Elune's Identity?

90 Dwarf Warrior
12/03/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Mordstreich
The term God is relative. By all accounts, Titans are pretty godlike.
Except not, since Blizzard's firmly established that being a god is actually a meaningful description beyond just "something powerful," even if they haven't fully defined it.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Demigods
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Elune
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Gods
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I just wanted to post this forum post from MMO-Champ I read a while ago. I think it explains that Elune is far more powerful than any Naaru. It feels like if they came out and said she was something other than a God it would be a retcon. It just feels like the only reason they even suggested that was because of the fan speculation, and that blog post on that other fan site.

Arnorei:
Correct... but it's a theory to which the devs direct the people asking questions about Elune. I remember some years ago the same question was asked, and the answer was that Elune is a goddess, the only goddess known in the WoW universe. It was after BC had came, since I started playing in BC and started following the lore better since then.

Now, to same question, the answer is that Velen said she might be a naaru. So the answer is that, Velen said it's a naaru. The answer is no longer "she's a goddess". Look at all the answers, they're clear, and this one is quite clear too, "you want to know what's the deal with Elune? Well that guy, Velen, can tell you.". It's more then a theory now. And to add on this, in previous expansions for example it was a theory troll had that night elves are troll descendents. And what do you know it's true. And it was a theory of one npc that humans are descendants of vrykul, it showed a weaker vrykul child and his conclusions were lore. Mind you, I could have said oozes descend from vrykul as the curse made them softer by the year until some were so soft they became oozes. I could be right, can't I? And if I was an npc, I would be right automatically it seems, with not further check from anyone.

Also, someone asked what makes Elune a Goddess? Good question, and no, Maghda can't be a goddess.
Elune is a goddess because she's immortal, she has powers with which she can even stop wars or give boons to her allies, she can help heal others or shield them from harm and she created a race of demi-gods, the Cenarians(keepers and dryads), she created another race of thin air (the moonkins) and morphed one to resemble her (the night elves). Maghda or a rock can't be gods because they're not immortals and they don't have power over life. Not even the titans are immortal, not even the naaru, shown by Bridenbraid's quest. But Elune is, shown by the quest in Ashenvale where the satyr takes out his heart to save the little girl and not only does he not die, but he's also changed back to night elf. If naaru were so powerful, why don't they change the broken and lost ones who kept their faith in the Light even when it abandoned them back to their former selves? It is clear there is both a stigma as well as physical and mental problems associated with being a broken or lost one, and they're only so because of the use of fel magic from their enemies. Them, the broken, were only trying to protect the weak, and for this they now suffer? They are now weaker then they were? And the naaru do nothing. Because they can not. But Elune can, and she showed she can. The naaru can't bring back the dead, they can merely make their trip to "the other plane" easier. The naaru can't cure fel infestations, they can only ease the effects. Elune can, and has done so. Elune has brought a satyr back to life, Elune has healed incurable gashes through Tyrande in War of the Ancients book. Elune transformed a satyr into a night elf. Elune transformed trolls into night elves. Elune made moonkins from air. Can the naaru do any of these? No, they can not.

Also, someone else mentioned that maybe she made night elves resemble keepers and dryads. Ok. And who do keepers and dryads resemble? I already said that since night elves did not exist before keepers and dryads, Ysera can't be the mother as, even if she chose a mortal form, a night elven form did not exist since the night elves did not exist. Plus, it is more probable they'd have been half-dragons then half-humanoids. So, by logic, dryads and keepers can only resemble their true mother in their humanoid part, Elune. So Elune can only have an upper half at least of what looks similar to a night elf. Elune can't have looked like a troll, since trolls are radically different from night elves except some minor things left in the evolution (ears, skin colour, and that's it, as trolls even have their body covered in a thin lair of hair, night elves only have hair on their head and their eyebrows and beards for males).

Plus, it is shown that in the ... ahem... "bonding" of two different species, the created species isn't radically different and the "bond" isn't full. Centaurs, sons and daughters of a keeper and an earth elemental. They look like dryads and keepers still, like their father, but they have different colours, more earth-like and are closer to the earth in their magic and beliefs and their faces carring the "ugliness" of earth elementals (really, look at them, the females even cover their faces). So dryads and keepers can't be fundamentally different from either parent, and since Malorne is a stag, we know which part is his. In this moment, Elune can only be a humanoid resembling a night elf.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1192014-Butchering-night-elf-lore-%28/page8?p=18317190#post18317190
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/03/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Titan related (Blizzard has firmly said that the Titans are not god and that Elune -is- a true god)?

The term God is relative. By all accounts, Titans are pretty godlike.

Vegdrasil got it right. Blizzard has set out what a god is (more or less) and the Titans are not on that list. They are god-like because of their power, but they aren't gods, while Elune is confirmed to be an actual god. One of the few true gods Azeroth has. (and no it's not the old gods either)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
You never know. We know so little about Elune at this point beyond the fact that she actually exists, judging by the fact that Tyrande and other priestesses actually get their special moon powers. As far as origins and connections to other ancient Azerothian powers such as Titans or Old Gods, if there are any, all we can do now is speculate.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The people of Azeroth know little about Elune. lore buffs know good amount of information but not enough. She should just be a unique Goddess. Yes she's not related to Humans and Stormwind and the Light I'd rather they make it like that.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Troll + Well of Eternity = Night elf.
Naaru + Well of Eternity = Elune?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/03/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Jetzeppelin
You never know. We know so little about Elune at this point beyond the fact that she actually exists, judging by the fact that Tyrande and other priestesses actually get their special moon powers. As far as origins and connections to other ancient Azerothian powers such as Titans or Old Gods, if there are any, all we can do now is speculate.

What we do know, until Blizard retcons it,. is that she is an actual god and that both the Titans and Naaru are -not- gods. The Naaru are rather adamant that no one worship them and the Titans never demand worship. They just make a world and leave.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]