DW Frost and Mastery.

90 Orc Death Knight
Now before I start I'd like to point out that I know the utter mess my equipment sits in due to overall quality and reforges and mixing and matching with PvP gear.

BUT.

From what I understand Frost Strike > Oblit for Frost, and as such we are supposed to focus on mastery more.

However I'm finding that my Oblit regularly hits harder than my FS, now is there some kind of threshold of Mastery where things change? Am I imagining it?

EDIT:: For DW Frost I am speaking of.
Edited by Sevir on 12/2/2012 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
There is a threshold. Don't know when it is, but it is much farther than what you have. FS will do much more than oblit once you get the gear you need.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Now before I start I'd like to point out that I know the utter mess my equipment sits in due to overall quality and reforges and mixing and matching with PvP gear.

BUT.

From what I understand Frost Strike > Oblit for Frost, and as such we are supposed to focus on mastery more.

However I'm finding that my Oblit regularly hits harder than my FS, now is there some kind of threshold of Mastery where things change? Am I imagining it?

EDIT:: For DW Frost I am speaking of.

keep in mind obliterate has a much higher cost as well. it shouldn't be long before frost strike outdamages it though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
2h OBLIT > frost strike.... Haste> mastery
DW frost strike >OBlit.. Mastery> haste

For Dw str/Mastery Hybrids for yellow sockets,( orange )
Str for red sockets ,( red )
Mastery/hit for Blue sockets something like that,( Purple ) , Obviously till hit/exp capped

Obliterate is used in Dw rotation to get the Runes recharging nothing more nothing less

For pvp tho Mastery is better for both specs

Edit in the right gear 30 mastery is what your aiming for
Edited by Ordeál on 12/3/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
67 Human Warrior
you have 3.3k haste and 2.7k mastery

pvp gear looks pretty much toward 2h (where haste is well above crit, with mastery close behind that)

Perhaps you should look into going 2h atleast for a while?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
These guys are all wrong.
As frost you will have to much down time if you go mastery > haste..you want at least 5.5k haste before you start going mastery, until then Haste > Mastery.

I tried going mastery > haste and when I tried haste > mastery my dps was about 5-10k increased.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I was under the impression that DW inherently has less downtime based on its rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
So is it Mastery or Haste? I honestly am just more confused now than before.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
12/03/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Sevir
So is it Mastery or Haste? I honestly am just more confused now than before.

Sorry for the confusion Sevir

FOR PVP: which is what you are intending to do I believe:

Mastery is better since frost damage is not mitigated by armor, ie Frost strike/Obliterate and the Big Bad boi HB this is for Dw ,( a given ), and 2h.

Sorry haven't had a chance to PvP much this Xpac

FOR PVE: 2h frost is HASTE> Mastery Ie reforge into haste from your weaker stats crit > mastery Exp/hit if you are over cap and even Gem for it

FOR PVE: DW Frost is Mastery> Haste IE reforge into mastery from weaker stats Crit> Haste, Exp/Hit if over cap.... Aside from that str is your friend when geming for Dw aswell
So dont miss out on Geming those sexy 160 str gems into those red sockets

As i stated before 30% mastery is a good goal to set your self to get to
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I thought it was frost strike>oblit for killing machine procs
then oblit> frost strike so you have RP for when the proc goes off
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

That's what I heard too, but I've also heard that you should spam howling blast and only use oblit when you have unholy runes to spend..

Also thank you Ordeal. For the record though I plan to do PvP AND PvE. I just really hate running 5 mans so I'm cheating.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

That's what I heard too, but I've also heard that you should spam howling blast and only use oblit when you have unholy runes to spend..

Also thank you Ordeal. For the record though I plan to do PvP AND PvE. I just really hate running 5 mans so I'm cheating.

haha

Personally I just mash HB till I cant no more when in a random BG :P

DW is always Frost strike > obliterate only ever Obliterate if you have unholy runes to knock off

Hmm you are a miner Id suggest getting the B/S one handers over the green your using since your not fan of 5 mans but Storm stout drops the sword off first boss so not too much effort doing him them leaving :P
Ook's Hozen Slicer

The matts are easy enough to come by would just have to pay someone for the Spirits to craft :P Masterwork Phantasmal Hammer
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Basic concept, more or less, as 2h, you're using frost strikes to generate more runes to obliterate more.

As DW, you're using your obliterates to generate more runic power for frost strikes.

12/04/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Sevir

ya, for a full set of runes, it's 2 oblits and 2 howlings

for aoe, you completely dump the obliterates for howlings and just use your UH runes to dnd, or plague when both are up to generate runic.
Edited by Postonforums on 12/5/2012 1:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Howling Blast

Howling Blast!

HOWLING BLAST!!!

HOWLING BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Only use obliterate to get rid of unholy runes if you are using blood tap. Those pesky unholy runes >_> They bother me so.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I think when these threads come up there is a lot of conflicting opinions; and this is why. The OP may be asking for advice on a specific aspect of the game, in this instance, PVP, but people will come in, read the thread title "dw frost mastery or haste?" and read nothing else. At this point the regurgitate their PvE experiences with stat weights which frankly don't always apply to PvP.

I have absolutely no backing for my choices in stat priority in PvP except for my own experiences, so take it for what it is worth. I play 2H frost for PvP for the harder hitting Oblits, but I am currently stacking Mastery over Haste but not excessively. My theory is that I want to crush the opponent in as few GCDs as possible and by building up Mastery I am able to hit harder. Oblit hits hard, yes, but you don't always have the opportunity to use it with the current state of DK gap closing, so I find myself spamming HB on runners or crowds. The upside to mastery is that it isn't mitigated by armor. When I used to play DW, Mastery was definitely noticeable in PvP. My Frost Strikes and HB were hitting pretty hard.

I would recommend trying to balance haste and mastery and see if you notice a difference and then I would try going balls to the wall mastery and see if there is a difference.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]