Over-used Characters.

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/26/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Vrizzle
The super zealous, over religious paladin/priest.

Well, to be honest, it;s pretty much a staple of a Paladin to be devoted to a single cause, which can lead to crazy zealotry in some.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
12/01/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Claudel

Well, to be honest, it;s pretty much a staple of a Paladin to be devoted to a single cause, which can lead to crazy zealotry in some.

Like the Scarlet Crusade /nod
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
12/01/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Claudel

And with the way religions in this game work, the more devout and religious you are, the more power you gain from said deity. I'd be surprised if paladins and priests DIDN'T try to be as religious as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
This thread is a great guide for NOT making characters. It's almost uncanny.

"Does your character idea show up here? Yes? BACK TO SQUARE ONE."
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
This thread is a great guide for NOT making characters. It's almost uncanny.

"Does your character idea show up here? Yes? BACK TO SQUARE ONE."

You could just search "Hallinton" and check out the ideas in most of the threads I've ever posted in.

It would give an equally good idea. :p
Reply Quote
13 Human Priest
Doesn't seem to make a difference what someone comes up with, there will always be someone who will try to shoot it down. Lore wise or character wise. Creativity is not something everyone is born with. Some can do very well with it others somply do not have the talent.

Instead of stomping on people for not having imagination, you could try some constructive advice on how to make a character interesting without making it a bland cookie cutter part of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
There is really no point in getting bent out of shape over a light 'fluff' thread like this. The OP stated clearly he just started it for a bit of fun, not some deep, meaningful conversation on character development. Also, I admit to just skimming a few of the pages, but I didn't see anyone getting stomped on; a few cliche ideas did, yes, but no people. It's uncanny how often those two things get incorrectly used synonymously.

If someone were to come along and make a 'what do you think of X character' thread (as happens a lot around here,) that is when fellow RPers start posting constructive criticism and helpful advice. Oddly enough, the people who often try to help the most are still accused of the exact same thing you seem to be saying here.

And on topic:
Teenage elves.
Edited by Istella on 12/2/2012 9:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Children. Why would you RP a child? It usually ends up with the child being either elf or orc and being EXTREMELY good at axes and swords, know everything in the world, and is like 6 years old and walks around. I mean, it's just like, why?
That and half-elves.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Warlocks who use demons in public places. Stop. Just stop. You're going to get executed for this.
Warlocks (especially elven ones) who constantly use Dark Apotheosis. You're not cool. I can't understand you because you're constantly speaking Eredun, and you make me insanely mad. Go away.
Plague-obsessed undead. Where... where, oh where are my free-thinkers?
Non-pandaren monks. Just because.
People trying to be "hardcore" or "badass," it's not working out for you.
The overzealous paladin. Yes, YES, just what I need: more people to tell me that my existence is unnatural and forbidden, like I didn't know that already.
Scarlet Crusaders... ugh, please die, please.
Elves with troll accents. STOP THIS. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD, STOP.
My mental list of stuff I hate goes on and on and on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
House cat druids.

You know, the attention starved people who butt into your RP with their noggenfoggered cat form druids and do nothing but rub up against people's legs, purr and meow? Generally being distracting?

I see them far too often for my liking.

I agree entirely, house cat druids are one of my biggest pet peeves, especially the ones who pretend like they're not even druids, just giant undomesticated cats who somehow wound up in the middle of a crowded city...Ya that makes a whole lot of sense...*eyeroll*

I see a lot of people using size-increasing buffs, mostly Tauren and Worgen but sometimes the occasional male human with anime hair or female draenei. It wouldn't be so annoying except for the fact that 9 times out of 10 these people just instantly assume that because they're bigger that means they're nigh invincible in combat and therefore have the right to intimidate/bully other people around.

I'm also kinda sick of the people who march into a tavern decked out in full Grand Marshall's armor and then just stand by the door not saying anything as if their mere presence should be enough for people to flock over to them in droves. A good leader is measured by their actions and personality guys, not their ability to grind honor for a useless (and cumbersome-looking) suit of garish armor.

Edit: Also, people who RP as children....Almost as annoying as the people who actually support and encourage them. I don't think a person could broadcast a signal of "I WANT ATTENTION!!! RP WITH ME PWEEEESSEEEE!!!" if they tried...
Edited by Hadhan on 12/2/2012 10:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
12/02/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Hadhan
Edit: Also, people who RP as children....Almost as annoying as the people who actually support and encourage them. I don't think a person could broadcast a signal of "I WANT ATTENTION!!! RP WITH ME PWEEEESSEEEE!!!" if they tried...

Totally.
My beef with blood elf RP is that: They are more or less 2 types. The "bad boy/girl" who is an outcast, really good at fighting, shunned by Silvermoon, that type, and the upper-class arrogant elves who just aren't fun to RP with.
That and shamans who believe that they can use elements like a mage uses arcane, anytime you want. Also shamans who take stuff from Avatar: Last Airbender, like this orc I met who's name was Toff Bayfong, spelled like that. She was blind and saw through her feet.
That and blind people who can manage to hit you even when they are blind and a good 3 feet away, facing the other direction.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
12/02/2012 04:04 AMPosted by Rubiyates
Instead of stomping on people for not having imagination, you could try some constructive advice on how to make a character interesting without making it a bland cookie cutter part of Azeroth.

I don't want to derail, so I'll just comment on this real fast and then leave it at that.

07/15/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Hallinton
Nailing on odds and ends, over powering a character, ect ect do not make them fun or interesting. They make them boring and trite

12/01/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Hallinton
What makes a character interesting is how they interract with the world. The struggles they face, the challenges they have to overcome, learning, growing, ect ect.

12/01/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Hallinton
you can hit everything without being outlandish. Every sort of character interraction, every type of growth, every "situation" that you could want ot put a character in to make them grow can be achieved without streaking into the grey (or worse). It doesn't take creativity to say "I'M AN ANGEL!" or "I'M A HUMAN FROM THE REAL WORLD!" "I'M MASTERCHIEF!" and ismply run with an idea, even if you're attempting to explore a certain character type in a certain situation.
Reply Quote
13 Human Priest
Those of you who are so good at rp that you think you can dictate to others are sadly disillusioned. Just posting in threads and saying things like this seems to imply that the average person trying to rp automatically knows how to.

Not everyone is good at creating a plausible character. Not just anyone can go up on stage and recite Hamlet and make it sound compelling. Did you ever wonder why the vast 'majority' of people playing the game do NOT rp? It's simply because they cannot, or do not wish to have a bunch of people making fun of them.

Some people like to act, and yes rp is acting. Some like to pretend they know what they are doing. Others are judgemental because they think they know everything there is to rp, and spend all their time pointing fingers and shouting, "You're doing it wrong!"

Celebrities are the same way, The vast majority of the actors and those who make a living in front of a camera are egotistical and standoffish. They do not relate well to their fans because they think they are something "high above" everyone else.

The ones who truly have it together are open to their fans, responding to questions with candor and humbleness. They sign autographs, host charity events, donate their time and money to help others less fortunate. These are the people I admire.

I see too much here in the threads of people who insist that the beginning rpers should be creative and make believeable characters. How can they do that if they have no talent for it or no idea of how or where to start?

Unless you have taken some education courses in drama or acting, you are not going to have a clue. Most beginners look at the game and simply think, " It looks like fun, I want to try it."

Then they come here or are directed here and maybe they look at the stickies, most of the time they do not. They ask questions like little children. They have seen movies or television series they like and want to imitate. It is probably the only way they have to come up with a concept, that is to copy someone elses.

Then they ask a question about lore...and the crap starts flowing. Arguements that are basically like over some point or other that really boils down to semantics and finer points of the written language. It would scare the heck out of anyone to ever ask another question or even to try.

And you all wonder what has happened to the role play forums and why there are hardly any good threads to join? It just might be like trying to learn to swim in a pool full of pirahna!
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
If you want to discuss your issues, I'd be happy to do so in another thread. But as this was a thread explicitly started for fun and silly purposes, so I won't further derail it beyond the one post I made.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/02/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Rubiyates
Those of you who are so good at rp

I am.

that you think you can dictate to others

I can.

are sadly disillusioned.

I'm not.

Just posting in threads and saying things like this seems to imply that the average person trying to rp automatically knows how to.

Nothing you said leads up to this conclusion. I know how to cook. I can advise others on it and am willing to do so. Because I am willing and able to teach cooking means I assume the folk I am trying to teach already know my craft.

If they knew how I do what I do, I wouldn't bother teaching them.

Not everyone is good at creating a plausible character. Not just anyone can go up on stage and recite Hamlet and make it sound compelling.

Non sequiter. I can write. I cannot act. They are different.

Did you ever wonder why the vast 'majority' of people playing the game do NOT rp? It's simply because they cannot, or do not wish to have a bunch of people making fun of them.

Or because they don't want to, which is why the "vast majority" of non-RP'rs I've ever talked to don't RP. Reasons range from "It's silly", "It's stupid", and "I don't like drama" to "I raid and PvP, I don't log in to waste my time on something that doesn't advance my character."

Some people like to act, and yes rp is acting.

No it isn't. Acting involves a lot more than simply writing for a character. Acting often involves following predirected lines and carrying out actions (see: acting) convincingly. RP is much more fluid and creativity-oriented, with the bonus of being able to giggle at your own wit without it showing up on screen or stage and ruining your career forever.

Some like to pretend they know what they are doing.

And some of us do.

Others are judgemental because they think they know everything there is to rp, and spend all their time pointing fingers and shouting, "You're doing it wrong!"

No one thinks they know everything; fewer spend all their time pointing fingers and shouting. Even if these people did exist, none of them are in this thread.

Celebrities are the same way, The vast majority of the actors and those who make a living in front of a camera are egotistical and standoffish. They do not relate well to their fans because they think they are something "high above" everyone else.

An idea perpetuated by their fans. Fans that we, as writers on a board in a forum do not have. We hold ourselves accountable for our own work, and we hold others' accountable for theirs. If their work is not good, why should I deny that I'm better?

My friend Carl can beat me up in a straight fight. In fact, he has. I don't hold it against him or find him immodest just because he will admit to being more skilled than I am in a brawl. Similarly, you're taking it too hard when people agree that they're good or self-advertise. It's not a slight to those less able.

The ones who truly have it together are open to their fans,

Of which we have none.

responding to questions with candor and humbleness.

It's humility, and again, no fans.

They sign autographs, host charity events, donate their time and money to help others less fortunate. These are the people I admire.

That's great that you admire them. What do they have to do with us?

I see too much here in the threads of people who insist that the beginning rpers should be creative and make believeable characters. How can they do that if they have no talent for it or no idea of how or where to start?

They can ask questions, or take constructive criticism. No one's perfect their first time out. Except Traugar.[/quote]

(( Cont. ))
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
(( Cont. ))

Unless you have taken some education courses in drama or acting, you are not going to have a clue. Most beginners look at the game and simply think, " It looks like fun, I want to try it."

Or an English course, I guess. Or any experience reading. Or if they've ever seen a movie. Or anything that exposes you to literature ever, at all.

Then they come here or are directed here and maybe they look at the stickies, most of the time they do not. They ask questions like little children. They have seen movies or television series they like and want to imitate. It is probably the only way they have to come up with a concept, that is to copy someone elses.

You don't give much credit to newcomers, do you? I've seen some inventive concepts from the new guys. Are they suitable to the Warcraft lore? No. Are they creative? Oh Hell yeah.

Then they ask a question about lore...and the crap starts flowing. Arguements that are basically like over some point or other that really boils down to semantics and finer points of the written language. It would scare the heck out of anyone to ever ask another question or even to try.

Please, direct me to the first place where someone humbly asked for advice and got shouted down.

And you all wonder what has happened to the role play forums and why there are hardly any good threads to join? It just might be like trying to learn to swim in a pool full of pirahna!

It's really not at all.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
I am.

that you think you can dictate to others

I can.

are sadly disillusioned.

I'm not.
Reply Quote
Let's get this train wreck back on track, shall we?

I personally hate Gnomes/Goblins who are engineers, and use it and basically use it as get out of jail free card. Have to fight a dragon? Lemme just whip up a super mega death cannon using a needle, some dirt, and this ham sandwich.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

I personally hate Gnomes/Goblins who are engineers, and use it and basically use it as get out of jail free card. Have to fight a dragon? Lemme just whip up a super mega death cannon using a needle, some dirt, and this ham sandwich.

To be fair, that could be a viable strategy. The dragon eats the ham sandwich, then starts coughing and choking because it was covered in dirt, and the needle will pierce their upper mouth and into their brains, instantly killing it.
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage

To be fair, that could be a viable strategy. The dragon eats the ham sandwich, then starts coughing and choking because it was covered in dirt, and the needle will pierce their upper mouth and into their brains, instantly killing it.

*Is never leaving home without a diversionary ham sandwich ever again.*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]