

Affected targets have a 3% chance to have their melee attacks misfire and strike themselves instead for X damage.

Expel Harm - Chi Generation, Cooldown, Damage, Healing
    Learned at level 26, 40 Energy, Instant, 15 sec cooldown.
    Instantly heals yourself for X, and causes 50% of the amount healed to instantly be dealt to a nearby enemy as damage within 10 yards. Generates 1 Chi.

Jab - Chi Generation, Damage (lol)
    Learned at level 1, 40 Energy, Melee Range, Instant.
    You Jab the target, dealing X damage and generating 1 Chi.

Note: Engineers! Macro your glove tinker to jab for good times so that the tinker is always up as often as possible.

#showtooltip Jab
    /use 10
    /cast Jab

Keg Smash - Chi Generation, Cooldown, Damage, Debuff
    Learned at level 11, 40 Energy, Instant, 8 sec cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    You swing a keg of brew, dealing X damage to up to nearby enemies within 8 yards. Also drenches the target in your Dizzying Haze and applies the Weakened Blows effect. Generates 2 Chi.

Dizzying Haze
    Reduces the movement speed of all enemies within 8 yards by 50% for 15 sec and affected targets have a 3% chance to have their melee attacks misfire and strike themselves instead for X damage.

Weakened Blows
    Reduces physical damage dealt by 10%.
    Duration: 30 seconds

Provoke - Cooldown, Debuff
    Learned at level 14, 40 yd range, Instant, 8 sec cooldown.
    You mock the target, causing them to rush towards you with a 50% increased movement speed.

Brewmaster
    If targeting your Statue of the Black Ox, you Provoke all enemies within an 8 yard radius of your statue.

Purifying Brew - Chi Consumer, Healing
    Learned at level 75, 1 Chi, Instant Cast, 1 sec cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    Instantly purifies all of your staggered damage.

Tiger Palm - Buff, Damage
    Learned at level 3, Melee Range, Instant.
    Attack with the palm of your hand, dealing X damage.

Also grants you Tiger Power, causing your attacks to ignore 30% of enemies' armor for 20 sec.

Brewmaster Training
    Tiger Palm no longer costs Chi, and when you deal damage with Tiger Palm the amount of your next Guard is increased by 15%. Lasts 30 sec.

Guard - Buff, Chi Consumer, Cooldown, Defensive, Healing
    Learned at level 26, 2 Chi, Instant Cast, 30 sec cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    You Guard against future attacks, absorbing X damage for 30 sec.

Any heals you apply to yourself while Guarding are increased by 30%.

Summon Black Ox Statue - Buff, Cooldown, Defensive
    Learned at level 70, 40 yd range, Instant, 30 sec Cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    Summons a Black Ox Statue at the target location. Lasts for 15 min. Only one Black Ox Statue can be summoned at any one time.

Sanctuary of the Ox (Passive)
    Everytime the Monk deals X damage, the Black Ox statue will cast Guard on an injured party or raid member within 40 yards absorbing X damage lasting 30 sec. This effect cannot be cast onto the Monk.

The Black Ox Statue interacts with your Provoke and Leer of the Ox abilities.

Note: Here's a macro for all you keybinding types taken from the wowhead comments: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115315#comments

/tar [mod:shift] Black Ox Statue
    /cast [mod:ctrl,@focus][] Provoke
    /targetlasttarget [mod:shift]

For example my keybind for taunt is F. If I hold Shift+F I get an aoe taunt. The second line is for a focus target. Holding Ctrl+F will taunt your focus instead. Using no modifiers will just taunt your target as normal. If you use this macro ensure you don't use ctrl or shift and your current keybind for anything else or it will not fire.

1b. Cooldowns: The OH !@#$ Button
    Avert Harm - Buff, Cooldown, Defensive
    Learned at level 48, Instant, 3 min Cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    You cause 20% of all damage party and raid members within 10 yards take to be re-directed to you. Lasts for 6 sec. The damage received through Avert Harm can be Staggered. Avert Harm is cancelled if you reach 10% or lower health.

Elusive Brew - Buff, Cooldown, Defensive, Healing
    Learned at level 36, Instant, 9 sec cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 30% for 1 sec per stack of Elusive Brew active, consuming your Elusive Brew charges.

Note: If you use the talent Healing Elixirs, using Elusive Brew will trigger the heal.

Fortifying Brew - Cooldown, Defensive
    Learned at level 24, Instant, 3 min cooldown, Requires Ox Stance.
    Turns your skin to stone, increasing your health by 20%, and reducing damage taken by 20%. Lasts 20 sec.

Brewmaster Training
    Also increases your Stagger amount by 20% while active.

Grapple Weapon - Buff, Defensive, Offensive
    Learned at level 68, 40 yd range, Instant, 1 min cooldown.
    You fire off a rope spear, grappling the target's weapons and shield, returning them to you for 10 sec.

If you steal a better main-hand weapon, your damage or healing will be increased by 5% or damage taken reduced by 5%.

Nimble Brew - Buff Cooldown, Defensive
    Learned at level 30, Instant, 2 min cooldown.
    Clears you of all root, stun, fear and horror effects and reduces the duration of future such effects by 60% for 6 sec.

Zen Meditation - Buff, Cooldown, Defensive
    Learned at level 82, Channeled, 3 min cooldown.
    Reduces all damage taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 harmful spells cast against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 sec.

Being the victim of a melee attack will break your meditation, cancelling the effect.

1c. Passive Abilities: Zzzzz
    Brewing: Elusive Brew - Buff, Passive
    Learned at level 36, Passive.
    Your autoattack critical strikes grant up to 3 charges of Elusive Brew, based on weapon speed. Use Elusive Brew to consume the charges.

Elusive Brew can stack up to 15 times.

The formula for charge generation:
    1H: [1.5*WeaponSpeed/2.6]
    2H: [3.0*WeaponSpeed/3.6]

Brewmaster Training - Passive
    Learned at level 34, Passive.
    You become adept in the ways of the Brewmaster, amplifying four of your abilities.

Spear Hand Strike
    Spear Hand Strike no longer costs Energy.

Fortifying Brew
    Also increases your Stagger amount by 20% while active.

Tiger Palm
    Tiger Palm no longer costs Chi, and when you deal damage with Tiger Palm the amount of your next Guard is increased by 15%. Lasts 30 sec.

Blackout Kick
    After you Blackout Kick, you gain Shuffle, increasing your parry chance by 20% and your Stagger amount by an additional 20% for 6 sec.

Desperate Measures - Healing, Passive
    Learned at level 45, Passive.
    While at or below 35% health, your Expel Harm has no cooldown.

Gift of the Ox - Healing, Passive
    Learned at level 56, Passive.
    You have a chance when you deal melee damage to summon a Healing Sphere at the side of you that only you can see.

When you move through your Healing Sphere summoned through Gift of the Ox, you heal yourself for X.

Gift of the Ox Formula
    Gift of the Ox can proc from all successful melee attack hits. On special attacks, it has a 10% proc chance.

On white hits:
    2H: [WeaponSpeed/25]%
    1H: [WeaponSpeed/50]%

For example, while dual wielding 2.6 sec speed fist weapons, each white hit will have a 5.2% chance to proc.
    Edited by Zegreiart on 8/28/2013 11:12 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    2. Class Resources, Mechanics, & Addons or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Keg
    Need to go back to the top? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=1#1

--------------------------------------
    Class Resources

Let's cover the basics of how we run: energy. Yep, energy. Like a rogue. Energy is very important to us. The more of it we have, the faster we can generate Chi.

It takes 450 rating to gain 1% haste. This means we scale with haste pretty well. Our Stance of the Sturdy Ox gives us 10% energy regeneration, which is ~1.35 e/sec. With all this energy income, we will spend it on the following abilities:

• Jab
  • Keg Smash
  • Expel Harm
  • -----------------------------

We spend this energy to build the second half of our resources: Chi. Yep, Chi. Like a... Uhm... We spend our energy on our offensive skills to generate Chi. Then we spend that Chi on our defenses so we don't splat everywhere.

• Blackout Kick
  • Guard
  • Purifying Brew
  • -----------------------------

This is the basis for playing a brewmaster monk.

So now lets look at a few things we can do wit this, namely accumulating Chi before a pull.

Chi Decay & Pre-pull Chi Generation:
    While out of combat, we lose 1 Chi every 11 or so seconds. That means we can use Expel Harm, or Chi Brew, for the Chi before a pull so they can begin cooling down before the fight has even started. It's kind of like pre-potting, except, we use it for a defensive upper hand!

But is it really worth it? Absolutely! Expel Harm will have about 4 seconds left before you lose the Chi it generated.

The only downside (if you could even call it that) is that Expel Harm will be on CD as you start the fight.

The Other Side of Tanking

Lets move on to another important part to tanking: Vengeance.

Vengeance
    Each time you take damage, you gain 2% of the unmitigated damage taken as attack power for 20 sec.

This gives us quite a bit of power. Our damaging abilities, our healing capabilities, and even Guard scale with attack power. Vengeance makes these abilities.

While in our tanking specialization (Brewmaster), we generate 40% more threat in addition to gaining Attack Power equal to 1.5% of the damage taken.

Standing in the fire doesn't give us Vengeance nor does a missed attack from the boss, however dodging and parrying an attack will give us Vengeance.

Mechanics

Let's move on to our tanking mechanic: Stagger.
    Stagger
    You shrug off physical attacks, causing 80% of the damage to happen instantly and the remaining 20% to be divided over 10 sec.

So while in our tanking stance we're at an 80/20 damage split. We take 80% of the remaining damage (a hit that was reduced by armor and our stance) and then stagger 20% of it. This is never a good idea in terms of how to take a hit. Avoid tanking with the 80/20 split however possible. Guard or Elusive Brew should be active if something happens and you can't get Shuffle up.

And with Shuffle up we stagger an additional 20% of the damage we take, meaning we take 60% of every hit, staggering the other 40% as a dot over 10 seconds. Unless we purify, we're consistently taking damage.

We can smooth out large hits or one seriously dangerous hit with mastery and Fortifying Brew. Fortifying Brew helps us stagger an additional 20% more damage, and with our mastery: Elusive Brawler, we can add more damage to our staggered amount based on whatever percentage our mastery is at.

So if we're in trouble, we're going to take 40% of the hit (which is further reduced by the damage reduction that Fortifying Brew provides) and stagger the remaining 60%. Impressive, no?

Remember: Shuffle is worth 20% stagger, Fortifying Brew is worth another 20%. These effects are additive.

Now let's look at different colors of our stagger amount. The page I quoted from no longer exists, but here's the quote:

The color is purely for display purposes, to give you a quick indication of how strong the Stagger DoT currently is. The logic for the colors is based on the damage per tick as a % of your max health. Red means >6%, Yellow means >3%, Green means >0%.

This is vague and really doesn't tell you much. Though, now that you know what the thresholds are, hopefully you better understand how much of your health you're constantly losing.

This is our primary tanking mechanic. Stagger is how we shrug off an attack that might otherwise kill us.

If heavy physical damage is causing you issues, pick up some more mastery to help smooth the damage out. At that point, you're only limited to how much haste (e/sec) you've got to purify the extra damage, but it's miles ahead of stacking stamina.

Stamina for heavy magic damage fights, but only if it's blowing you to pieces and your CDs aren't enough. Which, should be fairly rare given how powerful our personal CDs are.

If you would like to learn some history on the topic, go find Drunken Master or The Legend of Drunken Master. Jackie Chan perfected the art. Study up!

Addons

I use TellMeWhen to track my buffs. I don't like all the flashy bars filling up my screen when I'm trying to nurse my beer. You can track pretty much everything with this.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tellmewhen

Below are my timers I have set up to tank with. All you have to do is copy and paste from the ^1 to the ^^ and paste it in the import/export at the bottom of the addon when you're in-game.

This string will show you Shuffle, Keg Smash (CD and if you have the energy or not for it. If you don't it will be slightly transparent), Expel Harm (does the same as Keg Smash), and Guard (checks to see if you have the Chi for it, and shows CD)

^1^T^SPoint^T ^Sy^F6079153683417995 ^f-44^Sx ^F5483501429942795^f-44 ^Spoint^STOPLEFT ^SrelativePoint^SBOTTOMLEFT ^t^SScale^F4522369478817311 ^f-51^SRows ^N4^SEnabled ^B^STree2 ^b^SIcons ^T^N1^T ^SType^Sbuff ^SName^S115307 ^SCustomTex^S115307 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^N2^T ^SType^Scooldown ^SName^SKeg~`Smash ^SManaCheck^B ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SUnAlpha^N0.52 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^N3^T ^SType^Scooldown ^SName^SExpel~`Harm ^SManaCheck^B ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SUnAlpha^N0.52 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^N4^T ^SType^Scooldown ^SName^SGuard ^SManaCheck^B ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SUnAlpha^N0.52 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^t^SColumns^N1 ^SName^SPrimary~`Ability~`CDs ^STree3^b ^t^N60447^S~`~| ^Sgroup^N1 ^^

The string below will show how many Elusive Brew charges you have, the CD on Elusive Brew, and how many stacks of Power Guard are currently up

^1^T^SPoint^T ^Sy^F6991171295154538 ^f-47^Sx ^F-6470265563208446^f-45 ^t^SScale^F5779618761154217 ^f-52^SRows ^N4^SEnabled ^B^STree2 ^b^SIcons ^T^N1^T ^SType^Sbuff ^SName^S128939 ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SOnlyMine^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^N2^T ^SType^Scooldown ^SName^S115308 ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SShowTimerText^B ^SEnabled^B ^t^N3^T ^SType^Sbuff ^SShowTimerText^B ^SName^SPower~`Guard ^SShowWhen^N3 ^SCustomTex^S118636 ^SEnabled^B ^t^t^SColumns^N1 ^SName^SBuffs ^STree3^b ^t^N60447^S~`~| ^Sgroup^N2 ^^

Weakauras is another way to track your buffs, debuffs, and their durations. I am not exactly familiar with this, so I cannot help you personally set this up. I can, however, link you to Sunnier's blog where there are some Weakauras strings.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/weakauras
    http://sunniersartofwar.com/blog/2012/10/01/brewmaster-weak-auras/

Another potentially great addon is StaggerMeter. It has several options that will help you gauge your stagger in different ways. If the author keeps tinkering with it and improving, it could become a highly used addon. Maybe even as good as Brewmaster Tao.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/staggermeter
    Edited by Zegreiart on 12/5/2013 10:38 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    3. Talents & Glyphs: The Bear Necessities

Talents

I'm going to break down our talents, and share with you any neat little secrets I've picked up so far. Grab another drink, it's gonna get good.

IMPORTANT!: With Mists of Pandaria, our talents are very direct. Each one is pretty unique in its own right. That said, there are no "one spec to rule them all" kind of talent builds anymore. You should always be swapping out your talents to better suit the fight. Always.

Level15
    I run Momentum from this group.

Celerity - Passive
    Allows you to Roll and Chi Torpedo more often, increases their maximum number of charges by 1, and reduces their cooldown by 5 sec.

Tiger's Lust - Movement
    20 yd range, Instant cast, 30 sec cooldown
    Instantly clears the target of all immobilizing and movement impairing effects, and increases their movement speed by 70% for 6 sec.

Momentum - Passive
    Every time you Roll or Chi Torpedo, your movement speed is increased by 25% for 10 sec. Stacks up to 2 times.

Level 30
    Pretty much to taste, in my opinion. Chi Wave is strong burst healing and Chi Burst is a very powerful group healing tool. Zen Sphere, while the explosion I feel is pretty strong, doesn't really compete with the other two. Again, this tier is up to you to try out for yourself and use what you feel is best.

Chi Wave - Damage, Healing
    40 yd range, Instant cast, 8 sec cooldown
    You cause a wave of Chi energy to flow through friend and foe, dealing X damage or Y healing. Bounces up to 7 times to the nearest targets within 20 yards.

When bouncing to allies, Chi Wave will prefer those injured over full health.

Zen Sphere - Damage, Healing
    40 yd range, Instant cast
    Forms a Zen Sphere above the target, healing the target for X and dealing Y damage to the nearest enemy within 10 yards of the target every 2 sec for 16 sec. Only two Zen Sphere can be summoned at any one time.

If the target of the Zen Sphere reaches 35% or lower health or if the Zen Sphere is dispelled or expires it will detonate, dealing Nature damage and healing to all targets within 10 yards.

Chi Burst - Damage, Healing
    40 yd range, 1 sec cast. 30 sec CD
    Deals X damage to all enemies, and Y healing to all allies in its path. Chi Burst will always heal the Monk.

While casting Chi Burst, you continue to dodge, parry, and auto-attack.

Level 45
    Varies to taste.
    Note: If you're under 7k haste, use Power Strikes (basically what you're going to want to use while leveling). If you're at or over 7k haste, run Ascension.

The reason for this is, is that Ascension scales with any haste buff you may receive either by trinket or lust/hero. That said, any haste rating past 8k is NOT worth it, as you will find you have more energy than you can reasonably spend.

Power Strikes is effective e/sec in the form of Chi, in addition to being a very slight (very, very slight) DPS increase.

You ideally want enough energy to use your abilities with some in reserve as a just in case. That said there is no magic number. Each player is different and he or she will find a value that best suits their personal taste. So ultimately, it's a choice of what your gear is set up for.

And then there's Chi Brew. This monster of a talent is on demand Chi and EB charges. My talent of choice. I enjoy on demand far more than I do passive talents.

Power Strikes - Chi Generator, Passive
    The Power Strikes talent now grants the Power Strikes effect every 20 seconds, which causes the Monk's next attack to generate 1 additional Chi.

If you are already at maximum Chi, a Chi Sphere will be summoned near you.

Note: Power Strikes will now activate from the following Chi generating abilities; Jab, Expel Harm, Spinning Crane Kick (when it hits at least 3 targets), Crackling Jade Lightning, and Soothing Mist.

Ascension - Passive
    Increases your maximum Chi by 1, your maximum mana by 15%, and your energy regen by 15%.

Chi Brew - Chi Generator, Cooldown
    45 sec CD
    Chi Brew now restores 2 Chi, and generate stacks of Brew/Teas based on the Monk's specialization.

Note: Brewmasters gain 5 charges of Elusive Brew when used. This talent has 2 uses per use CD.

Level 60
    This is dependent on content you're working on. I can't say I have one I use more than the others.

Ring of Peace - Passive
    Instant, 40 yd range, 45 sec cooldown
    Forms a sanctuary around the friendly target, instantly silencing and disarming all enemies for 3 sec. In addition, enemies who attack or cast spells on allies within the ring of peace will be disarmed and silenced for an additional 3 sec. Ring of Peace lasts for 8 sec.

Disarm and silence effects are subject to diminishing returns.

Charging Ox Wave - Cooldown, Defensive
    Instant, 30 sec cooldown
    A mighty Ox effigy rushes forward 30 yards in front of you, stunning all enemies within its path for 3 sec.

Leg Sweep - Cooldown, Defensive
    Instant, 45 sec cooldown
    You knock down all enemies within 5 yards, effectively stunning them for 5 sec.

Level 75
    Normally Dampen Harm or Diffuse Magic. Healing Elixirs if I'm soloing Cata raids or earlier content, unless one of the other two can cheese an encounter.

Healing Elixirs - Healing
    Anytime you drink from a Brew or Tea, you gain 15% of your total health. This effect cannot occur more than once every 18 sec.

Note: This ability is vague on what triggers the healing effect. So here's what does it:
    Elusive Brew
    Fortifying Brew
    Purifying Brew

Note: Healing Elixirs will no longer activate if the Monk is already at full health, and activate automatically when the Monk has less than 35% of their maximum health.

Dampen Harm - Cooldown, Defensive
    Instant, 1.5 min cooldown
    You dampen the damage from the most harmful attacks done to you. The next 3 attacks within 45 sec that deal damage equal to 20% or more of your total health are reduced in half.

Diffuse Magic - Cooldown, Defensive
    Instant, 1.5 min cooldown
    Reduces all spell damage taken by 90% and clears all magical effects on you, reversing them back to their original caster if within 40 yards if possible. Lasts for 6 sec.

Level 90
    RJW for large amounts of AoE. Xuen for single target burst. Chi Torpedo when neither of the other two scenarios will be present.

Rushing Jade Wind - Buff, Chi Consumer, Cooldown, Damage
    40 energy, Instant cast, 6 sec cooldown
    The Monk summons a whirling tornado around them, dealing damage to nearby enemies. Rushing Jade Wind has the same costs, Chi generation, and periodic rate as Spinning Crane kick, lasts 6 seconds. Replaces Spinning Crane Kick.

Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger - Cooldown, Damage, Offensive
    40 yd range, Instant, 3 min cooldown
    Invokes the White Tiger Celestial, summoning an effigy at the command of the caster. The effigy will assist you, attacking your primary target and also inflicting tiger lightning every 6 sec to 3 nearby enemies within 10 yards dealing X damage over 5 sec. Lasts for 45 sec.

Brewmaster
    Brewmaster Monks now gain Vengeance when Xuen takes damage.

Note: Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger now has a pet control bar for Xuen, and the talent is no longer on global cooldown for all Monk specializations.

So much lost potential: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=132013

Chi Torpedo - Damage, Healing
    Instant
    Torpedo a distance in front of you, dealing 1671 to 1941 damage to all enemies and 2053 healing to all allies in your path.

Chi Torpedo replaces Roll.

Glyphs

I'll have to update this. The times, they are a-changin'.
    Edited by Zegreiart on 3/21/2014 3:06 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    4. Building A Better Brewmaster: Harder Better Faster Stronger

Stats & Builds

Stats
    Lets look at the stats required to get into heroics and raids.

Hit @ level 90
    Heroics: 6% hit rating
    Raiding 7.50% hit rating
    Rating for 1%: 340

Expertise @ level 90
    Heroics: 6% expertise rating
    Raiding 7.50% (or 15%) expertise rating
    Rating for 1%: 340

It is imperative that you are at the hit and expertise ratings when you go into a heroic or raid. There is no reason not to be. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Note: I want to expand and clarify a little on this, because it does come up. 7.50% expertise is enough to make sure that your attacks are never dodged. They can, however, be parried. Will this kill you outright and cause you to stress yourself to death? No. There is nothing wrong with reforging and stopping at 7.50% Expertise.

Why do some folks shoot for 15% then? Reliable Chi generation. When you Keg Smash at 15% expertise, it will always connect against the target you're in melee with. You are going to get your 2 Chi and go about business as usual. You are guaranteed Chi every time you use a Chi generating ability. This will give you quite a bit of Shuffle uptime. A parried Keg Smash can set you into panic mode if Shuffle is close to falling off.

Builds

In this section we'll look at a haste build and a crit build. But before we get to the builds themselves, let's talk about haste and crit. Presently, we run as much haste as we can, because it helps us generate Chi faster. However, once we reach a certain amount of haste, 8,000 I think, its effectiveness diminishes quickly. It is not worth going past this number.

That said, some people have a range of haste that they feel is enough for their playstyle. This is ok. But what happens after you've reached this point? Well, as your gear improves, you're going to see that you'll have more haste than you know what to do with, so we're going to funnel it into critical strike. The less haste you can get away with using, the more you open up to crit stacking. That said, find your comfort zone for haste. Once you're there, go for crit.

The Pro's & Con's are snipped from http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950?page=5#94 Thanks, Advanced!

That said, lets look at a haste build now.

Haste

Rating for +1 e/sec: 3750

Haste affects everything we do in small ways. It provides increased energy regeneration, and attack speed (which in turn affects auto-attack speed for more attempts to crit for more Elusive Brew charges, provides DPS which works towards proccing our Statue's Guard, and helps to proc more Gift of the Ox orbs).

Pros & Cons
    Pros
    -Chi generation
    -Gift of the Ox Orbs
    -Damage (Raid Guarding)
    -Mitigation through Chi spending

Cons
    -Attention
    -Very active, you're always doing something

Stats
    Haste is all about getting as much of it as possible. We're looking at a stat priority that goes like this:
    Hit > Expertise > Haste > Crit > Parry > Dodge > Mastery

Gemming
    Pretty straight forward. I'm going to go right down our character sheet.
    Meta:
    Agile Primal Diamond
    Blue:
    Rigid River's Heart if you don't need the hit, go after a hybrid gem.
    Red:
    Precise Primordial Ruby otherwise go with an orange gem.
    Yellow:
    Quick Sun's Radiance
    Purple:
    Accurate Imperial Amethyst for hit/exp.
    Guardian's Imperial Amethyst if you just need expertise.
    Green:
    Forceful Wild Jade
    Orange:
    If you don't need anymore expertise, go with Deft Vermilion Onyx. If you still need a little more expertise, Wicked Vermilion Onyx. These should only be used in red sockets if you can help it.

Now, lets look at what a crit build will look like:

Crit

Rating for 1%: 600
    Agility for 1%: 1259

Crit gives us DPS (which translates into faster Statue Guard procs) and Elusive Brew charges.

Pros & Cons
    Pros
    -EB stacking (physical mitigation)
    -Damage (Raid Healing)
    -Lots of damage

Cons
    -EB only useful on physical mitigation fights.

Stats
    Crit works much like an avoidance build, and deals some damage while doing it. We're looking at a stat priority that goes like this:
    Hit > Expertise > Crit > Haste > Mastery > Parry > Dodge

Gemming
    Pretty straight forward. I'm going to go right down our character sheet.
    Meta
    Agile Primal Diamond
    Blue:
    Rigid River's Heart if you don't need the hit, go after a purple or green gem.
    Red:
    Precise Primordial Ruby
    Yellow:
    Smooth Sun's Radiance
    Purple:
    Accurate Imperial Amethyst if you still need hit/exp.
    Guardian's Imperial Amethyst if you just need expertise.
    Green:
    Jagged Wild Jade
    Piercing Wild Jade
    Orange:
    Crafty Vermilion Onyx
    Deadly Vermilion Onyx

-

Enchants
    Now that we have our builds in order, we gotta get our gear enchanted! Below are the enchants that you should be using. I'll try to list as many as I can per piece of gear just in case one is expensive on your server.
    Shoulder
    Tiger Claw Inscription
    Greater Tiger Claw Inscription

Cloak
    Enchant Cloak - Accuracy
    Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike

Note: Enchant for hit if you need it.

Chest
    Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
    Enchant Chest - Superior Stamina

Note: Between these two it's largely a player choice. Whichever one you want.

Bracer
    Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility

Glove
    Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste
    Enchant Gloves - Superior Expertise

Note: I highly recommend you run the expertise enchant until you're well over 7.50% or 15%, whichever you choose shoot for.

Leg Armor
    Sha-Touched Leg Armor
    Shadowleather Leg Armor

Boot
    Enchant Boots - Blurred Speed

-

Dual Wielding versus Two Handed Weapons

I often see questions asking "Do I 2H or DW?" Well, let me break that down and get it out of the way.

Dual-wielding
    Pros:
    -Consistent Elusive Brew charges
    -Double the enchants

Cons:
    -Not as many stats as a 2H
    -Not as many Gift of the Ox orbs

Two-handed
    Pros:
    -More stats than Dual-wielding
    -Generates more Gift of the Ox orbs

Cons:
    -Only one enchant
    -Infrequent Elusive Brew charges (it is very erratic)

Basically, you're going to always want whichever set of weapons has the highest item level.
    -If you have a pair of weapons that have a higher item level than your 2H, use them.
    -If your 2H is of a higher ilvl than your 1H weapons, use the 2H instead.
    -If they are the same item level, which do you want more of? Compare the pros and cons I've listed and pick whichever you like the sound of better. Generally, however, DWing is superior.

The differences are slight, despite how I made it sound. However, you're going to notice the EB and GotO differences between DWing and a 2H after awhile though.
    Edited by Zegreiart on 9/12/2013 5:31 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    5. The Secrets of the Drunken Fist: From The First Pull To The Last

Pull That Boss Like You Mean It: A How To

So lets talk about our abilities and how we should be using them.

We know that we have moves we spend energy on to generate Chi to spend on keeping our defenses up and running.

So lets talk about this for a minute and how they all come together now.

Chi generation:
    Keg Smash
    Jab
    Expel Harm (only if <=80% HP)
    Spinning Crane Kick (only if at least 3 targets are hit with it)

Chi expenditures:
    Blackout Kick
    Guard
    Purifying Brew

Keg Smash is our cleave/single target Atom Bomb. And is our primary Chi generator at 2 Chi per use every 8 seconds. Use this on cooldown. You should be setting up your energy expenditure to make sure you have enough to use it as soon as it’s up. This also comes back to the 7.50% and 15% expertise discussion. Keg Smash is your lifeline. You do not want a parried Keg Smash. Jab and Expel Harm are right behind it, Expel Harm being more important than Jab if you’re at or below 80% health.

We use Tiger Palm as our filler. It gives us Tiger Power with is 30% Armor Penetration and Power Guard which increases the size of our next Guard by 15%. This ability is so good, it’s not even funny.

Our Single Target priority is as follows:
  • Keg Smash
  • Blackout Kick
  • Tiger Palm
  • Jab
  • Fill your globals with Jab/Expel Harm as necessary, or Tiger Palm, until Keg Smash is about to come up, making sure you have the energy to use it again as soon as it’s up.

-

Now that we've established this, lets discuss our primary defensive cooldown: Elusive Brew.

Elusive Brew gives us a flat 30% dodge (does not suffer from diminishing returns) on a 9 second cooldown. The number of charges the ability has determines its duration. Personally, I use Elusive Brew at 5 to 6 charges, feel free to go up a few charges if you want to, but as your gear gets better and you start obtaining more crit, you'll build charges quickly. This way I have a nice window of high avoidance and it gives me time to build up more charges before it comes off cooldown.

Use it as soon as you have the charges unless you know a large physical hit is coming. Save it for that and use Guard. In addition, you may also use Dampen Harm if you feel the attack will be too much. You should always line up your strongest defensive abilities, and/or at least rotate them, to survive a massive attack.

If you're going to Guard, make sure you've used Tiger Palm at least once for the Power Guard buff. This will increase the amount Guard will absorb by 15%. This is a must. However, this should not ever be a problem since Tiger Palm is our filler, and should always be used when pooling energy.

Alternative Magic Encounter:

If the encounter is magic, substitute Dampen Harm with Diffuse Magic and glyph Guard. If the fight is like Lei Shi that just constantly spams magic damage and uses no physical attacks, use Zen Meditation; especially if you need to give your co-tank some breathing room to recover, or your healers.

Zen Meditation is incredibly powerful for what it does. It doesn't matter what kind of encounter it is Zen Meditation will reduce that damage by 90%, only breaking its channel if we're struck by a physical attack. That said, it is on a 3 minute cooldown. Make sure you understand the situation at hand before using such a powerful tool so it's not wasted.

Getting all that magical mumbo-jumbo out of the way! Lets look at an AoE pull.

AoE Chi generation:
    Keg Smash
    Rushing Jade Wind/Spinning Crane Kick

AoE Chi expenditure:
    Blackout Kick

Rushing Jade Wind is pretty ridiculous (as of this writing, I expect a nerf) for AoE. 40 energy, so with a moderate amount of haste you can keep your normal rotation going and weave in RJW. It deals considerable damage, generates Chi so long as it hits 3+ targets, and is fire and forget, lasting a few seconds, but allowing you to use other abilities. It is incredible. If you're on any kind of add duty for a fight, this is your talent to run. So. Much. Damage.

Start off with a Keg Smash into Blackout Kick, use Tiger Palm, then fall into Rushing Jade Wind/Spinning Crane Kick. Keep Shuffle running and Keg Smash on cooldown. If you have a few Elusive Brew charges, use them. Laugh as you wreck damage meters. And when I say wreck, I mean absolutely obliterate them.

AoE is a little easier. If the damage gets a little crazy, you can always pop a cooldown or Guard. You're going to be swimming in Chi with an AoE pull.

So, with an AoE pull, we want to:
  • Keg Smash on CD
  • Blackout Kick
  • Tiger Palm
  • Rushing Jade Wind/Spinning Crane Kick
  • While using Guard and Elusive Brew when necessary.

Alternatively: If you run Leg Sweep, use it! This will give you plenty of time to get your setup. If you can clash into the group to stun them all, it's even sweeter.

If you're able to lock the targets down, start off with Tiger Palm, and then start from Keg Smash and work your way down the list, skipping Tiger Palm since you opened with it.

Pre-potting

This is a big deal right here. Before you pull the boss, like seconds before, pop a Virmen's Bite. This way it goes on cooldown before the encounter, giving you another potion use for your burn phase.

You should always make sure you have a few stacks of them in your bags.

One Last Call For Alcohol: Other Classes & You

Let's look at some neat things other classes can do for us. Presently, the only two I know of are Druids and Paladins, but if I find anymore, I'll get them up here quickly!

Druids: Symbiosis gives us Survival Instincts- 2 Chi, 3 min cooldown, we take 25% less damage for 6 seconds. And it's not affected by the GCD.

Paladins: Hand of Purity- Places a Hand on the friendly target, reducing damage taken by 10% and damage from harmful periodic effects by an additional 70% for 6 sec. Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.

The periodic effect suppression affects Stagger. The 10% damage reduction is also nice. It's kind of a niche thing, but a cool one nonetheless.

Closing Time
    I hope you guys found this update enjoyable. It was certainly a labor of love. I'll do my best to keep things updated in the future. We are an amazing class! And I'm excited to see what happens in future expansions for us.
    Edited by Zegreiart on 9/12/2013 5:37 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    I can't resist the temptation to say "first!" for my first time ever on the internets.

That aside, that's a lot of reserved posts, I'll look forward to seeing this when it's done!
    Edited by Diematte on 11/20/2012 2:33 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Ha, yeah, I'm just disappointed with our current sticky. I mean, there are more and more posts asking for help, so I figured I'd opt to share my two cents with players who are just starting their adventure as a brewmaster or cutting their teeth on 90 heroics and/or raiding.

Gotta lotta work to do, and I hope this is helpful.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Can't wait to read it!
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Your tabard makes my eyes hurt...
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    http://i.imgur.com/jSjSC.jpg
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Monk
    Hi
    Reply Quote
    76 Dwarf Monk
    From my home server of Duckwood, no less! Hopefully you can bring some honor back to the server, lord knows it doesn't have any now. x.x'
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Thanks looks cool so far. Will give me something to read up on while at work tomorrow 8-)
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock
    Name of guide kindasorta plagiarised from:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/20/stagger-like-jagger-the-brewmaster-monk-101-guide/

:/ You should at least thank the writer of the stickies for the name (as he's also the writer of that guide on Joystiq).

That is, unless you honestly thought of it on your own. The world may never know.

That all said, I look forward to reading it. I mainly tank on my monk.
    Edited by Renfeild on 11/20/2012 5:47 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Yeah, I don't read their articles, I can change it.

Changed.

And I stay away from any of the WoWinsider or anything related to them like the plague.
    Edited by Zegreiart on 11/20/2012 9:16 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Looks like I have some reading to do! I plan on making my OS tanking to give me some change, maybe tank some heroics for a bit and such.

Now I just need a decent MW guide to stare at, gonna raid with my guild for the first time since I hit 90, should be some fun.
    Reply Quote
    Currently like what I'm reading, much better than the sticky.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock
    Yeah, I don't read their articles, I can change it.

Changed.

And I stay away from any of the WoWinsider or anything related to them like the plague.

Lol, have to say, I like the new name more than the old one anyway.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Glad you like it :P
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]