LFR- Loot system - The good, The bad, The fix

90 Orc Hunter
First off, I definitely approve of the new LFR loot system. Taking all the drama out of LFR loots was probably one of the best ideas Blizzard had in ages. It's a good system and seems to be working well for many players. On the other hand, there is always room for improvement.

Major Problem:
Some people can't seem to get any gear, some get all the gear in the world. The underlying problem is: you have the same low chance to get gear every week you run. Sometimes you get gear you don't even need and it gets vendored.

Back during Deathwing LFR raids before the loot change, getting geared seemed to be easier. The reason is because (considering you were with a few nice players and not complete jerks) people who had better or equivilent gear could pass or trade to someone who needs it.
Yes this also created drama but as everyone became really geared, it WAS easier for a new person to get gear.

My solution:

Create an option to pass.
Players that do not need gear from that boss should be able to automatically pass on the loot. When a player passes, the rest of the raid's chances (those who need gear) goes up on the actual roll.
Of course there will need to be an insentive to pass. So give those players who pass more gold (it has to be more than vendor value of the gear for sure) or give them a coin to increase their role chances for on a boss they actually need loot on.

I have read a few suggestions for LFR but I think this one would make almost everyone happy. The result: You stop getting gear you absolutely do not want/need and someone else has a better chance of getting it. You have a better chance of getting the gear you need by other players passing their role if they do not need the gear.

This brings back the idea that when people begin to get geared, other people get gear as well.

Please offer feedback and don't be a troll :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Here are some problems with your suggestion:

1. It is still a "black box." Players wouldn't know if others passed, and there would still be plenty that "never get loot in LFR." And then they'd go to the forums and make one of a thousand threads about how LFR loot is broken. As I write this, there are seven topics on page one that are about LFR loot.

2. If you could see who passed on loot and who didn't, it would add drama back into the loot system as people complain that a well-geared player should have passed but didn't. If you could not see who passed on loot, it keeps the system a "black box" as described in #1.

3. Guilds could exploit the system to funnel gear to specific raiders. Run an LFR with one main character and 24 alts (yes, some top guilds did this in Dragon Soul), and have all the alts pass on loot to maximize loot chances for the main toon.

4. If your loot % is dependent on others passing or not passing, then LFR is back to the situation where everyone is waiting for all the people to roll. One person leaving the raid without rolling will hold everyone's loot hostage until the roll timer expires.
Edited by Grumchuck on 12/4/2012 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Doesn't need fixing. And this would be the worst fix ever even if it did.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I think that's a great idea.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
ANYTHING -ANYTHING- would be better than the current state, i know people who don't even do LFR because they're so discouraged by the loot, or lack there of.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/04/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Buhbull
ANYTHING -ANYTHING- would be better than the current state, i know people who don't even do LFR because they're so discouraged by the loot, or lack there of.

People like you who've gotten at least 8 pieces from the loot system but they haven't yet gotten that one piece that they really really want?

So discouraged plz fix.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
1) It will still be anonymous if a player passes, it's still personal loot system and will be exactly how blizzard wants it - no drama.

2) Who cares if guilds try and gear their buddies? It will increase the chance of a piece won by everyone in the raid. Not just the guildies. I'd love to be in a raid with a geared guild trying to gear someone so my chances are better.

3) Your loot % would remain the same and could only go up if players passed on looting the boss.

It's just a suggestion to help people get gear without the same people getting the same gear that they do not need.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
It's not a problem, the people who are getting gear just cry on forums about it, and we point out 3+ lfr items they received in their post.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/04/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Postonforums
It's not a problem, the people who are getting gear just cry on forums about it, and we point out 3+ lfr items they received in their post.

Don't be a troll. Only a troll would make it personal. Discuss the suggestion. You don't like it. Say why not without being a troll.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
12/04/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Quiritus
Don't be a troll. Only a troll would make it personal. Discuss the suggestion. You don't like it. Say why not without being a troll.

I am a dwarf good sir, and I'm not making anything personal.
Reply Quote
The one thing that should be done is a streak breaker at 12 or so failure to get loot, it should force a loot win.

its mildly exploitable but you would have to get 11 failures to even think of exploiting it.
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
12/04/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Quiritus

That wasn't a troll. Jeez look up the term people.

And as for the topic, it would be a good idea BUT once people get the gear they want from said LFR, he/she will not bother to queue again for that content. And since picking up LFR gear is going to be easier, lesser players would queue for LFR hence longer queue times for others and players who don't raid or pvp will find lesser reasons to log in.

You'll also have more players up and leaving after specific bosses just like how LFD is now. How many heroic dungeons have you completed without at least 1 member leaving after a certain boss?

Last but not least.... *drum roll* LFR wasn't intended to gear people from heroic dungeon blues to full erhmergerd epixx.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
The one thing that should be done is a streak breaker at 12 or so failure to get loot, it should force a loot win.

its mildly exploitable but you would have to get 11 failures to even think of exploiting it.

Time Tables to quit the game, good idea
Reply Quote

Time Tables to quit the game, good idea

The average over the game is still 1 loot in 8, this will keep that 1 in 10000 player from quitting because they never get a drop.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/04/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Sarosha

It's called VP.
Reply Quote

It's called VP.

VP is much better spent on upgrades rather than gear.

I mean this really isnt a major major issue.

But with odds the way they are, someone has probably won nothing from every LFR they have been in.
Edited by Sarosha on 12/4/2012 8:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/04/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Sarosha

It's called VP.

Depends; if you're just doing LFR (because it's an alt, or because you're not a serious raider or whatever), then I don't think VP on upgrades is generally worthwhile. And those are the people who seem to complain about not getting loot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/04/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Sarosha

It's called VP.

But with odds the way they are, someone has probably won nothing from every LFR they have been in.

To someone only doing LFR, Valor gear is still going to be better than LFR drops. So no, it's not better spent on upgrades.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
upgrading a 440 to a 489 will be better than upgrading a 489 to a 493

I hate the people who always wait on gear, are perpetually undergeared and whining as a result of "saving" stuff
Edited by Postonforums on 12/4/2012 9:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

To someone only doing LFR, Valor gear is still going to be better than LFR drops. So no, it's not better spent on upgrades.

It depends, if all your doing is LFR your probably right, if your trying to raid though trying to catch up with people getting Sha and LFR drops to get into pugs ... its not going to be good.

An understanding guild might gear you up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]