Divine Star vs Halo (Shadow)

90 Worgen Priest
After the hotfix buff to divine star I thought it would be worth checking out but, after doing a little testing on training dummies it's quite clear halo is still the far better option for dps.

Halo -> 19.1% of damage Avg hit 73262 Avg crit 136095
DS -> 6.2% of damage Avg hit 16635 Avg crit 39126

My ilvl is currently 481.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It's supposed to be the better option at optimal range.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I tried Divine Star again with the 4 test dummies lined up so that I could hit all 4 and DS came out to 20.4% of damage. So I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
12/03/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Consite
It's supposed to be the better option at optimal range.

I see that you use DS. Do you switch it out with halo depending on the fight?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Divine Star will likely be better single target damage when you're forced to be too close to the boss for Halo, such as H Feng and Vizier. In addition to that, the healing was already ridiculous before they hotfixed it and I expect it's just brokenly OP at this point coming from a DPS spec.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I stick with Cascade, it's a smart damage spell (i.e. won't pull crap accidentally) and doesn't have the range and positioning requirements that Halo or Divide Star have. It's not a gimp in your damage if you have to waste effective GCDs to be in optimum range for using the other two when you prefer to be utilizing your max range on all your other abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It takes almost no intelligence to not pull things with Halo and even less with DS. I'm not sure why it's even a consideration except in situations where it's absolutely impossible to not pull.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'm kinda using Divine Star on our heroic Garalon progression in 25mans mainly for offhealing. That spell heals like a truck... I use it before or straight after a Crush. If used after a Crush that spell almost never overheals and can heal up to 1 million total.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I swap between Halo and DS, depending on the fight. Where there are going to be a lot of adds (Sha of Anger for example) I'll stick with Halo to hit as much as possible within its radius. In herioc instances, I've found DS better. If the tank isn't a complete fail and mobs not running everywhere, mobs will be gathered in a centralized area, making DS awsome. As far as Cascade, I tried it a little after hitting 90 on my priest and found it did pull mobs off to the side that hadn't been attacked yet. Now, this was roughly 3-ish weeks ago. I'm not sure if it has been fixed or adjusted to not pull mobs as I haven't used it since.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
12/03/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Nixxe
I expect it's just brokenly OP at this point coming from a DPS spec.

DS in Brawlers Guild is so !@#$ing op. The haters gonna hate!

*Edit* I'll contribute and say I use DS on Wind Lord, still hits hard as everything is grouped up, and you dont have to worry about breaking any CCs
Edited by Zethrax on 12/4/2012 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
12/04/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Amarylla
I swap between Halo and DS, depending on the fight. Where there are going to be a lot of adds (Sha of Anger for example) I'll stick with Halo to hit as much as possible within its radius. In herioc instances, I've found DS better. If the tank isn't a complete fail and mobs not running everywhere, mobs will be gathered in a centralized area, making DS awsome. As far as Cascade, I tried it a little after hitting 90 on my priest and found it did pull mobs off to the side that hadn't been attacked yet. Now, this was roughly 3-ish weeks ago. I'm not sure if it has been fixed or adjusted to not pull mobs as I haven't used it since.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't the adds shields block Halo from hitting them? And if it were cast from behind, wouldn't Halo's damage be severely penalized by the close proximity to the targets?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
12/04/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Moringa
Out of curiosity, wouldn't the adds shields block Halo from hitting them? And if it were cast from behind, wouldn't Halo's damage be severely penalized by the close proximity to the targets?

I think she means Sha of Anger
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
12/04/2012 06:53 AMPosted by Zethrax

I think she means Sha of Anger

You... are absolutely right. lol.

Sorry, I thought the post was referring to Sha of Fear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
12/04/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Moringa

Actually, you can hit the add(s) and the boss by a quite good amount of damage if you position yourself correctly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/03/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Taheraliel
I stick with Cascade, it's a smart damage spell (i.e. won't pull crap accidentally)

you're joking right? Its always pulling mobs on the other side of the room when you cast it on the mob 5feet in front of you
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Halo will always win in fights where you can stand at max range.

The grey area is where you're standing close to the boss, or there are multiple enemies that halo won't hit at max range.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]