Noob Mana Question

63 Worgen Death Knight
If mana pools are fixed and all abilities are based on percentages of base mana, what is the difference of between having 1000 mana or 10 mana. an ability that costs ten percent of our mana can only be cast 10 times in both situations.

Im very confused. can someone please explain what the point of increasing our mana pools as we level up is?
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
Who knows what the point is, because it is true that no matter what the mana pool, you're limited in how much you can heal, and its the same for any amount of mana.

It could be because of SPIRIT, having spirit give you 12k mana per 5 seconds with a 10k mana pool would just be stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It doesn't really do much but seeing a character with 10 mana would make everything use decimals which would suck.

A better reason is the fact that our regen does not increase adequately to match the rise in costs. That is the reason of increasing our mana pool.

This is a really rough example:

lets say healing rain costed 10k mana at 85 (100k mana pool). at 90 this will cost 30k mana (300k mana pool).

Let's say my regen pool was adequate at 85 so that I regained 10k mana in the timespan it took me to cast that healing rain (so essentially i could cast it forever). At 90, our regen does not magically increase to 30k. its somewhere between 10k-30k. Its a rough example, but you can get the point from this.

So the point of increasing mana pools is to allow blizzard to really fine-tune spirit as a regen stat and since they have to find a way to nerf us post-expansion. The way they did it here was by increasing our mana pools (100k --> 300k) without allowing spirit to completely catch up.... or has it? i honestly don't remember my regen back at the end of dragon soul.

That and it makes us feel more "powerful" by seeing a bigger number even though in reality it doesn't do anything.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Deathisias
Im very confused. can someone please explain what the point of increasing our mana pools as we level up is?

It's a little outdated, but sticking with an increasing mana pool helps maintain the RPG feel of "my numbers increase when I level up".

Also, increasing the mana as you level helps devalue trinkets that grant +X mana or +X spirit. For example, Jaws of Defeat makes spells cost less mana, but while it was nice for a level 85 spellcaster it's less interesting to a 90 spellcaster. If mana pools stayed fixed, Blizzard would have to find another way to make old gear go obsolete.

Other mana designs are possible, sure, but the current design is reasonable in being just a moderate change from the Cata design.
Reply Quote
63 Worgen Death Knight
thx for the responces guys.
The mana regen seems like reasonable reason but then again they could simply make spirit less effective as you lvl, making you need more of it.
I guess since in previouse versions of the game larger mana pools meant something, they tried to keep some of the feel of the previouse expansions, and at the same time avoided reworking the above trinkets, those like them and spirit as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
It's so they can differentiate resource pool differences between rogue energy, hunter focus and caster mana since they are all effectively the same thing just with different regeneration speeds.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
If mana pools are fixed and all abilities are based on percentages of base mana, what is the difference of between having 1000 mana or 10 mana. an ability that costs ten percent of our mana can only be cast 10 times in both situations.

It would be X% of your base mana. Not a % of the mana you have left. So if your base mana pool is 3000 and your ability costs 10% of that it will be 300 mana. Once you go below 300 mana you can no longer use that ability.
Reply Quote
It would be X% of your base mana. Not a % of the mana you have left. So if your base mana pool is 3000 and your ability costs 10% of that it will be 300 mana. Once you go below 300 mana you can no longer use that ability.

lol the OP is written pretty clearly. He was obv talking about the difference in BASE MANA being 1000 or 10.

It's a little outdated, but sticking with an increasing mana pool helps maintain the RPG feel of "my numbers increase when I level up".

Also, increasing the mana as you level helps devalue trinkets that grant +X mana or +X spirit. For example, Jaws of Defeat makes spells cost less mana, but while it was nice for a level 85 spellcaster it's less interesting to a 90 spellcaster. If mana pools stayed fixed, Blizzard would have to find another way to make old gear go obsolete.

Are the most likely reasons, although i suspect that the main reason is the latter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It is possible to change it so from lvl 1 all the way up to lvl 90 you have 1000 mana, much how other energy resources are fixed. The only problem is having to recode every single spell and every single item that affected mana. I could see that happening in a future xpac, but that's too much work to happen as a regular patch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Honestly, having 10 or 1000 mana instead of what we have currently is not aesthetically pleasing to me; I personally prefer to see larger numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, note that spell costs are based off base mana, not total. This doesn't matter in most cases, but some classes have abilities that increase mana pools (Gnome get a mana pool boost, as do Monks with Ascension. Not sure if there are others). These boost mana pool size without increasing spell costs, so you can cast more of the same spell before going oom (ignoring regen effects).

Otherwise, however, the reason we have 300k mana instead of 10 mana is to make it easier to define very discrete mana costs, and to satisfy players' enjoyment of large numbers.
Edited by Daerien on 11/28/2012 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]