Tanking Tanked: Drink Up! 5.4 Ready

(Sticky)

90 Pandaren Monk
Gratz on sticky but did blizzard really just replace the mistweaver guide instead of the old brewmaster guide or is it just me?
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 04:17 AMPosted by Rtrtb
Gratz on sticky but did blizzard really just replace the mistweaver guide instead of the old brewmaster guide or is it just me?

They did, yes. But the Mistweaver guide, as I stated in that thread, is actually wrong.

The 5.1 changes nerfed a lot of things, and rotations aren't as... simple as the guide seems to state they are anymore.

However, yes, they did replace the wrong guide. Lol.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
01/09/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Brewfist

They are no longer stickied either, apparently.
*Sips more coffee while facetanking things*
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Kegfist

They are no longer stickied either, apparently.
*Sips more coffee while facetanking things*

>_> Wait, The GMs actually read my report? Lol. That's a shocker.

Well, here's hoping someone takes up the reigns for windwalkers and mistweavers. :D
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Paladin
Really liked this guide, as a man who loves to tank, I found the prospect of tanking while tanked to be irresistible. It brought me back to the game after some time and I recently started up a monk.

I have to say that prior to reading your guide...well I was making so many mistakes because I had only a basic knowledge of my class and was sort of basing my practices on other tanks. I saw the combination of Breath of Fire and Keg smash and figured that was the bread & butter of the class.

It was working on my little bits of tanking in super low level instances, but am I glad I read this now. I can start practicing before I get to a serious run and die because I'm not utilizing the truly amazing skills here.

That being said, I am a little sad that Breath of Fire is so hard to throw into the rotation. Still far better to use the right moves than to use the ones that simply look cool. Do you think this will ever be changed because it isn't as useful as other skills or do other people use the ability more often?

I'm still very low level on my monk, but this guide has changed a lot of how I will be playing it. Thanks for making such a good guide, and making it pretty easy to read through.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Going to try Monk Timers, but I was hoping there was an addon like Brewmaster Tao that also tracked Shuffle, Guard CD/Shield, and Tiger Palm's buff. Bleh.

WeakAuras.

agreed use weak auras

http://pastebin.com/NrsQiTTv - standard weak auras including stagger indicator and cooldowns as well as power guard and energy bar and a bunch of other stuff wrote these myself.

http://pastebin.com/zTh0tzwh - Chi bars

http://pastebin.com/mNSFMt7w - Stagger bars courtesy of Supermassive highly recommend these

If you need help setting it up just /who dash on Sargeras I'm usually on one toon with dash in their name
Edited by Dash on 1/16/2013 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Warrior
01/23/2013 03:49 AMPosted by Sweatymoist
'm not upvoting this for sticky OP. This is one of the most half assed guides I've ever seen, on any forums. How many pages is that? 20? Are you kidding me? If you can't condense that all down into one page of solid information then you have no business making a guide and expecting intelligent people to spend time reading that crap

Translation: I'm lazy, spoon feed me.

Throw more temper tantrums, they suit you.

Who are you kidding anyway, you're going to glance at stat weights, gem improperly and proceed to Guard initially on the pull and on cooldown to "maximize HPS".
Edited by Rijdå on 1/24/2013 12:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
01/23/2013 03:49 AMPosted by Sweatymoist
I'm not upvoting this for sticky OP. This is one of the most half assed guides I've ever seen, on any forums. How many pages is that? 20? Are you kidding me? If you can't condense that all down into one page of solid information then you have no business making a guide and expecting intelligent people to spend time reading that crap.

Ooh this is going to be fun. I'll take a stab before I make friends with my pillow.

- It's already sticked, you're about a week late.
- It's 1 page (several posts) of solid information, outlined and detailed with links.
- Gems, enchants, priorities and even spells are explained.
- Have fun sifting through the 22 page thread on EJ that is just a "basic discussion" for Brewmasters and trying to find information that is relevant to what you're looking for.

If you're too lazy to look through the guide that Zeg put forth a lot of effort to make, then you have no reason to be on the forums period.
Edited by Kegfist on 1/25/2013 1:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was curious what this guide had to say since I am doing alot of experimenting on my own. I saw the differences between chi brew and Power strikes written on there, but was Ascension even mentioned? It was alot to read so I might have missed it. That is the one I am working with and testing out atm. I dropped my 15% expertise back down to 7.5%, threw a little more into stam then before, then threw a bunch into haste while switching from Power Strikes to Ascension, I am waitng to find a chance to fight some big hitting bosses with this new setup to see how it goes.

Basically its about more chi control vs more Elusive brew uptime, that is one of the biggest differences between the main two setups. I think Will of The Emperor 10 man is perfect to test this on. When I fought them last week, I was having to purify everytime I got chi pretty much, so the loss of chi might have destroyed me. Since I am no longer using 15% expertise or Power Strikes, I am interested to see how that fight feels this week.
Edited by Sekushina on 1/28/2013 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hey guys, sorry I've been incredibly silent. I had to go on a short hiatus for awhile, but I'm back now and ready to dive back into monking. I'll be keeping a closer eye on things. Sorry for the silence, I haven't gone anywhere, promise!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
This was a lot of fun to read, and I'm keeping it bookmarked, thanks Zegreiart.
Reply Quote
Hey look, finally got stickied! XD

I was considering popping back into monk tanking after DPSing for a while, but was curious if an addon ever popped up like the one I was asking about?

AKA one that tracks Stagger, Shuffle, and Guard amount?

I'm not looking for one that shows icons. Those mess with my head too much. I'm looking for one that shows them in the style Brewmaster Tao does. Bars.

A better example would be similar to how SliceAdmiral works for rogues. Shows how long is left on each buff, (and in staggers case, how much the stagger is/color of it), then how long guard has left, with how much that guard is.

I'm honestly surprised if there still isn't an addon like that. There's too many places you have to look as a monk, and I just want them to be localized to the same area in a handy bar layout, rather than a bunch of icons that screw with my head. xD I'm not a keybinder, so having extra icons on my screen does NOT help. xD

Hell, even something like StaggerMeter (which is probably the best stagger tracking mod I've seen), just for Shuffle uptime and guard's amount/cooldown would be amazing. ._. Can't find any mods that display shuffle in a bar though. :S
Edited by Brewfist on 3/2/2013 5:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Glad to see this is a sticky still and that Zeg has not gone anywhere. Are there any significant changes since 5.2 for brewmasters? I know the other specs are a bit different so curious if there's anything new I should know about.

Thanks for all your hard work and help.
Edited by Shafer on 3/21/2013 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/12/2013 08:00 PMPosted by Savar
That being said, I am a little sad that Breath of Fire is so hard to throw into the rotation. Still far better to use the right moves than to use the ones that simply look cool. Do you think this will ever be changed because it isn't as useful as other skills or do other people use the ability more often?

I agree with this as well, BoF is too hard to fit into a rotation, especially for a large pull, where it is needed the most. Perhaps if they reduced it to 1 chi and gave it a cooldown it would be more useful. Whether that would make it like thunderclap is irrelevant to me, monks are so different as tanks to other classes that minor things like that matter not.

Keg smash is not enough AoE threat for a multi-pull when you are trying to get shuffle up and build, in my experience. It's ok if you have shuffle ticking down and you can bomb a keg and BoF on the pull.

I tend to find popping guard and SCK work well for initial threat as well as gathering mobs, then a keg smash, BOK, but it varies.

I'm not sure there is an opening rotation that I have worked out yet, but if anyone has one, please enlighten me. I would fricking love shuffle having an initial time of 8 seconds, and each additional adding 5 or 6 seconds. Just that tiny bit of breathing room.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
-
Edited by Zegreiart on 3/28/2013 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I agree with this as well, BoF is too hard to fit into a rotation, especially for a large pull, where it is needed the most. Perhaps if they reduced it to 1 chi and gave it a cooldown it would be more useful. Whether that would make it like thunderclap is irrelevant to me, monks are so different as tanks to other classes that minor things like that matter not.
Unfortunately, BoF is kind of a "use it if ya got it" (read: have excess Chi), SCK is still a go to over BoF. It's free, generates Chi when it hits enough mobs, and overall deals more damage.

Keg smash is not enough AoE threat for a multi-pull when you are trying to get shuffle up and build, in my experience. It's ok if you have shuffle ticking down and you can bomb a keg and BoF on the pull.
You should KS into BoK followed up with SCK if you're that worried about threat and want to deal damage.

With my gear SCK does ~16k to ~21k damage in 1.90 seconds, ballparking.

Conversely, BoF does 12.5k damage upfront with a 21.6k over 8 seconds with DH on the target. The dot is worth 2,700 damage every second. AND costs Chi. IMO, if you want to change anything about BoF, up its damage + dot component. I feel the 2 Chi is fine. KS -> BoK -> EH -> Jab -> BoF is what it's going to take to make work, unless you're running Chi Brew.

But that's a ton of extra work for a meager dot. Especially since you won't have a lot of upfront vengeance to hand out tickets to board the pain train. However, if you're worried about snap threat, just use Dizzying Haze. It's D&D on crack without a damage component. Threat solved.

Clash if available for rounding up adds into the AoE stun, KS, BoK, Leg Sweep, SCK for AoE, EH, BoK, rinse, repeat. SCK to fill deadtime. Make a cancelaura macro for SCK if you want to press it again to stop it so you can KS if it comes up mid-SCK so you can keep KS on CD.

At least, that's one way I'd approach it. Dizzying Haze is crazy good for snap threat. BoF, not so much.

I tend to find popping guard and SCK work well for initial threat as well as gathering mobs, then a keg smash, BOK, but it varies.
That's the fastest way to die. Guard will only soak maybe 75k (was my values before my 4pc) or so damage without our 4pc t14. It scales very well with vengeance, and you just put it on CD. To be honest, my described method above for an AoE pull is pretty optimal.

Guard on CD in 5 mans for the lols, Guard in raids to soak the big hits (never use it on CD). Glyph for heavy magic damage encounters and run Diffuse Magic. Proceed to collect epics.

I'm not sure there is an opening rotation that I have worked out yet, but if anyone has one, please enlighten me. I would fricking love shuffle having an initial time of 8 seconds, and each additional adding 5 or 6 seconds. Just that tiny bit of breathing room.
Wish granted, see above :3

As for the shuffle thing? It gets easier once you do it more and more. Like I've said, that initial window is super small, but over time it feels like an eternity. It just takes practice and doing. Get comfortable with your abilities, know the duration of your buffs, use addons to track these things, muscle memory! Give it a month or two and you'll be a natural at it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hah, thanks for the feedback.

I've wracked up another 50 hours play time on my monk this week so I've been experimenting a lot with tanking, even did some LFR where my lack of knowledge of tanking strats was a bigger fail than my tanking skills.

BoF is really something I am using less and less, if at all. I think I underestimated KS in my first few heroic runs because I was teamed with terrifyingly overgeared characters on my undergeared tank. The gearing situation has changed significantly as well.

I have power strikes at the moment, but am considering toying with Chi Brew. I figure ascension is maybe better for WW or MW, but I haven't really played those to know.

I love my mobility, roll is almost as good as Warbirnger used to be. Clash is just amazing. I misread it initially and didn't realise it was an AoE stun. Hahahaha, once I figured that out, good times, good times.

It's just gearing and stat weights now I need to figure out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I am still very much in the learning phase of my monk. For our 10 man I had to swap from my DK tank to my monk tank. While I have read this guide and the guide on EJ, I still feel overwhelmed on gems and reforges. When I armory people in this thread and the EJ thread I find a mix of gems/reforges from haste to crit, from ilvl 500-522+. I realize that mastery seems to be a strong option for heroic raiding. My guild is currently 6/12 so I am not at that point. Since we are fairly casual in our raiding schedule (2 days a week) my DPS matters, so I try to push it as best as I can. On most single target fights I am about 60-70k DPS, not really sure if that is good or bad.

So I have come to ask you experienced folks, are my gems/enchants/reforges correct? I think they are based off of the guides but I wanted to be sure I was right. If I am not I would like to correct them and be a better have more knowledge.

I hope this post does not come across as me sounding like I want an easy answer. I am just really confused on if I am making the best choices and hope to find some help.

Thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]