The dreaded Zin'Rokh grind...*sigh*

90 Blood Elf Paladin
haha I got this back in Cata while I was farming for the bug mount....on my hunter. At the time I didn't even have a class at 85 that could equip 2h swords. I sent it to this toon before I transferred my hunter to another server, and a few days after transferring the bug mount procced. I probably just made one or more people mad with that story.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Dear Tol'vir Scarab: I hate you. Please come to me. IT'S BEEN YEARS, MAN. YEARS.

Love, Anyaka
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
All RNG... My significant other just leveled Archaeology on her main and Zin'Rokh was the second or third Rare+ she solved. She complained it was worthless because it wasn't an heirloom and it provides no benefit at 85 because there are better green text items.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Don't explicitly try to farm the sword...after every non-sword solve you will die a little inside.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
<-----------has all the nelf and fossil rares
still gets 50% nelf dig sites >.>
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm a fairly keen Archaeologist. I have all rares, on all races except for 3 of the Tol'Vir rares that I'm saving my Restored Artifacts for.

Zin'Rokh was my white whale. I spent most of the three months leading up to the launch of MoP hunting it.

All told it took me 1322 Troll Solves to find it, out of a total of 2642. I found it after finishing off a site while I was on the way to Stormwind to make my way to Pandaria mere minutes after it was unlocked. I remember starting to get experience again while I was digging up fragments in Northern Stranglethorn Vale. I was in the Mage tower in Stormwind, when I looked at my solve Log and saw it sitting there....

At present, I'm hunting for a Pristine Set of Manacles of Rebellion, to complete my Seeker of Knowledge title and last Archaeology achievement, before the introduction of new Mantid based Achieves in 5.2. 679 Pandaria solves, 25 non-Pristine Manacles, no luck yet.

This can be a soul crushing part of the game. I don't really think the rewards are worth the time I've devoted to it, but I can't resist the lure. Maybe I'm a little bit insane.....
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I'm a fairly keen Archaeologist. I have all rares, on all races except for 3 of the Tol'Vir rares that I'm saving my Restored Artifacts for.

Zin'Rokh was my white whale. I spent most of the three months leading up to the launch of MoP hunting it.

All told it took me 1322 Troll Solves to find it, out of a total of 2642. I found it after finishing off a site while I was on the way to Stormwind to make my way to Pandaria mere minutes after it was unlocked. I remember starting to get experience again while I was digging up fragments in Northern Stranglethorn Vale. I was in the Mage tower in Stormwind, when I looked at my solve Log and saw it sitting there....

At present, I'm hunting for a Pristine Set of Manacles of Rebellion, to complete my Seeker of Knowledge title and last Archaeology achievement, before the introduction of new Mantid based Achieves in 5.2. 679 Pandaria solves, 25 non-Pristine Manacles, no luck yet.

This can be a soul crushing part of the game. I don't really think the rewards are worth the time I've devoted to it, but I can't resist the lure. Maybe I'm a little bit insane.....

I was exactly in your position. 855 total solves before I got my last pristine, which was the twin stein set (36 non-pristine solves on that one before I got it). It really starts to get to you. Every time the common you need comes up, you think, "this will be the time," and every time it just gives you a common, you really do die a bit inside. Or start cursing. Or both.

I also have 3 Tol'vir rares, and used most of my restored artifacts on Tol'vir fragments (all told, about 700 boxes, I've kept 100 boxes for making sure I don't run out of the mantid site locators next patch). Couldn't get that fourth tol'vir rare. Very irritating. Maybe one day they'll add in a tol'vir site locator and / or something to guarantee a rare solve for a race (like turning in 100 boxes or something for it). You know, when someone who is NOT a sadist gets the chance to design any changes for archaeology. Until then, I'll probably just do archaeology for the achievements, which was still pretty damn awful for working on the pristines in Pandaria.

This profession seriously needs significant improvements. It's too dependent on frustrating RNG, to an extreme, abusive extent.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

I was exactly in your position. 855 total solves before I got my last pristine, which was the twin stein set (36 non-pristine solves on that one before I got it). It really starts to get to you. Every time the common you need comes up, you think, "this will be the time," and every time it just gives you a common, you really do die a bit inside. Or start cursing. Or both.

I also have 3 Tol'vir rares, and used most of my restored artifacts on Tol'vir fragments (all told, about 700 boxes, I've kept 100 boxes for making sure I don't run out of the mantid site locators next patch). Couldn't get that fourth tol'vir rare. Very irritating. Maybe one day they'll add in a tol'vir site locator and / or something to guarantee a rare solve for a race (like turning in 100 boxes or something for it). You know, when someone who is NOT a sadist gets the chance to design any changes for archaeology. Until then, I'll probably just do archaeology for the achievements, which was still pretty damn awful for working on the pristines in Pandaria.

This profession seriously needs significant improvements. It's too dependent on frustrating RNG, to an extreme, abusive extent.

As an update to my earlier post, I finally found my Pristine Set of Manacles of Rebellion, completing my achievement.
I then set about trading over 600 Restored Artifacts for Tol'Vir Fragments, in the seriously deluded hope that I'd manage to get one of the three rare Tol'Vir Artifacts I hadn't found yet. 114 solved Tol'Vir artifacts, not one Rare.

Abusive is right. I think I'll be taking a break from the game.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
It took me a couple of weeks to get the sword and that was digging a couple
of hours a day.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
leonidas how many total tol vir solves do you have im at 300 and i have 5 out of the 6 and ive had 29 canopic jars but not an alchemist so i m sure it doesnt appear for me
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've got something like 220 Tol'Vir solves, Wyky. Three out of the six rares.
I've also levelled an Alchemist and made him search for the Recipe, he got it after twelve Canopic Jars.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got lucky on my lock doing arch to lvl him( wanted him at max to farm the canopic jar for the alch mount) and got it before I had a character high enough to equip it. The vial of the sands took me another 5 months though.

Right now I'm trying to get all the pristine thingies and have spent the last 10 days trying to get the bloody game board...but I spent the excess turn in's on Tol'vir bits and today finally got the pet and the staff one after the other. My advice would be to farm Pandaria like crap and use the extra in exchange for Troll ones.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Im sorry theres no faster way for you to attain it, or means to boost your RNG in your favor. All I can tell you is to keep on digging. I would stick with Eastern Kingdom. Try to save your hearthstone somewhere. And just keep digging. I wish you the best <3
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
This item is all about transmog now. It took me 1.5 years of archeology, yes 1.5 years to get it. I leveled another 600 archeology, and that toon discovered EVERY troll rare bar Zinrok, I knew if I ever saw 150 it would be it, and it finally dropped. It was more exciting then any rare mount, but also because imo it's the second best looking 2h in the game.

Yes I got the 2h, but at the same time I am ~2years counting for the bug scepter... it's pain, I have every rare bar the turtle and 3 tolvir in Kalimador. The worst feeling was when I got the hand pet, and it's funny how people who are after that always seem to have the mount. 2 years and counting, I've reduce my digging frequency because after ~2 years you just succumb to if it's going to drop it will drop with 1 solve a day more than 100. You do lose hope a bit. At this point I don't think it will ever drop for me, but I'll continue to do a couple Tolvir solves a day, I mean another year is ~600+ solves to add on top of my count. I think the record is something like 1.2k solves, there was a massive thread about a guy on 800solves+ who finally got it.

The one downside to anything you farm for years--well for me--take ony, after 6-7 runs a week this expansion, 4 last, and singles WOTLK, when it DOES drop, sure you cheer but the enjoyment runs out because it was just too long. I WAS MORE EXCITED I NEVER HAD TO DO ONY AGAIN THAN GETTING THE MOUNT. Same will go for Archeology.
Edited by Secondtime on 3/10/2013 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
With the addition of the mantid, we all know it's possible to make a single race visible for digging, so when will we have items added for the older races? It isn't like we would actually use the items anymore, so a little less torture would be nice.

10 characters at 525 arch back when it was difficult to skill up, but it took me till 90 and turning in artifacts for troll fragments before I solved zin'rokh. I don't even use it for transmog either, it's on my warlock so the felguard can equip it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]