Macbook Pro Retina 5.1 problems..

MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
01/16/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Álvaro
I haven’t yet had a chance to try resetting my SMC but found it odd that all of the sudden this issue came up after the scheduled maintenance.

did you put machine to sleep during maintenance? Cause that'd DEFINTELY do it. I suggest you try the smc reset for sure if you did, then avoid machine sleep mode as much as possible until/if apple fixes that nasty opengl bug.
Reply Quote
So, I made a full restore (clean/fresh OSX Lion install) and I still have the same problem. Again, NO addons running, low graphics settings. I thought my WoW files were damage because the rendering of the mounting was damaged, but after a fresh install of WoW, plus a hardware failure test (cmd +D before the grey screen); which said I had no hardware issues. I still have low FPS plus white mountains.

I attach the file on the following link.

http://imgur.com/Dcp9s

Thanks.

Again.I have a 2.7ghz / 16GB RAM / 1GB GeForce 650M / 758 SSD / model 15” Retina Display Macbook Pro
Edited by Mcclaine on 1/17/2013 12:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
62 Pandaren Monk
I had this exact same issue. Previously I ran on Ultra settings on my MBP and got decent frame rates. Then after the maintenance, it plummeted to 4 fps and maybe up to 9-10 on lower settings.

After reading this thread...

I removed the cache sub-folders and moved the add ons to the desktop. This seems to have fixed the issue. I'm now back to ultra settings with 20-30 fps.

I'm now adding back in the add ons. I'll update the thread when I find the culprits.
Reply Quote
62 Pandaren Monk
UPDATE:

I put all my addons back a few at a time. The problem did not return. I can only assume it was the cache.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This problem seems to be still unresolved. Can we please get a fix to this? I hate only being able to run at "Fair" or "Good" graphics, when I have one of the best computers on the market. Any solutions to this blizz?

I run at 10-15 fps... It is constantly gimping my arena games when I can't see things happening real time.. or as smoothly as possible that is.
Reply Quote
I still have the problem. I can't pass 30 fps. Although if I go inside a building sometimes it increase to my cap (60 fps). But the "flickering" is still there while I move around.

I format my laptop, did a hardware test again (no errors found), downloaded and installed WoW from servers. Still have the same issues plus the white graphics.

http://imgur.com/1YHEVtg

Thanks.
Edited by Mcclaine on 1/20/2013 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll pass this issue up to our team and review it. It is weird that the white mountain issue still persist.

As far as the FPS, are you trying to play on high/ultra and play at the native resolution?
Reply Quote
No, I don't play on native resolution, before I launch WoW I switch to DPI. If I play on HiDPI (native resolution) it will drop to 10~ fps. I play with everything on "low" except for view distance and environment detail, which are set to "good".
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Same problem here, 15" MBP Retina 16GB RAM Nvidia 650m. It has been my experience that every so often no matter what I do to try and fix this framerate issue it just won't work. It's happened multiple times to me every few weeks or so. I don't have any idea what the issue is, but it is definitely annoying since two days ago I was playing at 2880x1800 at (Good) Settings with Environment detail and Draw Distance on High, averaging about 40 FPS and now, without changing anything at all I log in and struggle to maintain 5 FPS.

It most definitely isn't a Add-On issue, I feel like it isn't even anything on my (our) ends. Not to put the blame on Blizzard or anything.
Edited by Musclepharm on 1/22/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Everything was working great for me after following the instructions on this thread until this last patch on Tuesday - now I'm back to 5-10 FPS again. If everytime Blizzard patches I have to go through the PITA process of reseting UI, SMC, and then reinstalling add-ons, etc., then I am not sure Blizzard will continue to have my business.

I think Blizzard has enough of this issue (as seen throughout this thread) to put some real effort behind it and get it fixed.

Guild Wars 2 is starting to look better and better...
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Has anybody had any success or has this been solved? I just picked up a retina and I'm debating on selling my m17xr2 w/7970 m ( ultra everything >100fps lol) because its too darn big and heavy even though I love the RGB display...

Plugging it in solve the problem? I'm surprised people were getting high frames to begin with unplugged.. I would have assumed it would be gimped unplugged as std fare.
Reply Quote
Has anybody had any success or has this been solved? I just picked up a retina and I'm debating on selling my m17xr2 w/7970 m ( ultra everything >100fps lol) because its too darn big and heavy even though I love the RGB display...

Plugging it in solve the problem? I'm surprised people were getting high frames to begin with unplugged.. I would have assumed it would be gimped unplugged as std fare.

OS 10.8.3 and an SMC update seem to have resolved my problems. The OS update included fixes for various GPU drivers but I suspect the larger issue for me was SMC bugs, as resetting the SMC each time before playing was helping me to work around the issue before the update went out.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Anyone know the resolution to this? I recently bought my mac, installed WOW and logged in, within 3 minutes the keyboard was getting hot and the area above the F3, F4 and F5 keys was finger-burning temp. I had to set my in-game resolution to low and the heat decreased but it still gets way to hot. Logged out and it immediately cooled off.

Oh, and absolutely NO addons are installed.

MacBookPro10,1
Intel Core i7
2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Edited by Morningsong on 4/13/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I have this exact issue, I have a rMBP running 2.6GhZ running at 8GB with quad core, when i run wow the GPU diode immediately climbs to around 90 degrees celsius and the CPU is hovering around 88c - surely too high. Is this a Blizz bug? I saw original threads pre-5.05 where the heat issue was supposed to be solved?

Is it just me?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]