Hunters and PvE

NOPE! 3 out of the other 4 pure dps are in the top 4 pve dps, but hunters are just aight. doesn't feel right LOL.
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Hunter
11/30/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Danshot
NOPE! 3 out of the other 4 pure dps are in the top 4 pve dps, but hunters are just aight. doesn't feel right LOL.

Rogues aren't. Rogues are 7th, 9th, and 20th. Warlocks have 2 of the top 4 DPS specs at the moment (2nd and 4th).
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Top hunter spec is in the middle which according to some forum goers is where we should all want to be.

Problem is that hunters bring damage that is it that is all.

MM just got put back to where it was in the start of cataclysm for the love of pete. I mean really that is all the changes amounted to was reverting nerfs.
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Hunter
BM's currently 18th, MM's 22nd, and Surv is 23rd out of 23 DPS specs.

BM is not fine. Ret, Enhance, and Destro are about where DPS should be.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
to the top.
5% RAP and some minor changes. Are we fine?

In one word no, at least pvp wise. PVPing as BM is an exercise in futility, BGs and RBGs have so much aoe cc that your pet’s uptime is in the gutter. I have yet to test 5.1 BM in arenas but with the top comps having access to aoe cc its fair to surmise that the spec will fair just as bad in that front. As for pve I will be running some tests over the weekend but I’m not overly optimistic of these changes.
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
11/30/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Skke

Rogues aren't. Rogues are 7th, 9th, and 20th. Warlocks have 2 of the top 4 DPS specs at the moment (2nd and 4th).

What charts are you looking at that have rogues so low?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This change to Serpent sting would of been really nice if they didn't nerf Serpent Spread.
Whoo, exceptionally small buff to dps that won't make a difference in the long run
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
This change to Serpent sting would of been really nice if they didn't nerf Serpent Spread.
Whoo, exceptionally small buff to dps that won't make a difference in the long run

It will be a hefty survival buff, with serpent sting doing pretty much double damage, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more hunters rolling survival. Especially with survival's 1.5x damage buff on SrS already.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
From my point of view, I thought we were doing just fine.

I just started doing Heroics this week. The problem I have was I am a leatherworker and raised my levels by killing many many mobs. To get in, I made myself 5 pieces of entry level PvP gear. I did enchant tho.

I have been routinely top DPS though my runs. And it has gotten only better as I picked up the gear. I have not thought that out button / rotation was overly complicated. Then again, I do have a Destro Lock and am used to a large number of button pushes.

My rotation is: Serpent sting, explosive shot, glaive toss, dire beast, black arrow (for the Lock and Load Proc). I am now out of Focus, so I follow with a cobra shot then another explosive shot (it just came of CD). About 30 - 40% of the time Lock and Load procs at this point. Most mobs (like the Mogu in the Golden Lotus quests) are down to about 35%. I never use my CDs or traps unless I am fighting an elite (CDs) or multiple mobs (traps).

Does anyone else use this rotation? BTW I only use the middle food buff
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
12/01/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Dencashin
My rotation is:

Sorry. This is the QQ Forum. Any attempt to actually discuss mechanics or engage in theory craft is strictly forbidden.

Seriously, I have been trying to start discussions on MM mechanics and have not gotten one single response whenever I bring it up, even on the hunter forums.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
there are 4 classes that can perform only a single role in any situation - dps

hunters are one of those 4, and at no time should any of those 4 be bottom-of-the-barrel in their role.

the serpent sting change was not enough. the class needs more. chimera, aimed, cobra, steady, arcane shots all need at least a 15% increase in damage each. dire beast/blink strike/lynx strike/murder of crows need to be taken off the gcd so they can be macro'd for fewer buttons to press.

8 years. blizzard should know better by now.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
to the top.
5% RAP and some minor changes. Are we fine?

In one word no, at least pvp wise. PVPing as BM is an exercise in futility, BGs and RBGs have so much aoe cc that your pet’s uptime is in the gutter. I have yet to test 5.1 BM in arenas but with the top comps having access to aoe cc its fair to surmise that the spec will fair just as bad in that front. As for pve I will be running some tests over the weekend but I’m not overly optimistic of these changes.

this is a pve thread. keep it on topic.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It's still too early to tell with the ss buffs/adjustments to iss. Overall I'm seeing a bit of a buff overall for sure, but unlike the nerfs to fire mages, it's a bit hard to pin down raid to raid.

The question is where should we end up?
Edited by Notho on 12/2/2012 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
GC was saying on his Twitter that they think hunter damage is a bit too low.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/02/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Desarian
GC was saying on his Twitter that they think hunter damage is a bit too low.

link
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Oh, c'mon, Spinner, you're acting like Blizzard's ever added an ability to the Hunter class that was required in a raid instance so that raids were required to take along a number of Hunt--

Wait. ****.
To be fair, in the past when PVE was vastly different than what it is today, we filled the amazing niche of being the best kiters in the game and were one of the best for LOS Pulls for the tank. If I recall, one of the last fights in BRS basically required the hunter to kite tank. There was also gluth where we were good for zombie kiting.

The problem is, that niche no longer really exists and for any of the fights where that could be possible, other classes can do more damage and do the same thing just as well as we can if not better.

I want to address the "class niche" issue really quick. I think Blizzard's problem is that they took "Bring the player, not the class" a bit too far. It shouldn't be a bad thing when your class or spec specializes in a specific thing; Fire in Cata was an AoE king, Rogues from Vanilla > Wrath were the best single target DPSers and CC bot, Shamans offered incredible support and unique buff effects, etc.

The "niche" that hunters used to have is the fact that they could pseudo pet-offtank and kite exceedingly well (as you've said). They were the only ranged class in the game that didn't require much 'stand still' time. The amount of counter threat/threat redirection utility they had was incredible, but now for the most part threat is a non-issue really.

From what I've seen in Cata > prior to 5.1, Hunters ended up casting more than some casters did.

What bothers me is it's not "Bring the player, not the buff" like it should be. It's "bring the player, not the class", so no specific class/spec should have a niche in anything. I don't see why Blizzard thinks that's a detrimental thing. They've also contradicted their own design philosophy and given unique raid buffs (once again) to Shamans and Warriors via Skull Banner/Stormlash. Which I don't mind, but other classes need that love back as well.
Edited by Zamzikhan on 12/2/2012 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

I think you're referring to Improved Serpent Sting. It wasn't nerfed, it was just adjusted so it did the same damage pre and post hotfix.

Also, the SrS buff is at least as significant as the 5% AP increase last week. It's about a 3-4% DPS increase for BM and 6-7% for Survival (on single target).
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
12/02/2012 05:12 AMPosted by Prattle
My rotation is:

Sorry. This is the QQ Forum. Any attempt to actually discuss mechanics or engage in theory craft is strictly forbidden.

Seriously, I have been trying to start discussions on MM mechanics and have not gotten one single response whenever I bring it up, even on the hunter forums.

MM mechanics suck. It's really cool in theory but it's poorly implemented, way to clunky and just not fun.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Sorry. This is the QQ Forum. Any attempt to actually discuss mechanics or engage in theory craft is strictly forbidden.Seriously, I have been trying to start discussions on MM mechanics and have not gotten one single response whenever I bring it up, even on the hunter forums.

Prattle again you seem to have found something in MM you like care to share?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/02/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Darthsirak
Sorry. This is the QQ Forum. Any attempt to actually discuss mechanics or engage in theory craft is strictly forbidden.Seriously, I have been trying to start discussions on MM mechanics and have not gotten one single response whenever I bring it up, even on the hunter forums.

Prattle again you seem to have found something in MM you like care to share?

The thing about MM right now is that it doesn't offer anything over BM aside form better target swapping or over SV. Its utility is lessened since BR and Hero/lust are on BM pets only, and damage is on BMs side as well no to mention that aoe wise sv is far better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]