AQ and Viscidus

81 Draenei Warrior

Good to know.

OT - Was you toon previously a Draenei Shammy? Your name is familiar to me.

I have a Draenei Shammy that is level 20ish maybe...haven't touched it for years and have never posted from it, so it probably wasn't me :)

Lol

Yeah I meant Adelaide. The name stands out to me from back before I took a couple months off at the start of MoP. Maybe just a fried memory though, so who knows? :P
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior

Solo? If you solo and not die inside stomach, then it is something they changed for 5.1, it doesn't behave that way before.

Yes, solo. That's why I said I would have agreed previously because I've never seen it work out that way.

That would be a great news, I'll try it later tonight, hopefully can get the axe finally without bugging my friends.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Comparing Razoregore to Viscidus is just stupid. Razoregore is not soloable due to mechanics. Viscidus is not soloable because he is harder. Big difference.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/29/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Irøh
Comparing Razoregore to Viscidus is just stupid. Razoregore is not soloable due to mechanics. Viscidus is not soloable because he is harder. Big difference.

Is shatter not a mechanic now?
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
11/29/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Irøh

As someone else pointed out - go read the patch notes. Razorgore was changed to make him soloable and people have done it. I saw some youtube video of a Druid doing it - he got aggro on himself by tossing HoTs up which of course gives out healing threat and attracts mobs.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
11/29/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Adelaide

Is shatter not a mechanic now?

Apparently not. Having to freeze the boss then hit him 75 times in 15 secs is um...well erm... something else?

Viscidus in theory is a lot easier then Razorgore back before the patch changes. Razorgore is collecting the adds and hoping he doesn't glitch out and wipe you and not having your controller take damage which breaks the MC. Viscidus is just standing there and hitting him with the appropriate attack till he keels over dead. And if you fail you just walk outside his room to reset.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
11/29/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Reshaari
EDIT: Also, all bosses in Naxx are soloable. Some easier than others, but I'm not aware of any boss in Naxx that can't be handled by every class.

Gluth.

Can't kill the zombies before he eats them.

Try a flat out DPS burn. I did him on 10 and was easily able to out heal his zombie eating butt. He also gave me a pet! But really, while I can't be sure about monks, if you HAVE a healing debuff (like mortal strike), keep that sucker up on him at ALL times.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Try a flat out DPS burn. I did him on 10 and was easily able to out heal his zombie eating butt. He also gave me a pet! But really, while I can't be sure about monks, if you HAVE a healing debuff (like mortal strike), keep that sucker up on him at ALL times.

I killed him as a mistweaver monk. So any dps spec should be able to out damage the zombies as well. And no, monks don't have a mortal strike type debuff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Snowfox
If you think you -have- to do it, and can't find any way to with one class, and can't/won't bring a different class - then bring a friend. You don't have to solo anything.

This is what people are missing. Just because Blizzard made it easier for people to solo some old raids it doesn't mean that everyone is supposed to easily solo the old raids.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/29/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Shunli
If you think you -have- to do it, and can't find any way to with one class, and can't/won't bring a different class - then bring a friend. You don't have to solo anything.

This is what people are missing. Just because Blizzard made it easier for people to solo some old raids it doesn't mean that everyone is supposed to easily solo the old raids.

It should be possible regardless of class. It's not soloable if you have to bring someone else.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
11/29/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Adelaide

It should be possible regardless of class. It's not soloable if you have to bring someone else.

My question would be though - are all the bosses soloable to all classes? (Regarding the ones that drop pets in this case). If I brought a Mage into some of these raids would I have the same chance as a glass canon that I would in a spec more capable of surviving those kinds of encounters? Especially in Naxx where there is more damage going out.

If the answer is no then whether or no Viscidus is soloable is a mute point.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
11/29/2012 06:32 PMPosted by Adelaide

You're right. BUT on the flipside of that coin (or maybe it's the same side, I'm not sure), some fights will require people to think outside the box. For instance, let's look at Razorgore.

Now, people have said just use hots to pull aggro off RG to pull adds. But I don't have a hot. So I had to go through my spell book and pull out mocking banner which is a spell I hardly ever think about much less use.

So soloable does NOT equate 'smash stuff in the face till it falls over' and I think most would agree. Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to go outside your 'comfort zone' and consider different options.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior

My question would be though - are all the bosses soloable to all classes? (Regarding the ones that drop pets in this case). If I brought a Mage into some of these raids would I have the same chance as a glass canon that I would in a spec more capable of surviving those kinds of encounters? Especially in Naxx where there is more damage going out.

If the answer is no then whether or no Viscidus is soloable is a mute point.

If you, using a mage per your example, are kiting bosses, then yes. That's the point of casters: to do damage and stay out of arm's reach.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lets see, I tried the first boss in the spider room about 10 times, always got him down to 20% and then I get spammed silence and with the adds I can't heal myself much less bring him down below that mark.

It wasn't the case of not trying, I have no way to get rid of the silence and they always do it when I am at 50% health and a they health is low, even if my health is high they still spam silence when they get low HP. It would be different if I wasn't a caster and didn't care about silence.

If you are doing this in feral form its a pretty easy fight. Pull the boss to the door and then run thru him so you back is to the middle of the room. Charge at him whenever he does his spikes so you dont take falling damage. And then when he starts to cast Locust Swarm make a beeline for the door on the other side of the room.

You wont do any damage when u run, well I guess you could moonfire or something but you wont get silenced/slowed and you wont take damage. Once you get to the other side wait for him to come and run thru him and rinse repeat till dead.

At level 85 I believe it took 3 times to do this, can only imagine at level 90 its going to be quicker.

good luck
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior

You're right. BUT on the flipside of that coin (or maybe it's the same side, I'm not sure), some fights will require people to think outside the box. For instance, let's look at Razorgore.

Now, people have said just use hots to pull aggro off RG to pull adds. But I don't have a hot. So I had to go through my spell book and pull out mocking banner which is a spell I hardly ever think about much less use.

So soloable does NOT equate 'smash stuff in the face till it falls over' and I think most would agree. Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to go outside your 'comfort zone' and consider different options.

That is a very good point - a lot of soloing content really does force you to think outside of what you would normally do. On my Pally I like the more difficult ones because I do have to pay attention to what I'm doing, where I'm at and how I'm going to live through silences. Doesn't make it impossible but some encounters definitely do require more.

My point was - if an average player, after some practice, couldn't solo a raid boss on certain classes then whether or not a boss was soloable by all classes wasn't really an argument. I'm sure there are players out there that can solo a boss on any class but for the vast majority of WoW players they have a go to class when they want to solo. Yes a Mage can kite Viscidus while he follows her around and tries to eat her (yay mirror images) but can she do enough damage to shatter him in that small time frame once he's frozen?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
11/29/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Kaioon
He still insta-digests you in phase 2. Not soloable.

There's a borderline exploit (imo it is, as it wasn't intended) that allows you to do so, but yeah, even two man, with the 10s timer on swallows, if someone isn't upstairs , you get instagibbed.

11/29/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Cetsy
Solo? If you solo and not die inside stomach, then it is something they changed for 5.1, it doesn't behave that way before.

That's what I'm curious on because we tried it two man after Chor tried it solo. Once he got swallowed, he got pwnt by the acid. Instagib.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

I think a fair change would be to have it require a certain amount of damage instead of a certain amount of melee hits. Something like a mage just isn't going to punch fast enough to shatter him.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

When I went it was priest/protadin.

We could not kill him fast enough, and we could not keep the zombies off him.

Everything else was doable, except for KT. Not enough dps.

I'm also pretty sure we did this in Cata. Not sure though. Been a while.

If you, using a mage per your example, are kiting bosses, then yes. That's the point of casters: to do damage and stay out of arm's reach.

Most bosses cannot be kited due to hunter exploits in Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Just did a full clear of AQ40 except the three bugs. The fights are stupid easy now. Just burn down the twin that is your match. C'Thun only swallowed me once and i just killed the two tentacles and was shot back out. Sadly no pets.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
11/29/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Reshaari
Most bosses cannot be kited due to hunter exploits in Vanilla.

They're leashed, true. But looking at Twin Emps specifically, there is MORE than enough room to kite. Again, the trick is to do more than 30k dps on the relevant twin to prevent them outhealing your damage.

Granted, warriors have MS which helps, but I just stood on the platform and whaled away and within ...a minute or so, they were dead. And no pet. So I'll have to go explain to them what 'courtesy' means on Tuesday.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]