Over-used Characters.

01/25/2013 06:10 AMPosted by Augustev
Level 23 bad asses.

I disagree. Unless, we're thinking different things.
To me, you can be a level 23 and still be a powerful spellcaster, just know the limits of your class and such. That's fine with me
I also think it's fine if you RP a level 23 who managed to help kill the Lich King in the assault of Icecrown Citadel.

That is almost exactly how I played this orc. At some low level 20 something I broke him out of a long retirement when I discovered RP. He joined a militant, aggressive clan that has disappeared now.

His background was that he was a veteran of the First War, and now obviously in advanced age, so he would have to "regain his strength". So at level 27 or so he was treated as a clan elder, although a fragile one. Cynical, murderous, coldly analytical and something like an old SS man, he is what I would call a badass, and the RP with him is well received and always has been. If the poster meant badass as in half dragon, half vampire and half gnome with laser eyebeams... That will always be horrible regardless of level.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:19 AMPosted by Sorcies
Those who accuse you of racism because your character isn't best buds with the opposite faction. Unless you're a member of a neutral organization you should hate them, you should want them dead for what they've done to your people.

Absolutely.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Zen
01/25/2013 06:58 AMPosted by Konkurur

I disagree. Unless, we're thinking different things.
To me, you can be a level 23 and still be a powerful spellcaster, just know the limits of your class and such. That's fine with me
I also think it's fine if you RP a level 23 who managed to help kill the Lich King in the assault of Icecrown Citadel.

That is almost exactly how I played this orc. At some low level 20 something I broke him out of a long retirement when I discovered RP. He joined a militant, aggressive clan that has disappeared now.

His background was that he was a veteran of the First War, and now obviously in advanced age, so he would have to "regain his strength". So at level 27 or so he was treated as a clan elder, although a fragile one. Cynical, murderous, coldly analytical and something like an old SS man, he is what I would call a badass, and the RP with him is well received and always has been. If the poster meant badass as in half dragon, half vampire and half gnome with laser eyebeams... That will always be horrible regardless of level.

The half-dragon idea is from either D&D or League of Legends.
Reply Quote
The half-dragon idea is from either D&D or League of Legends.

Oh, it is far, far older than that. But it is very tired and needs some real skill to work. I have seen it work, but I've seen some embarrassingly horrible fails with it too.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Monk
For "funny" characters, I'll bring up my tauren pally, Thud Widehoof, again. Sometimes I don't want to RP the really heavy stuff and want feel-good, light-hearted RP where I can just let loose and not think too hard about everything RP wise. This character was created for that kind of RP. Thud Widehoof is a kind young tauren who wants to do a lot of good in the world, but he's dimwitted and gullible. He admires his mother and is always sharing her wisdom with other people. He's kind-of sort-of like a tauren Forrest Gump. RP with this character has created a lot of silly RP, with some genuine though still light-hearted moments in between, and it really gives me a nice fuzzy feeling when I move Thud to a RP location and I'm greeted with ((Thud!!!)).

I guess my point, and this could possibly sound funny after I had stated that the RP characters aren't real and that sometimes one's got to pull some reins OOCly, is that you can make a "funny" character while still making it a genuine character, (and fitting within the RP setting, of course) not just a trope or a character as device.

For levels in RP, and again this is my opinion, I don't always take level into account. I've got two realms full of RP characters. I don't want to level every single one of them to max and get them all geared just to have some legitimacy in RP. Most of the time, I get the character to 20 so that they can at least use ground mounts, then give them a RP set and go at it. As long as the other RPer is smart, reasonable, and fair, and the character doesn't appear to be "out there" to me, I can look beyond character level and simply focus on the other RPer's creative writing skills.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/24/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Nezza
Level 23 bad asses.

If you mean level 23 and RPing some sort of powerful spell caster or a seasoned warrior, I have no problem with this. I will happily RP with a level 23 character that spends more time RPing than leveling as long as the RP is believable. I think this one depends on how much weight you put on game mechanics vs suspension of disbelief. Take that however you want. I find it obscenely immersion breaking when a level 23 in grays and quest greens thinks his enchanted magical armor is superior to mine, but I find it equally obscenely immersion breaking when somebody tries to impose their in-game level, achievements, raid progression, and other mechanics on my roleplay unless I am confident that they actually did all of that in-character while actively roleplaying and not just saying "I'm gonna say this DS run was IC lololol".
Edited by Eldevane on 1/25/2013 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bystanders: Uhm....there's a guy fighting for his life against a Draenei over there. No? Just going to calmly talk to your lady friend while you can clearly see that man is about to die? Okay then.

You imply that we are somehow OBLIGATED to RP with EVERYONE simply because we are on the same server and faction and phase as them. You fail to account for the amount of trolls, godmoders, mary sues, and other immersion-breaking people who RP with us on a constant basis that are simply not immersive, fun, or fulfilling to engage.

Why do I disagree with you? Because this is the umpteenth fight started on the Cathedral steps or in the Cathedral itself in the last hour or so. This is a purely attention-seeking special snowflake mary sue gimmick, the people doing this almost never have any valid reason to be in a fight, but there are lots of good guy paladins around that will surely get involved that they can evade with supernatural ease and demonstrate that their lone death knight is so vastly more powerful than the entire clergy in Stormwind. I'm sorry, I don't RP with people who think we're playing World of Dragonball Z.

I used to get involved in this crap all the time because, like you, I felt it broke immersion too much to ignore it. I learned the hard way that getting involved in these attention-seeking godmod shenanigans only winds up with you being ignored for not acknowledging the combat superiority of your opponent from the get go and not laying down and dying.

These random fights that break out all over the city are not motivated by anything but a bored RPer trying to steal the damn spotlight. I'm not inclined to indulge if it just feels like an attention-grabbing mechanism, if it feels unmotivated by IC reasons.

Stormwind City has guards all over the place. These fights breaking out everywhere without consequence despite that are more immersion breaking than sitting there chatting with my friend and ignoring your dying Draenei because you chose to indulge an attention wh0re.
Edited by Eldevane on 1/25/2013 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:58 AMPosted by Konkurur
If the poster meant badass as in half dragon, half vampire and half gnome with laser eyebeams... That will always be horrible regardless of level.

Obviously it will. I mean, being half-gnome is already awesome enough - adding the dragon and vampire bits is just overkill.

The laser eyebeams? Nah, those are from the half-gnome part. Hidden racial trait.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Trolls that have bright pink fur.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm a blind death knight, does that count as one of those overused blind hunter people?

Also; blind people aren't that overused.

And at least Svelis was born blind and had learned to fight blind, not just been blind for less than half of her life and already fights super well as a blind person.
Edited by Svelis on 2/2/2013 11:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Foul-tempered Death Knights.

'nuff said.
Reply Quote
Blind, Demon/half demons/angel, vampires, pirates, pregnant, basically ever Marty and Mary Sue cliche. Yer already a Hero. You've completed many quests, defeated many monsters and killed the opposing faction. Why do you need to be a cliche too?
Reply Quote
Oh and Royalty.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Anime has had a vast, negative influence on many character roles, spawning a hellhole of tropes that people, Elves and humans in particular, exploit to their fullest.

I don't hate anime, I watch some myself, but when people start using WoW and bending the lore to vicariously live out some demon loli possessed secret martial artist and savior of the planet fantasy, it gets really tiring.

I don't have many things against blind characters, but when the character in question has no weaknesses despite their apparent lack of sight, it grinds the gears.

The only other thing that bothers me, and still somehow continues to seem lore abiding and completely logical, is healing.
People RPing with extreme healing abilities that counteract nature itself, for instance, healing a wounded soldier who's arm has been cut off, replacing the lost limb. This goes past the pre-determined boundaries of healing that we've seen in game. I've witnessed roleplays where a player had instantly healed their own severed leg in the midst of battle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'm a blind death knight, does that count as one of those overused blind hunter people?

Also; blind people aren't that overused.

And at least Svelis was born blind and had learned to fight blind, not just been blind for less than half of her life and already fights super well as a blind person.
From what I've read it can be okay so long as it is explained, also since it was from birth you've had more time to cope with it. The only problem a lot see is when blind people seem to be able to see just fine, if not better, than non-blind people.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

'nuff said.

Sad thing is, most Death Knights are exactly that.

Cold, unwelcoming at first, and just doesn't give to hoots of a damn. They are torn by grief and hardened war veterans, or at least large majority of them. It's hard to find one Death Knight that wont have the occasional snap at someone.

If it's one that's angry 24/7 and acts like a pissy child, then it falls under that catagory. You will never meet a sweet heart Death Knight.

Ever.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

'nuff said.

Sad thing is, most Death Knights are exactly that.

Cold, unwelcoming at first, and just doesn't give to hoots of a damn. They are torn by grief and hardened war veterans, or at least large majority of them. It's hard to find one Death Knight that wont have the occasional snap at someone.

If it's one that's angry 24/7 and acts like a pissy child, then it falls under that catagory. You will never meet a sweet heart Death Knight.

Ever.

A hero...

That's what you once were. You stood boldly against the Shadow and purchased another dawn for the world... with your life. But the evil you fought is not so easily banished; the victory you claimed, not so easily held. For now, the specter of death looms over the world yet again and it has found new champions to bring about its final reign. Knights of darkness, wielding runes of death and destruction, bound by the will of the Lich King. This is the hour of their ascension! This is the hour of your dark rebirth...

Note the "Once were", we are agents of shadow and darkness, not heroes that are here to save you. We are not nice, we are not kind, we can express these feelings to a lesser extent, but don't think I'll hold your hand and frolic among the flowers with you.

We are death, we are vengeance, we are darkness incarnate. So seeing Death Knights being all lovey dovey irks me, mainly because I don't mind if you have past loved ones, that's fine, but when you meet someone after your undeath you are not going to fall in love and make babies, sorry dead people don't work that way...

So like the quote says, we will never be happy. We can give happiness in rare circumstances, like saving a mother's child, but we can never be happy ourselves.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
A hero...

That's what you once were. You stood boldly against the Shadow and purchased another dawn for the world... with your life. But the evil you fought is not so easily banished; the victory you claimed, not so easily held. For now, the specter of death looms over the world yet again and it has found new champions to bring about its final reign. Knights of darkness, wielding runes of death and destruction, bound by the will of the Lich King. This is the hour of their ascension! This is the hour of your dark rebirth...

Note the "Once were", we are agents of shadow and darkness, not heroes that are here to save you. We are not nice, we are not kind, we can express these feelings to a lesser extent, but don't think I'll hold your hand and frolic among the flowers with you.

We are death, we are vengeance, we are darkness incarnate. So seeing Death Knights being all lovey dovey irks me, mainly because I don't mind if you have past loved ones, that's fine, but when you meet someone after your undeath you are not going to fall in love and make babies, sorry dead people don't work that way...

So like the quote says, we will never be happy. We can give happiness in rare circumstances, like saving a mother's child, but we can never be happy ourselves.

Could not have said it better myself.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't have many things against blind characters, but when the character in question has no weaknesses despite their apparent lack of sight, it grinds the gears.

The only other thing that bothers me, and still somehow continues to seem lore abiding and completely logical, is healing.
People RPing with extreme healing abilities that counteract nature itself, for instance, healing a wounded soldier who's arm has been cut off, replacing the lost limb. This goes past the pre-determined boundaries of healing that we've seen in game. I've witnessed roleplays where a player had instantly healed their own severed leg in the midst of battle.

My character was temporarily blind for a time. Of course, my reasoning for causing the injury was 'cause I got the blindfold and really wanted an excuse to wear it. <.< Not my best moment. Anyways, I did my best to make sure she acted accordingly. Having not been used to the lack of sight, she'd run into things, have a hard time telling where people were, etc. She was super clumsy. Only after a few weeks did I have her start getting accustomed to it, 'start' being the key word here.

The healing thing really bothers me too. I mean, sure, magic can do quite a bit of healing, but it can't heal everything to the point where you feel like you just got out of a day spa right after you've been cut in half. I'm assuming it's more like how surgery feels. In the end, whatever's been healed (gash, broken bone, etc) it still really hurts and handicaps you, but you're not gonna die anytime soon. Something along those lines.

I also hate how people think rezing is just a normal thing that people do all the time. I met someone who, when telling the story of their death, said "Thankfully my paladin friend had been nearby at the time! He ressurected me, and now here I am, good as new." They weren't even a death knight or some other form of undead. If rezing was so easy, then why didn't Varian rez his wife? Why didn't Alextrasza rez Krasus? And so on and so forth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]