Macbook Pro Retina 5.1 problems..

Support Forum Agent
Have you tried the following troubleshooting steps in order?

1. Reset UI
2. Reset SMC
3. Playtest with no addons installed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
WE HAVE ALL SAID WE DID THAT! ARE YOU A BOT?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm running the same computer and encountering the same problem. I cannot run at full resolution unless I'm content to accept a 20 FPS max on poor. If I want to run anything above that, I'll need to decrease my resolution dramatically. I've tried everything the forums have suggested, and still haven't seen a fix. I've removed, disabled add-ons, uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game, done all of the things Blizz posts in this forum have suggested, and still, nothing.

It's been an ongoing issue since 5.0, though 5.1's release certainly made it far worse.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
12/04/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Elanith
WE HAVE ALL SAID WE DID THAT! ARE YOU A BOT?

Some said one or the other, but not in this order. I needed clarification if this was done in this order, as often I see users remove addons but then add them back in prior to doing a play test.

And please refrain from posting in caps. I know it may be frustrating, but remember we want to remain calm, and civil.

I'll look to see if there is anything else missing, but from our side, we're unable to reproduce FPS issues on our end, so is doesn't seem anything directly related to a patch. Troubleshooting that we might suggest will be eliminating factors to narrow down what may be causing it.
Edited by Machkhan on 12/4/2012 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
56 Orc Warrior
I've had another go at doing all the steps you suggested in the correct order and without loading add ons before the start up. Still no change with the poor frame rates
Reply Quote
56 Orc Warrior
Mine appears to be working fine again. I noticed that my macbook pro was still trying to charge to 100%. The moment it got to 100% and the power cord light went green the frame rate picked up, not sure if this is the problem for others but worth checking out
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I did a fresh install last night and fps returned to normal. This morning however I was back to around 20 fps. After following the steps above all was good again. Strange thing is my install of Diablo and SC also seem to be affected with the same frame rate problems.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I am having the low frame rate on my MacBook Pro Retina also.
I hover between 26FPS and 40FPS

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

I have done the following in exactly the order specified.
I have no add ons installed and have had none since MOP was released.
I have no special hardware connected.
I am running off 5ghz WiFi.

1. Reset UI
2. Reset SMC
3. Playtest with no addons installed.

Maybe the MacBook Pro Retina is just too "different" for WoW?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I also tried connecting directly to gigabyte Ethernet no difference.

To be honest, I've always been suspicious of the reporting of FPS in WoW.

While the number is low, my game play seems smooth. If that's worth anything.

And on the good news side of things... man is MOP it gorgeous on this screen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/04/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Machkhan
I'll look to see if there is anything else missing, but from our side, we're unable to reproduce FPS issues on our end, so is doesn't seem anything directly related to a patch. Troubleshooting that we might suggest will be eliminating factors to narrow down what may be causing it.

Interesting. Can you give us some information about your test configuration, including hardware and the WoW settings? Is your MacBook Pro Retina set for best resolution for retina or something else? What sort of FPS figures are you seeing? What is your test environment like? I.e. are you connected to a very low population test server or are you connecting to a realm with 10,000 gnomes running around Stormwind? What version of OS X are you running.

Do you get excessive fans running the minute you log in?

It would be nice to have information from which we can attempt to draw correlations.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/05/2012 08:44 AMPosted by Valinda
I did a fresh install last night and fps returned to normal. This morning however I was back to around 20 fps. After following the steps above all was good again. Strange thing is my install of Diablo and SC also seem to be affected with the same frame rate problems.

I love your guild name. Heh.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Interesting. Can you give us some information about your test configuration, including hardware and the WoW settings? Is your MacBook Pro Retina set for best resolution for retina or something else? What sort of FPS figures are you seeing? What is your test environment like? I.e. are you connected to a very low population test server or are you connecting to a realm with 10,000 gnomes running around Stormwind? What version of OS X are you running.

It would be nice to have information from which we can attempt to draw correlations.

The team attempts to use the same build with various settings on many different servers including live realms. They have basically most model Macs that have been put out. They also have the ability to test on various OS builds.

As far as specifics, I do not know for sure, as I'm not in development. They use the data I give them and take it from there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

The team attempts to use the same build with various settings on many different servers including live realms. They have basically most model Macs that have been put out. They also have the ability to test on various OS builds.

As far as specifics, I do not know for sure, as I'm not in development. They use the data I give them and take it from there.

I understand. It's a shame. Being able to analyze differences and similarities in settings would help to isolate the problem. As it is, we have no idea if we're on the same page or not.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 (MacBookPro10,1), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

Had ridiculously low frame rates.

What I noticed was that the problem was most common after I connect either of my external displays (at work or home) via the Thunderbolt/DVI adapter, and then disconnect them... I don't play on or with the externals attached. The next launch of WOW was almost certain to have low frame rates, and I had to perform the SMC reset to get frame rates back to acceptable levels.

Note: If I was having the low frame rate issue, it affected all games. Diablo III was almost unplayable without resetting the SMC and WOW's frame rates were in the low teens if not less than 10.

I have added steps to this regimen, which I haven't seen anywhere else on the forums, that have kept the problem away for almost a week now, even when switching from one display (at home), to another (at the office), with the machine sleeping in between. The added steps were removing some windowserver.plist files, and resetting SMC & Parameter RAM afterwards. This is supposed to be the fix for no video out to a projector or other device via TB to VGA adapter (which happened to me the other day).

Remove:
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.XXXXX.plist
Note: You'll need to hold down [option] while on the 'Go' menu to see the Library folder
Shutdown.
Reset SMC ([shift]+[control]+[option]+[power])
Reset PRAM by powering on the machine then holding down [command][option]+P+R through 3 startup chimes.

Hopefully this doesn't come back... but this combo has kept it away for quite a while now.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Priest
Machkhan - thank you for your ongoing feedback and support.

Given that the MacBook Retina is a standardized product with only 4 versions, would you be willing to solicit your team for specific recommended graphics settings? I have found that I get very low frame rate (e.g., 1-frame fireballs) if I do anything less than a low resolution with Fair graphics. I have just returned to WoW after many years on a PC with a high end graphics card and am now using a MacBook Pro, with absolutely no mods or anything like that. My thought is that there is something troubling when, at 1900x1080 on my PC in 2005 I was able to get more fluid framerate than today on my MacBook retina.

Another recommendation to your team is that many software packages have elected to perform post-processing of text that calculates at the MacBook Pro native resolution instead of the selected WoW resolution (see: Microsoft Office, which was challenged with blurry text in excel until a patch shortly after the release of the MacBook Pro). If the WoW client can support this, it should marginally improve frame rate while simultaneously providing a substantially crisper fidelity to users... plus, depending on how WoW has been programmed, it's possible it's a project you could assign to an intern that they could complete in 2 weeks with testing. And, finally, as we see graphic resolutions improve on other systems to that of the Retina, it will obviously behoove Blizzard to start addressing this problem.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Priest
HEY!
Crazy realization here with the MacBook Pro.
I am now playing WoW on my Macbook Pro Retina (base model, with the least amount of RAM) at native resolution and on the 'Ultra' or 'Good' Setting depending on area population. However, I had to play it on terrible resolution and with the 'Fair' or even 'Poor' setting yesterday.

I figured out the problem. It makes me feel like a moron.

You have to plug in the computer. When the computer is not plugged it, it substantially underpowers the graphics card and GPU capabilities are probably about 1/10th that of when the PC is plugged it.

I know this sounds dumb, but I had no idea this was the case. LESSON LEARNED.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The problem is kind of similar. I got my retina macbook pro 15 inch on Christmas. I can run it on ultra and i get over 40 fps in very crowded areas. usually over 70fps. My mac gets extremely hot when ever i play games. Even for Mine craft! Any computer worth $2000 should be able to run that. Does anyone have the same problem?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I started experiencing the same problem of low FPS and having to lower the graphic settings to low just to get 20 FPS. I followed the instructions above of reseting UI, SMC, and play test with no addons and im back to getting 60 FPS with settings on GOOD. Thanks for that!

Now to add one add-on at a time to see if I can find the culprit if that is indeed the case. I will say this, the game loks a LOT better to me now for some reason... not sure what that is about...

I have a 2.6GHz MacBook Pro Retina w/ 16GB SDRAM...

Happy gaming!
Reply Quote
I'm having same issues with low FPS. Besides low FPS I'm getting a "flickering/tearing" when I move around. Its very noticeable while mounted.

I deleted WTF, cache, etc (those steps never seem to help/work lol).
I also tried Vsync with and without triple buffer and it didn't see a change.
I can't go above 40~ FPS even with max fps disabled (set to 60). Not even hugging a wall.
I ran WoW on 64-bit and 32-bit.
I reseted the SMC and it improved a little bit, but the issues are still there.

I did all of the above running NO addons and with graphic settings set to "low". My screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 DPI (not in HiDPI because WoW won't even pass 30 FPS, since blizzard added full support for Retina displays). Also I disabled the "automatic graphic switching" option
My laptop is a Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz - 16GB RAM - 758 SSD
A $3,800 computer and can't run WoW smoothly...
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
I’ve been having performance issues since yesterday’s maintenance. While previously I was getting 80-110 fps uncapped (I later set a 60 fps cap) at the 1898x1186 resolution (why such strange resolution options for these displays?).

I have the 2.7ghz / 16GB RAM / 1GB GeForce 650M model 15” retina display macbook pro.

After yesterday’s maintenance, I am only getting around 30fps on the same exact settings. Any idea as to why this would happen? This also impacted Diablo III.

Non-Blizzard apps and games continue to run perfectly for me, so clearly this has something to do with the most recent maintenance. I’ve not once had issues with WoW or DIII yet so I’m a bit perplexed. I haven’t yet had a chance to try resetting my SMC but found it odd that all of the sudden this issue came up after the scheduled maintenance. Should I anticipate that resetting the SMC work? I know for others previously this was a fix--but one that would have to be repeated from time to time; however, seeing as this issue never once reared its head for me until the most recent maintenance I was curious...

Also—when I mouse over the menu button and it shows framerate, it also now shows a line saying “Download 0% Complete.” Is there a post-maintenance download that needs to install in the background?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]