Nerfs are coming at us strong.

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I play demo 95% of the time CW needed a nerf.

But other classes do as well. Dying in 4-6s flat is not fun for anyone.

Last time GC commented about PvP he said he was fine with the DMG dealt and the amount of CC in the game in general.

So I guess he isn't playing the same game then us.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
yes but when we did dragon soul and the rogues had god mode legendary daggers lol nothing we could do to stop them. not to mention checking parses religiously fire mages and rogues ruled all. ok guys casting hero burn all cd's!

ya umm which ones lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
well imp yes i will still play my class. specc wise i am still unsure with this expansion. Anathema has it lucky were he can play as he likes, but not all guilds are as understanding as him.

and to defend kage some guilds will bench the lock if they don't feel we help as much. How many guilds were doing dragon soul with 5 mages or 5 rogues and no warlocks?

Its a thing I look for when I join a guild. If I can't get along with the people because I think they are elitist pricks, I'll go join a different guild, even if they don't do Heroic HoF every week.

Also it isn't that Destro can't do the same numbers as Affliction on some fights, it's just

Assuming equal gear and equal skill level, Affliction will usually beat destruction on said fight.

Realistically, all three specs are fine, and Affliction suffers from worse RNG then the other psecs do (since Haunt costs Soul Shards, if they are unlucky with nightfall procs, their DPS suffers. They can use Drain Soul to get shards back, but doing so above 20% is a DPS loss as well).
Edited by Anathema on 12/3/2012 11:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
well technically i am unsure ana where you define fine as. just saying from a simcraft perspective aff doing say 101k and des doing 91 k. a 10 k difference seems pretty massive to me. When other classes i have seen have their dps speccs within 1k of each other, THAT is fine imo
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
12/03/2012 10:20 PMPosted by Kagecamia
Fire is still doing good even after it was "balanced" which it needed to be...

Fire is in a horrible position on single target fights and the nerfs to combustion pretty much make it useless on any multi-target fights as well.

To the OP's post the license plate on my car reads AFF4LFE (it really does) and we're doing well in PVE at least so I still enjoy that but the PVP meta game has shifted away from outthinking and outplaying your opponets to a game of big numbers, cooldown stacking, and is deisgned to cater to people who just want to "blow up" their target in a few keystrokes.

If you watch twenty random games you couldn't differentiate between glad players and 1800 players in any class. A game built around short bursts of big damage and tons of instant CC, healing, and damage isn't about skill as much as it's about RNG. They've reduced pvp to Mortal Kombat.

It's awful. And it isn't just locks that are feeling it. The whole pvp game is broken beyond belief. To locks specifically it is the first time in eleven seasons we aren't viable outside some very small niches which only phenomenal players playing with phenomenal teammates will be able to make work.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/03/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Kagecamia
I know this is at lv 85, but it is hitting for only about as much as HoG.

Its no different than touch of chaos doing less dmg than shadowbolt, its about the amount of time it takes for it to do that dmg. Besides doom meta is all about burst, if you need sustained aoe dmg you're better off using normal HoG since it does more total dmg BUT over 7s, Chaos wave does twice as much+ immediate dmg but does less sustained.

CW could crit upwards of 150k against a single geared player in pvp and still did shenanigans numbers in pve. For an instant cast AOE spell that can be cast twice in a row being able to hit everyone around your target for up to 150k back to back is ludicrous and unbalanced. While it'll make it a little harder to burst in pvp it won't break the spec like people are acting. The rest of the substantial tool kit you get in demo is still there.

The only fight I can think of off the top of my head is heroic feng that this overly effects in pve during shield phase, and even then it shouldn't be an issue unless you were super carrying your raid there.

12/03/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Avime
well technically i am unsure ana where you define fine as. just saying from a simcraft perspective aff doing say 101k and des doing 91 k. a 10 k difference seems pretty massive to me. When other classes i have seen have their dps speccs within 1k of each other, THAT is fine imo

Destro is a direct damage burst spec with 0 repercussion for fast target switching etc.

Aff is a sustained spec with (albeit less than previous xpacs) ramp that has difficulty with fast target switching or in fights where mobs die quickly.

Direct damage / burst specs are not supposed to sustain as high as sustain specs, thats how dps works. If a burst spec ALSO sustained as high as the sustain spec then it would become overpowered. This is something blizzard tends to forget.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/03/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Avime

The sim results are based on Patchwerk style fights. I mean fine in the contexts of say MSV Garajal or Elegon. Some specs do better in some fights then others, but the Simcraft numbers are usually based on
-T14 Heroics
Patchwerk style Fight.

I.E. No mechanics to worry about (unless your a tank), no adds or anything like that. It's just you DPSing a fat abomination.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Well the nerfs haven't built up yet. But if history repeats itself, we will/should see many more coming. As for Chaos Wave needing nerfed, I don't think it did. I see many other classes hitting just as hard or harder with some of their special moves as chaos wave.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Destro is a direct damage burst spec with 0 repercussion for fast target switching etc.

Aff is a sustained spec with (albeit less than previous xpacs) ramp that has difficulty with fast target switching or in fights where mobs die quickly.

Direct damage / burst specs are not supposed to sustain as high as sustain specs, thats how dps works. If a burst spec ALSO sustained as high as the sustain spec then it would become overpowered. This is something blizzard tends to forget.

yes i know and i am unsure of current raid fights but i know in ds single target seem to be a non issue, ultraxx for just one example
Reply Quote
81 Orc Warlock
1 year ago I had this account that had every single character at 85 besides a warrior, all were raid ready. The only character I played however was my troll warlock. But that account is long gone due to gf probs... don't ask, and I opened a new account a couple days ago. I'm happily leveling up a lock again because to me that is my class and it's an awesome class. Nerfs or not i'm playing the lock because that feeling you get knowing you out dps'd all the op classes on a raid and having been nerfed like that is just awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It needed a nerf. But 33% was too strong. They always dismantle the warlock class. Every expansion. Without fail.
Reply Quote
Im fine with it as long as mages, warriors, and hunters get nerfed

But that will never happen so i'm pretty upset

Did you even read the 5.1 patch notes?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
The only time Im not in demo is for CTF RBGs in which case I build embers for nuking flag carriers. Other then that 95% is demo and will continue to be.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
I've had this lock since vanilla screw you hippies
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
So....Destruction didn't get nerfed, really. Might have been a slight nerf but I'm still coming up in top 5 damage in raid finders. Bunch of scrubs?

Plus, the increase in burning ember generation is noticeable.

No complaints.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Double post.
Edited by Ravloc on 12/5/2012 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Most of the PvP issues are not class and spec specific its scaling issues, an over abundance of CC and a massive delta in ilvl ranges.

If they increased the resil multiplier some they would cut 1/4 of the complaints.

CC's should be ether grouped together and diminishing returns tied to being CCed vs different types of CC. Or give each type of CC an immunity for a X seconds or variable of the time CCed. That would cut another 1/4 of the complaining.

Making the gear less of a factor would cut an other 1/4 of the complaints.

The other 1/4 would be class specifics and a portion of the people who are never happy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]