what can this card run wow on

51 Orc Hunter
i wanted to get this card what framerate do you think i can get on ultra with this card NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB *(GDDR5)*
Edited by Ðeadèye on 11/26/2012 12:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
The memory bandwith on that card holds it back its at 28.5 GB/s DDR3
while a comparable price range card's memory is 72 GB/s The Radeon HD 7750 for $110-$125
at newegg.com

Suprisingly, Sounds better than it runs, while good enough for this game i guess. Not really the best in that price range.

You could see 60 FPS, in choppy situations it could and probably would dip down alot.
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 12:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
51 Orc Hunter
its gddr5 this is the newer one
Edited by Ðeadèye on 11/26/2012 12:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
i run this game on ultra with a GTX 260. lol.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
11/26/2012 01:01 AMPosted by Ferede

Yeah, on ultra with my GTX 560 I get about 60-120 FPS (drops down to about 60 during boss fights, with no noticeable video lag.)
Edited by Whyzlock on 11/26/2012 1:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm not that huge of a tech person but don't high grade computers even have trouble with wow just because the wow engine bottlenecks? A friend of mine was trying to explain it to me since some people buy custom computers and still have trouble with WoW
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
Yeah Even so, That second card beats it according to 3dmark by 90 points, Yet I just found this card that slams it into the dirt

The Geforce GT 640(GDDR5)) scored 2410
The Radeon HD 7750 only scored 90 above the Geforce 640
But....This Radeon HD 7770 wins with the score of 3400 for around $130 at newegg.

Not sure if that helps. Hopefully
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 1:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Monk
Yes it's the computer that bottlenecks. WoW is not exactly video intensive, it's more CPU dependent and WoW generally uses at most 2 cores so a monster server board with quad Optron to get 32 cores total will not make WoW run better.

I have a custom PC that uses Intel i7 2700k and it runs at 5Ghz easy. There's far less lag than at stock speed. Most computer tops out at 3Ghz stock speed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
Um he was asking for graphics card advice, and how the heck do you figure wow isn't vdieo intensive? ITS A VIDEO GAME, of course its graphics intensive lol.

Besides, its a balancing act, You cannot have the best processor and a POS video card and expect great results.
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 1:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
The 7750 actually scores lower than the 7770 by alot...
now if you really want something fast go with the Radeon HD 7850 Blows them all away by a long shot....scores over 6000 and costs $180 on newegg..
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 2:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
Okay I just learned to read. and Your correct, However you didn't say it scored lower, therefore it is not "exactly what you said" ..so gg :) jk jk. LMFAO im gettin more silly the later it gets..
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 1:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
Um he was asking for graphics card advice, and how the heck do you figure wow isn't vdieo intensive? ITS A VIDEO GAME, of course its graphics intensive lol.

Wow actually puts so much more on the CPU than the GPU, please know what you're talking about before you post.[/quote]

Im sorry but you are wrong again, How much more a video game puts on a CPU than a Graphics card has nothing to do with this not being a graphic card driven game, Of course you need a CPU for a graphics card to run, just like you need an Operating system to play wow, that doesn't mean you can just get a really super CPU and a super low end graphics card like some of these onboard ones and jump in a 25 man raid and be happy with the visuals. Bottleneck works both ways lady. Your very confused.
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 2:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MVP
of course the CPU is actually doing more than WOW, its running everything from your RAM, hard drive, Internet activity, Video card Operating System, Mouse,Keyboard, All input devices. No duh its going to be performing at a higher rate...... You really shouldn't make this into an argument i was here to help and now your arguring over wow not needing a really good video card?

Infact its the opposite, a really good video card helps your CPU do other tasks with less stress, there-fore increasing overall system performance during high stress situations such as 25 man raids. :P
Edited by Azam on 11/26/2012 2:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Monk
I have dual GTX 580 and I can run at ultra setting but I still get occasional slowdown during heavy boss encounter at max setting.

I use Logitech G15 to show many things and when I set to display the CPU and GPU usage, 2 CPU cores are maxed but maybe 10% of GPU is being used for WoW.

Keep in mind that WoW is based on 8 year old spaghetti code that were originally optimized to run on CPU more than GPU. Back then, some of the top GPU were a mere 256MB 128bit on AGP slot. The core code has not been fully redone to take advantage of modern technology, which is why WoW never takes full advantage of your newest top of the line $1,000 video cards. Other games that are coded recently will work far better with superior GPU and decent CPU. WoW still works better on superior (and especially well overclocked) CPU and a 4 year old video card.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
11/26/2012 01:01 AMPosted by Ferede

At what, 10 FPS?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]