Over-used Characters.

90 Dwarf Mage
11/27/2012 12:22 AMPosted by Volkuza
I'll give you that - but how often does something occur while bathing?

If your character has been battling Orcs for 15 years, it is reasonable to assume some damage was sustained in the process.

Depends on the abilities of the character.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
11/27/2012 12:39 AMPosted by Maoseitun

If your character has been battling Orcs for 15 years, it is reasonable to assume some damage was sustained in the process.

That's part of the overused aspect.

Everyone is a master swordsman that has fought through the Third War and the one raging on now and has not injured his or herself once, resulting in a scarless, pristine warrior.

Unless your character is an automaton that was made to fight, everyone starts off as a novice.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage

That's part of the overused aspect.

Everyone is a master swordsman that has fought through the Third War and the one raging on now and has not injured his or herself once, resulting in a scarless, pristine warrior.

Unless your character is an automaton that was made to fight, everyone starts off as a novice.

The master swordsman is overused - and I'm something of a victim for it for one of my paladins - but the main reason I have it with him not having received a scar is less martial capability and more... innate grasp of tactics, I guess?

He had enough tactical acumen to hold his own and escape, unharmed, from fights - but it wasn't something that could allow him to lead soldiers into combat.

And he didn't learn how to swing a sword properly until after the Second War.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
The 95% of Blood Elf/Night Elf players that role-play as if they're modern humans in adolescence or early adulthood.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Blood elves in general. In lore, there should be only a few around, barely enough. I mean, come on people, 90% of their population were killed.
Edit: I am fluent in typos
Edited by Augustev on 11/27/2012 5:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am seeing entirely too many death knights who think they are peace loving carebears who fall in love and get married and have kids...

I am a DEATH KNIGHT! I kill things, I do not fall in love! I am not interested in sex, my private parts will remain so, heck I do not even think they are there anymore. Does my character have regrets? Yes, Does he dwell on them and run around all EMO? NO!

Is he a battle scarred veteran? Yes, he was raised by the Lich King and escaped his control, but he is still a warrior. He fights, he kills, he exists to do more of the same. He may be a bit mellower as time goes by and he finds ways of coping with his inner craving. His brothers and sisters in the Ebon Blade are his family. They understand him and what he is going through.

But rp with him is restricted to talk of battles past and those planned in the future. He does not drink or eat, in fact he hardly ever rests. He is trying to restore the honor of his House. Being the last one, he believes, in the lineage, he has no hope of passing on his heritage unless he finds long lost relatives.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
11/27/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Sydric
But rp with him is restricted to talk of battles past and those planned in the future. He does not drink or eat, in fact he hardly ever rests. He is trying to restore the honor of his House. Being the last one, he believes, in the lineage, he has no hope of passing on his heritage unless he finds long lost relatives.

That is the sort of thing i like to see in DK rpers. DKs are undead basically. They may be more intact than the typical forsaken, but they are undead. The whole "Hey my dk has kids and is basically a normal person but with glowing blue eyes" thing isnt something that works. They are made with the sole purpose of battle. They thirst for it, and they crave it no matter how they may act.

Does this limit your rp? Yes, of course it does. But its one of the things you pick up being a dk. If the Knights of the Ebon Blade taught us anything its that dks are determined, snarky, powerful but few in number, and they are effective killing machines.

Other than that, im tired of seeing people who claim to have some high rank. Not everyone can be a General, thats not how military works
Reply Quote
36 Human Monk
Druids that RP in Cat form like it's normal.

Edit:

Very petite female characters, with little muscle, that are extremely strong physically. -_-

Un-scarred war veterans and so forth.

Evil rogues / Evil characters that are a rogue IG

Goody-goody Paladins [ Uther incarnations ]

Dwarves that are drunk consistently.
Edited by Taegenn on 11/28/2012 6:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
11/28/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Taegenn
Dwarves that are drunk consistently.

You ask for the impossible.

But, seriously, I did have a Wildhammer Shamaness in the works a while back that was staunchly stone-cold sober, and would've been willing to call out any drunken dwarf RPers she met for giving in. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it never got off the ground (absolutely not because that would've involved levelling a shaman, no siree <.<).

On-topic...

I'd say, beyond a doubt, the single most annoying AND overused character type I've run into are the habitual "badass" bar-brawlers who challenge anyone who so much as looks at them funny to a fight. At best, they usually tend to be eye-rolling and groan-worthy RPers; at worst, they make you wish you could reach through your monitor and strangle the guy because of how much of a... female hygiene product they are both ICly and OOCly.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Starting to see a lot non pandaren monks who're apparent masters of the way despite having only been introduced to it nary a month or so ago. I suppose it's not really overused...yet. I suspect it will be, however.

Edit: I also rather dislike monk rpers who use the names of rl martial disciplines to describe what their character does. Seeing it more often than I thought I would. Karate still doesn't exist in name in WoW's universe nor does any of the other one's you know about.
Edited by Rosyllyn on 12/11/2012 1:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
11/26/2012 11:55 PMPosted by Maoseitun

Warriors out in the world don't have their armor on 100% of the time.

I'll give you that - but how often does something occur while bathing?

(I didn't add sleeping or bar fights because I'm giving those to you... bathing is the only one I can think of).

Bar fights, ambushes when at rest in camp or sleeping, training (scarred hands, accidental injuries), duels, general fights when at war (many weapons intended for more than one hand relied more on the ability to crush armor inwards rather than to hew straight through it; cuts and stabs and the like happen when there's a big enough rent to jam your smaller blade into), ambushes while tired while on sentry duty, traitors in the camp, house attacked by brigands or opposing faction, made enemies among the opposing faction by being too awesome at fighting so when they're around town there's an assassination attempt, rode in half plate for speed and was attacked, magical attack, out hunting and attacked by a bear...

There's no shortage of reasons or ways a guy is caught off guard without his armor. Five tour frontline vets with no injuries are lazy authors, not good swordsmen.

And, for that matter, I expect everyone who RPs to at least know the rudimentaries of what they're writing. Best if they're good at it IRL, but it's fine if they look it up on Wikipedia or something. Do a little research. I guess my biggest peeve is people who RP medics and don't know how to do medical stuff, I see that way too often.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
11/28/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Trenk
Do a little research. I guess my biggest peeve is people who RP medics and don't know how to do medical stuff, I see that way too often.

"i put a bandage on it"

It's an infection.

"...i put medicine and then a bandage on it"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
11/28/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Volkuza
Do a little research. I guess my biggest peeve is people who RP medics and don't know how to do medical stuff, I see that way too often.

"i put a bandage on it"

It's an infection.

"He's been stabbed in the chest, if we hurry we can-"

"Cauterize it."

"What?"

"I am a doctor. Cauterize it."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/26/2012 10:16 PMPosted by Maoseitun
To be fair to this... that's kind of why plate armour exists. To prevent cuts and wounds.

Plate armor is incredibly expensive. Not all adventuring warriors would be able to afford it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
All that's been brought up are incredibly annoying - the blind hunters who never miss a shot! Urrrghhh.... I rank those up there with the Hunters who can commune with any animal and be their automatic best-friend and would never be attacked by a random wild animal /headdesk

The scar-free battle-hardened awesome swordsman veterans ect...-especially- the females! They have to be dainty and pretty and scar-free yet can flip a switch and kill anyone who she doesn't like /double facepalm

All my characters are physically scarred up in some degree, from my little pretty priestess kid to my battle-hardened female warrior. They also have body-types that match up to their histories, physical abilities, and training - my priestess was an orphan that almost starved to death as a toddler and she is very short and slight of build due to that history of malnutrition while my warrior gets mistaken for a young man due to her height, brawny build, and short hair.

...which leads to warriors with insanely long hair that somehow magically doesn't get used against them. Their character's a a soldier or member of the guard or some other organized military unit and they walk around with uber-long hair? Really?

The lack of research in -anything- - medicine, farming, cooking, skinning, ect. My Priestess is RPed as an absolute Novice with a small mana reserve so most of her healing is done the old fashion way - poultices, bandages, stitches, the works....
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
11/28/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Trenk

"i put a bandage on it"

It's an infection.

"He's been stabbed in the chest, if we hurry we can-"

"Cauterize it."

"What?"

"I am a doctor. Cauterize it."

A broken fibula.

Looks like we'll have to amputate.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Some people just don't understand that scars are hot. And they're a sign of character growth. For a soldier, every scar is a reminder to keep your wits about you, to change your stance and grip ever so slightly. To keep an eye on your opponent and NEVER underestimate them, except maybe gnomes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
11/28/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Fangoroth
Some people just don't understand that scars are hot. And they're a sign of character growth. For a soldier, every scar is a reminder to keep your wits about you, to change your stance and grip ever so slightly. To keep an eye on your opponent and NEVER underestimate them, except maybe gnomes.

And this is on the other end of the misconceptions in regards to scarring. It's very rare, if ever, that scars in reality won't take away much from a person's looks (let alone enhance them). Scars are usually noticeable, (semi-)permanent marks that aren't very pretty, and, depending on the location and type of scarring, can actually really hinder one's abilities; or, in other words, these sorts of things do have consequences.

Case in point: I RP my Paladin as being one of the defenders at Wyrmrest during Deathwing's attack. He happened to get hit by a stray drop (read: giant molten blob) of Deathwing's blood at some point, and believes that he'd have been killed outright if it had been just a couple degrees more in his direction. Just getting grazed by it melted through nearly all of his armor, leaving him with major burns on nearly all of his body. Even with the expert healers available, he still found himself in extreme pain for months afterwards if he wore anything much heavier than standard clothing, and ended up having to take an extended break from his duties so that he could properly recover. Not only that, the burns were so severe that even after he was deemed fully recovered, his swordsmanship is still somewhat awkward (due to the worst of the burning being on his chest).

TL;DR: Scars != Instant awesome with no drawbacks whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/28/2012 08:02 PMPosted by Zpan
...which leads to warriors with insanely long hair that somehow magically doesn't get used against them. Their character's a a soldier or member of the guard or some other organized military unit and they walk around with uber-long hair? Really?

H... Helmets?

11/28/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Fangoroth
And they're a sign of character growth

Actually... for my paladin it's a sign of death if he gets a legitimate scar. (He has scars on his fingers and etc. from testing his blade). But he has a pistol at his hip, since he's going to give himself his first - and last - scar when it comes down to it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
There's only so much hair that can be fit under a helmet or a hood. As an editor/Beta-reader, I have come across people who think you can fit hair that would fall to the floor beneath a skintight hood...with no visible deformities from the bundled hair. And how many RPers either take off a helmet at the first chance or just forgo helmets entirely so they can let their long flowing hair 'wave free in the breeze like a banner of gold' or something like that?

And if they claim they are a part of an organized military unit, not a militia or adventuring warrior...they have to follow these things called 'regulations'. Which cover the armor they wear, the weapons and shields they use, and the length of their hair, especially if you are a low to mid-ranked soldier. Given this isn't the real world, the higher ranks its probably a bit more lenient on breaking the regulations, so they can wear whatever armor, weapons, hair length, ect.

Which is why my Worgen warrior - who stays in her human form outside of battle - is described in RPs that take place shortly after the Cataclysm as having 'shaggy short hair that is starting to grow out of the regulated Gilnean recruit's cut'.

Which goes back to the key pet peeve of mine - RPers who do no research on the field the claim their character is an expert in. If your character is a healer, do some research on first aid and medicine. If your character is a farmer, do research on farming. If your character is a soldier or law enforcement, do research and get an idea of what might be the expected duties of your character - patrolling, reporting in, laying an ambush, ect.

And scars are not 'hot'. For the most part, they are a testament that your character took a beating and managed to have survived it. My Rogue is a mute due to injuries gained in a near fatal dog mauling as a child and as such has bandages from beneath the chin down to the navel as well as on her arms concealing her scars because they are hideously disfiguring. They disfigure her to the degree she is as flat-chested as a prepubescent child.

A note on scars and healed broken bones: weather screws with 'em. When it is cold or the atmosphere is heavy, they hurt. My mother broke her arm as a child and when we have rain or cold weather coming, she knows it because that healed break starts hurting. There is also more scar tissue beneath what you see on the surface.

And everyone has scars. Some are from epic battles. But most are from mundane things like...falling out of a tree, burning themselves by touching a hot pot, getting scratched by a cat, or tripping on a stair as a child. Its a part of life - no one is utterly without flaw, be it physically or in personality. And that is what makes a character interesting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]