Warrior vs Paladin (New class choice.)

50 Human Warlock
I think it would be worth noting that I stopped playing towards the end of cata and just now started playing again since the release of MoP. I just started buying some tanking heirlooms for my next class. However, I am absolutely torn between the two classes. I havnt read many good things about the end-game for warriors, while paladin seems to be doing better. I still have a while to decide, but I'd like to know what the forums think.

Questions:
----------------
What is the demand for each tank in raids?
What are the expectations for the future of these classes?
Do the defensive/offensive capabilities of warrior make up for the lack of heals?
Which class is "more fun" to tank with?
What is pvp like for the off specs of each class?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
No idea about the first 2

3- Yes, Paladin's active mitigation for magic is Word of Glory. A Warrior's is Shield Barrier, which is an absorb that gets to huge amounts with vengeance ( In 5mans I've gotten 180k, and you gain 60 rage about every 4-7secs). It's easily better to absorb damage than to patch yourself up after you take it. At the last 20%, with high vengeance you'll hit executes for 600k (Capped at your health). Compared to Hammer of Wrath... Yeah

4- TOTALLY unbiased here, Warrior. To me Paladins are just "Throw up Righteousness and Insight -> Apply face to keyboard".

5- Look at all the posts of 'OMG NERF SECOND WIND' and 'OMG WARRIORS ARE GLOBALING ME'. While those guys are exaggerating idiots, warrior pvp is really strong right now. Its the only class I've played where you feel awesome even when you're losing.
Edited by Sheydrina on 12/4/2012 5:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
50 Human Warlock
Thank you very much. I'm leaning a little more towards warrior, I'm just afraid to raise it up and not be able to raid end-game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You'll be able to raid as any tank, its not like Dragon Soul where (At least pre-nerf) almost everybody wanted at least 1 DK. It's pretty balanced now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Every tank is able to raid end-game. As much as people whinge about balance, Blizzard's very good at keeping every tank viable.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I leveled this guy 86-90 as prot and have been tanking Heroics no problem, though haven't tanked LFR yet. Just out of the same curiousity as yourself, I've started bringing my 85 Paladin up as prot sepc and I find it so much easier...

As above poster said, seems more like a keyboard face roll haha.. Don't know why but I found I had alot more threat issues with the Warrior, though that might of been the group make ups. My first ever Heroic stormstout I had to compete with 102K DPS DK... he just kept telling me to learn to taunt.

I think it's the individuals preffered playstyle..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
102k DPS O.o?

The only time I get that high is when I do an extreme chain pull (Specifically the undead part of Scarlet, the professor slate room, and the abomination room.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
That's what Recount said when we finished... I did have a guildy healing but I just couldn't get aggro off him. I think my guildy said he was in full raid gear, I didnt bother to inspect.

But yeah this guy might be going DPS from here on in, I've only done a few normal dungeons at level 86 but my Paladin hasn't lost aggro once, cept for the odd warlock pet who's not on passive.

I'm prob just Nub at Warrior tanking lol.

Meh
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Warrior is all melee, all the time. That means for some fights it can be harder to control the mobs, as they may be separated. Plus side is you have more mobility to deal with that scenario. Paladin can stand in one spot and pull several groups in tandem and get threat on all using various tools. So they have excellent ranged threat.

The active mitigation on both is equally effective. Warrior shield can get huge, that is true. But it is also on a timer. Paladin can pool three holy power and use it the second after hey take damage, so they do not have to anticipate damage, but rather react. Both are valid. Neither is better. Just depends on what you prefer, and what the encounter is.

For five mans I would say pally is better simply because they can do ranged threat, which can prevent a wipe if you have casters all over the place for some reason (e.g. several groups add through no fault of your own). And they can also help heal the group.

That said, Warrior is sometimes more fun. (Much more active playstyle.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Warriors are fun once you get over the daunting arsenal they have at their disposal, especially now that their abilities aren't stance restricted. However, their raid utility is low in most situations, whereas paladin raid utility is, bar none, the highest of any tank due to their ability to actively heal the raid instead of just themselves, use part of their active mitigation to protect others, and their Hand spells' unrivaled usefulness. As such, Paladins are exceptionally hard to master, at least compared to what people usually perceive, while Warriors are harder to get a grasp on, but easier to master from there.

Warriors don't require you to use vuhdo (or an equivalent) to use their arsenal to its fullest (save maybe Intervene, though I could never get it to work with mouseover macros, let alone Vuhdo) without losing your god damn mind, so that's a plus for them >.>
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
Demo Banner and Rallying cry are not low raid utility.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/04/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Thrud

You're forgetting Shattering Throw. Even still, its not as significant as cheesing mechanics with BoP/DS/Sac/Salv/Saving a tank with LoH. Warriors will help more with DPS checks, definitely, but Paladins will excel in damage prevention/damage recovery for the entire raid.

Rallying Cry is more or less equivalent to Devo Aura. Slightly better, but still not amazing in comparison or anything.
Edited by Darpalta on 12/4/2012 11:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
That's what Recount said when we finished... I did have a guildy healing but I just couldn't get aggro off him. I think my guildy said he was in full raid gear, I didnt bother to inspect.

But yeah this guy might be going DPS from here on in, I've only done a few normal dungeons at level 86 but my Paladin hasn't lost aggro once, cept for the odd warlock pet who's not on passive.

I'm prob just Nub at Warrior tanking lol.

Meh

See if you where a paladin you could have, BoPed him, or Salved him.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/04/2012 11:51 PMPosted by Darpalta

You're forgetting Shattering Throw. Even still, its not as significant as cheesing mechanics with BoP/DS/Sac/Salv/Saving a tank with LoH. Warriors will help more with DPS checks, definitely, but Paladins will excel in damage prevention/damage recovery for the entire raid.

Rallying Cry is more or less equivalent to Devo Aura. Slightly better, but still not amazing in comparison or anything.

I donno Rallying Cry is probably better to be honest... because rallying cry increases raid wide stamina by x%, but Devo only protects against magic damage. Meaning that Rallying cry can be used on any type of damage vs Devo only usable on Magic.

Warrior AOE Threat is higher then Paladins too even though i believe paladins have more aoe abilities (Cons, Holy Wrath etc) Mind you i believe my warrior tank(also GM) gets every MD in the guild on him on trash.. which is fine i just go afk and watch tv.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You guys are forgetting about Safeguard/Vigilance
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Warriors have ways to "cover" their allies like "BoP" and "Salv" as well. They have Safeguard, they also have Intervene and Taunt. The mobility to get back and forth is also pretty helpful.

You can't really say which is "more fun" for anyone but yourself, but you can say that Warriors likely require a bit more micromanagement to successfully tank well as Paladins are a very self-sustaining class in most aspects.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
They have Safeguard, they also have Intervene and Taunt.

I... wha... you just claimed Warriors have Taunt... As a way to 'cover' the raid... you think the other tanks don't have an equivalent..? This just boggles the mind.

I still stand behind my point of Paladins being the only tanks (to my knowledge) who can apply their active mitigation to others instead of themselves (WoG). Though, I want to say Monks have something similar with Guard, but I don't know for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Eh, if you look at it in a vacuum, warriors and paladins are pretty much the same as far as value is concerned.

Paladins bring better buffs to a raid, period. Stats is better than commanding shout. Mastery is better than battle shout. You can't get around that fact.

If your raid already has those covered, it comes down to LoH/HoP/Devo vs banners as each class has pretty much the same value of abilities otherwise.
Edited by Theodorr on 12/5/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
12/05/2012 06:49 AMPosted by Darpalta
I still stand behind my point of Paladins being the only tanks (to my knowledge) who can apply their active mitigation to others instead of themselves (WoG).

Well if you want to define it like that, then sure. But warriors have plenty of ways to help the survivability of their raid group, just not our 'active mitigation'.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't say which one is better because of gear differences, but of blood, warrior and pally, I find pally to be the most fun by far. I love that utility and it just seems fluid. IM SHINY! man, it's just fun :)

Wish I was prot now:(..qq
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]