[5.1] Ret PVP - So what's the verdict?

90 Human Paladin
I'm getting slapped around hard in pvp :( with NO defensive CDs besides bubble. Which is terrible ( Locks have a better bubble mechanic ) and dps that pales in comparison to other classes, ret is really a bit of a joke atm.

I cant get into any RBGs unless im holy and Im finding it really hard to survive in pvp. I get targeted consistently because everyone knows ret is cannon fodder atm.

With the likes of templars noodle as a finisher, and Vanguards: one of the better ret pallies in wow switching toons because of the sad state rets in, I don't see ret going places anytime soon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm getting slapped around hard in pvp :( with NO defensive CDs besides bubble. Which is terrible ( Locks have a better bubble mechanic ) and dps that pales in comparison to other classes, ret is really a bit of a joke atm.

I cant get into any RBGs unless im holy and Im finding it really hard to survive in pvp. I get targeted consistently because everyone knows ret is cannon fodder atm.

With the likes of templars noodle as a finisher, and Vanguards: one of the better ret pallies in wow switching toons because of the sad state rets in, I don't see ret going places anytime soon.

Need full dreadful. Your missing a lot of gems due to not having sockets. 45% res won't cut it along with 23% pvp power.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a guild to run RBGs with. Paladins have bad rep, but we're not totally garbage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Need full dreadful. Your missing a lot of gems due to not having sockets. 45% res won't cut it along with 23% pvp power.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a guild to run RBGs with. Paladins have bad rep, but we're not totally garbage.

logged out in my pve set up.

Pvp I have 51% pvp power and over 60% resil mostly malevolent gear and fully upgraded dreadful.

so yeah, still getting slapped around im sad to say :(
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 09:09 PMPosted by Alduin
I think it's fine. I'm really enjoying ret atm. Even with the healing nerf we're still extremely strong.

Your a moron plain and simple, your being carried by far superor players, so just !@#$ idiot. Your only 2k rated {edit} a 1900 rated player, you've tanked like a bad, anyway, nothing to see here. If you were 2600+ rated, people would take you more seriously
Says the guy hiding behind a level 10 alt.

Well, Baldwyn of Frostmourne, with your 1750 arena rating from over 18 months ago and no current organised PvP experience showing, if a 1900 rated player lacks the experience to have an opinion, where does that leave you?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins in general will always be out-matched by caster dps (mages, locks). However, the people who complain about OP wars or DKs, i usually just kite them and wear them down.

Before you critize me and my gear, I logged off last night in the middle of transitioning from ret to holy.

I think the easiest way to defeat the melee classes is to get in their "deadzones". I can kite warriors all day long given enough room, same with DKs. I can continue to heal myself while the warrior continues to lose rage. Even if i slip up, i can still use HoP as a backup.
Edited by Hðlymoly on 12/6/2012 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I have to agree with Deimos, but we are a complete joke in PvP. Blizzard redid the talent trees and I had hope for it thinking that this would be great and we'd be on equal footing with other classes, but its the same thing again with every expansion, and every patch we get the short end of the stick and retribution paladin is complete crap. Secondary utility healers? Are you kidding me, retribution is a dps spec. Warriors do more healing than us and they don't have to do anything, not only that, they can tank more damage than we can. We need a total revamp, and it gets bothersome wanting to play this game when things aren't fair. And no, I don't mean give us something that makes us unstoppable, but make it fair. Give us more CC's, I mean why not take the repentance ability out of the tree and give something different, I mean you don't have shamans and mages put a talent point into hex or sheep. Can have it different for the different specs as well. Retribution use to have that ability and it was instance cast, holy & protection could never get that skill, should be given back to retribution paladins, we can't get holy shock so i don't see why that can't be given back to retribution. Take the talent point out for lowering the cooldown for our stun ability to 30 seconds and just give us a flat 30 seconds, I mean other classes have 30 seconds on snares or stuns. It's quite tiresome paying for a game that shows a lot of favoritism towards certain classes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, for those who believe we were considered DECENT at the moment are in for a rough surprise.

Blizzard released a hot fix update dealing with warriors and mages, the best part about it though is a further 15% healing reduction on all healing.

/sadface
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I have to agree with Deimos, but we are a complete joke in PvP. Blizzard redid the talent trees and I had hope for it thinking that this would be great and we'd be on equal footing with other classes, but its the same thing again with every expansion, and every patch we get the short end of the stick and retribution paladin is complete crap. Secondary utility healers? Are you kidding me, retribution is a dps spec. Warriors do more healing than us and they don't have to do anything, not only that, they can tank more damage than we can. We need a total revamp, and it gets bothersome wanting to play this game when things aren't fair. And no, I don't mean give us something that makes us unstoppable, but make it fair. Give us more CC's, I mean why not take the repentance ability out of the tree and give something different, I mean you don't have shamans and mages put a talent point into hex or sheep. Can have it different for the different specs as well. Retribution use to have that ability and it was instance cast, holy & protection could never get that skill, should be given back to retribution paladins, we can't get holy shock so i don't see why that can't be given back to retribution. Take the talent point out for lowering the cooldown for our stun ability to 30 seconds and just give us a flat 30 seconds, I mean other classes have 30 seconds on snares or stuns. It's quite tiresome paying for a game that shows a lot of favoritism towards certain classes.
Funny that in Ghostcrawlers latest chat he takes a question from someone saying Pally's ability to Repent, Blinding Light then Hammer is OP. We have nothing and they want to take that away from us also
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Agincourt
Funny that in Ghostcrawlers latest chat he takes a question from someone saying Pally's ability to Repent, Blinding Light then Hammer is OP. We have nothing and they want to take that away from us also

It was an example Agin, a lot of classes have CC that dont share diminishing returns with each other.
Reply Quote

Umm wha? Who? Regardless, nice 1200 rating, wrong person though baddie
No, I got the right person. Y'see, there's this nice little addon that shows the other characters from your account that you've posted on. So you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.
Edited by Sharrow on 12/12/2012 1:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm still a newbie, but I found taking burden of guilt to be a pretty big quality of life improvement. Can kite melee around, and catch mages and hunters pretty well. Repent/fist just gets dispelled/trinketed anyway. Anything that fears beats me tho, including warriors if I go for a kill.

I'm more and more becoming 'harass', and less dps/burst. Seems to help my teammates out more than getting cc chained to death.

edit: I'm starting to pvp as prot...much better. Full time harass :)

edit: ok nvm. Is much more fun to pvp as prot.
Edited by Slalin on 12/13/2012 3:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I feel like we are not viable atm. I have ran with people who have been shocked at how hard the nerfs have been. I ran with a BM Hunt and it was ridiculous. I got bursted every time and would have to bubble the opener even though I have 65% resil. When I wasn't getting focused and the hunter was the main target they kept me chain cc'ed untill I had to bubble so I could heal him, then they went back on me and killed me. And even when they didn't cc me all my defensives that I could put on other players they burned right through. I'm sorry guys, I'm leveling a lock right now. I am still hoping that they change rets because I love ret, Its my favorite spec of all time. Thanks guys!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgfalyczyWk
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins 5.1 are avergane, good damage good survivabilty good offhealing. We are not OP we are not the best. If we were we would be recieving nerfs just like warriors warlocks mages feral druids.

Healing if fine, use selfless healer, make sure you switch to seal of INSIGHT before you heal. instant FoL can crit for 100k that way.

5.2 will be amazing! cannot wait to test PTR out. ugh wish it was here, gonna be testing Ret Paladins as well as a WW Monk, MM Hunter and last but least Shamans(both dps specs)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Removing our heal scaling from PvP power is a blatant mistake. When I first heard about their plan to make PvP power affects either healing or damage, I thought that would never make it to the live realms... it was painfully obvious to me that wasn't a good idea... apparently they didn't think the same.

As it was mentionned multiple times before by other people, it was only a few hybrids that were at fault; nothing that warranted such a blanket nerf to all hybrid specs.

While I can't talk for other specs, anyone that have spent at least a bit of time pvping as ret at lvl 90 knows that we need that healing. It's not a small perk, it's the very core of the spec. We get heavily CCed and pushed around all the time with basically only a 1 min CD stun in our arsenal to try to turn the tide.

We start a lot of fights after taking a fair amount of damage because we spent the first 10-20 sec of them CCed and when we finally get to do something, we have to try to heal as much as we can while trying to close the distance with our ranged opponents and stay out of melee range from the melee ones. Trying to salvage whatever we can before getting CCed again.

For the better and the worst, our style is to survive the onslaught of damage and CC while dealing low damage until we manage to turn the fight around when they finally run out of CCs (or they can't spam them as often after the inital burst).

I feel that nerf just put us behind the curve : there's a lot more people now that can easily outdmg our heals even if we're clever with our positioning / use of CDs. Since we can't go toe to toe with other melees and ranges tend to tear us apart before we get to do anything meaningful if our healing can't keep up, I'm not sure what we can do except dying in the current state of the game.

This. Ty blizz
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Although I agree that our class is broken, and wish we would all get buffed, I don't think that we can assess how unbalanced things are based on losing or winning in a 1v1 battle. If I cant beat a warrior, or a DK, or even a monk in a duel I shouldn't care. I signed up for a support class. Running around in 3's or in RBG's is where I would shine, and where I can 'support' by using the abilities at my disposal and bursting when required.
If I am getting tunneled in the middle of a WSG, my teammates should make the kills and keep me alive, while I just help contribute to the win. I do wish I was more powerful and could contribute in a more direct way however.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]