How Do You Counter a Shadow Priest

20 Gnome Mage
I've always enjoyed playing mages the most, ever since I started this game back in BC. Throughout the years, though, I noticed that Shadow Priests, who know how to play their class well, have been that one class I was consistently bad against. For a time, there were others but they change as WoW changes but Shadow Priests have always been a bit of a problem for me.

It's either.... they DoT me to death or it takes so long to try and kill them that I feel like I waste my time, so I just move on or they drain my mana and I end up dying. It's not so bad lately when there are other players trying to kill that one Shadow Priest (in a bg situation) because of frost bomb, but other than that...

What are some techniques to kill off a Shadow Priest one on one?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vox
I ran into this Shadow Priest yesterday in a random BG. He was the best player ive come across. Anyway, I tried to set him up with counterspells, polys, ring of Frost, multiple Pyros and DEEP's but he would just Phantasm out of it. And his DoTs were extremely strong along with his Fear spamming pet, there is really nothing I could do.
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage
Before MoP, when I was a bit more active, I could beat a Shadow Priest with my not so well geared DK with all the silence crap he's got but mages... I don't know... it's going to be even harder to try and beat it with the spellsteal nerf.

If somebody has good moves, let me know, I'll check on this later. I play mostly BGs these days and noticed some other classes also have probs with SPs.
Edited by Oopsiedaisy on 11/27/2012 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I hate their curses. Lol

I'm a fan of having a Ret. Pally sidekick to help kill a Shadow Priest.
No, it isn't easy to kill them but once they get hit with strength over and over, you can use a few combos to kill them. Brainfreeze is really a good friend to you on a BG, especially when you encounter a SP and I save my orb for when they creep up on me instead of immediately. That's all I can really say, I think?
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage
Okay, so I had another experience with an SP in Alterac Valley. My mage was 84 and she was 83. There were 3 of us in Iceblood Tower and she ended up obliterating us - it didn't help that she seemed to have endless fear on us. God help us.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Oopsiedaisy
Okay, so I had another experience with an SP in Alterac Valley. My mage was 84 and she was 83. There were 3 of us in Iceblood Tower and she ended up obliterating us - it didn't help that she seemed to have endless fear on us. God help us.

Are you using Will of Forsaken? Save your ice block when they shadow upon you then come out with freeze and orb. Wait, you're Arcane, sorry. Why not switch to frost and try playing it for a few days to see if it works better for you on a BG. Like I said, I mostly have a Pally with me or someone who can heal us and herbalism can give you an extra boost with healing properties, so can cauterize. If you don't have cauterize, swap out for it, very important survival on a BG.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I try not to deal with SP's very often. The best stratagy is to get the drop on them when they have no sheild up and nuke em. But other than that, Take the dots in the face, IB when they are using MB, stay out of range of their fear, and pray to god you can nuke them before they get a stupid heal off
Edited by Ratedarr on 11/28/2012 4:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
A good spriest has always been hard to beat. In recent expacs, they have been almost invincible when played and geared well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You should be able to beat a spriest easier than ever now that we can't spectral guise cc's. It really shouldnt have been a problem in the past though lol Just stop our mindblast, force our trinket/dispersion gg It might be because it says you're level 20 lol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
At level 20 their pretty much impossible to beat solo. Even with more spells at 37 i get owned by a spriest. At level 90 their beatable. Just run from spriest at your level lol
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I would try to poly and spellsteal what you can early. Also their pet may be worth killing now that it's health took a big nerf. Honestly I don't know though.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Before MoP, when I was a bit more active, I could beat a Shadow Priest with my not so well geared DK with all the silence crap he's got but mages... I don't know... it's going to be even harder to try and beat it with the spellsteal nerf.

If somebody has good moves, let me know, I'll check on this later. I play mostly BGs these days and noticed some other classes also have probs with SPs.

Before 5.0, spriests were garbage 1v1...I had the hardest time against ANY melee class. Since 5.0, we got so many new tools with the new talent tree. (Psyfiend, Spectral Guise, etc.)

Keep in mind that spriests also got some nerfs in 5.1 so it won't necessarily be harder to beat. Spectral Guise can no longer be used while stunned. Our offheals are weaker now. Psyfiend has less hp and the cast time on its fear is longer.
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage
Most of the time when I roll another character, it will be a mage. I have several mages - fire, ice, arcane. During cataclysm, I was playing my fire mage in BGs and arena (at max level) and that's when I encountered equally geared shadow priests that I couldnt' deal with that well. I could manage other well geared classes but had probs with SPs.

Now, I'm using the ice mage - although, it's not so bad now, an equally geared SP is still hard to beat. By not so bad now, this just means that it doesn't take forever to kill a shadow priest when there's 3 or 5 of us trying to kill it. I'm sure you've been in that situation before if you BG a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
The thing with shadow priests is that they have incredible dmg bursts which occur frequently, and also a number of ways to avoid your burst. They can fade to make your cast fail, silence you and then spectral guise. On the side, they can fear you if they get close or the shadowfiend will fear you. However, we also have a way of spreading our abilities out so we counter all of these. I dont always win, but heres my tactic
Start out with distance or with invis, you want to poly the priest and hit her first. If you are about to pom and she manages to get pain on you or a single spell it isn't a big deal, but you MUST control her here. I do not suggest silence, use a pom sheep, clones, or BLINK AWAY (this is why you must maintain distance)
Start out with heavy damage (i see you are arcane) but use frostjaw/rof, then follow up with AB, deep freeze if you can. The reason for blowing your stun and pom early is so that she blows her trinket, spectral guise or her fade. Be ready to respond immediately, you dont want her to touch you yet. If she fades or uses guise, INVIS NOW. Then be ready to sheep and start dealing damage.
When she comes back, or you start attacking, keep on your toes and keep the dps heavy. If by now you still have not been hit with any dots or dmg, then use alter time and start free casting a bit. If she dots you up, it will go away when you return and buy you some time, or just alter time when you see she's about to hit you and you can't avoid it for whatever reason. Use distance to avoid her casting, such as blinking away. A simple blink can help you avoid her while your waiting for you defensive spells and your DF/ROF to cool down. You want to kite. I personally find that the trinket is of no use against a priest, so i actually use mine to escape the silence and get off a counterspell. Its more useful than avoiding a fear and being hit with dots and mindblast.
Use the big guns as soon as she's been counterspelled, and above all - REMEMBER TO KEEP MAX DISTANCE. If you dont know what to do, blink away. The shadowfiend needs to be really close to work on you, and if you maintain distance she is not able to use psychic scream or the shadowfiend, which gives you the advantage. You're a mage, distance is your friend.. even against a caster.
Good luck
Edited by Midnitewolf on 11/29/2012 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
^^^^ these are all really good tips. A couple more I have learned -

The premise to beat a spriest is still the same. You HAVE to be aggresive, you cant play defensive. By that I means the longer the battle goes the worse off you are.

When he/she dispersions - clean off his/her buff with spellsteal. This way next time they try to shield themselves or renew, you can rip it off of them.

Cs her Mind blast is generally a rule of thumb.

Ice block early but also save it for a fear or the disarm fear they have. The reason I say this is because the Iceblock then has to purpose - gets rid of dots and gets rid of fear. I usually trinket the silence as well.

Alter time is a great thing to use right after comin out of an iceblock or before the priest gets dots up on you.

When you do get through the major cds - (dispersion, trinket, fears) - you must have a cs ready when you burst the priest down. Otherwise the priest will heal back up again before you can beat her.
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage
Thanks they're good tips.

REMEMBER TO KEEP MAX DISTANCE.

Too right. I will also remember this with fire mages. It's been awhile since I've played with my fire mage but after encountering one yesterday when I was on my ice mage, I suddenly remembered that fire mages can be quite lethal, too. I just started getting back into WoW so I've forgotten a few things.

You HAVE to be aggresive, you cant play defensive. By that I means the longer the battle goes the worse off you are.

I noticed this, too. Will have to keep this in mind.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Great info
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]