Does gear upgrade give you more ilvl?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just when the gear upgrade came out in 5.1 i upgraded my shield twice, bringing it from 489 to 497, and my item level didn't go up at all, i then got new gloves ilvl 496 and upgraded them twice to 504, and i think my ilvl went up just by one (I'm not exactly sure for this one because i wasn't exaclty paying attention).

If my items level goes up with upgrade (by 8!) shouldn't my overall ilvl go up?

Is there a different way that ilvl is measured when it comes to upgrading or does it not change at all when you upgrade?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also I must add, on my profile it says my equipped ilvl is 476, when in game it says its 477.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
It should but the change might not be that significant with only 1 or 2 upgrades. You have 15/16 slots that hold items with ilvl (depending on whether 1x 2h weapon or a weapon and an offhand) so with a +8 ilvl bonus you will need to upgrade 2 items to get the +1 to your average ilvl you mentioned.
Reply Quote
How do i upgrade gear? Im just back after 2 yrs away and totally lost on this new ilvl upgrading
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/02/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Memorry
How do i upgrade gear? Im just back after 2 yrs away and totally lost on this new ilvl upgrading

First you earn Valor points, then you should be able to go to Orgrimmar, and as you enter The Drag from the Valley of Strength on the right hand side will be purple flashy signs. Go into that building and there should be an Item Upgrade vendor. Drag your gear into his slot and pay the required currency.

I believe you can use JP/Honor/Conquest to upgrade gear too, but so far I have only used Valor.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=68979
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Apparently it's a bug and will be hot fixed. Upgrading your gear should raise your ilvl AFAIK.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Dont forget that your item level is an AVERAGE score.
It would be totally possible to change one piece out that is up to 7 or 8 Item levels higher and not have your overall item level change.
ie:
If you had 14 items at item level 450 and one at 442, your ilevel would be 449

If you still had 14 items at ilevel 450.. and you upgrade your 442 to 449, your ilevel would STILL be 449.

The higher your item score, the larger the change required to see a change.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]