Tanking Tanked: Drink Up! 5.4 Ready

90 Pandaren Monk
I don't even have PB yet, but I will say that staggermeter is very good.

And I forgot to say in my last post, sticky requested!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Problem fixed itself.~
Edited by Zegreiart on 11/24/2012 2:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/23/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Pandahmonium
I use it so I can explode it and heal me and all the melee dps for 150k each with a fat stack of vengeance.
Yeah, I certainly see what you mean. After just doing some heroics I've watched it crit me and two other people for 109k each. I'm gonna hang onto this for a raiding environment. It'll be interesting to see the results.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I like it.

I know you mentioned Xuen in the talent section having a taunt be annoying, but if you use it right it makes those early heroics extremely easy. Things like Gekkan where you can have him tank the rogue add so you don't get stunned during the fight will help people just starting into heroics a ton, where they can't really afford to get stunned on a boss.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You'd be my favorite person if you took that deer helmet off
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Haven't tanked since 85, but I might start wanting to again. No mention of reforging for dodge or parry? Are they worthless when compared to crit, haste and mastery?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/24/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Spidersnacks
Haven't tanked since 85, but I might start wanting to again. No mention of reforging for dodge or parry? Are they worthless when compared to crit, haste and mastery?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer. Having 100% uptime on shuffle gives you 20% parry 20% mastery, which counts as 17710 parry rating that is immune to diminishing returns, and 24000 mastery. The amount of haste necessary to achieve maximum certainty in this is considerably less--but haste gives OTHER benefits as well.

By the same token, Elusive Brew has 26560 dodge rating before diminshing returns attached to it. Getting a higher crit% chance to get more uptime on this is preferable to dodge rating by a considerable amount--this is one reason why agility is SO good for brewmasters, because it gives dodge% and crit% for more dodge%.

It's not that avoidance is bad, it's just that agi/hit/exp/haste/crit are all better at providing avoidance than the raw stats themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/24/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Kickgruntler

Short answer, yes.

Long answer. Having 100% uptime on shuffle gives you 20% parry 20% mastery, which counts as 17710 parry rating that is immune to diminishing returns, and 24000 mastery. The amount of haste necessary to achieve maximum certainty in this is considerably less--but haste gives OTHER benefits as well.

By the same token, Elusive Brew has 26560 dodge rating before diminshing returns attached to it. Getting a higher crit% chance to get more uptime on this is preferable to dodge rating by a considerable amount--this is one reason why agility is SO good for brewmasters, because it gives dodge% and crit% for more dodge%.

It's not that avoidance is bad, it's just that agi/hit/exp/haste/crit are all better at providing avoidance than the raw stats themselves.

Mind if I add this to the guide, Kick?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/24/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Zegreiart
Mind if I add this to the guide, Kick?

Go for it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you use Chi Wave, I'd recommend using this macro:

/Cast [@self] Chi Wave

All it really does is make sure that it bounces to you first, so you heal more because 4 out of 7 bounces ( Assuming nobody is injured) will hit you.
Reply Quote
Lookin' good mates
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
If you use Chi Wave, I'd recommend using this macro:

/Cast [@self] Chi Wave

All it really does is make sure that it bounces to you first, so you heal more because 4 out of 7 bounces ( Assuming nobody is injured) will hit you.

I prefer a mouse over macro. Doing it that way means you'd need another button if you ever want to use it on someone else. Admittedly I don't do that much out of PvP, but sometimes I like being able to toss it on the other tank if he needs more help that me, for instance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
yeah but brewmasters are still hated on even when they do everything right

keep shuffle up
drop stagger when im in yellow
use 3x guard absorbs
and use brew at x5

... yet everyone in my LFR kept crying about how hard it is to heal monks (both tanks were monk)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/24/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Sheydrina

YOU DO NOT DISS THE MOOSE HAT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/26/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Endangered

YOU DO NOT DISS THE MOOSE HAT
That escalated quickly.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Just spent two days reading this on my phone. Great read! I've been thinking of switching my off-spec from Windwalker to Brewmaster. I used to tank a lot on a paladin in BC, parts of Wrath and as an offspec for satchels in Cata. How is the damage solo compared to Windwalker spec.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/27/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Repley
How is the damage solo compared to Windwalker spec.

Apples and oranges. A windwalker will be quickly beating down single targets, a brewmaster will be slower single target, but as a tank you don't single target.

Brewmaster has an advantage over other tanks, however, in that you have Touch of Death for single-target situations.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
yeah but brewmasters are still hated on even when they do everything right

keep shuffle up
drop stagger when im in yellow
use 3x guard absorbs
and use brew at x5

... yet everyone in my LFR kept crying about how hard it is to heal monks (both tanks were monk)

In a raid you do it differently.

You still keep shuffle up (that's increased in importance, obviously), and you drop stagger when you have a huge amount of it (base it on amount, not color. Brewmaster Tao helps you do this), but Guard and EB use changes.

Guard and EB both become cooldowns best used to mitigate damage spikes. Healers who are constantly healing you for little bits at a time--they expect that. But lots of damage spikes cause them to notice, even if overall you're taking less damage.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
That's what I figured, honestly. Although this expansion certainly is better than the last one for soloing as a tank. A lot more of the enemies seem more densely-packed than they were in Cata. The main reason I'd do it is for the ability to solo more raids, especially with the addition of the pets in the raid zones. Mistweaver is fine for survival but the damage leaves something to be desired when doing these raids.

With all the self-healing and mitigation, it seems like Brewmaster might be a lot better for my needs. Especially considering the only dailies I have left to do are the new ones and those will likely require rounding up enemies anyway.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]